Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

here I am being a dad coz my other son pushed this son off trampoline and he landed on his elbow and is it broke? we just don’t know yet. we’ve been jere for almost 3 hours and it’s almost midnight on sunday night.. i’m making him laugh by talking absolute rubbish and I imagine the people around us think I have brain damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

echinopsis posted:

here I am being a dad coz my other son pushed this son off trampoline and he landed on his elbow and is it broke? we just don’t know yet. we’ve been jere for almost 3 hours and it’s almost midnight on sunday night.. i’m making him laugh by talking absolute rubbish and I imagine the people around us think I have brain damage

trampolines are child maiming machines but tell your son that this is badass

also idk if this will embed right but a friend sent me this which combines both dads and trampolines (ish)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CH0xB5dDckc/?igshid=c0mcjdd5wfrm

Fart Sandwiches posted:

congrats on the baby, rip to your sleep
Yeah, rip.

also thanks!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

trampolines are child maiming machines but tell your son that this is badass

also idk if this will embed right but a friend sent me this which combines both dads and trampolines (ish)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CH0xB5dDckc/?igshid=c0mcjdd5wfrm

ahaha loving laughed out loud

trampolines are sooo good for kids tho. they spend a lot of time on them. i used to bounce for hours and fantasies about being the flying eagle person from he man. good for balance and coordination and as a form of exercise that’s definitely easy to put in a kids life

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hope your boy is ok echi

when we moved into our new house I wanted to get my kids a trampoline cos I never had one growing up

well, doing the research I was kinda shocked how crazy dangerous they are. We used to all sorts of dumb poo poo on them and turns out it was lucky we weren’t seriously hurt

We ended up getting a Springfree which was like $NZD2500 but they are by far the safest apparently so 🤔

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHqnV4Mk_4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
spring free are super safe, my only issue is the mechanism doesn’t lend itself to being as springy as a true metal spring one. suppose if you didn’t know better it’d be fine

boy is ok tho. thankfully not broken, just didn’t get home until 1 he was soooo tired lol. he’s having the day off at my parents place

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that sounds interesting, what's the game called?

https://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3003

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
trampolines are super fun and the simpsons thing where every kid in the neighborhood wants a turn and is horribly hurt on it is completely factual.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i used to bounce on the trampoline with a bunch of friends, and we would "spike" each other. so four kids would coordinate their jumps so that the fifth kid would get a super launch because of the bounce recoil from the other kids. one time i swear i shot 20 feet into the air, then went off the edge and landed on the ground. if wasn't young and had rubber bones i'm sure i would have been crippled

Roosevelt fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 23, 2020

matti
Mar 31, 2019

im wondering if my grandfather beat up my dad, it would explain why my father was such an rear end in a top hat to me growing up

and the whole not having a funeral thing

~~generational trauma~~

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
😳 um
holy poo poo mate are you ok

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
dads: a land of contrasts

my son loves me a lot and (as a 2 year old who still likes being held plenty) prefers me over almost everyone (excepting grandma and grandpa if grandpa is offering a tractor ride).

i'm really happy about the kind of family life that we've been able to make together for our two kids over these four short years since my daughter was born. sometimes it brings powerful feelings about the contrast between this family that i'm taking care of / taking part in now and the family i grew up in. the feelings come more strongly now that i have my son - our youngest of two like I was youngest of two - and, if the reports are to be believed, his personality (sweet, demanding, silly, and fun) is like mine when I was as a very small child.

as one of a couple of millenial childhavers who look like they might be able to provide a stable environment for raising our children, we're doing remarkably well / i probably should let almost everyone else have their turn at complaining about things first

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my dad wants me to visit, during a pandemic, when he also just came back from Idaho

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

prisoner of waffles posted:

my son loves me a lot and (as a 2 year old who still likes being held plenty) prefers me over almost everyone (excepting grandma and grandpa if grandpa is offering a tractor ride).

i'm really happy about the kind of family life that we've been able to make together for our two kids over these four short years since my daughter was born. sometimes it brings powerful feelings about the contrast between this family that i'm taking care of / taking part in now and the family i grew up in. the feelings come more strongly now that i have my son - our youngest of two like I was youngest of two - and, if the reports are to be believed, his personality (sweet, demanding, silly, and fun) is like mine when I was as a very small child.

as one of a couple of millenial childhavers who look like they might be able to provide a stable environment for raising our children, we're doing remarkably well / i probably should let almost everyone else have their turn at complaining about things first
keep up the good work dad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this was good to read.
good for the brain-soul

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Silver Alicorn posted:

my dad wants me to visit, during a pandemic, when he also just came back from Idaho
no bueno. edit: did he have contact with other people or was he in his own, private Idaho?

