Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

miniature two hander is currently on a "feed constantly from midnight to 5-6AM" kick so I'm on day duty while she isn't feeding as much and woah does it suck as parents to be 6-8 hours out of sync with each other, this is definitely poo poo they don't warn you about and I am super relieved that I've got a whole chunk of paternity leave otherwise we'd be *hosed*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

echinopsis posted:

thanks for sharing those dudes. I appreciated reading them

as far as concerns go.. I think if you're anything like me, your relationship with your kids wont be one like a student and a teacher where the student isnt privy to the decisions the teacher makes, but is a much more equal relationship, where you discuss how you parent alongside doing it. you will learn from your children how to parent better, and you will discuss how and why you do or are certain ways. you'll talk to your kids about your relationship with your own father, and discuss the concerns.
our generation has a lot more healthy approaches to parenting, and I think by the sounds of it, you children wont necessarily take for granted how good things are, but also understand there were many purposeful decisions and lessons that went into things being the way they are.

high five

open communication is best. my parents are basically unknown emotion boxes who never fought or displayed a way to handle conflict or talk about issues, but they sure as poo poo knew how to use a belt to “give you a reason to cry”. if that’s my starting point I can obviously do better so when we found out the little one was on the way last year we started therapy as a couple and it has helped us really open up communication with each other as parents and with the bb.

everyone should get therapy at least to deal with their issues with parents, especially if you got a little one of your own. overcome that bullshit and don’t become them

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

miniature two hander is currently on a "feed constantly from midnight to 5-6AM" kick so I'm on day duty while she isn't feeding as much and woah does it suck as parents to be 6-8 hours out of sync with each other, this is definitely poo poo they don't warn you about and I am super relieved that I've got a whole chunk of paternity leave otherwise we'd be *hosed*
https://twitter.com/oldlinds/status/1192810026127241216?s=21

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i didnt get much done today because i found out my dad needs to have capital s Serious Major Heart Surgery done soon, which is not good for someone his age and in his condition. im pretty bummed out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate .. 😥

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

My dad taught me a lot about being a dad by counterexample.

Around 1992, our family car broke down and my dad took it upon himself to go to the nearby police auction and get a new one. He came back home with a 1986 4 cylinder black Chevy Camaro coupe with a glass T-Top roof and about 110k miles on it. My 11 year old brain couldn't understand why my mom was so upset about this insanely cool race car.

Today my kids ride in a Honda Odyssey.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my mum has been telling me it's amazing how much more involved my dad is with my son than he was with me, because he was working all the time when I was little. she's a little in awe but it's a bit sad for me too. I'm glad he gets to be a good grandad though :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i'm really pleased to read that. heartwarming if slightly bittersweet. :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my dad was an ok dad. not bad, just mostly had his own life going on. bit of a useless grandad tho. barely does anything with the kids except criticise things like "you're wearing your watch on your wrong hand". thanks dad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my dad was just in at work “if you don’t get anything from me for xmas don’t be offended, it’s just because I couldn’t be bothered”

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I'm responsible for both kids in the AM on Tuesday and Wednesday and I have no, no idea what I am going to do.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

TimWinter posted:

I'm responsible for both kids in the AM on Tuesday and Wednesday and I have no, no idea what I am going to do.

how old are they

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

TimWinter posted:

you’re going to do great

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

you have time to get washable markers and coloring books from the dollar store, things of that nature

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I became a dad for the second time when my son was born. a week later, he devoloped a slight fever. took him to the doctors, who sent us straight to the hospital for observation. for a week we stayed there, no idea what was wrong. every day they drew blood, ran tests, but still he spiked a fever every few hours. on the seventh day, my wife had stayed overnight so I came in, swapped with her a sent her home to shower and look after our daughter while I comforted my son for the morning blood test. they pricked his heel, took the blood, and I pressed a tissue to the wound. but the bleeding wouldn't stop. two hours I held him, pressing the tissue to his heel, but it still wouldn't stop. then the doctors came. they said words i can't remember, but next it was a tiny form on a giant stretcher, frantic nurses, and an ambulance pulling away, sirens blaring and I was alone.
he was taken 150 miles to one of the only places that had any idea how to treat him, and by the time I'd got home got packed and got there he was already in a coma in the pediatric intensive care unit. the doctors ushered us into a small room where we had the talk.
the first two nights we had to get a hotel, then a room opened in the ronald macdonald house next door. it's a charity set up to provide free accommodation for parents who live far from the hospitals their children are in. each day we would walk past other parents in similar circumstances, i learned to recognise the brittle smiles that never reach your eyes that we shared as we passed in the corridors. each day I went in to sit by his tiny body as machines breathed, washed his blood, and pumped medicine after medicine.
four weeks we waited, until at last he opened his eyes again. the baby blue was gone, the toxins that had ravaged his body had turned the iris almost pure black. and so began the long road home.
its his eighth christmas now. he still has unnaturally dark eyes, and so many scars from needles and biopsies.
being a dad is hard, but still worth it.

