Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

E: presumably talstar is pet-safe when dry? I have a dog.

Yes, it is. It's not even all that harmful to dogs when wet - no more than to humans. But absolutely don't let cats anywhere near it when wet. Their liver or kidneys (I forget exactly) can't break down one of the compounds in talstar so it stays in their bodies. Not good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

E: presumably talstar is pet-safe when dry? I have a dog.

yep. we do too. no issues and label states as much

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Last night I thought I saw something the approximate size, shape, and color of a mouse dart across my kitchen and go under my stove. I couldn't get a visual on it once it went under the stove, and this morning I have so far not found any evidence of a little mouse party that happened overnight. Is there anything I can do to test whether or not there's actually a mouse now living in my kitchen/house?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If it was me I'd put some glue traps under the stove to see if you catch anything over night. Make sure pets and kids can't reach them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SpartanIvy posted:

If it was me I'd put some glue traps under the stove to see if you catch anything over night. Make sure pets and kids can't reach them.

I did put down a couple of glue traps last night, but it's a pretty wide space under the stove so a mouse could have just gone around them if it really wanted to.

Any other signs I could look for? Footprints, poop, holes being eaten into things?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

C-Euro posted:

I did put down a couple of glue traps last night, but it's a pretty wide space under the stove so a mouse could have just gone around them if it really wanted to.

Any other signs I could look for? Footprints, poop, holes being eaten into things?

Mostly poop and chew marks would be what to look for.

Rodents like following the edges of walls and typically don't walk out in the open so push the traps up against the wall and it should get them, assuming they're there.

I am personally invested in your story because a decade ago I was renting an apartment with friends and I thought I saw a mouse and they said I was crazy until later one of them screamed and it ran out of their room. We put out a baited trap but never caught it or saw it again. It must have left the way it came in.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

C-Euro posted:

Last night I thought I saw something the approximate size, shape, and color of a mouse dart across my kitchen and go under my stove. I couldn't get a visual on it once it went under the stove, and this morning I have so far not found any evidence of a little mouse party that happened overnight. Is there anything I can do to test whether or not there's actually a mouse now living in my kitchen/house?

I had a mouse problem last year, I ended up loading spring traps on my counter and got about 6 of them.
Look for poop in under-stove drawers, and also if there's a gas line with a gap around it (or a gap for an electrical line), that may be how they are getting in. Also pull the stove out and check for holes under the cabinets, they may be living there as well.

I ended up stuffing the gas line hole with steel wool and then spray foaming that into place, and left the baited traps for a week without any of them tripping after that.
They love peanut butter for what it's worth.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Anyone know much about yellow jacket behavior? I treated a ground nest about 3 or 4 weeks ago with drione dust for someone. I came back today to take care of a different issue and decided to check in on that nest, they said it had died and they hadn't seen any yellow jackets since I'd been there. I take a look and see a few flying in and out of the hole, but when I got closer, about an inch away was a pile of large orange yellow jackets, which I'm assuming are queens and a few dozen of regular ones crawling around them.

They were pretty slow and lethargic and I blasted them and the hole with some Stryker, but what was going on with them? Were they getting rid of failed queens or something after the drione treatment?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SpartanIvy posted:

I am personally invested in your story because a decade ago I was renting an apartment with friends and I thought I saw a mouse and they said I was crazy until later one of them screamed and it ran out of their room. We put out a baited trap but never caught it or saw it again. It must have left the way it came in.

Good news then, I just saw the bastard cutting back across my kitchen from under the stove to the island...where it vanished again :sad: How well can these guys climb and/or squish themselves into tight spaces, because I don't really know where it could have gone short of doubling back under the stove when I wasn't looking.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
A dime sized hole is big enough for mice.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Anything a mouse/rat can fit it's head through, the rest can follow. I've used a pencil to figure if its mouse big enough. But also keep in mind they will chew holes that are too small into holes that they can fit through.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

A dime sized hole is big enough for mice.