Kenny Logins posted:

keep up the good work dad

echinopsis posted:

this was good to read.
good for the brain-soul
thanks dudes.

i don't know what kind of dad i had when i was my son's age. my son won't directly remember much about these years, though smartphone photos and video will give him an easy scaffold to recreate and mis-recreate what it was like. doesn't matter- the truth in the form of habits, relationships (especially the relationship with his big sister!), and capacities for feeling are getting baked into his personality.

i wish i had had the kind of dad that i am at present for my son. i also wish that kind of dad (among his other qualities, a hypothetical dad) had stayed engaged, happy, and healthy and that my relationship with him had been a major support as i (uh pardon me while i mangle this metaphor) scaffolded together a stable life.

i'm glad and mystified that i've turned out as well* as i have and sometimes so sad at what i imagine myself having missed out on that i can barely stand it.

i like my actual dad. about half of my faults remind me of his and essentially all of his faults remind me of my own. he was having a rough time in his life before, during, and after i was growing up. he has a bunch of regrets, I think? or maybe in the gap between who he was brought up to think he was and who he actually was, he imagines there was more he could have done to come out closer to the target of the accomplished son, the capable husband, the exemplary father? he's pretty quiet about that gap.

when last i told him about something i was struggling with, he wanted to talk about how the emotional arc of his life first got challenging and confounding after he went away to college but that it was something hard to dig into. at the time i said (and meant) that i would listen if he wanted to talk about it, but that i could tell he didn't want to yet. (today, in a grumpier vein, my thought is less "i'd listen if you want to talk" and more "jesus dude is there a reason you haven't already talked this to death in therapy**?")

going away means the loss of support. i don't think my dad understood how his family, in its way, supported him. (perhaps he knows now?) i think we [humans, generally] easily fail to understand what supports our emotional needs in a given living situation. i had a "bad" relationship with my brother, but when he went away to college i think i felt even worse? his "bad" (or "not good" at a minimum) presence was healthier for me than his absence. i don't think this concept dawned on me until i heard my great uncle, so much younger than my grandmother that she was to him in effect a second mother, talk about the sadness that he felt when she went away to college. i don't know when my great uncle figured this out, but in keeping with the theme of delayed understanding, he told this story at a remembrance after my grandmother died.

my dad was a healthy model of how to deal with being chronically underemployed and how to deal with being in a marriage / family that was frequently (and unnecessarily???) angry, argumentative, controlling in a deeply self-defeating way, ?and abusive? the most important lesson i learned was not wanting to be in the same situation. i feel like i still take moves out of the playbook that i saw him run and, given that i'm not in the same situation, i wish i could cut that poo poo out sometimes.

*haha gently caress you i'm not going to put the actual qualifiers in this post

**talked it to death in therapy and/or posted it for your intimate circle of internet strangers on a [adjectives here] web forum

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 30, 2020

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

echinopsis posted:

nice. what a good dad

in swinging my daughter around by one arm and one leg I hosed up once and dislocated her elbow
1. yes i still feel guilty even though it was good natured roughhousing
2. it is apparently way easier to dislocate the elbows of young children (the term is "nursemaid's elbow")
3. diagnosing and demonstrating the fix for nursemaid's elbow over a video chat is straightforward as hell
4. my daughter still likes to scold me about having done it from time to time

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
i still really appreciate whoever bought me this avatar, way back when. this avatar fuckin rules

old-rear end woodcut is 100%
rime of the ancient mariner is 100%
fishmech beef, usda prime
beard is long and white like chip delany, A+++

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou for sharing. im pleased this thread is here so one can unwind without a feeling like its not the place for it, because it is

sounds like an... interesting.. relationship with your dad.

sounds like you've also learned a lot. its incredibly encouraging that you;re obviously a thoughtful father.

