Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm dying to watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy poo poo I hope there’s an extended cut of the trump Disney movie

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol where did they find this girl? She is truly on SBC levels of not giving a gently caress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even if he wasn’t actually playing with his dick (something I’m not even sure of) he was 100% creeping on her.

Even if it was edited to hell and back and they baited him as much as possible. That was still a man who thought he was about to get laid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the way these things work, just going off of watching a bunch of similar comedy and what I have heard Nathan fielder talk about, is not so much that people are in on it, and more that they are more aware than they appear on film. After all, there is a film crew following them around. it's not like it's candid. I don't think people's reactions/interactions are fake, but who knows what the producers told them and it will be edited to be as funny as possible. Even if it shuffles things around and changes their context.

Nathan said they basically try to script the show as much as possible by predicting how people react, but the reactions aren't scripted.

I think SBC stuff is the same way unless it's obviously scripted stuff that isn't even trying to fool you. With stuff like the Qanon guys, or the babysitter I assume they are to some extent legit, but they were probably paid and coached to some degree.

I also think the Qanon guys were portrayed pretty sympathetically. They believed some terrible poo poo, but weren't really awful people. Just brainwashed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everyone is entitled to their terrible opinions I guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PT6A posted:

One of the most important scenes in the movie, and one I haven't heard discussed much, is when Borat showed the conspiracy nuts his "daughter owners' manual", and all of a sudden they were like "nah, that's a conspiracy theory, that's not real, you can't be doing that poo poo!"

It speaks to the brainwashing process that goes on, and the fact that these aren't all just dumb, uncaring assholes. They've been systematically broken and abused by our society but, I mean, they thought that their new buddy was going to be executed and they gave a poo poo and tried to help him, all while saying Obama should go to jail and the democrats are worse than Coronavirus. We can't accept those nuts as they are, and it's not easy to deprogram them, but that scene made me think it's not a lost cause.

Yeah, tbh I liked how it humanized them without making excuses for their beliefs. I think it's really easy to just look down on these people (let's be fair, they make it pretty drat easy) but ultimately they are just brainwashed by the insane loving society we live in. And those dudes didn't seem outwardly racist or evil or anything. Just duped by the media they surrounded themselves in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like both of them a lot, but the first film is definitely better imo. Basically every bit in Borat 1 is a home run. And there is just a lot more of them. Like someone said earlier, in Borat 1 the story serves the bits, in 2 it's vise versa. There were definitely a few duds, like the ridiculous trump costume was one my most anticipated sketches, but it just turned out he went to CPAC dressed as Trump and got kicked out immediately. And the Guiliani thing was good but I think it got a little too hyped up in advance and my expectations were too high. Outside of that though, I thought it was mostly great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fair enough. That scene wasn't without it's funny moments and Pence's stupid comments about COVID were a trip, but I was expecting more than just a mad dash around the auditorium before getting booted.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

She was playing a 15 year old at the time.

He didn't know that though. Not that it makes him less of a skeezeball.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Literal human trash lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If Amazon doesn't release some sort of behind the scenes/making of+deleted scenes compendium for piece for this I will be sad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Most likely they just realized they were getting trolled. The fact that their default mode was to act like rabid dogs is really something else though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Being paid 3500 dollars for what probably amounts to an afternoons work isn’t half bad.

Personally I don’t understand why the internet always decides to throw money at people when something they do/is done to them goes viral, but it’s like, certainly not a bad thing. The world is full of worthless assholes that have more money than god, many of them were just born into it. Some random nice lady getting a wad of cash just for the hell of it seems fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

ehh...people tend to not doubt by default. maybe there was some preexisting bias, but I'd be more willing to believe she just took at face value and tried to be pragmatic about things.

that's how these movies work, by exploiting human psychology and our innate need to "go along". listen to longmont potion castle prank calls sometime, you'd never believe how many people believe that a driver from the USPS really is trying to get them to pay COD for some tasmanian syrup.

I liked the one where he convinced some guy UPS was about deliver 100,000 centipedes to him and he was begging/demanding he not deliver them. SA really needs an LPC thread

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well I’ll be damned

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jesus Christ, goons

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like SBC a lot but Nathan Fielder is even funnier imo. Nathan for You is probably the single funniest show I have ever seen.

Fans of Fielder should check out the new show "How to With John Wilson" on HBO. NF isn't in it, but he produced it and if you like NFY it's probably right up your ally. It's a little more surreal and less gut bustingly funny, but still the same type of humor and very funny.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 30, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bruno was hilarious, I don't get why people so widely refer to as disappointing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t think it’s aged any differently than Borat. He plays to a stereotype to get reactions. If Bruno is offensive so is Borat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think people are really under the wrong impression of how his stuff is "staged".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Taear posted:

Bruno clearly has a lot of scripted stuff and I come to SBC for weird interviews with real people who don't know it's a joke.
Just the film, Bruno as a character before was fine.

I don't think it did. I think it's important to make a distinction between staged and scripted.

There is stuff in all of his movies that is obviously flat out scripted. Anything going on between Borat and Azmat etc. that doesn't involve the public is scripted for obvious reasons. I'm sure in the case of the kids running to the ice cream truck and the bear popping out was 100% scripted. But I think the vast majority of his stuff would be better described as a mix of staged and guerilla filmmaking.

Like, I don't think almost any of his marks are "in on it" or reading from a script or anything like that. But you can't really take what you are seeing at face value either because they are just going to edit the footage in a way that is the funniest and also misrepresent stuff to fit the story.

For example, in the case of the frat guys that sued him over Borat 1. It looks like he stumbles on to an RV of frat guys on vacation, but the producers rented the bus, asked the frat guys to be in a "kazakh" show, told them to act as fratty as possible and then got them drunk. That doesn't mean it was scripted though. Similarly the Qanon guys he stays with. In the movie he just asks some random guy if he can stay with him and they agree. In reality the producers rented the house and asked the guys to be in the movie. I don't think they are ever really up front with the marks about what is going on. there's all sorts of variables beyond that though. it's not like it's always going to be "real" reactions from people, because they are surrounded by cameras, they might realize they are part of prank and just roll with it, they might just be uncomfortable and not want to rock the boat...But that's not scripted.

I think the idea that he's just hired actors or something is off base but you shouldn't really take much, if any of what you see at face value.

Simone Magus posted:

Thanks for this HBO had decided to never even put that show on my app lol

It definitely scratches that NFY itch, it's fantastic

Nice. yeah I am really digging it too.

I made a thread for it but only one person responded haha

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3947308

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 11, 2020