Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
For treating a hornet nest like bald face hornets, is it more effective to dust the opening with something like Drione or blast them with wasp freeze? Goal is to get the nest down/removed as fast possible, I have a bee suit and both products, looking for ideas to be efficient about the task though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009

Motronic posted:

This same conversation just happened like 3 days ago. My answer would be Stryker 54 or similar. It's not only the right pesticides but it's in the optimal packaging for this job.

Anything in dust application makes no sense. I've only used that for ground wasps. With anything above ground soak the entrance and whatever else you can hit from 10 feet away with a can of stryker. Do it in the evening when they're not as active. It may take multiple applications, but it's going to work relative quickly.

Thanks, I ask because I decided to go back to working for a PC company and there doesnt seem to be much agreement on a best approach for hornet nests at our branch. Some swear by a few puffs of droine into the opening then smacking it down and bagging it up. Others just say blast it with wasp freeze or whatever is in your sprayer if it says wasps on the label.

I'm almost at a point where if it's reachable with loppers, skip the foreplay and just cut it down, bag it and letting the back of a hot truck do it's work. This could be a total moron move, but it seems like more than half the other techs I work with are idiots too. *Shrug*

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Anyone know much about yellow jacket behavior? I treated a ground nest about 3 or 4 weeks ago with drione dust for someone. I came back today to take care of a different issue and decided to check in on that nest, they said it had died and they hadn't seen any yellow jackets since I'd been there. I take a look and see a few flying in and out of the hole, but when I got closer, about an inch away was a pile of large orange yellow jackets, which I'm assuming are queens and a few dozen of regular ones crawling around them.

They were pretty slow and lethargic and I blasted them and the hole with some Stryker, but what was going on with them? Were they getting rid of failed queens or something after the drione treatment?

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Anything a mouse/rat can fit it's head through, the rest can follow. I've used a pencil to figure if its mouse big enough. But also keep in mind they will chew holes that are too small into holes that they can fit through.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Springtails are usually super small and they jump. Moisture is really the big thing that they need. I've found if you can get a really good picture of something you can Google search that image and get pretty close to identifying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Bird seed is a super common way to attract all kinds of rodents. Put that stuff in a hard, sealed container to start and then search for anything else they could be interested in. Check around your foundation and wall penetrations for any gaps and seal them up.