Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
For treating a hornet nest like bald face hornets, is it more effective to dust the opening with something like Drione or blast them with wasp freeze? Goal is to get the nest down/removed as fast possible, I have a bee suit and both products, looking for ideas to be efficient about the task though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This same conversation just happened like 3 days ago. My answer would be Stryker 54 or similar. It's not only the right pesticides but it's in the optimal packaging for this job.

Anything in dust application makes no sense. I've only used that for ground wasps. With anything above ground soak the entrance and whatever else you can hit from 10 feet away with a can of stryker. Do it in the evening when they're not as active. It may take multiple applications, but it's going to work relative quickly.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Motronic posted:

This same conversation just happened like 3 days ago. My answer would be Stryker 54 or similar. It's not only the right pesticides but it's in the optimal packaging for this job.

Anything in dust application makes no sense. I've only used that for ground wasps. With anything above ground soak the entrance and whatever else you can hit from 10 feet away with a can of stryker. Do it in the evening when they're not as active. It may take multiple applications, but it's going to work relative quickly.

Meanwhile my local Home Depot has a yellow jacket nest by the entrance that a store manager treated once and a pro supposedly treated a few weeks later and that goddamn thing is still going strong.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009

Motronic posted:

Thanks, I ask because I decided to go back to working for a PC company and there doesnt seem to be much agreement on a best approach for hornet nests at our branch. Some swear by a few puffs of droine into the opening then smacking it down and bagging it up. Others just say blast it with wasp freeze or whatever is in your sprayer if it says wasps on the label.

I'm almost at a point where if it's reachable with loppers, skip the foreplay and just cut it down, bag it and letting the back of a hot truck do it's work. This could be a total moron move, but it seems like more than half the other techs I work with are idiots too. *Shrug*

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I mean....any of those other than dust seem to work pretty well. I'm not like some hornet expert, I'm just a former landscaper with a state pesticide license and a lot of ag school county extension continuing ed classes that has a burning hatred for invasive species.

Cutting it down and doing whatever sounds fun if you have some way to be drat sure you're not gonna get stung.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Motronic posted:

Talstar the poo poo out of those things while they're still there.

Finally got around to this and my walkway is carpeted with dead SLFs, good riddance.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

So I ended up taking care of my bald face hornet nest by constructing a wooden box, forcing it over the nest, and simultaneously dislodging the nest from the bottom of the eaves and sliding a tight fitting cover on the back of it. Then I liberally dusted the site of the former nest with delta dust to get any stragglers. It seemed to work quite well, and 12 hours later any hornets that I didn't encapsulate are still dropping from the sky. The only problem is that I now have a sealed wooden box full of hundreds of angry hornets.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Chest freezer for a couple days will actually work if you have one big enough, then you have a clean hornet nest to give to a ms frizzle type teacher

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

New to me in today, will have a trip report in a couple of months:

I've been rotating through liquids like "liquid deer fence", I've tried the capsaicin pellets that you water in/plant with annuals. They all seem to work to some extent for some amount of time until either this time of year (momma deers at maximum nursing pressure as this years babies are JUST starting to graze) or dead of tough winters where it's "eat literally anything to not starve".

New post reminded me: this didn't work with a drat with my new "pet doe" who I've since been feeding on the other side of the house back in the woods. Probably because she was staving to death nursing twins plus a foundling during the time of year where they are mostly nursing but barely grazing. We're past that now and she's no longer skin and bones. I'm just about done weaning her now so we don't have very bad ruminant digestive issues when the greenery is gone (they need to get used to woody graze as that happens. Corn and high protein "senior equine" mix is not compatible with this.)

devicenull posted:

I've got two packs of these so far - https://wirelessdeerfence.com/

It "works" in that it scares deer away when they touch them, we'll see how it does long term. The deer here are relentless. We cannot buy anything that isn't highly deer resistant, and even then we often have to cage it. We started moving on to buying poisonous plants!

Ordering now!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thought I conquered my pantry moth problem a year ago.

Have pantry moths again in the same cabinet :negative:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I had to put out traps and leave them out way longer than I thought to get the stragglers.

If you’re in the northern hemisphere winter will most likely slow them down a bit too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

We went to storing EVERYTHING in hard plastic containers to limit the blast radius. We've been reinfected once since then - it's the basmati rice from BJs.

the yeti posted:

I had to put out traps and leave them out way longer than I thought to get the stragglers.

