Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wife just saw this fucker near the attic entrance in my two-story house. Sure looks like a termite to me. I've been up in the attic as recently as December but haven't seen any signs. I'm in the midwest (St. Louis metro), and where I'm from I'm only used to seeing these with pretty obvious mud tubes going up the sides of buildings. It's been in the high 20s-low 40s the past week and I was just lamenting how I saw a stink bug and obviously the vents and fixtures aren't sealed as well as I would like.

It's a few hours until I get home, is it premature to go order some Bora-Care? I have a pretty large attic and can move around OK, biggest issue will be it's got blown insulation so kind of hard to see all the members completely. There are also a few sections of the attic mostly cut off by OSB so not sure how I'd completely spray those compartments. I would appreciate any tips or stories of how you'd do mitigation.

Obviously I will need to inspect the members, roofing, and deal with any damage already dealt.

Only other thing about this attic is the 2nd story HVAC is up there as well, as well as vents.

Edit: OP’s right I may not have heeded Step 1... someone told me this might be a lacewing, which I haven’t seen before, and the abdomen seems to match up much better.
Still leaving this up so that the internet can tell me to stop a logistics build up for WW3...

Hed fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks all. I appreciate the quick feedback before I went down the bad Able Archer 83 path.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Borrow a neighbor’s Labrador :v:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can just get your hands on borax and sugar and make all the Ant WMD you want.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Where do you typically apply it? When I was running experiments I found that establishing a perimeter (15' away from the deck/patio) seemed to work just as well as in the whole yard. Live several states away now so I'll probably have to see if that still holds true.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Does this look like a bed bug?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp. Sitter sent us that picture while we were out on a date, my 8 year old had that (engorged adult?) and 2 smallers under pillow. We came home and stripped everything cloth, in sealed bags while we wait to launder everything. Took down drapes, stuffed animals, all the blankets/pillows they "have to have". We had my oldest take a shower and set up a bed in the basement. Pulled bed away from wall, vacuumed, etc.

I suspect my wife's CL bed frame/headboard/footboard find had it? In the garage for a few weeks, has been in his room for 2-3 and now we've found these on the pillow. Wife cleaned it with surface cleaner but there are crevices and slots for the rails, etc.

Sealing up the mattress, using our clothes steamer to go around the room especially at interfaces like carpet and walls, frames and jambs, bed frame itself, etc. Will apply some Di earth today around the same places.

I also ordered the DoMyOwn bed bug kit #3. Our oldest will be at grandparents / out of his room for the next 2 weeks so we'll do some shock treatment and keep maintaining it for the next few months. We never saw traces of anything while cleaning but are certainly looking now. I sure hope it hasn't spread to our other bedrooms.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bed bug update... so far haven't seen any signs again. Have been vacuuming, steaming, re-applying Di earth every weekend (7-10 day hatching cycle).

We did see this on the bed the other day, can you all set my wife's mind at east? Pretty sure this is a silverfish and not a bedbug (thorax too torpedo-like, not bulbous) but want to make sure...

index finger for reference. It was really small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They don't list it on their invoice. I can call tmw and find out.

This is what another company in my area says:

domyown recommends these: https://www.domyown.com/mosquito-control-kit-professional-p-14630.html

Does an IGR help with adult mosquitos or would it only be effective on larvae? I am pretty good about not having standing water on my property, so I don't know that I really need alot of treatment for larvae.

When they would do that in Virginia we would just call someone up and ask them what they sprayed for X application because my wife was pregnant at the time. They'd give us the chemicals and from there I could go to the labels and devise my own plan.