Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The stuff with the fax machine guy is completely pointless because the guy has to be in on it, and his presence doesn’t add anything beyond plot, which is pointless in a movie like this.

Honestly, I got the vibe that one was just a really, really elaborate bit. The guy's :psyduck: reactions to everything seemed genuine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
this movie felt a lot sadder than the first Borat, to be honest.

like, the first one is, subtextually, sort of a warning that there's a weird-rear end (and frankly kind of goofy, on a small scale) darkness to our culture that we really, really need to work on. this one... is more or less SBC coming back to the character to go "welp, you assholes didn't listen, all of that poo poo consumed America entirely, you're all hosed."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh my god Borat gave Trump COVID

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's probably also worth noting that the first movie never stopped being loving hilarious either, it only "aged badly" in the sense that a lot of unfunny idiots started quoting it nonstop

much like monty python and the holy grail, however, unfunny idiots quoting the movie didn't actually make the movie less funny

the loving bear in the ice cream truck kills me every time, and the naked fight is some GOAT poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t think it’s aged any differently than Borat. He plays to a stereotype to get reactions. If Bruno is offensive so is Borat.

i think there's some nuance in this, honestly

like, Borat is effectively a cartoon character. it's hard to get offended by Borat because everything about the character is so fundamentally ridiculous that unless you're really stupid you pick up immediately that it's a joke.

Bruno feels a little meaner to me because the stereotype isn't really as comically OTT and hews a lot closer to the actual thing it's stereotyping