If you’re in the northern hemisphere winter will most likely slow them down a bit too.

Yeah, this too. "Slowing them down" includes slowing down the reproductive cycle. Eggs that you can't find on the sides of shelves, etc can stick around for a maddeningly long time. I may even have some still, but when there's nothing for them to eat they hatch and die pretty quickly.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 5, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Motronic posted:

We went to storing EVERYTHING in hard plastic containers to limit the blast radius. We've been reinfected once since then - it's the basmati rice from BJs.

Yeah, this too. "Slowing them down" includes slowing down the reproductive cycle. Eggs that you can't find on the sides of shelves, etc can stick around for a maddeningly long time. I may even have some still, but when there's nothing for them to eat they hatch and die pretty quickly.

When I worked in a brewing supply joint we froze grain sacks for a week when we had bug issues, any idea if that will get pantry moth eggs?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the yeti posted:

When I worked in a brewing supply joint we froze grain sacks for a week when we had bug issues, any idea if that will get pantry moth eggs?

I'm talking specifically about Indian Meal Moths here:

7 days will kill adults and larvae, but you need at least a month to kill eggs. They are frustratingly robust and will simply go into suspended animation for up to a year most times unless they're good an frozen for a long time. This is why you get fooled into thinking you took care of the problem and then months later you have more.

Penn State Ag Extension posted:

Life Cycle
As long as the temperature within a grain bin or building where grain is stored remains above 50° F, the Indian meal moth can survive and reproduce. A typical life cycle (egg to adult) is completed in forth to fifty-five days. A potential for seven to nine generations per year exists; however, because of cool temperatures during the winter months fewer generations are usually completed. Under optimal conditions, the entire life cycle can be completed in approximately twenty-eight days.

A mature female lays 100 to 300 eggs on food material, either singularly or in groups of twelve to thirty. Larvae begin to hatch in two to fourteen days, depending on environmental conditions. Newly hatched larvae feed on fine materials within the grain and are small enough to pass through a sixty mesh screen. For this reason, it is difficult to exclude larvae from most packaged foods and grain.

However, larvae cannot chew through packages, so they must enter through a hole or at the seam. The larval stage lasts from two weeks to one year, and is responsible for grain losses. In grain, larval feeding is usually restricted to the top one to two inches. Large larvae feed on the grain germ. When mature, larvae spin a silken cocoon and transform into light-brown pupae. The cocoons and pupae can be seen on the grain surface and walls of grain bins. Adults emerge in four to thirty days, mate, and females lay the next generation of eggs. Adults live from five to twenty-five days.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

God drat that is durable.

Edit- the bit about silk reminds me of finding a poorly sealed jar of sesame seeds in the back of the pantry that looked like a spider had webbed it up, ugh.

Thinking back I’m pretty sure my infestation came from bird seed or bird peanuts.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 5, 2023

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

So I ended up taking care of my bald face hornet nest by constructing a wooden box, forcing it over the nest, and simultaneously dislodging the nest from the bottom of the eaves and sliding a tight fitting cover on the back of it. Then I liberally dusted the site of the former nest with delta dust to get any stragglers. It seemed to work quite well, and 12 hours later any hornets that I didn't encapsulate are still dropping from the sky. The only problem is that I now have a sealed wooden box full of hundreds of angry hornets.

Just make sure you label it properly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

devicenull posted:

I've got two packs of these so far - https://wirelessdeerfence.com/

It "works" in that it scares deer away when they touch them, we'll see how it does long term. The deer here are relentless. We cannot buy anything that isn't highly deer resistant, and even then we often have to cage it. We started moving on to buying poisonous plants!
Report back! When our septic problem is sorted, I'm planning to put a deer fence around the (tiny) back yard, because otherwise everything I love will get eaten.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have been paying a company to spray for mosquitos in my yard. It's worked great, way more pleasant to be outside during our like 9 months of mosquito season. It's not particularly expensive but it also seems like the kind of thing I could pretty easily do myself-they are usually here for 15-20 minutes every 21 days. What all would I need? Just a fogger and the relevant insecticides? I think whatever they use is some sort of pyrethroid, but I think they use a mix of a few things. Is it mostly just spraying up under shrubs or do I need to blast the grass too? What precautions would I need to take around my flowers to do the least harm to bees and butterflies?

e: would this little guy be sufficient? https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-Battery-Fogger-Mister-with-2-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-P2850/307244559 I already have a bunch of ryobi stuff at the house. My yard is ~100'x 150'

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 10, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Go grab your last invoice and see what they're actually applying. I use garlic extract and it works great. That's not something that works on all mosquito varieties, so what you're dealing with locally matters.

