Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I have an enormous bald faced hornet (?) nest under the second story eaves on my house. At this point, it's between the size of a basketball and a beach ball . I know I shouldn't have let it get to this point but I did and now I have a problem.

I rigged up a small bellows duster on the end of a pole and dusted the nest with Delta Dust for 5-10 minutes at about dawn on Saturday and Sunday morning. I was concentrating on getting enough dust on the entrance that it would be unavoidable for any insect coming/going. It's hard to tell how much I actually got on the nest, but I think I the entire entrance was white when I was done. The plan is to kill as much of the hive with the dust as I can and then climb up and cut the nest off the house (yes I have a bee suit I can use).

Today there are a few of them dead on the ground under the nest and caked in dust, but not much of a decrease in overall activity of the nest. Do I need to just go ham and cake the thing in dust? Try to dust the inside of the nest through the entrance?

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

So I ended up taking care of my bald face hornet nest by constructing a wooden box, forcing it over the nest, and simultaneously dislodging the nest from the bottom of the eaves and sliding a tight fitting cover on the back of it. Then I liberally dusted the site of the former nest with delta dust to get any stragglers. It seemed to work quite well, and 12 hours later any hornets that I didn't encapsulate are still dropping from the sky. The only problem is that I now have a sealed wooden box full of hundreds of angry hornets.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Are these springtails? They are emanating from a damp corner of the basement, which is patched up while I figure out how to repair some chronic water damage that Gary ignored for years. This is the best picture I can get of these black and minuscule insects