I know of do many parents that just do.. and maybe regret.. but just continue to do. and never really contemplate how they want to be, let alone makes steps toward that.

high five

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

After two and a half months of fighting off covid and just 4 days shy of two months in the hospital, my dad walked out the door today (with a walker) and is heading home.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

After two and a half months of fighting off covid and just 4 days shy of two months in the hospital, my dad walked out the door today (with a walker) and is heading home.
that’s great. recovery is going to be tough but it beats the alternative

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr. Nice! posted:

:toot: :woop: :toot:

excellent news

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

no supplemental oxygen needed, either. he's got a lot of physical therapy to do, but he's going back to work in a month. amazing turnaround.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

☺️

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

no supplemental oxygen needed, either. he's got a lot of physical therapy to do, but he's going back to work in a month. amazing turnaround.

wow dude, that's wonderful. can i ask how your dad is feeling about it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

wow dude, that's wonderful. can i ask how your dad is feeling about it?

he's yelling at people on facebook daily to quit being idiots and to wear masks.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

i still really appreciate whoever bought me this avatar, way back when. this avatar fuckin rules

old-rear end woodcut is 100%
rime of the ancient mariner is 100%
fishmech beef, usda prime
beard is long and white like chip delany, A+++

that was me! i'm very glad you like it! :unsmith:

back when you still had fishmech's av for some reason i saw someone post that you were dragging it around like the albatross in the rime of the ancient mariner and then i just had to make it. i've been annoyed at getting the linebreaks wrong in the av text for the last few years though.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 1, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
BVMTH is on lunch break from zoomschool and asked, of his own free will, to watch the Star Wars Holiday Special.

What hell hath Schadenboner wrought?

:ohdear:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Schadenboner posted:

BVMTH is on lunch break from zoomschool and asked, of his own free will, to watch the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Isn't there a Lego version of this or somthin? I'm not gonna look either way

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Maybe? But he meant Star Wars Holiday Special-actual. With the 90 minutes of (untranslated/unreplied-to) Wookiespeak.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

some really bad posts that’s for sure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fart Sandwiches posted:

there is a lego version but if the kid didnt specify lego, he gets the original

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Mr. Nice! posted:

he's yelling at people on facebook daily to quit being idiots and to wear masks.

that's the good poo poo

a dad of a poster and a posting dad

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

TheFluff posted:

that was me! i'm very glad you like it! :unsmith:

back when you still had fishmech's av for some reason i saw someone post that you were dragging it around like the albatross in the rime of the ancient mariner and then i just had to make it. i've been annoyed at getting the linebreaks wrong in the av text for the last few years though.

niiiiiiice, thanks again.

that experience (having someone change my av to fishmech's then you changing it back) really made me feel like i had finally become a real forum poster, noticeable enough to be worth antagonizing or boosting.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
i had a really nice day yesterday and was feeling quite good by the evening and then dinner time was very pleasant

my daughter bit her tongue (i used to do this all the time when i was a kid and it HURT and was distressing) and was crying loudly at the table. can't really do much to materially fix a bit tongue so i acknowledged she was feeling bad and then asked her to pour seltzer for me and my wife.

she loves pouring drinks for us. it's a quasi-chore that she chose herself so she's really positively interested in doing it and she is invested in trying not to spill very much. asking her to do this silly little chore cheered her right up.

and i think it helps reinforce her sense that she's a helper and important in our family. she spontaneously told me that she loved me and wanted a hug at the end of dinner.

for a while raising children has been a game, to me, of saying roughly "can i really create a good environment for them to grow and develop in? what does that look like? what parts am i not getting right now and how do i do it better? how do i make my feelings of love effective in service of their growth?" (not that i actually ask myself these literal questions with any frequency just, like, that's an attempt to turn my basic concerns into words) and for a while i've been like "yeah you're doing pretty well at this actually" but

there's really nothing like the feeling of love coming back from your child. i like to think that when they express love in this unprompted way, they are sharing with me how it feels when i love and take care of them. it feels good that they love me and it makes me feel good about myself and what I have given them over their still-not-very-numerous years of life.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
the funny thing about caring how i parent so hard is that i know it's because i had a really really mixed experience of being parented.

some parts were good. other parts were absolute dogshit. lots were bad-bad, or normal-bad.

