Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was her pastor since she lost her job after 36 years due to covid.

But yeah gently caress her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was definitely more than an afternoon she has scenes over several days.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

This somehow didn't live up to my expectations and exceeded them at the same time. I found the first half kind of boring and felt maybe I was too grown up to enjoy it. The second half was surprisingly touching and turned into a pretty sweet story. I didn't expect to be so moved by Borat letting Tutar out of her cage or telling Tutar that he loved more than his sons after fleeing the hotel. And then the post-climax reimagining of Kazakstan as feminist nation was incredible and funny and even prescriptive for a very sick America. Just fantastic.

I read somewhere (this thread probably) that the theme of the movie is that America in 2020 is an unsafe place for women. I think I'll watch it again with that in mind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Another Bill posted:

I read somewhere (this thread probably) that the theme of the movie is that America in 2020 is an unsafe place for women. I think I'll watch it again with that in mind.

When he announces the progress in Kazakhstan he says it's like feminist nations such as the United States and Saudi Arabia.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I think that lady was very nice but also incredibly ignorant and that’s why she was duped. You could argue that it’s not her fault and that it’s the result of poor education or decades of western propaganda against Eastern Europeans but she was very willing to believe that Kazakhs walk around with their women chained to a kettlebell lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Starks posted:

I think that lady was very nice but also incredibly ignorant and that’s why she was duped. You could argue that it’s not her fault and that it’s the result of poor education or decades of western propaganda against Eastern Europeans but she was very willing to believe that Kazakhs walk around with their women chained to a kettlebell lol

ehh...people tend to not doubt by default. maybe there was some preexisting bias, but I'd be more willing to believe she just took at face value and tried to be pragmatic about things.

that's how these movies work, by exploiting human psychology and our innate need to "go along". listen to longmont potion castle prank calls sometime, you'd never believe how many people believe that a driver from the USPS really is trying to get them to pay COD for some tasmanian syrup.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’d blame 20 years of reality tv priming people to believe that they’re basically just improvising dramatic fiction once they’re in front of the camera. The ethos of unscripted television is “just go with it.”—you can tell she doesn’t believe what she’s seeing but is rolling with it to keep the show going. She might have even been given an outline of how the scenes should go.

I’m sure she didn’t believe the reality of what was happening and that she isn’t a “professional babysitter” but that they put out an ad for locals to be on television or in an unscripted film and she either needed the money or wanted fame.

If you were running a daycare and a dude dumped a woman in chains at your door, you’d call CPS or the cops immediately, yeah? Even an ignorant person would know to do that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The movie’s funny, but Cohen exploits people to make his movies and profits from their labor. If they’re not chud mutants they should be compensated in scale with the profits created by the movie.

Lol

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

emgeejay posted:

documentaries often use lights and cameras

Fair, but I guess when I think ‘documentary’ I think more fly on the wall, like a person following you with a camera, not “can we setup these lights and cameras in your car in advance, and can you (probably) talk to Tutar about these specific things?’.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

ehh...people tend to not doubt by default. maybe there was some preexisting bias, but I'd be more willing to believe she just took at face value and tried to be pragmatic about things.

that's how these movies work, by exploiting human psychology and our innate need to "go along". listen to longmont potion castle prank calls sometime, you'd never believe how many people believe that a driver from the USPS really is trying to get them to pay COD for some tasmanian syrup.

I liked the one where he convinced some guy UPS was about deliver 100,000 centipedes to him and he was begging/demanding he not deliver them. SA really needs an LPC thread

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I liked the one where he convinced some guy UPS was about deliver 100,000 centipedes to him and he was begging/demanding he not deliver them. SA really needs an LPC thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899974

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well I’ll be damned

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

What’s so funny?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Knowing how much he like to contort and twist the narrative, I wouldn't be surprised if that whole scene is fabricated. The audio could easily be dubbed in, and that could be one of his own staff members shaking the door.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SBC donated 100k to Jeanise Jones's GoFundMe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Comments are a treasure trove as always.

quote:

Judy’s comment was spot on and while I know it can be difficult for the loony left to form a cohesive sentence…..how do you even find FOOD???

Where indeed.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bioshuffle posted:

Knowing how much he like to contort and twist the narrative, I wouldn't be surprised if that whole scene is fabricated. The audio could easily be dubbed in, and that could be one of his own staff members shaking the door.

That was my first thought. I didn't see anything in that clip that I couldn't set up myself.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The Human Crouton posted:

That was my first thought. I didn't see anything in that clip that I couldn't set up myself.

I think I read that the setup part was he just kept singing the same chorus until people freaked out (8+ mins apparently), and also he had a proxy make a big donation the day before the rally on condition that the proxy also be allowed to provide security, who ran interference for Sasha on stage until the crowd got really worked up.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They seemed to be genuinely chasing him off stage in the footage that was on social media back when it was recorded. And faking that bit seems a bit far fetched when their other cut clips include his co-star going into the White House without being checked by security.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm not disputing his means of stage exit, really. He was probably yelled off stage because he forced it happen. It's the inside the trailer part that could be easily faked. He could have shot that part a week after he got his footage of the crowd.

He had more than one camera crew around, and unless we see footage from the outside of his trailer getting attacked then it didn't happen.