do me a favour, next time you get a mac donalds, please drop the change in the little charity box.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

how old are they

this is relevant

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OzyMandrill posted:

I became a dad for the second time when my son was born. a week later, he devoloped a slight fever. took him to the doctors, who sent us straight to the hospital for observation. for a week we stayed there, no idea what was wrong. every day they drew blood, ran tests, but still he spiked a fever every few hours. on the seventh day, my wife had stayed overnight so I came in, swapped with her a sent her home to shower and look after our daughter while I comforted my son for the morning blood test. they pricked his heel, took the blood, and I pressed a tissue to the wound. but the bleeding wouldn't stop. two hours I held him, pressing the tissue to his heel, but it still wouldn't stop. then the doctors came. they said words i can't remember, but next it was a tiny form on a giant stretcher, frantic nurses, and an ambulance pulling away, sirens blaring and I was alone.
he was taken 150 miles to one of the only places that had any idea how to treat him, and by the time I'd got home got packed and got there he was already in a coma in the pediatric intensive care unit. the doctors ushered us into a small room where we had the talk.
the first two nights we had to get a hotel, then a room opened in the ronald macdonald house next door. it's a charity set up to provide free accommodation for parents who live far from the hospitals their children are in. each day we would walk past other parents in similar circumstances, i learned to recognise the brittle smiles that never reach your eyes that we shared as we passed in the corridors. each day I went in to sit by his tiny body as machines breathed, washed his blood, and pumped medicine after medicine.
four weeks we waited, until at last he opened his eyes again. the baby blue was gone, the toxins that had ravaged his body had turned the iris almost pure black. and so began the long road home.
its his eighth christmas now. he still has unnaturally dark eyes, and so many scars from needles and biopsies.

do me a favour, next time you get a mac donalds, please drop the change in the little charity box.

❤️❤️❤️

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

my childhood best friend and his single mom also got a lot of help from the ronald mcdonald house because of his severe asthma. it's true, the clown saves people.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

OzyMandrill posted:

rmdh room was huge for us when ours was born and we didn’t even have any major baby hiccups (just a botched epidural). big same and congrats dad, keep up the good work

incidentally my kid had blue eyes (like mineg when she was born but they turned very dark brown (like her mom’s) by 6 months. don’t beat yourself up over the small stuff like that

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

TimWinter posted:

disney+ is your saviour if they are young and its only for a short while

mine are young enough that after a movie one is happy to "help" me code (on an old keyboard) and the other is busy crawling on my dog

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
i took my kid to the zoo for the first time (9.5 mo old) and she gosh dang loved it. surprisingly almost everyone was wearing a mask, even outdoors, and the ones who didn't painted themselves in chud colors that made them easily avoidable. i highly recommend everyone take a wee one to the zoo if possible

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

i took my kid to the zoo for the first time (9.5 mo old) and she gosh dang loved it. surprisingly almost everyone was wearing a mask, even outdoors, and the ones who didn't painted themselves in chud colors that made them easily avoidable. i highly recommend everyone take a wee one to the zoo if possible
get used to that zoo lol

but yes otherwise it's a great place to be being as dadde

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

kids loving love the zoo. we buy annual memberships

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gentle Autist posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as the kids age, my experience was what they enjoyed was going to the zoo with their dad, much more than just going to the zoo.

and I dont mean vs mum i just mean, the time out with me was what kept those visits good

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

willowbank supremacy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um actually orana park supremacy

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

wrong. poor form to start 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gentle Autist posted:

i was always a way bigger fan of the science museum as a kid because there was stuff you could interact with and was in general much more tactile. can't pet the penguins lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I used to do full contact karate and every year I say I'm gonna start doing it again and I never do because I'm basically scared that I can't handle it through youth alone like when I was 18, and now I have family

the stupid thing is I only started to prove some nebulous point to my dad because when I started university he saw a flyer from the club and said "ha, that's what I used to do!" and I guess I thought I'd do it to prove I wasn't completely physically useless like I thought he thought it was, but I actually kept at it for 3 years and was actually OK at it. I think he was genuinely surprised.