What you need to/should be applying will determine the appropriate equipment of course.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

Go grab your last invoice and see what they're actually applying. I use garlic extract and it works great. That's not something that works on all mosquito varieties, so what you're dealing with locally matters.

What you need to/should be applying will determine the appropriate equipment of course.

They don't list it on their invoice. I can call tmw and find out.

This is what another company in my area says:

quote:

Using a backpack sprayer designed for precise application, your technician targets shrubs and plants with a barrier spray that kills mosquitoes on contact and bonds to foliage, where it acts as a mosquito repellent for weeks to come. Within 30 minutes of spraying, your yard is ready for family and pets to come out and play
All of the barrier spray chemicals we use are synthetic forms of pyrethrins called pyrethroids. Pyrethrins are insecticides that are derived from a naturally occurring compound called pyrethrum found in the chrysanthemum flower. Pyrethroids are used in numerous commercial products that consumers use to control insects such as household pets insecticides, pet shampoos and sprays, and even lice shampoos applied directly to the scalp. The standard barrier spray treatment is effective on other pests such as fleas, ticks and some flies as well.

domyown recommends these: https://www.domyown.com/mosquito-control-kit-professional-p-14630.html

Does an IGR help with adult mosquitos or would it only be effective on larvae? I am pretty good about not having standing water on my property, so I don't know that I really need alot of treatment for larvae.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
On Mo's rec, I used garlic juice earlier in the season and found it effective against 80-90% of the mosquitos, and the remaining were clearly a different species (stripes guys). Lasted 4-6 weeks, bit sensitive to the weather (rain in particular, wind close to application day).

Was like $50 cad which got me two applications. Seemed cost effective and Ill likely try it again next year. Next step. is one of those propane or CO2 kits and they are not cheap haha.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That sounds.......not in accordance with at least my state's law on pesticide applications.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

domyown recommends these: https://www.domyown.com/mosquito-control-kit-professional-p-14630.html

Does an IGR help with adult mosquitos or would it only be effective on larvae? I am pretty good about not having standing water on my property, so I don't know that I really need alot of treatment for larvae.

I would skip the IGR - they're super expensive and aren't going to do much for you. They are a long term play on reducing the amount in your environment, but unless you're treating a significantly large area or you and all your neighbors are doing something like this I don't think it's really going to do anything noticeable.

In fact I'd skip all of that and just use talstar with a backpack sprayer and see if it does the job for you. It probably will.

ExciteR might be good to have around, but it's more of a fast knockdown thing that shouldn't be necessary if you're keeping up with the talstar treatments. It's not even very durable. Talstar is effective for weeks - exciter less than a day so maybe save your money and grab a one ounce bottle of it (https://www.domyown.com/exciter-insecticide-p-671.html) for "oh crap, people are coming over and I haven't treated in so long we're gonna get eaten alive" to mix in with your normal talstar treatment.

And since I've now ruined your excuse to buy the fogger, I'll just leave this here: https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P2860

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

When they would do that in Virginia we would just call someone up and ask them what they sprayed for X application because my wife was pregnant at the time. They'd give us the chemicals and from there I could go to the labels and devise my own plan.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Report back! When our septic problem is sorted, I'm planning to put a deer fence around the (tiny) back yard, because otherwise everything I love will get eaten.

Trip report: The deer are too smart of these. Sure, they scare the deer if they touch them, but they pretty quickly learned if they don't touch them they're fine. I did have success putting them immediately next to plants they liked to eat - the plants were untouched.

loving deer even managed to open the garden gate somehow and proceeded to eat everything in it.

Unless I can fence in the entire yard so it's not a thoroughfare for deer to go from one neighborhood to another, I don't think I'm going to have a ton of luck with anything.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

That sounds.......not in accordance with at least my state's law on pesticide applications.