I kind of like his movies in the way that they are good puzzles for analyzing how our own brains work. Like a magician fools our expectations and pattern recognition by keeping a ball in his left hand while pretending to put it in his right, SBC knows that showing a woman stepping over a railing and then cutting to footage of him running causes us to assume that she is going to attack him instead of going to get a beer.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Lol he’s also the producer, pretty creative way to get around payroll tax

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jesus Christ, goons

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

Yeah Nathan for You is another good example of how people will go to great lengths to avoid rocking the boat

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

Yeah Nathan for You is another good example of how people will go to great lengths to avoid rocking the boat

most definitely! the last episode I watched which definitely followed this pattern was the faked gas coupon adventure, where all these people hiked up a mountain to get $30 of free gas (despite there not being a real prize at all)

the ending of it is shockingly heartwarming so I won't spoil it, but I highly recommend the show if you dug Borat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like SBC a lot but Nathan Fielder is even funnier imo. Nathan for You is probably the single funniest show I have ever seen.

Fans of Fielder should check out the new show "How to With John Wilson" on HBO. NF isn't in it, but he produced it and if you like NFY it's probably right up your ally. It's a little more surreal and less gut bustingly funny, but still the same type of humor and very funny.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 30, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Is nice!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I like SBC a lot but Nathan Fielder is even funnier imo. Nathan for You is probably the single funniest show I have ever seen.

Fans of Fielder should check out the new show "How to With John Wilson" on HBO. NF isn't in it, but he produced it and if you like NFY it's probably right up your ally. It's a little more surreal and less gut bustingly funny, but still the same type of humor and very funny.

Fielder was in the special thanks for Borat 2, so he definitely influenced the movie in some capacity.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The guy who directed Borat 2 also did 3 or 4 eps of Nathan For You(not sure if thats been brought up or thats where this entire convo spurred from)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

veni veni veni posted:

good looking out! Nathan For You is a top 10 TV series of all time for me so ill definitely give it a try

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Nathan for You is incredible because it starts off really good and just gets better and better right to the last episode. I saw Tim and Eric do a Q&A live in January and Tim was talking about Nathan being an influence on him and giving him advice on getting projects produced/editing/etc, which totally blew my mind. I'd love to see all those guys, maybe with Eric Andre too, just running hog wild on unsuspecting americans.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You should check out All Gas No Brakes. It's got a similar vibe except the journalist guy (I don't know his name) just basically lets people speak and makes fools of themselves rather than coaxing it out of them like Borat/SBC characters. Tim Heidecker's production company recently picked All Gas No Brakes up for a show.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I got to see a NFY live show in Brooklyn where he showed us 2 eps from the upcoming season and did a q&a.

He also did an interview segment where he brought some audience members on stage and gave them the Nathan Fielder treatment of just guiding things down an incredibly strange and awkward route.

At one point he had a guy on stage who he got to tell a bizzare story about why he wears a wedding ring(its his dads and he started wearing it after his parents got divorced). The conversation took a bizzare turn into discussing polyamory and open relationships and some woman in the front row was not about it and started heckling and yelling her disproval of this guy. Nathan kept poking both of them and it made for probably one of the more painfully embarrassing things to witness IRL. It was basically 15 minutes of watching Natahan moderate a heated debate about monogamy. The guy just dig himself further every minute and the woman just came off crazier and crazier and Nathan looked like a kid in a candy store with how he would grill each of them on whatever weird poo poo they would say.

Nathans skill to just play it so unbelievably straight while simultaneously goading people into these bizzare headspaces and spilling themselves out is unparalleled.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Robot Style posted:

Fielder was in the special thanks for Borat 2, so he definitely influenced the movie in some capacity.

He directed a couple of episodes of SBC's Who is America.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The whole thing kinda sucked. The scripted parts really didn't work. 3 or 4 the bits were good. None were as shocking or original as the first movie. 2* out of 5. Worth a free watch if you have prime. Would have been very disappointed if I paid $$$ to see this in theatres. Rewatch the original, its still pants pissingly funny.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fitting name.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I saw Borat 2 first, and then watched Borat 1 for the first time a few days later.

Both were funny, but Borat 2 was funnier and a better movie all around IMO.

I saw Bruno in theaters and pretty much forgot the entire experience ever happened until Borat 2 came out.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

YoursTruly posted:

I saw Borat 2 first, and then watched Borat 1 for the first time a few days later.

Both were funny, but Borat 2 was funnier and a better movie all around IMO.

I saw Bruno in theaters and pretty much forgot the entire experience ever happened until Borat 2 came out.

Bruno was a disappointment but I did see it in a theater in the Hamptons of all places randomly on a road trip. The dick helicopter scene had a stream full of stepford wives fleeing the theater, which in retrospect was a weird demographic in the first place for a sbc movie.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jacobin has an article about the film.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bruno was hilarious, I don't get why people so widely refer to as disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zer0spunk posted:

Bruno was a disappointment but I did see it in a theater in the Hamptons of all places randomly on a road trip. The dick helicopter scene had a stream full of stepford wives fleeing the theater, which in retrospect was a weird demographic in the first place for a sbc movie.

That scene had me howling.