I think even as small as the diameter of a pencil is big enough

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Eat the peanut butter you little fucker :argh: Exterminator coming in later this week.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Bait a tin cat.

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-M310S-Trap-Catches-Geometric-Pattern/dp/B00004RAMU/

You can release elsewhere or leave the first mouse as bait for others, your call.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

right arm posted:

I used some talstar and a pump mister on a Friday morning pretty much everywhere on my property in Memphis and by Saturday I had zero mosquitos lol

not a single bite and the previous weekend I probably had like 20+ from doing yard work without bug spray. didn’t have to put any on the weekend I used the talstar. it rules

Sorry to re-animate the mosquito conversation but my wife finally brought our 1 year old outside and got promptly eaten alive by mosquitos. It seems by reading the last page that Talstar P and the Garlic Mosquito Barrier are the way to go, using at cheapest a pump mister.

I live in inland Southern California and looked up my local mosquitos seems to be primarily Aedes Aegyptus. Given that it is/has been in the 90s, I'm fully expecting our mosquito season to last until sometime in late December.

A little confused, is it recommended to do the garlic barrier first, and/or do the Talstar P misting first? Or pick one vs. the other. I've also got two dogs and no cats, and small kids so aside from basic contact precautions and keeping them away from the outside for a day and/or until the stuff dries, are there any other recommendations?

Thanks!

adnam fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 10, 2023

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

adnam posted:

Sorry to re-animate the mosquito conversation but my wife finally brought our 1 year old outside and got promptly eaten alive by mosquitos. It seems by reading the last page that Talstar P and the Garlic Mosquito Barrier are the way to go, using at cheapest a pump mister.

I live in inland Southern California and looked up my local mosquitos seems to be primarily Aedes Aegyptus. Given that it is/has been in the 90s, I'm fully expecting our mosquito season to last until sometime in late December.

A little confused, is it recommended to do the garlic barrier first, and/or do the Talstar P misting first? Or pick one vs. the other. I've also got two dogs and no cats, and small kids so aside from basic contact precautions and keeping them away from the outside for a day and/or until the stuff dries, are there any other recommendations?

Thanks!

I’ve never used garlic or anything besides the talstar and I’ve not been bitten once at my house since I first started applications and I probably had 20+ bites the first time I was outside for an extended lol

made the decision to get a sprayer easy lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
We've been getting a bunch of millipedes in one particular room:

We just moved into the house, it's in Seattle. Any way to get them/keep them out?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Is there a good roundup (no pun intended) of roach advice? Maybe some success stories and :unsmith: wins.

NYC, moving in and seeing a lot of roaches, tried Boric Acid, Diatomaceous earth, currently sealing up some things like outlet covers that were left open. Have a dog.

Otis Reddit fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 25, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Otis Reddit posted:

Is there a good roundup (no pun intended) of roach advice? Maybe some success stories and :unsmith: wins.

NYC, moving in and seeing a lot of roaches, tried Boric Acid, Diatomaceous earth, currently sealing up some things like outlet covers that were left open. Have a dog.

NYC indoor roaches are a food/cleanliness issue. If you are in an apartment and that cleanliness issue is from another apartment there is little you can do to solve the problem in your own space. This is a situation where I would suggest contacting your building super/whatever and leaning on them weekly/monthly to have the building pest control contractor out to solve your problem. They should eventually figure out who that actual issue is and perhaps solve it there.

As far as things you can do, leave no unsealed food out in the kitchen, police the dog food and how long its out. Consider plastic containers to keep things in that come in bags (flour, rice, etc).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a roach problem. I've gotten myself some glue traps, Ant-B-Gon ant and roach killer gel and Terro Ant Killer dust.

What I've done is get some bottle caps and filled them with the gel and some bread crumbs while lining the floorboards of my kitchen with the ant killer dust. I also planted a larger bait trap using the tin foil cover off a peanut butter jar and layered more gel poison on top of it.

