Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I think the way these things work, just going off of watching a bunch of similar comedy and what I have heard Nathan fielder talk about, is not so much that people are in on it, and more that they are more aware than they appear on film. After all, there is a film crew following them around. it's not like it's candid. I don't think people's reactions/interactions are fake, but who knows what the producers told them and it will be edited to be as funny as possible. Even if it shuffles things around and changes their context.

Nathan said they basically try to script the show as much as possible by predicting how people react, but the reactions aren't scripted.

I think SBC stuff is the same way unless it's obviously scripted stuff that isn't even trying to fool you. With stuff like the Qanon guys, or the babysitter I assume they are to some extent legit, but they were probably paid and coached to some degree.

I also think the Qanon guys were portrayed pretty sympathetically. They believed some terrible poo poo, but weren't really awful people. Just brainwashed.

The difference is that a handful of people know who Nathan fielder is but most people in America know who borat is. So I think it’s safe to assume that anyone interacting with Borat the character out of disguise was in on it to some extent. It’s still funny imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The bakery scene and the plastic surgeon explaining Jewish noses were both incredible scenes

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/BoratSagdiyev/status/1319663161071431691?s=20

lol this didn't even make it into the movie.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

LesboCupid posted:

I missed the post credits scene and can't find any info about it online. Can someone please fill me in on what happened?

Borat walks into his home. It’s dark but you can see a the silhouette of a man with a black leather jacket. On the table is a folder with CLASSIFIED and photos of Ali G and Bruno. Samuel L Jackson walks out of the shadows and says “Mr. Sagdiev, I’m here to talk to you about the Avengers initiative.” Cut to black.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

radlum posted:

It would be wild that someone would react so kindly to a dude in an antisemitic disguise, so they must have been on it, but even if they weren't, she is such a nice person towards a clear antisemitic parody, that I can't see her being the butt of a joke.

Also, I wish they had time to say that Borat gave COVID to Trump through Rudy.

According to her family who is suing Amazon, she was told it was an interview for a documentary.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

That part of the movie actually made the news when it happened but no one realized it was for a borat movie. IIRC it was the event organizers that caught on and tried to cut the sound but SBC had a ton of security lol.

Also:

https://twitter.com/yoursoundbae/status/1277120638742786051?s=21

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I think that lady was very nice but also incredibly ignorant and that’s why she was duped. You could argue that it’s not her fault and that it’s the result of poor education or decades of western propaganda against Eastern Europeans but she was very willing to believe that Kazakhs walk around with their women chained to a kettlebell lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Lol he’s also the producer, pretty creative way to get around payroll tax