Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I haven't tried ultrasonics on rabbits but in my experience they do nothing to mice. If only mousetrap monday had been posting years ago I could've saved some money:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW8FbXRCF9U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

As an anecdote I used to have millipedes get in under the sliding glass doors that were even with ground level for years. The doors were replaced a few years back and the new ones set into the frames of the old ones, raising the bottom up for the new tracks an inch or so and providing better seals. I rarely see them any more. It seemed like the old way to keep them out was a barrier of insecticide but that was really just massacring them and causing piles of dead millipedes to stack up in the door tracks. I think the previous owner used Liquid Sevin, but I switched to ortho home defense max. Neither killed them instantly so it was always just about killing them eventually.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Luckily I did a whole photoshoot. I am in Boston, MA area.

They are definitely fuzzy, and as best I can see their faces are all black, no yellow.

If it's an actual swarm that's trying to set up a new hive in your wall an apiarist will probably come out with something like the bee vacuum to attempt to capture them and move them to a hive somewhere, similar to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppoA0OUWE7s

You probably saw this in your research but a swam is half of an existing hive that got too full that is moving with the queen (leaving a new queen in the old hive) to establish a new hive elsewhere. Spring and early summer is definitely swarm season and a lot of beekeepers try to set up swarm catching boxes with lemongrass oil at an appropriate height in trees to attract them. If it's an existing hive that's built comb in your wall already then someone's going to have to remove a portion of wall to get the comb out so your wall isn't full of honey attracting bees, wasps, ants, or other pests. Definitely do what Motronic suggested and contact your area's agricultural extension, they will probably have a list of bee keepers who do swarm removals. It's not always free and they're unlikely to fix your wall if they have to pull it apart, but you don't want to leave them in there if there's established comb. If they can use the bees that benefits us all since bee numbers are declining and they pollinate a huge number of plants that are required for human life as we know it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you see one mouse there's definitely more than one. Ultrasonic does nothing, it's pseudoscience at best and a scam at worst. They might not like the sound but it won't stop them from going for food. Get a container for your dog's food that has a lid that seals and is made of decent plastic, reasonably thick. Also put any dry goods that you have in sealing containers. I've found that they'll chew into instant oatmeal packets, crackers, etc, although they love to dive into the trash can for scraps of whatever from ketchup packets to ham scraps to cantaloupe seeds. Getting a simplehuman can with a lid that closes has stopped that.

The only way to keep them out entirely is to block up their entry points with exclusion product (like a copper wool kind of thing or rodent proof expanding foam, not just regular stuff), but mice can get into tiny gaps you'll have a hard time finding. They'll also gnaw open entries they've been through before if you don't seal them up with something they can't get through. As someone who caught about 50 in a year at one point when it was really bad and I was just starting to work on stopping them, snap traps are the most effective if and only if you can put them in locations where your baby and dog won't go but that is a mouse highway, like the basement or wherever you find mice travel. There'll be greasy streaks along the walls and dropping since the mice use their whiskers to follow walls and poop non stop. They won't really run through an open area unless they're just running away from something. Glue traps can also work but are a little cruel, although having rodents that can carry fleas and diseases around in your house and will chew on your wires definitely outweighs the cruelty factor for some, but I still don't like them. They should also be where your dog or baby can't get to. Mint oils will dissuade mice from entering the immediate area but tend to be only useful if you reapply every couple of days, and only very near where you want to keep them away from. I've used peppermint essential oil on cotton balls and also products like Rodent Sheriff but I think the mint concentration in the latter is a little too weak for the price.