I haven't really been seeing results so I'm wondering if I need to change my bait options. They just don't seem to be going for the gel at all and each night I'm still catching them scurrying around my sink.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Where are the roaches coming from and what are they being attracted to in your living space? These two things are where you start with this kind of pest control.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Motronic posted:

Where are the roaches coming from and what are they being attracted to in your living space? These two things are where you start with this kind of pest control.

I checked my sink and there's no leaky pipes but I did discover that the wall behind the counter cupboards has a crack in it, so caulking is in the list for my next shopping trip. They tend to like my toaster and my sink so it's likely bread crumbs and residuals off of my washed plates drawing them in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I checked my sink and there's no leaky pipes but I did discover that the wall behind the counter cupboards has a crack in it, so caulking is in the list for my next shopping trip. They tend to like my toaster and my sink so it's likely bread crumbs and residuals off of my washed plates drawing them in.

No amount of pesticide will stop water + food when you've already got an active infestation. It's time to detail strip your kitchen, clean everything, put everything in hard containers/the fridge and be very, very proactive about cleaning/no dishes in the sink while you repair that wall (hopefully there is no moisture in it). You need to clean the hell out of EVERY place you've seen them because they are leaving pheromone trails behind that others will follow. Then you can bait as you have been in places you see them. Then clean anyplace you find them that hasn't been baited and bait again. Once they are cut off from food an water this should start working. Right now it is likely they prefer your food scraps you've left out to the bait. They need to be hungrier/thirstier.

Unless you're in an apartment and one of your neighbors is the actual cause. Then you're screwed, as mentioned in the post above yours.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 25, 2023

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Are these springtails? They are emanating from a damp corner of the basement, which is patched up while I figure out how to repair some chronic water damage that Gary ignored for years. This is the best picture I can get of these black and minuscule insects

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Not an expert but looking at some google images point to maybe spider beetle on bugguide.net:
https://bugguide.net/node/view/88819/bgimage

There's a lot of beetles that look similar, though. Might be worth posting for an ID somewhere specific like there or reddit. You'll need to specify your geographic area to try and narrow it down there, too.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Springtails are usually super small and they jump. Moisture is really the big thing that they need. I've found if you can get a really good picture of something you can Google search that image and get pretty close to identifying it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just going into the kitchen to get a drink, only to be surprised at the sight of 10 very large rats coming out from under the backyard deck (like almost foot-long bodies). Did a double-take and then just burst out laughing because of how completely unexpected the sight was.

This is the sort of thing that probably requires professional involvement, right? I feel like there are probably too many to reasonably take care of using traps or whatever. I guess sealing the underside of the deck might be necessary, though that's a shame since, in the past, it's housed animals like chipmunks and lizards which I like :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Where you live matters a lot. But they were under there for a reason - either because your whole area is infested and they were just checking things out (best case) or because something attracted them there. That could be under the deck, or it could be a way to access your basement/crawlspace/house and that's what attracted them. Step 1 is figuring that out.

Nobody would blame you for calling a pest control company to crawl under your rat infested deck to patch holes/remove things attracting them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Motronic posted:

Where you live matters a lot. But they were under there for a reason - either because your whole area is infested and they were just checking things out (best case) or because something attracted them there. That could be under the deck, or it could be a way to access your basement/crawlspace/house and that's what attracted them. Step 1 is figuring that out.

Nobody would blame you for calling a pest control company to crawl under your rat infested deck to patch holes/remove things attracting them.

I live in a suburban area with a good amount of trees/etc. There's a walking/biking track that runs behind our yard. Like there's the yard, fence, like 15 feet of trees, the path, and then 20-30 more feet of trees before a field.

The house has no basement and they've (fortunately) never been sighted inside (doesn't mean they haven't found their way in though, just that I haven't seen them or any signs that they've been here). One thing worth mentioning is that we have two large dogs. The rats are obviously aware of them - they bolted back under the deck the instant the dogs started coming into the kitchen.

