Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Was coming here to post about seeing black ants coming into my kitchen from my back patio door, and then I saw this good post-

Motronic posted:

Yes, super easy, very much non-toxic to pretty much anything other than ants. Terro. It's borax and sugar water.

They make very handy traps in a few configurations:

https://www.terro.com/terro-liquid-ant-baits-2-pack

You should be able to find these at any hardware store and most grocery stores.

Note, this is not a neurotoxin-style pesticide. They don't die as the touch it/as you spray it on them. I'm gonna go all IPM on this: borax interferes with the digestion of ants. Worker ants, the ones you can see, pick it up out of your bait traps and will eventually die, but so slowly that they have plenty of time to get back to the hive and spread it to the rest of the ants.

So this is a "yeah it takes 2 weeks, but it actually solves the real problem" rather than spraying Talstar and killing the workers basically immediately and a few days later more ants come out of the hive and you're right back where you started.

This stuff is literally so safe you and your dogs and cats could drink it daily and suffer no ill effects. To me, that's the perfect targeted pesticide. There are only a few others that are quite that good that I'm aware of.

So I guess I'll be going out to buy some of these tomorrow. Could I place them just outside my back door if I want to keep the ants out, or will that attract other types of bugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Motronic posted:

You'll want to place them along the existing ant trails. I don't think I've ever seen an issue with them attracting other bugs but I've never actually tried putting them outside. I typically perimeter spray so that wouldn't be effective/necessary.

I haven't seen (found?) a clear trail yet, I've just seen them sniffing around in the back door that leads into the kitchen and every once in a while I'll see one on a countertop. I was going to just lay one trap by the door and see what that does.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Last night I thought I saw something the approximate size, shape, and color of a mouse dart across my kitchen and go under my stove. I couldn't get a visual on it once it went under the stove, and this morning I have so far not found any evidence of a little mouse party that happened overnight. Is there anything I can do to test whether or not there's actually a mouse now living in my kitchen/house?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SpartanIvy posted:

If it was me I'd put some glue traps under the stove to see if you catch anything over night. Make sure pets and kids can't reach them.

I did put down a couple of glue traps last night, but it's a pretty wide space under the stove so a mouse could have just gone around them if it really wanted to.

Any other signs I could look for? Footprints, poop, holes being eaten into things?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SpartanIvy posted:

I am personally invested in your story because a decade ago I was renting an apartment with friends and I thought I saw a mouse and they said I was crazy until later one of them screamed and it ran out of their room. We put out a baited trap but never caught it or saw it again. It must have left the way it came in.

Good news then, I just saw the bastard cutting back across my kitchen from under the stove to the island...where it vanished again :sad: How well can these guys climb and/or squish themselves into tight spaces, because I don't really know where it could have gone short of doubling back under the stove when I wasn't looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Eat the peanut butter you little fucker :argh: Exterminator coming in later this week.