There are a zillion kinds of traps like bucket traps that you can set that might catch them that won't hurt anything else, but you'll need to judge for yourself what you think about a setup like this with a 5 gallon bucket with some water in the bottom (this is the flip n slide). It probably won't be as appealing to a couple of mice that get into your house as a bag of dog food, but if you have a big infestation it could catch a lot of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHwvVPT202Y

I like to watch Mousetrap Monday and see what's out there since there's a huge variety and Shawn Woods collects mouse traps and shows them working:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ShawnWoodsprimitive-archer/videos
His amazon affiliate page has his favorite traps including the flip n slide:
https://smile.amazon.com/shop/historichunter?listId=1D658A5F4DK6L

If those options don't appeal, I'd consider an electronic one that's not going to be set off by your dog but make sure to keep the baby away from it. It's also on Shawn Woods' affiliate page (and he's got a video about it):
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B078H55CVJ?ref=exp_historichunter_dp_vv_d

I've got a pest control company handling some of it now since they also do carpenter ant, termite, and carpenter bee treatments, and after they sealed some entry points there are far fewer mice coming inside these days, but they still do manage to get inside when the weather gets cold and I usually catch a few over the winter. The company also puts down bait in bait boxes that kills the mice. It's a poison that they claim isn't lethal to most other animals that might eat a dead mouse in the tiny dosage they'd get from that (assuming the mouse got a small percentage of its body weight in poison, and the thing eating it is a lot bigger than a mouse). That said I don't know how much it'd take to build up in the local ecosystem or if it would, I mostly trust that the pros aren't nuking all the local fox population since I see them fairly often. I don't love poison, but it does keep their numbers down. There have only been a couple of times that I've been pretty sure one died somewhere inaccessible and while there is a smell, it doesn't linger for more than a week or so, usually. It's part of a multi layer strategy for trying to keep the rodents out and numbers down. The bait boxes are heavy plastic so at least in that case your baby or dog would be unlikely to get inside of one without a real ruckus, but I could see just avoiding the issue entirely.

Ultimately even if you kill the ones inside, they won't stop coming in until you get their entry blocked up but it can be a challenge. Killing the ones that do get in does help stop them from building nests, having babies, being destructive, getting in your food, and potentially causing health issues or house damage.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 5, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RoastBeef posted:

About eight feet off the ground - I could touch it from the porch if I was feeling particularly suicidal. Mosquito head net is a good call, thanks for the tip.

I'd feel comfortable blasting that and going inside very fast. I'd consider the foaming spray to blast at the hole there, although most wasp spray is a big stream that goes far and should work for that as well since it's not a huge nest. Try it out (outside) before you go after the wasps so you know how it shoots. I'd just either start from pretty far back and spray and move away or give it a quick blast and go inside. Either way you don't want to let them see you and that you're doing something, minimize the time you're there. Once you spray them they'll likely be too busy dying to attack you although it can happen. In less than an hour they'll all be dead, and the ones who are out and return to the nest will likely die as well. You won't need to use a huge amount of spray for that little nest, but you'll want to leave it alone for a while afterwards, maybe overnight. Then, after you're certain there's no more activity, you can get up on a ladder and get it into a trash bag. There's usually a single point where it's adhered onto the building and sometimes a scraper can help get it off.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm sure a lot of folks have seen it already since Mark Rober is up to like 24 million subscribers on YouTube but he did a video recently vising the urban entomology lab at Rutgers and learning a lot about bed bugs. It's not a specific plan on killing them but it may be useful to understand how they live and what is done to corral them. They do also cover what kills them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JAOTJxYqh8

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 17, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hed posted:

Bed bug update... so far haven't seen any signs again. Have been vacuuming, steaming, re-applying Di earth every weekend (7-10 day hatching cycle).

We did see this on the bed the other day, can you all set my wife's mind at east? Pretty sure this is a silverfish and not a bedbug (thorax too torpedo-like, not bulbous) but want to make sure...

index finger for reference. It was really small.

I'm not sure what it is but it doesn't really resemble a bed bug. This is a bedbug life stages image from the bedbugs subreddit:
https://i.imgur.com/fKJU5mY.jpg

They do some IDs there but it looks like maybe a springtail due to the large-ish antennae for its body? Possibly a booklouse or something, but I'm not a bug expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Not an expert but looking at some google images point to maybe spider beetle on bugguide.net:
https://bugguide.net/node/view/88819/bgimage

There's a lot of beetles that look similar, though. Might be worth posting for an ID somewhere specific like there or reddit. You'll need to specify your geographic area to try and narrow it down there, too.