Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Because of COVID my car is now also a restaurant booth and is messier than it's normal rolling trashwagon state. I have been seeing tiny black ants crawling around in it and I wish they weren't there. Aside from not being so slovenly, is there some kind of trap or bait I can put out for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I don’t think that’s a termite, but I am no expert. The winged ones usually swarm in warm weather, and where there’s one there’s a million. The do my own pest control site has a decent ID guide. That being said, if you are in a termite prone area (no idea if st. Louis is-maybe subterranean but hopefully not Formosan?) you should have a termite bond of some sort on your house.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Nothin quite like that week old dead rat in the wall in august smell to make a house feel like a home.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I hadn't even considered wildlife getting the poisoned mice, but having dead rodents in your walls/under your house really fuckin stinks for about a week, especially this time of year. If you can trap them and empty the traps, it's much less smelly.

When I had *something* living in the crawlspace under my house, mothballs did seem to help a little? But if it got cold enough they ignored them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mosquitos in my yard are already worse than ever (or maybe I'm just noticing them more since I'm outside with the dog more than I used to be) and I've been considering getting it treated by one of those 'mosquito-free yard' companies. Do they just blast everything with pyrethroids or somethin and kill the butterflies and bees just as much as the mosquitos or are there more selective mosquito-only herbicides they use?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

Depends on where you are and who you hire.

Around here garlic extract takes car of them and that's what the bulk of the companies use. "Around here" being lower northeast/eastern PA.

You should absolutely ask. And if it works in your area you can just buy the garlic stuff and a backpack sprayer.

Is there a particular garlic extract you’d recommend? I’m on the gulf coast so conditions may be very different here, but it seems worth a try.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Well the mosquito people I talked to seemed nice and knowledgeable and at least pretended to care about the bees and the lady said she didn't have any bees in her yard but she hadn't noticed them before spraying and she still had lots of butterflies and dragonflies and they try to avoid spraying around flowers etc. so I guess I signed up for some chemical warfare and we'll see how it goes.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

gay for gacha posted:

Any tips on getting rid of flies in an outdoor space assuming there isn't trash or anything in the yard? I live in a really urban area so I'm sure someone nearby has a trash problem but i would like to be able to eat outside without worrying about flies swarming.

Fly traps. Tricky traps work okay, the bag ones they use around barns work better. Put them around your property but not right near where you eat as they do attract flies.

Be warned the digested fly juice that gets in them is pretty gross.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trickortreat posted:

What are the most effective ways to do termite prevention? I live in Texas where they are a real thing, but I'm trying to decide between paying a company to lay out the bait stations, paying more to have them dig a trench and pour chemicals in, or DIY (probably not for me owing to the liability if I don't do it correctly).
The best is poison the earth under and around your house for decades with chlordane. But that's illegal now, so second best is both bait stations and trenching. Are you on the gulf coast/east Texas where Formosan termites are an issue, or is it only subterranean in your area? Trench, drill piers or under slab and treat, and use bait stations for monitoring is the best you can do. Bait stations also aren't really 'bait' stations in that they do not attract termites. Termites forage randomly and so have to run into the bait station, which are usually only every 10' or so (but termites also forage broadly so it's fairly likely that they will run into one if they are active in the area). They also have to be monitored-when termites are detected eating the 'bait' it is swapped out for poison which they take back to the main colony and (hopefully) that will kill the colony. A third option which is better in new construction than existing construction (but may still be viable if you're on a crawl space) is treating all exposed wood with a boric acid solution like boracare.

Absolutely do not do this yourself. Not because it's all that hard, but because the reason you get a termite company to do it is to get a repair bond where if you get termites, they will fix the damage. If the cheaper company doing bait stations will still give you a repair bond, hey, let them-it's their problem. If neither company is offering a repair bond is only offering a retreatment bond, I would go with trench/drench treatment with fipronil. Termite companies are also shady af so watch out and keep every scrap of paperwork you ever get from them because your lawyers may need it one day. I unfortunately have experience with Termite Law, but I also learned a whole lot about termites in the process :science:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thought I conquered my pantry moth problem a year ago.

Have pantry moths again in the same cabinet :negative:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have been paying a company to spray for mosquitos in my yard. It's worked great, way more pleasant to be outside during our like 9 months of mosquito season. It's not particularly expensive but it also seems like the kind of thing I could pretty easily do myself-they are usually here for 15-20 minutes every 21 days. What all would I need? Just a fogger and the relevant insecticides? I think whatever they use is some sort of pyrethroid, but I think they use a mix of a few things. Is it mostly just spraying up under shrubs or do I need to blast the grass too? What precautions would I need to take around my flowers to do the least harm to bees and butterflies?

e: would this little guy be sufficient? https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-Battery-Fogger-Mister-with-2-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-P2850/307244559 I already have a bunch of ryobi stuff at the house. My yard is ~100'x 150'

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 10, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

Go grab your last invoice and see what they're actually applying. I use garlic extract and it works great. That's not something that works on all mosquito varieties, so what you're dealing with locally matters.

