Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Doesn't look anything like a termite to me. I see those around my backdoor sometimes and I think they just fly in from outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
A bought a "Mosquito Sniper System" that attaches to my EGO leaf blower and use that with Talstar P to hose down my bushes and trees and it obliterated the mosquitoes in my backyard (North Texas).

Afterwards one of the trash trees along the fence line died suddenly and I'm not sure if that was related or not, so maybe be careful and test it on a few branches first if you go that route.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
They're probably getting in through cracks in your doors or windows so I'd say start there and replace any worn out weatherstripping. Specifically check the bottom of your door. Turn off your lights during the middle of the day, put your head to the ground, and see if you see light coming in under the door. You probably can and that's how they're getting in.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

I mean, this is what you should be doing in general in my opinion. Just as preventative. Something like a Talstar. It's a really, really standard pest control contract thing.

I use so many different pesticides that I joke with my girlfriend that they're going to have to turn my house into a Superfund site after I move out, but you can't argue with the results. I still have plenty of bugs outside but nothing really gets inside.

And yes I follow the labels, I'm not being a jackass with them. I also have been sealing up every crack, hole, and gap as I find them for 3 years now and it pays off.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

Right, this is the current trend in pest management, called IPM/Integrated Pest Management. It's considered best practice if you actually want results. Depending on the target species it may also include things like managing landscape/mulch around the house, insuring there are no low spots/standing water, etc.

Definitely all important things to do. Controlling moisture in general is huge for pest control. Every bug wants a moist environment so getting rid of sources of moisture near and within your home is very important. It's a constant battle and I think most people expect a one-and-done solution for pests which just isn't realistic if you live in a home that's either old or near any sort of nature.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I use Taurus SC on my home and trees and it hosed up my carpenter ant infestation very well.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Blue Moonlight posted:

A follow-up to this:

It’s a link to a video because apparently I am too bad at the internet to embed videos anymore.

They just don’t seem to be stopping. I keep hoping I’m on the tail end of it as they thin out, but then I replace the trap and a fuckton of them show up again.

To me, pragmatically, they’re out of the way where they are now (versus earlier in our escapade where they were showing up all over the place, including bedrooms and the kitchen, which made eating and sleeping…frustrating), but they are an affront to my wife’s very existence.

We had a guy out as well, and other than this one spot, all is well. Should we be asking him to come back out and deal with this spot in particular? Or are they “corralled” enough that continuing the Terro baits is the way to go?

Thanks!
With that many ants you have to wonder how big the colony is. If you keep giving them the poison it should eventually get fed to the queen and kill the whole colony though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I would put out as much bait as you reasonably can. The more poison they consume at a faster rate, the more they will rely on it as a colony food source and the more damage it will do.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

the yeti posted:

Any of y’all know anything about ‘less toxic’ rodenticides? Seems like most of them either involve salt or indigestible plant matter?

RatX gets pretty stellar reviews for being effective and not poisonous to other animals. I found an old opened bag of the stuff from my PO up in my garage loft when I was rebuilding it and later found a rat skeleton mummified in it's nest in the wall, so I'd say it at least works against rodents like it claims.

I'd still try other non-poisonous methods first just in case.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Mirthless posted:

Hey goons, I have a particular problem: I have recently inherited a house from a family member that has a significant infestation of brown recluse spiders. This is a situation where the micro-biome in the house was, I guess, absolutely perfect for this species, because they have completely taken over and are the only species of spider that can be found in the house, outside of the occasional jumper or wolf that makes it through the front or back door.

I am planning to move into this house in a month. I have absolutely obliterated every spider I have seen, taken the mop to their nests, and disrupted all the areas they were hiding. There are a few spaces I haven't addressed yet because A: my natural response to a spider, any spider, is to loving piss myself and cry and B: Those remaining places are the attic and crawlspace, gently caress, gently caress, gently caress, no

That said: I feel like I have been successful in killing most, if not all of the adult and visible spiderling population in the living areas of the house, and any nests I could find ended up in the bottom of the mop bucket. Am I correct in assuming that just wiping out a couple complete generations of spiders and disrupting the breeding cycle should be enough to start leveling things out again? Also, uh, can i just like, toss a bug bomb into the crawlspace/attic? That job is extremely :nms:
I don't know a ton about spiders but bug bombing is probably a good idea. Also cut them off from some of their food supply by putting down insecticides in your yard and around the perimeter of the house.

