Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

I've only seen it once, but does she flirt with him at all? I read that she touches his thighs, but I don't remember that.

I remember her talking about how excited she is to be interviewing him and stuff. Does she give any indication that she is interested in him in that way? I know she invites him to her hotel room, but that's for the interview and there's even a crew member (Borat) there. Was Rudy basically about to Louie CK her? Or was she leading him on in a badger game-ish way?

pretty sure he initiates all physical contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Very niiiice. It might even be as good as the original, but watching it alone at home just doesn't feel the same as in a packed theater, and things have gotten way crazier since then to the point that nothing really seems surprising any more, e.g.

The abortion scene (which was spoiled in the trailer), jew cake and chop 'em like the Saudis do were still pretty amazing. As for Rudy, I found it more shocking that he just straight up said that China manufactured the virus and released it deliberately, than his tuck and tug maneuver. Trum's been all Jina virus this and that but I don't recall this being their position.

PS. I don't think it's been posted here so here's an interview with SBC about the Rudy situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05HNhZRMO00

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Breadallelogram posted:

pretty sure he initiates all physical contact

Nah, she puts her hand on his knee first.

But like, she's 24 (and looked a bit younger than that). That's enough to make it creepy because he's seventy-six

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

But like, she's 24 (and looked a bit younger than that). That's enough to make it creepy because he's seventy-six

oh yeah my bad

Rudy's innocent... NOT! (reference to the first borat movie)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's funny Maria actually has the accent. I assumed she was American or something putting it on.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's funny Maria actually has the accent. I assumed she was American or something putting it on.

Nah, she's from Bulgaria so it's presumably all-natural.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Simone Magus posted:

It wouldn't be any less creepy if she was older.

There's a really weird thing where celebrities tend to date younger people. For example, both David Bowie and Steve Tyler dated pre-teenager girls and they are still openly revered. There are people in this forum with David Bowie avatars. I don't get it.

I'm of the opinion that two consenting adults should do whatever they want. It's when kids are involved that I draw the line.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
She was playing a 15 year old at the time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

mobby_6kl posted:

Very niiiice. It might even be as good as the original, but watching it alone at home just doesn't feel the same as in a packed theater, and things have gotten way crazier since then to the point that nothing really seems surprising any more, e.g.

That's what I remember most from watching Borat in theatres in 2006. Just the entire theatre laughing their asses off and me nearly falling out my chair at a few scenes. It was such a collective moment and all throughout Borat 2 I kept thinking "man, that would be hysterical in a packed theatre" while merely chuckling.

Now that I think about it: that was the appeal of Borat. Seeing a movie just so goddamned outrageous with a crowd and have a hard cathartic laugh.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Bioshuffle posted:

There's a really weird thing where celebrities tend to date younger people. For example, both David Bowie and Steve Tyler dated pre-teenager girls and they are still openly revered. There are people in this forum with David Bowie avatars. I don't get it.

I'm of the opinion that two consenting adults should do whatever they want. It's when kids are involved that I draw the line.

I don't think you'd call what Bowie and Tyler did "dating"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

She was playing a 15 year old at the time.

He didn't know that though. Not that it makes him less of a skeezeball.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

People like that are revered because "Do whatever you want, no matter how gross, as long as you're rich" pairs extremely well with the "Sure bro you can totally be rich like us one day if you vote for us" republican talking point poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/BoratSagdiyev/status/1320421640161742848?s=20

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

It was alright. Definitely not as good as the first for me, and I agree that there was too much plotline tying skits together rather than the opposite. It also feels a lot less perennial than Borat 1 for some reason, but it's interesting because it gives the movie a uniqueness compared to the original. I didn't like that there was seemingly less improv/raw trolling, but the movie makes it clear it's because Borat is too recognizable. It makes sense that they had to use the disguises but I prefer just Borat as Borat.

That being said, Tutar was excellent. She felt like the star of the show and her synergy with SBC helps sell her character - not to a creepy old debutant dad thankfully - as cut from the same cloth as Borat. I missed Azamat especially because he's still hilarious in Cobra Kai ("Thank you very much but I can scratch my own balls!") but him as Head Chair was fantastic, and the movie would have been too cluttered if he had to steal some of Tutar's screentime.

I really think a straight-up Tutar movie would have been preferable, though obviously far less marketable. I liked this one but it'll be harder to rewatch it because I just want this year done and over with culturally.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I thought it mostly sucked, but there were a few good gags.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I don't particularly find the Borat schtick as funny as it used to be, but GODDAMN Maria knocked that poo poo out of the park as Tutar. Just a vibrant, fun performance and her willingness to go as bugnuts as SBC is insane. She is the heart and soul of the movie, and I almost like it more than the first one just because of her.

Nothing in the film tops the bear in the first film though (or the censored dicks in the Borat/Azmat fight)

Edit: One moment that got a huge laugh out of me was Borat in disguise as the boom operator telling Guliani to marry more cousins, because it felt much more vicious than Borat usually does, and Guliani IMMEDIATELY got visibly pissed off. Pure gold.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 26, 2020

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I want Maria, SBC and Nathan Fielder to do a bit together

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Edit: One moment that got a huge laugh out of me was Borat in disguise as the boom operator telling Guliani to marry more cousins, because it felt much more vicious than Borat usually does, and Guliani IMMEDIATELY got visibly pissed off. Pure gold.

