Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

caligulamprey posted:

The dude saying Borat could sell his daughter for $500 and the look of pure revulsion and "that's loving disgusting" the daughter gives to her dad was absolutely perfect.

That girl was the only glimmer of hope in that sea of poo poo. Good on her, I’m glad it made the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah I actually thought this one was a lot better than the first. I love SBC but have always thought Borat and Bruno were his weakest characters.

Too bad da Ali G movie inexplicably sucks

Edit: also, SBC kills it as Abbie Hoffman in Trial of the Chicago 7 (the new Sorkin movie on Netflix)

That's a really odd opinion, Borat and Bruno are the absolute best at exposing people being horribly racist/homophobic/vapid, while Ali G just trolls people, which isn't as funny. Even in trolling, Borat generally does it better than Ali G. His best ever character is the Assad guy, just due to accomplishing the absolute worst moment of exposure to the point the Republican Rep had to resign.

Ali G movie is okay enough - it got Tywin Lannister to dance in a leotard so there's that.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
borat: gift of sexy monkey to vice premier mikhail pence, was a very good film. I had many more laughs than I expected going in, honestly. gotta echo that the daughter actress was absolutely phenomenal. SBC and her are a supremely powerful combo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
this movie felt a lot sadder than the first Borat, to be honest.

like, the first one is, subtextually, sort of a warning that there's a weird-rear end (and frankly kind of goofy, on a small scale) darkness to our culture that we really, really need to work on. this one... is more or less SBC coming back to the character to go "welp, you assholes didn't listen, all of that poo poo consumed America entirely, you're all hosed."

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/BoratSagdiyev/status/1319663161071431691?s=20

lol this didn't even make it into the movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh my god Borat gave Trump COVID

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

veni veni veni posted:

Even if he wasn’t actually playing with his dick (something I’m not even sure of) he was 100% creeping on her.

Even if it was edited to hell and back and they baited him as much as possible. That was still a man who thought he was about to get laid.

Now imagine it wasn't some prankster like SBC who effortlessly got him into a compromising position like this, but a foreign intelligence service with much more malicious intentions.

:thunk:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Wow, they got into the White House and didn't even use any of it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: Holy poo poo I wonder how much poo poo they got into.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Reminds me of Palin coming out and saying she got duped for Who is America and she didn't end up in the final cut. Cohen probably has hours of great footage that he's never shown anyone.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

this movie felt a lot sadder than the first Borat, to be honest.

like, the first one is, subtextually, sort of a warning that there's a weird-rear end (and frankly kind of goofy, on a small scale) darkness to our culture that we really, really need to work on. this one... is more or less SBC coming back to the character to go "welp, you assholes didn't listen, all of that poo poo consumed America entirely, you're all hosed."

LOL I felt this. Also cringed through a lot of it because how could you not lol that poo poo was crazy. Good stuff, I laughed a bunch.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The trailer they put out before the movie came out is almost entirely new dialogue

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

caligulamprey posted:

IMDB (a trusted source) says SBC stayed shacked up with the QAnon dudes for five days without breaking character, which I hope is true. Give me a movie of just that.

The dude saying Borat could sell his daughter for $500 and the look of pure revulsion and "that's loving disgusting" the daughter gives to her dad was absolutely perfect.

I think he said $500,000, which is more disturbing since an old white dude could name a price for sex trafficking off the top of his head

I would have had the daughter try to interview Mark Zuckerberg about why Facebook lied to her about the holocaust never happening

Good poo poo

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I can listen to him say "McDonald Trump" over and over.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Since people seemed to have trouble getting into the post movie thing, it was about a half hour of Q&A that seemed somewhat scripted. Like, the people who agreed to do it were randoms, but they were told what question they were to ask. It was pretty good, and SBC did some improvisational stuff while interacting with them too.

After that, it was a half hour or so of a dance party.

I enjoyed the movie and laughed out loud at parts. I think more people in it knew and understood they were doing a bit, but I'm not sure they knew what that bit was. Maybe the growth of reality TV has forced that to be the case because it's harder to fool people that what's happening is genuine when a camera is there, and somewhat normalized being a sort-of on-camera audience as well as facilitator for these kinds of bits.

It had a different feel than the first one, but ultimately I enjoyed it. The underlying father-daughter storyline was genuinely sweet. I want to see more of the Donald-Melania cartoon. When he grabbed her and they started dancing I about died.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 23, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Lol where did they find this girl? She is truly on SBC levels of not giving a gently caress.