I will get mini two hander to do some sort of martial art if I can, but in a way more supportive way than my dad did when he got me to do judo aged about 9 and basically laughed at how crap I was.

probably won't get her straight into full contact hard/soft style though. Bleeding knuckles is "cool" when you're 19 and male, less so when you're a small girl. Then you just get child services called.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

my dad and I were estranged for 15 years, and were beginning to rebuild our relationship when he died suddenly in a work accident recently. every once in a while I’ll get a text from my godfather (who was his best friend for a long time before they also had a falling out) and he’ll find a picture or remember something that reminded him of my dad and tell me about it. last night he sent me this.

:gbsmith:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate ...

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
as part of generally encouraging my 4 y/o daughter to take care of herself, enjoy exercise and growing, etc. I've talked with her a lot about how eating, sleeping, and exercise help keep our bodies healthy, growing, and feeling good.

Over the last couple of weeks she's really gotten into her (virtual, distance-learning) pre-K 4 physical education classes, and has wanted to spend more time running and doing the sort of interval exercises that their teacher has them doing. now she very much likes to tell us all about how she's going to be tall and strong - she expects to be taller than her mother by the time she's 5 years old, lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol if she believes it tho it might just happen

:)

I just remembered how my dad has a jet boat that he wasn’t used since 1999 and it lives up the drive and every year it’s worth less and less but he won’t sell it, we suspect because he’s afraid to find out how little it’s really worth.. anyway he’s always broke he should sell it just like he should sell his motorcycle

he has this weird idea about the value of things. everything is worth what he paid for it. he’s got a load of old fishing reels, “this ones worth $600” he tells me. he’s got a strange ideal about value and materialism.

there’s a lot of poo poo around the garage he’ll never use again but he won’t sell it or loan it. occasionally he’ll find the least useful of them and give them to me and then i need to find a home for it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

my dad is well off enough that he has never even considered selling things that have any value. if he doesn't want it, it gets trucked to the landfill. it's completely wasteful. my mom has gotten mad at him several times because she'll have a pile of clothes or a piece of furniture she was going to donate, but he's already thrown it in a trailer and carted it off to the dump.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

echinopsis posted:

lol if she believes it tho it might just happen

:)

I just remembered how my dad has a jet boat that he wasn’t used since 1999 and it lives up the drive and every year it’s worth less and less but he won’t sell it, we suspect because he’s afraid to find out how little it’s really worth.. anyway he’s always broke he should sell it just like he should sell his motorcycle

he has this weird idea about the value of things. everything is worth what he paid for it. he’s got a load of old fishing reels, “this ones worth $600” he tells me. he’s got a strange ideal about value and materialism.

there’s a lot of poo poo around the garage he’ll never use again but he won’t sell it or loan it. occasionally he’ll find the least useful of them and give them to me and then i need to find a home for it

A few years ago my father-in-law had a meltdown at me because when we were living in their house I put some speakers in the garage and he was like "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I PAID FOR THIS in 1996!?" And he had just told me they didn't work!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

my mum spends a lot of her time selling stuff on nz version of ebay, and she’s always been happy to sell or get rid of things. I think it bothers my dad, largely because he’s bought into the whole “the big dog with the most toys wins” bullshit.

idk why he cares all he does is watch youtube

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

my dad is well off enough that he has never even considered selling things that have any value. if he doesn't want it, it gets trucked to the landfill. it's completely wasteful. my mom has gotten mad at him several times because she'll have a pile of clothes or a piece of furniture she was going to donate, but he's already thrown it in a trailer and carted it off to the dump.

evidence points toward boomers actively despising the environment

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

evidence points toward boomers actively despising the environment

i don't think it's generational per se, just assholes. i worked with a lady my age who made a point of throwing her soda cans in the garbage even tho the recycle bin was right next to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
My folks are taking turns calling to see how me and my sick fam are doing. It's obvious that they're worried but keep it light and toned down because you know, that's what you do with your adult son and his wife/kids.

Note: they're way sicker than we are and it still hits my feels that they're doing daily check ins until we get better, despite the million of their own problems they could be preoccupied with.