I would skip the IGR - they're super expensive and aren't going to do much for you. They are a long term play on reducing the amount in your environment, but unless you're treating a significantly large area or you and all your neighbors are doing something like this I don't think it's really going to do anything noticeable.

In fact I'd skip all of that and just use talstar with a backpack sprayer and see if it does the job for you. It probably will.

ExciteR might be good to have around, but it's more of a fast knockdown thing that shouldn't be necessary if you're keeping up with the talstar treatments. It's not even very durable. Talstar is effective for weeks - exciter less than a day so maybe save your money and grab a one ounce bottle of it (https://www.domyown.com/exciter-insecticide-p-671.html) for "oh crap, people are coming over and I haven't treated in so long we're gonna get eaten alive" to mix in with your normal talstar treatment.

And since I've now ruined your excuse to buy the fogger, I'll just leave this here: https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P2860
Thanks! Wouldn't the fogger do a much better job of getting up under leaves and stuff? Or does talstar not play nice with one? What is the garlic spray you use? That at least seems worth a try since presumably it doesn't hurt the pollinators.

I'm on the gulf coast and I think we mostly have Aedes (tiger mosquito, yellow fever mosquito) and Culex (southern house mosquito) mosquitos if that's any help.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Does the garlic spray make your backyard smell like garlic and for how long? To be clear, I'm hoping the answer is yes and for awhile.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

devicenull posted:

Trip report: The deer are too smart of these. Sure, they scare the deer if they touch them, but they pretty quickly learned if they don't touch them they're fine. I did have success putting them immediately next to plants they liked to eat - the plants were untouched.

loving deer even managed to open the garden gate somehow and proceeded to eat everything in it.

Unless I can fence in the entire yard so it's not a thoroughfare for deer to go from one neighborhood to another, I don't think I'm going to have a ton of luck with anything.

Not electric fence, tall fence. Either 8 feet or 7.5. It takes a determined deer to jump that high (plus either up or down a slope).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks! Wouldn't the fogger do a much better job of getting up under leaves and stuff? Or does talstar not play nice with one? What is the garlic spray you use? That at least seems worth a try since presumably it doesn't hurt the pollinators.

I'm on the gulf coast and I think we mostly have Aedes (tiger mosquito, yellow fever mosquito) and Culex (southern house mosquito) mosquitos if that's any help.

Talstar P isn't labeled for fogging. Most things that you can fog are ULV formulations (ultra low volume, i.e. super concentrated). I do not like fogging application because it's very imprecise and super susceptible to drift especially with any wind at all. In my opinion a properly calibrated spray does a better job for insecticides, especially high residual products like Talstar. You get it where you need it to go, and if it's not absolutely EVERYWHERE it's still close enough an appropriate quantity in the correct general area, not 2 yards over in someone's baby pool.

Tiger Mosquito is exactly what the garlic sprays don't work on. Fortunately I don't have them so this is what I use: https://www.domyown.com/mosquito-barrier-p-3893.html

Slugworth posted:

Does the garlic spray make your backyard smell like garlic and for how long? To be clear, I'm hoping the answer is yes and for awhile.

Yes and unfortunately only until it dries. It still makes me hungry every time I apply it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not electric fence, tall fence. Either 8 feet or 7.5. It takes a determined deer to jump that high (plus either up or down a slope).

Highest fence the town will let me put in is 6ft :(

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

devicenull posted:

Highest fence the town will let me put in is 6ft :(

How do they feel about moats?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Slugworth posted:

I need a new sprayer bottle because the hose on the one I use with the garlic spray leaks when it’s put away under pressure. I end up losing whatever liquid is left in the sprayer all over the floor.