Fyi bug bomb spray is usually combustible so make sure to turn off sources of ignition like furnaces, water heaters, etc. before setting them off.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alarbus posted:

Moronic, what's the southeast pa gnat control solution? These little assholes keep landing in my Scotch.

Half joking, but if there's a solution that's not going to kill kids or pets I'm all ears.

Okay this is a super white-trash solution, but we setup a crappy little bug zapper in our kitchen and it's worked wonders at keeping the gnats knocked back. A few times a day we here a little *zap* and we haven't had an issue with gnats in weeks.

Obviously this only works for indoors. If you're enjoying your scotch in the heat then I have no suggestions beyond the usual Talstar P.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 17, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Slugworth posted:

I've been using Ortho Home Defense to spray the perimeter of my house, largely to keep American roaches out (coastal NC), which appears to be bifenthrin. It seems to do a pretty good job, but we still get the occasional one creeping in. I'm looking to switch to a concentrate - Stick with the bifenthrin, or switch to something else? Any considerations for a sprayer? I was just gonna grab the Ryobi 18v one.

I've got the combat roach bait stations all over the house, swapping them out every few months. No sign of an actual infestation. (Unless I'm wildly mistaken - We're relatively new to the south, and my understanding is with the American roaches, occasionally spotting them isn't quite the same as spotting germans).

You're always going to have the occasional roach that creeps in. They live outside and find their way in every once in a while. Usually when it's wet or hot outside and your house is dry and cool. The purpose of the poison is so that they die after they go through it, and into your house. That way they can't lay their little egg sacks and you stop any infestation from happening.

German roaches are a more serious concern. They're not supposed to live in nature here but I've found them outside before. They are definitely less common than American roaches though and are more likely to start an infestation in your home. Luckily the perimeter poison should also affect and kill them even if they get in.

I go with a 3 layer approach to pest defense. There's outer-perimeter and yard, where I put down granules and Talstar P concentrate. There's the outer house perimeter where I put down Taurus SC specifically for carpenter ants and termites, but also affects roaches. Then finally there's inside the house where I will put down bait tablets, Delta Dust, and other chemicals as I feel they are needed.

It's also important to seal your house where you can. Especially if it's an older home. I've got a few cans of expanding foam and as I do house projects I try to seal up penetrations around pipes, wiring, wood seams, and anywhere else as I come across gaps and holes. The more you can limit the movement of the pests, the more likely they are to find and succumb to your poison before they find a way inside the livable envelope of your home.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The little hope I had that left that my neighbors house isn't a roach hive has been completely dispelled.

She had her plumbing replaced last week which required some overgrowth to be trimmed back near her house and I've found handfuls of dead and dying roaches around my house perimeter since then. I'm glad I sprayed not too long ago.

If/when she sells or moves out I'm going to have hose down my property in poison to protect against the ravenous hordes of vermin that are sure to erupt.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

NotNut posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for dealing with bed bugs?

NotNut posted:

I have about a hundred bucks, and I think they're in my upstairs mattress and my downstairs mattress.

They are actually everywhere.

A roommate and I got bedbugs in college because they came through the walls in my apartment from my neighbor(s). I threw away most of what I owned, and stuck the remainder of my things except, freshly laundered clothes, in a storage unit out in the Texas sun for a year to starve/bake them the death. The neighbors that had them didn't care because that was a way of life for them so there was no hope we could ever stop them. In our desperation, we tried removing outlets and filling wall cavities and lining the perimeter of all the walls with diatomaceous earth. We wrapped plastic around our box springs and taped them shut. We put our beds on metal risers to try and stop them from climbing. We even put diatomaceous earth under the couch cushions. Literally nothing slowed them down.

If I got them again today I would invest in every chemical under the "Bed Bugs" section of DoMyOwn.com and apply them all religiously in every possible spot of my house. I'd also pay to have my house heated up for 12 hours to try and bake them to death. I still wouldn't sleep at night for months.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 2, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

NotNut posted:

Actually maybe they were just chigger bites. They were primarily around y ankles and crotch and happened after I was outside, and they didn't come in clusters like bed bug bites supposedly do, and I haven't found blood on my sheets. God I hope to loving christ

Take the sheets off your bed and inspect the corners of the fitted sheet and covers. Check all the seams of the mattress and the box spring. Check the bed frame as well. Find nothing? You at least don't have a major infestation, but you might still have them! They can hide in gaps as thin as a business card and can spread out to hide after feeding. They could be under the floor, in outlets on the wall, nearby furniture. Anywhere!