Her name is Maria Bakilova and Cohen claims she was picked from 600 actresses.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

https://twitter.com/BoratSagdiyev/status/1319431436550561792?s=20

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One of the most important scenes in the movie, and one I haven't heard discussed much, is when Borat showed the conspiracy nuts his "daughter owners' manual", and all of a sudden they were like "nah, that's a conspiracy theory, that's not real, you can't be doing that poo poo!"

It speaks to the brainwashing process that goes on, and the fact that these aren't all just dumb, uncaring assholes. They've been systematically broken and abused by our society but, I mean, they thought that their new buddy was going to be executed and they gave a poo poo and tried to help him, all while saying Obama should go to jail and the democrats are worse than Coronavirus. We can't accept those nuts as they are, and it's not easy to deprogram them, but that scene made me think it's not a lost cause.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The babysitter is a ray of light in this dark world.

LesboCupid
Sep 8, 2011
I missed the post credits scene and can't find any info about it online. Can someone please fill me in on what happened?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

LesboCupid posted:

I missed the post credits scene and can't find any info about it online. Can someone please fill me in on what happened?

Borat walks into his home. It’s dark but you can see a the silhouette of a man with a black leather jacket. On the table is a folder with CLASSIFIED and photos of Ali G and Bruno. Samuel L Jackson walks out of the shadows and says “Mr. Sagdiev, I’m here to talk to you about the Avengers initiative.” Cut to black.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

LesboCupid posted:

There's no post credits scene, it's just a static image with a quote that's a tribute to Judith Dim Evans, the holocaust survivor who appeared in the synagogue scene. She died very recently (though I can't find exactly when---within the last couple days if not actually yesterday as far as I can tell).

edit: okay, apparently she passed "sometime this summer" but I can't find precisely when

edit2: here's a pic
https://twitter.com/StefanTetelepta/status/1319612357501505537

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 24, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PT6A posted:

One of the most important scenes in the movie, and one I haven't heard discussed much, is when Borat showed the conspiracy nuts his "daughter owners' manual", and all of a sudden they were like "nah, that's a conspiracy theory, that's not real, you can't be doing that poo poo!"

It speaks to the brainwashing process that goes on, and the fact that these aren't all just dumb, uncaring assholes. They've been systematically broken and abused by our society but, I mean, they thought that their new buddy was going to be executed and they gave a poo poo and tried to help him, all while saying Obama should go to jail and the democrats are worse than Coronavirus. We can't accept those nuts as they are, and it's not easy to deprogram them, but that scene made me think it's not a lost cause.

Yeah, tbh I liked how it humanized them without making excuses for their beliefs. I think it's really easy to just look down on these people (let's be fair, they make it pretty drat easy) but ultimately they are just brainwashed by the insane loving society we live in. And those dudes didn't seem outwardly racist or evil or anything. Just duped by the media they surrounded themselves in.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

That's what I liked a lot about this. It wasn't 100% punching down on people. He was going after the people up top. Obviously there's no way a buncha hicks in Washington/Oregon would just let a dude stay with them for a while with a camera crew, but they made it work well.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was genuinely laugh out loud funny in multiple places, and neatly dealt with the problem of Borat as a cultural touchstone. I really hope to see Bakalova get more work because she was outstanding.

Teenage Fansub posted:

You don't think he gave time to those synagogue ladies in the genuine wish to relay their message?

I know her family is embarrassed for her and trying to sue, but who knows what she actually thought of it.

They say they have footage of her being in on the joke.

The Human Crouton posted:

I hated it. I was deciding whether to place it above or below Zoolander 2 while I was watching it, and by the end it was definitely below.

I have never found Sacha Baron Cohen funny with the exception of Borat 1, which is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I remember him making up some bullshit about how he created Borat as a way to expose the anti-Semitism in America, which is obviously him just trying to pretend that he is a superior for making money off of Jew jokes while admonishing the people who give him money for his Jew jokes. I think that everything he has ever done is mean spirited, and he happened to fluke on Borat 1 by accidentally making a character so innocent and charming that the Borat character was able to defeat Sacha's malicious intentions for one movie. A mistake that Sacha Baron Cohen corrected with Borat 2.

I also found it tiresome that he went the late night talk show route of pointing to Republicans to get the mandatory laughter. Combine that with the "look at these current events" cringefest at the end with mansplaining, and the Karens, and other low-hanging fruit; and I feel like I was stuck on my worst friend's facebook page for two hours.

Overall, I didn't feel like I was watching Borat the character. I felt like I was watching Sacha Baron Cohen himself proudly plan his hilarious scheme to fart on his sister like a kid who was whispering too loud. And after he had farted on his sister, I had to watch him again proudly come up with his next plan of... farting on his sister.