The upside is that the shed smells great.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have been paying a company to spray for mosquitos in my yard. It's worked great, way more pleasant to be outside during our like 9 months of mosquito season. It's not particularly expensive but it also seems like the kind of thing I could pretty easily do myself-they are usually here for 15-20 minutes every 21 days. What all would I need? Just a fogger and the relevant insecticides? I think whatever they use is some sort of pyrethroid, but I think they use a mix of a few things. Is it mostly just spraying up under shrubs or do I need to blast the grass too? What precautions would I need to take around my flowers to do the least harm to bees and butterflies?

e: would this little guy be sufficient? https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-Battery-Fogger-Mister-with-2-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-P2850/307244559 I already have a bunch of ryobi stuff at the house. My yard is ~100'x 150'

I used some talstar and a pump mister on a Friday morning pretty much everywhere on my property in Memphis and by Saturday I had zero mosquitos lol

not a single bite and the previous weekend I probably had like 20+ from doing yard work without bug spray. didn’t have to put any on the weekend I used the talstar. it rules

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

Talstar P isn't labeled for fogging. Most things that you can fog are ULV formulations (ultra low volume, i.e. super concentrated). I do not like fogging application because it's very imprecise and super susceptible to drift especially with any wind at all. In my opinion a properly calibrated spray does a better job for insecticides, especially high residual products like Talstar. You get it where you need it to go, and if it's not absolutely EVERYWHERE it's still close enough an appropriate quantity in the correct general area, not 2 yards over in someone's baby pool.
I think I'm a bit confused on 'fogger' vs 'mister.' Something like this is what I see the mosquito people spraying with: https://www.domyown.com/tomahawk-power-mist-blower-tmd14-with-turbo-boost-p-21112.html and I just confirmed they are spraying Talstar and permethrin with it. Are they not supposed to be doing that, or is Talstar okay in a mister? How is that mister functionally different than this ryobi fogger/mister:https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P2805A?

I have alot of low shrubs and spraying up under the leaves with a normal wand sprayer seems like a tremendous pain in the rear end unless I am missing something.

In addition, would talstar make a good barrier spray around the exterior perimeter of my house for roaches etc or would something else be better?

right arm posted:

I used some talstar and a pump mister on a Friday morning pretty much everywhere on my property in Memphis and by Saturday I had zero mosquitos lol

not a single bite and the previous weekend I probably had like 20+ from doing yard work without bug spray. didn’t have to put any on the weekend I used the talstar. it rules
Like one of these things? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Large-Pr...dener/427839851 How large is your yard?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Like one of these things? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Large-Pr...dener/427839851 How large is your yard?

this is what I used. you can adjust the spray / mist easy. and yeah talstar works on just about everything including roaches. I sprayed my yard, under the bushes, and then around the house as well and yeah, no more mosquitos. took like 0.75 gal (diluted obv) to my lot. 8000sqft, 1400sqft house. I do have a pretty big wrap around deck though (with an outdoor shower :D) so maybe look at a little larger capacity if your place is bigger

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
When mosquitoes get really bad I'll pull out my "mosquito sniper system"(stupid brand name) that attaches to my leaf blower and it really helps me get the talstar up into the tall bushes and tree branches where the mosquitoes hide out. It mists more than fogs and with the leaf blower powering it it's very directional.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol that’s loving cool I’m sold

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

right arm posted:

Lol that’s loving cool I’m sold

:same:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think I'm a bit confused on 'fogger' vs 'mister.' Something like this is what I see the mosquito people spraying with: https://www.domyown.com/tomahawk-power-mist-blower-tmd14-with-turbo-boost-p-21112.html and I just confirmed they are spraying Talstar and permethrin with it. Are they not supposed to be doing that, or is Talstar okay in a mister? How is that mister functionally different than this ryobi fogger/mister:https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P2805A?

A mister is not a fogger at all. So that's the confusion. Foggers heat the product and it comes out literally as a fog. So just about any liquid pesticide mix should be fine in a mister.

I don't have any experience using a "power mister" like that because my sprayers work just fine. I've not seen anyone around here using them either. Might be a regional thing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

A mister is not a fogger at all. So that's the confusion. Foggers heat the product and it comes out literally as a fog.

Now I want to buy a bunch of second hand fog machines and make a constant lingering fog of death around my home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

A mister is not a fogger at all. So that's the confusion. Foggers heat the product and it comes out literally as a fog. So just about any liquid pesticide mix should be fine in a mister.

I don't have any experience using a "power mister" like that because my sprayers work just fine. I've not seen anyone around here using them either. Might be a regional thing.
Okay yeah looking at the parts list on that Ryobi thing it seems like its actually a mister. There's no heater or anything. Doesn't have stellar reviews tho so seems like the ryobi sprayer + MOSQUITO SNIPER SYSTEM + blower seems the easiest and most flexible.

E: presumably talstar is pet-safe when dry? I have a dog.