I sincerely hope it's only chiggers or fleas or anything besides bed bugs. Bed bug bites typically have a 3 dot pattern to them. Googling will give you lots of info to try and identify them and their bites.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The good news is those pictures are really good!

The bad news is that's a carpenter ant

The somewhere in between news is that it doesn't mean you have an infestation necessarily. Carpenter ants scavenge over large distances and they could have just found their way into your house. With 2 though I'd be a little worried. For peace of mind, I recommend buying Taurus SC and applying it around your house perimeter and everywhere else you can.

My house had a big carpenter ant infestation and Taurus SC loving wiped it out (and wasps and roaches, and other bugs)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

fyallm posted:

Every exterminator ive called so far says spraying outside and inside using termadoor (sp?) Will fix the problem....

Termidor SC

It's the name brand of the previously mentioned Taurus SC

https://www.domyown.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html

E: I haven't read the label in a few years but I recall it not being rated for indoor use, except in special cases. Maybe a basement is one. Definitely read the label for application and safety instructions. This stuff isn't Off!, it's the good poo poo.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 25, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

fyallm posted:

Ok sounds good. Since i cant find a good exterminator going to have the relative who works for terminex come and spray while i try and find an actual good exterminator company..

Can their stuff be sprayed indoors? The finoshed side of my basement with carpet is where i saw some

Thanks for the help guys!

Here's the thing about Carpenter Ants: they don't eat the wood, they just live in it.

So they look for food elsewhere. What you're finding around your house are just scouts looking for snacks. They're also sending scouts outside and everywhere else they can.

So if you apply the pesticide to the outside perimeter of your house as directed, the scouts will walk over it, carry it back to the nest, and spread it around. After a few weeks the whole nest will be dead.

There's no real need to spray it inside because the point isn't to kill the few ants you see around, it's to kill the nest, and spraying it outside will accomplish that much better.

It will take 2-3 weeks but it will kill the nest.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I found two more blind snakes in my crawlspace today, and killed them. That makes 4 total. I'm a bit concerned since they only feed on ants and termites according to the internet but I can find no evidence of a current infestation. Could they eat the tiny spiders and gnats that are down there? I have no idea how they snakes are getting in other than possibly burrowing under the crawlspace footer. It's all extremely annoying because I hate ants, I hate termites, and I hate snakes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hed posted:

Does this look like a bed bug?

That is indeed a bed bug. I am sorry.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hed posted:

Bed bug update... so far haven't seen any signs again. Have been vacuuming, steaming, re-applying Di earth every weekend (7-10 day hatching cycle).

We did see this on the bed the other day, can you all set my wife's mind at east? Pretty sure this is a silverfish and not a bedbug (thorax too torpedo-like, not bulbous) but want to make sure...

index finger for reference. It was really small.

That's definitely not a bed bug in the picture.

I'm glad you're staying on top of them and hopefully killing them all. I'd keep at it for as long as possible. They are persistent assholes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
When mosquitoes get really bad I'll pull out my "mosquito sniper system"(stupid brand name) that attaches to my leaf blower and it really helps me get the talstar up into the tall bushes and tree branches where the mosquitoes hide out. It mists more than fogs and with the leaf blower powering it it's very directional.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

A mister is not a fogger at all. So that's the confusion. Foggers heat the product and it comes out literally as a fog.

Now I want to buy a bunch of second hand fog machines and make a constant lingering fog of death around my home.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If it was me I'd put some glue traps under the stove to see if you catch anything over night. Make sure pets and kids can't reach them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

C-Euro posted:

I did put down a couple of glue traps last night, but it's a pretty wide space under the stove so a mouse could have just gone around them if it really wanted to.

Any other signs I could look for? Footprints, poop, holes being eaten into things?

Mostly poop and chew marks would be what to look for.

Rodents like following the edges of walls and typically don't walk out in the open so push the traps up against the wall and it should get them, assuming they're there.

I am personally invested in your story because a decade ago I was renting an apartment with friends and I thought I saw a mouse and they said I was crazy until later one of them screamed and it ran out of their room. We put out a baited trap but never caught it or saw it again. It must have left the way it came in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Any ideas what these are? Animal turds or bug eggs? They're around a half a centimeter long, there were a lot of them, and they were under some rubbermaid boxes/lids. They were all confined to like a 4'x4' area. Haven't found them anywhere else. Couldn't find any nests or nesting material anywhere either.

When you bust them open they have a milky white ooz in them.

e: Looks like they are fly pupae which makes perfect sense. We found the husk of a bird a few feet from there a couple of weeks ago. So these must be where the maggots went.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 13, 2024