There's practically no chance he actually said that to Giuliani. It's the only shot in the whole sequence with the camera pushed in and Giuliani not in frame. Similarly, it's extremely likely the "you can give me your address and phone number" is audio from another part of the recording.
The audio is also a little funky on "Rudy, Trump would be disappoint, you're leaving hotel without golden shower" and SBC has his back to the camera, so I don't think that was shouted in the moment, either.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I choose to believe it's all real and happened exactly as portrayed.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Justin Godscock posted:

That's what I remember most from watching Borat in theatres in 2006. Just the entire theatre laughing their asses off and me nearly falling out my chair at a few scenes. It was such a collective moment and all throughout Borat 2 I kept thinking "man, that would be hysterical in a packed theatre" while merely chuckling.

Now that I think about it: that was the appeal of Borat. Seeing a movie just so goddamned outrageous with a crowd and have a hard cathartic laugh.

I dont remember my theater-going experiences all that well, but that one is burned in me. I was early into dating the person in which she and I are in a committed, legally-recognized relationship and we laughed our asses off and it confirmed we had similar senses of humor (she also laughed during Wonder Showzen, so I had my suspicions we'd get along there).

Had the abortion gag not been in the trailer and I was in a packed theater, it may have killed me the way SBC and Maria played that fantastically sophomoric bit out.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/sachabaroncohen/status/1321230276878430214?s=21

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Literal human trash lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If Amazon doesn't release some sort of behind the scenes/making of+deleted scenes compendium for piece for this I will be sad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That seems like it should have been in the movie. Were those nazis? Did they recognize him or just think he was Jewish?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Most likely they just realized they were getting trolled. The fact that their default mode was to act like rabid dogs is really something else though.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

the video that came out of that event over the summer is 8 and a half straight minutes of him performing that song (and who knows how long he'd been up there before the video starts) so I wonder how many times they heard that chord progression before realizing he was loving with them

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That seems like it should have been in the movie. Were those nazis? Did they recognize him or just think he was Jewish?

I think by that point someone had worked out who it was and word had spread.

I hope there’s a ton of this footage, I’d love to watch all the behind the scenes stuff of how it was put together. Bits and pieces will come out in the press like the cotillion idiots at least.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

That part of the movie actually made the news when it happened but no one realized it was for a borat movie. IIRC it was the event organizers that caught on and tried to cut the sound but SBC had a ton of security lol.

Also:

https://twitter.com/yoursoundbae/status/1277120638742786051?s=21

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Maria Bakalova is legit outstanding, like holy poo poo, she deserves to be huge from this.

Like right from the delivery of Father, why is the sky so low? and on oh my goooood :lol:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
who cares what rudy was doing while he had his loving shoes on the god drat bed. that's how you know he's a monster.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Funniest moment for me was Tutar asking why she needed a nose job followed by Borat's gasp of relief when the doctor reassures them she doesn't have a "Jew nose."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's a GoFundMe setup for the lady who played the babysitter in the movie since she only received $3,600 for her part.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jeanise-jones-borat-movie

Up to $93K right now. She was pretty cool about things all considered.

quote:

While Jones may have been tricked by Cohen and the Borat team, she (unsurprisingly!) holds no ill will. In an interview with Variety, Jones contradicted a New York Post article that claimed she felt “betrayed” by the filmmakers. “I don’t know where they got that from,” she said. “I’m not ever going to say I was betrayed because it was partially my fault I didn’t read the contracts. I’ll take my responsibility on that.”

She also said she was shocked when she first met Borat and Tutar, but tried to do her best to show understanding. “My patience comes from God. I used to not have any patience at all,” she explained. “But in that kind of situation, you can’t help but have patience because you’re trying to help somebody — at least, that’s what I thought. I was trying to give the best advice I know.”

In the end, she was “glad to know [Tutar] is not really in that situation,” and was actually left impressed by Bakalova’s acting. Cohen has been pumping her up as a potential Oscar contender, and Jones agreed. “Yes, she was good. She had me good and fooled. She’s a darn good actress. She played her part very well.”

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why exactly does she need 100k to being in a comedy movie for like 5min?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Probably for the same reason that everyone wants to get paid for their labor?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

trash take, considering the plot hinges on her genuine and caring reactions. she was lovely, and deserves more then 500 bucks for that

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Famethrowa posted:

trash take, considering the plot hinges on her genuine and caring reactions. she was lovely, and deserves more then 500 bucks for that

Yeah exactly this, if she was only in it for the first part where Tutar is dropped off then sure but a ton of Tutar's development and like the second half of the movie comes from her scenes with her.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I think she deserves any money thrown her way, and was one of the best parts of the movie, but how do you not think you’re in something bigger than a documentary when they put 3 cameras, lights and a mic setup in your car and then tell you to drive a girl to a surgeons office? When I saw that I thought she was in on it, or at least had been clued in after her first appearance.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

frogbs posted:

I think she deserves any money thrown her way, and was one of the best parts of the movie, but how do you not think you’re in something bigger than a documentary when they put 3 cameras, lights and a mic setup in your car and then tell you to drive a girl to a surgeons office? When I saw that I thought she was in on it, or at least had been clued in after her first appearance.
documentaries often use lights and cameras

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m sure they told her it was a reality show, which could easily have a full crew, lighting, etc.

The movie’s funny, but Cohen exploits people to make his movies and profits from their labor. If they’re not chud mutants they should be compensated in scale with the profits created by the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Being paid 3500 dollars for what probably amounts to an afternoons work isn’t half bad.

Personally I don’t understand why the internet always decides to throw money at people when something they do/is done to them goes viral, but it’s like, certainly not a bad thing. The world is full of worthless assholes that have more money than god, many of them were just born into it. Some random nice lady getting a wad of cash just for the hell of it seems fine.