sometimes i think that if i do a good job of raising my kids, they won't think nearly as hard about parenting well and maybe if they have kids one day they'll mess it up for lack of thoughtfulness. but i think most good parenting, out in the wild, is not driven as much by thinking too hard (like i do it) as it is by recreating the good parts of an emotional environment experienced when growing up. hell, even though i think too hard, i'm probably at my best as a parent when i am recreating the good parts of the emotional environment that i experienced when growing up.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i had a really nice day yesterday and was feeling quite good by the evening and then dinner time was very pleasant

my daughter bit her tongue (i used to do this all the time when i was a kid and it HURT and was distressing) and was crying loudly at the table. can't really do much to materially fix a bit tongue so i acknowledged she was feeling bad and then asked her to pour seltzer for me and my wife.

she loves pouring drinks for us. it's a quasi-chore that she chose herself so she's really positively interested in doing it and she is invested in trying not to spill very much. asking her to do this silly little chore cheered her right up.

and i think it helps reinforce her sense that she's a helper and important in our family. she spontaneously told me that she loved me and wanted a hug at the end of dinner.

for a while raising children has been a game, to me, of saying roughly "can i really create a good environment for them to grow and develop in? what does that look like? what parts am i not getting right now and how do i do it better? how do i make my feelings of love effective in service of their growth?" (not that i actually ask myself these literal questions with any frequency just, like, that's an attempt to turn my basic concerns into words) and for a while i've been like "yeah you're doing pretty well at this actually" but

there's really nothing like the feeling of love coming back from your child. i like to think that when they express love in this unprompted way, they are sharing with me how it feels when i love and take care of them. it feels good that they love me and it makes me feel good about myself and what I have given them over their still-not-very-numerous years of life.

my oldest daughter woke up last friday with a ton of new words and seems to have had some kind of mental leap. i told her i loved her the other day and she said "love oo! 'ug!" and ran over and gave me a giant hug then shouted "kees!!" and gave me a bunch of kisses while saying "ma ma ma"

my heart grew ten sizes and i teared up and it's just the fuckin best

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the funny thing about caring how i parent so hard is that i know it's because i had a really really mixed experience of being parented.

some parts were good. other parts were absolute dogshit. lots were bad-bad, or normal-bad.

sometimes i think that if i do a good job of raising my kids, they won't think nearly as hard about parenting well and maybe if they have kids one day they'll mess it up for lack of thoughtfulness. but i think most good parenting, out in the wild, is not driven as much by thinking too hard (like i do it) as it is by recreating the good parts of an emotional environment experienced when growing up. hell, even though i think too hard, i'm probably at my best as a parent when i am recreating the good parts of the emotional environment that i experienced when growing up.

this puts into words how i feel about it as well. growing up my dad wasnt very invested in us because he was always working, and when he wasnt working he was hosed off finding something to do with his time. i reckon that it's because of this that i'm hyper-invested in playing with them and creating as many positive memories as i can.

i definitely overthink it a lot tho lol

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my oldest daughter woke up last friday with a ton of new words and seems to have had some kind of mental leap. i told her i loved her the other day and she said "love oo! 'ug!" and ran over and gave me a giant hug then shouted "kees!!" and gave me a bunch of kisses while saying "ma ma ma"

my heart grew ten sizes and i teared up and it's just the fuckin best

awwwwwwwww. she must be a youngun. god, it's amazing watching them grow language and all the elements of people-ness.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this puts into words how i feel about it as well. growing up my dad wasnt very invested in us because he was always working, and when he wasnt working he was hosed off finding something to do with his time. i reckon that it's because of this that i'm hyper-invested in playing with them and creating as many positive memories as i can.

i definitely overthink it a lot tho lol

overthinkin crew represent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for sharing those dudes. I appreciated reading them

as far as concerns go.. I think if you're anything like me, your relationship with your kids wont be one like a student and a teacher where the student isnt privy to the decisions the teacher makes, but is a much more equal relationship, where you discuss how you parent alongside doing it. you will learn from your children how to parent better, and you will discuss how and why you do or are certain ways. you'll talk to your kids about your relationship with your own father, and discuss the concerns.
our generation has a lot more healthy approaches to parenting, and I think by the sounds of it, you children wont necessarily take for granted how good things are, but also understand there were many purposeful decisions and lessons that went into things being the way they are.

high five