What you need to/should be applying will determine the appropriate equipment of course.

They don't list it on their invoice. I can call tmw and find out.

This is what another company in my area says:

quote:

Using a backpack sprayer designed for precise application, your technician targets shrubs and plants with a barrier spray that kills mosquitoes on contact and bonds to foliage, where it acts as a mosquito repellent for weeks to come. Within 30 minutes of spraying, your yard is ready for family and pets to come out and play
All of the barrier spray chemicals we use are synthetic forms of pyrethrins called pyrethroids. Pyrethrins are insecticides that are derived from a naturally occurring compound called pyrethrum found in the chrysanthemum flower. Pyrethroids are used in numerous commercial products that consumers use to control insects such as household pets insecticides, pet shampoos and sprays, and even lice shampoos applied directly to the scalp. The standard barrier spray treatment is effective on other pests such as fleas, ticks and some flies as well.

domyown recommends these: https://www.domyown.com/mosquito-control-kit-professional-p-14630.html

Does an IGR help with adult mosquitos or would it only be effective on larvae? I am pretty good about not having standing water on my property, so I don't know that I really need alot of treatment for larvae.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

That sounds.......not in accordance with at least my state's law on pesticide applications.

I would skip the IGR - they're super expensive and aren't going to do much for you. They are a long term play on reducing the amount in your environment, but unless you're treating a significantly large area or you and all your neighbors are doing something like this I don't think it's really going to do anything noticeable.

In fact I'd skip all of that and just use talstar with a backpack sprayer and see if it does the job for you. It probably will.

ExciteR might be good to have around, but it's more of a fast knockdown thing that shouldn't be necessary if you're keeping up with the talstar treatments. It's not even very durable. Talstar is effective for weeks - exciter less than a day so maybe save your money and grab a one ounce bottle of it (https://www.domyown.com/exciter-insecticide-p-671.html) for "oh crap, people are coming over and I haven't treated in so long we're gonna get eaten alive" to mix in with your normal talstar treatment.

And since I've now ruined your excuse to buy the fogger, I'll just leave this here: https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P2860
Thanks! Wouldn't the fogger do a much better job of getting up under leaves and stuff? Or does talstar not play nice with one? What is the garlic spray you use? That at least seems worth a try since presumably it doesn't hurt the pollinators.

I'm on the gulf coast and I think we mostly have Aedes (tiger mosquito, yellow fever mosquito) and Culex (southern house mosquito) mosquitos if that's any help.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

Talstar P isn't labeled for fogging. Most things that you can fog are ULV formulations (ultra low volume, i.e. super concentrated). I do not like fogging application because it's very imprecise and super susceptible to drift especially with any wind at all. In my opinion a properly calibrated spray does a better job for insecticides, especially high residual products like Talstar. You get it where you need it to go, and if it's not absolutely EVERYWHERE it's still close enough an appropriate quantity in the correct general area, not 2 yards over in someone's baby pool.
I think I'm a bit confused on 'fogger' vs 'mister.' Something like this is what I see the mosquito people spraying with: https://www.domyown.com/tomahawk-power-mist-blower-tmd14-with-turbo-boost-p-21112.html and I just confirmed they are spraying Talstar and permethrin with it. Are they not supposed to be doing that, or is Talstar okay in a mister? How is that mister functionally different than this ryobi fogger/mister:https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P2805A?

I have alot of low shrubs and spraying up under the leaves with a normal wand sprayer seems like a tremendous pain in the rear end unless I am missing something.

In addition, would talstar make a good barrier spray around the exterior perimeter of my house for roaches etc or would something else be better?

right arm posted:

I used some talstar and a pump mister on a Friday morning pretty much everywhere on my property in Memphis and by Saturday I had zero mosquitos lol

not a single bite and the previous weekend I probably had like 20+ from doing yard work without bug spray. didn’t have to put any on the weekend I used the talstar. it rules
Like one of these things? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Large-Pr...dener/427839851 How large is your yard?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

right arm posted:

Lol that’s loving cool I’m sold

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

A mister is not a fogger at all. So that's the confusion. Foggers heat the product and it comes out literally as a fog. So just about any liquid pesticide mix should be fine in a mister.

I don't have any experience using a "power mister" like that because my sprayers work just fine. I've not seen anyone around here using them either. Might be a regional thing.
Okay yeah looking at the parts list on that Ryobi thing it seems like its actually a mister. There's no heater or anything. Doesn't have stellar reviews tho so seems like the ryobi sprayer + MOSQUITO SNIPER SYSTEM + blower seems the easiest and most flexible.

E: presumably talstar is pet-safe when dry? I have a dog.