I will end this review with the only line that got a laugh out of me.
the perverts have to be medical personnel

With this level of wrong-headedness you could have been in the film.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 24, 2020

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just saw the movie and cringed so many times. Worthy sequel, I think it might even be better than the original.

Still, I wonder if SBC has said anything about what the third act would have been if not for COVID; the final scenes make sense only is this awful world, so I'd like to know what got scrapped to make the best of these circumstances.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
hearing Pence talk about covid at cpac is among the most cringeworthy of moments.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

hearing Pence talk about covid at cpac is among the most cringeworthy of moments.

Right around the corner, just about the disappear!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Went back to cap this

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

"deposit upon scheduling: $1,000"

sounds like they didn't need that $72 immediately.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It was genuinely laugh out loud funny in multiple places, and neatly dealt with the problem of Borat as a cultural touchstone. I really hope to see Bakalova get more work because she was outstanding.

They say they have footage of her being in on the joke.

You can clearly tell they're in on it from the way the scene is shot, it feels like a special guest cameo scene from a sitcom.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I liked it a lot. I'm glad I could pause it every ten minutes or so to avoid gasping in hilarity or horror.

Cohen is kinder to his subjects than he might have been. Some of the victims are clearly in on the gag, and some (Giuliani) are clearly not. One guy in the bathroom scene has his face blurred, so he must have refused to sign something.

Practically all the other participants must be collaborators to some extent. This seems like a kindness on SBC's part. They could've looked worse if we didn't suspect they were playing along.

The people credited as "Location Managers" did some heavy lifting. How did they keep SBC out of jail after CPAC? He probably had a valid floor pass.

And, of course, whatever legal waivers they needed from Giuliani were probably folded into whatever he signed, while drunk, in order to be interviewed.

The throwaway gag near the end where Borat coughs on the dead bird in the wet market had me rolling.

edit: Oh yeah, the thing they hooked Giuliani with is an ancient blackmail scheme called "The Badger Game." It's transparent and very crooked. Somebody like Giuliani should be able to recognize this and not fall for it, but he did.

bitey fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 24, 2020

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bitey posted:

Practically all the other participants must be collaborators to some extent. This seems like a kindness on SBC's part. They could've looked worse if we didn't suspect they were playing along.

Years ago I saw an interview with SBC that discussed this. Basically a producer tells them that this Borat guy is from a country that's a bit backward so he might do some strange things, and to just roll with it.

God bless that wonderful babysitter. And that teenage girl from the debutante ball that calls her dad a loving rear end in a top hat for eye-loving Tutar. And drat Maria Bakalova was incredible. Hope this is a breakout role for her. She deserves it.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 24, 2020

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Add my husband and I to the group who didn’t even think about “McDonald Trump” as a catchphrase.

When we heard it, he paused and was basically, “how has this not been said or used before?!”

It’s just so perfect.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bitey posted:

Cohen is kinder to his subjects than he might have been. Some of the victims are clearly in on the gag, and some (Giuliani) are clearly not. One guy in the bathroom scene has his face blurred, so he must have refused to sign something.

There was an ep of 30 Rock that was a fake reality show ("The Queen of Jordan"), and there was a guy who's face was blurred, and he demanded to sign a release, so the world could learn about "Blurry Face Syndrome".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Add my husband and I to the group who didn’t even think about “McDonald Trump” as a catchphrase.

When we heard it, he paused and was basically, “how has this not been said or used before?!”

It’s just so perfect.

SBC may be the only person alive capable of actually mocking Donald Trump

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

bitey posted:

edit: Oh yeah, the thing they hooked Giuliani with is an ancient blackmail scheme called "The Badger Game." It's transparent and very crooked. Somebody like Giuliani should be able to recognize this and not fall for it, but he did.

If I remember Hamilton right, the Badger scheme involves some sort of blackmail after the fact. I think the old dude was just stupid and horny.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Twenty minutes in, had to stop watching because I couldn't control my laughter in the pro-life dude's office.

Is :nice:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I want more of the Trump - Melania faux Disney cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I would have loved it if they dialed down the plot and added more gags. In the original, the plot was there to tie the pranks together, but it seemed to be the other way around. The female actress did a really great job, and I hope she doesn't suffer the Jackass curse, where the outrageous nature of the gags ground their careers before it has a chance to take off. Goes without saying but obviously SCB has managed to avoid this, and I hope he can guide her through the aftermath.