Is "the deck is good/convenient shelter" not enough reason on its own for them to set up shop there? We can remove one food source (only thing I can think of in our backyard is the bird feed, and it seems to be what they were eating when I saw them earlier), but I'm concerned that if they're getting food from anywhere else in neighboring yards (or elsewhere) it won't make a difference (and I also just really doubt that the bird feed is enough to be feeding all these huge rats, so they've gotta be getting food from somewhere else).

I guess the obvious answer is something like "sealing the deck so they can't get in," but not sure how to go about doing that. The last thing I want is to trap some rats in there and then have dead rats stuck under the deck.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Bird seed is a super common way to attract all kinds of rodents. Put that stuff in a hard, sealed container to start and then search for anything else they could be interested in. Check around your foundation and wall penetrations for any gaps and seal them up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KonMari DeathMetal posted:

Bird seed is a super common way to attract all kinds of rodents. Put that stuff in a hard, sealed container to start and then search for anything else they could be interested in. Check around your foundation and wall penetrations for any gaps and seal them up.

Thanks! I'll definitely do the bird seed thing immediately since it's a simple fix. Currently it easily falls onto the ground.

I'll also check around the house, though I think it's in pretty good shape (we haven't seen anything, at least).

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Thanks! I'll definitely do the bird seed thing immediately since it's a simple fix. Currently it easily falls onto the ground.

I'll also check around the house, though I think it's in pretty good shape (we haven't seen anything, at least).

One note in that a 5 gallon plastic bucket + lid is probably not sufficient to keep them out. The loving squirrels managed to chew a bunch of the rim off during the one night I left it outside, I imagine the rats would be worse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devicenull posted:

One note in that a 5 gallon plastic bucket + lid is probably not sufficient to keep them out. The loving squirrels managed to chew a bunch of the rim off during the one night I left it outside, I imagine the rats would be worse.

Yes, this year the squirrels decided to eat through enough of the gas cap on my snow blower to let rainwater in. Why were they even chewing on the gas cap?

I keep my bird feed in a metal bin. As well as my grass seed. Anything else, even/especially in you garage is just too tempting and they will find it and chew on it.

You're looking for something like this in whatever size you need: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/behrens-20-gallon-galvanized-steel-utility-trash-can

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

So it’s that time of year again I guess, which was kinda early this year (climate change) and the weather is warm and mosquitos are back. Let’s say I forgot to dispose of some Talstar in my sprayer from last year. I read the MSDS and it says avoid entering drains/waterways, but is it least horrible to dilute and dispose via toilet?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I’d just dilute it and spray it. can’t hurt

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

adnam posted:

So it’s that time of year again I guess, which was kinda early this year (climate change) and the weather is warm and mosquitos are back. Let’s say I forgot to dispose of some Talstar in my sprayer from last year. I read the MSDS and it says avoid entering drains/waterways, but is it least horrible to dilute and dispose via toilet?

Unless you have a hazardous material drop off the safest way is to apply it. The disposal methods are on the label, and the label is the law.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Unless you have a hazardous material drop off the safest way is to apply it. The disposal methods are on the label, and the label is the law.

Good reminder to observe the law. I'll go ahead and spray it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Any ideas what these are? Animal turds or bug eggs? They're around a half a centimeter long, there were a lot of them, and they were under some rubbermaid boxes/lids. They were all confined to like a 4'x4' area. Haven't found them anywhere else. Couldn't find any nests or nesting material anywhere either.

When you bust them open they have a milky white ooz in them.

e: Looks like they are fly pupae which makes perfect sense. We found the husk of a bird a few feet from there a couple of weeks ago. So these must be where the maggots went.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 13, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, that's the stage after maggots. Ick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

welp, apparently I got possums.

I was just greeted by a huge fucker in my garage when I got home from the gym about half an hour ago. I've seen a few possums around my neighborhood over the past few months, but this is my first time spotting one inside my garage. It seemed to know the layout of the place too because it just casually walked behind a pile of junk when I tried to shoo it away, which tells me it's probably been there before.

How do I get rid of a possum?