Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water. And we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach.
WELCOME TO LET'S RACE!!

Animation by Nalwonk | Glitchy Visual Effects and Logo by Sprasshu

• On December 9th, 2012, the original (to my knowledge) Let's Race thread was created by an SA user named Smite, who changed his username to Smight in 2017
  • The initial concept was to get people into a call together playing the same video game, record their footage and race one another to finish the game first
  • Racers would sync their audio (3, 2, 1, Sync) and then start their game at the same time, usually by doing a countdown (3, 2, 1, Go)
  • When the race was over, everyone would send their footage over to the host and they would edit together the footage into a full race
  • During the active period of the thread's existence, the thread was very successful, amassing over 1000 replies and 400,000 total views
  • An off-shoot of the thread was created by The T on June 13th, 2015, but had a very short life span before being abandoned
  • Eventually, racing began to slowly die off, and after Manic X's post on August 9th, 2016, the thread had been abandoned and was eventually locked and thrown into the archives

Fast forward over 4 years later, and I, as well as a few others, are still keeping the Let's Race format alive within our own communities and corners of the internet.

Welcome to the 2020 revival of the Something Awful Racing thread!

NOTE: THIS IS JUST HOW I OPERATE THINGS WITH MY OWN RACE SERIES! IF YOU WANT TO JOIN THE RACES WITHIN MY COMMUNITY, THESE ARE THE REQUIREMENTS!
  • Owning a microphone is a good start
  • Discord is required (Skype is obsolete)
  • Have OBS or XSplit or any other program that you can record or stream gameplay with, capture cards are optional and will probably never be required for a race
  • A good enough computer to use these programs without lag/framerate issues and whatever emulators may be required
  • Decent/stable internet is optional, if your internet is too poo poo to stream without it dropping out on you, record your footage and send it to me later
  • In OBS/XSplit, preferably have your video output settings set to 1280 x 720, 30 or 60fps, minimum resolution settings allowed are 640x480
  • Have your mic, the Discord call and your game audio all present, I typically will find my own sync point to use in the video and will use the audio of the racer who has the best sound quality anyways for the video
  • An audio sync isn't neccesary, but a countdown to when the race starts absolutely is. I get angry when I don't have a proper countdown to the race starting and might throw out the video entirely as a result
  • If your footage is trash or if it doesn't meet my requirements, it will get trashed and won't be featured in the final race upload

IF YOU ARE STREAMING YOUR FOOTAGE:
  • Keep anything that isn't gameplay off to the side (you can still have it on stream, just not over top of your gameplay)
  • Stream to Twitch, since I'm familiar with how to download VODs from there

IF YOU ARE RECORDING YOUR FOOTAGE:
  • Have OBS/XSplit recording settings set to record in mp4

Currently, I create race archives for 4 different series, 2 of which I host myself. These include:

Spraceshu and Target Practice logo were designed by Sprasshu | Terrorible Tuesday and Tyme Attack logo were designed by Wobbly Python

SPRACESHU: Bi-weekly race series (usually every other Friday night) run by myself on my Discord server Gelgium Falls, which I co-own with another SA member by the name of Terror Van. The series has been running on and off since December 2017, with our first race Super Monkey Ball 2, held on December 16th, 2017 (so emulating Gamecube may be a requirement for these races). These races tend to be more platformer based and typically are more modern than the other 3 race series, going usually no older than the N64 era in terms of that games we race for Spraceshu. Because of this, compared to the other 3 race series, Spraceshu tends to be more resource heavy and will require more powerful computer specs than is standard.

TERRORIBLE TUESDAY: Takes place every Tuesday night at 8 PM EST, and is hosted by Terror Van over at Gelgium Falls. Began 4 days before Spraceshu did, with its first race Lester The Unlikely, held on December 12th, 2017. As the name implies, Terrorible Tuesday revolves heavily around racing through terrible video games. Whoever can finish first, or get the farthest in whatever game we are racing overall within 2 hours is the winner. The series ended sometime in 2019, after it's 48th race, but was revived again on October 20th, 2020 with The Adventures Of Dr. Franken for the SNES. During it's initial run, out of the 48 races to take place, only 5 races were ever archived by me. Going forwards for the time being, archiving for Terrorible Tuesday will be back in full effect.

TYME ATTACK: Takes place every Wednesday night at 11 PM EST, hosted by Tymestalker over on Smight's discord server SmileTV. This series began before both Spraceshu and Terrorible Tuesday, as it debuted on May 25th, 2017 with its first race being Life Force for the NES, making it the longest running of the 4 series. Typically, the game's raced for Tyme Attack are usually for the NES, SNES, Genesis and Game Boy, with the occasional Steam game thrown into the mix every so often. I personally didn't start archiving much for Tyme Attack until recently starting in September 2nd, 2020. Prior to that, I've only archived 2 races for Tyme Attack, out of the like 100 that had taken place.

TARGET PRACTICE: Formerly called Console Warz, this is most recent of the race series, and the only one to have nothing archived for it as of writing this thread. Console Warz was a more casual race series I started up in mid 2019 when folks wanted to start racing different games from one another to see who could finish their choice of game first. However, with the archives of the old Console Warz race now deleted due to having to disassociate with a certain participant in these races and remove all mention of them, and the race series being rebranded to Target Practice as of January 7th, 2021, I'm looking to start over with the series. The rules for Target Practice as of now go as follows:

Everybody picks a game/games and challenge to finish in a target amount of time that matches the theme of the race (if there is a theme). Whoever can finish the challenge they've set out to beat closest to the target time set for the race is the winner!

In other words, it's not a race to finish their chosen game first, it's a race to finish around the point in time that the target time set for the race elapses. YOU COULD FINISH FIRST AND COME LAST AS A RESULT! These races are overall less focused on speed and more focused on strategy and planning.

Video uploads for all of these races that I'd archived can be found on my Youtube Channel

Another group still carrying on with the Let's Race legacy, that has been hosting races since 2015, is Games Raced Awfully, hosted by Manic X.

GRA runs things quite a bit differently from me, they more so adhere to the way the races were set up back from the original race thread. Here's a video from Manic explaining how to set up everything required for the GRA races.

If you can't be assed to watch the video, here's the key points to remember from the video in writing for you:
  • Use OBS
  • Record at an aspect ratio of 640x480 or 960x720
  • Set OBS to record in flv
  • Mute Discord call and Mic in OBS
  • Record your mic audio in Audacity
  • Start your audio recording at the same time as everyone else and do an audio sync with everyone (3, 2, 1, Sync)
  • Start your video recording at the same time as everyone else

Manic hosts these races on his GRA Discord server

Got any additional questions? The Gelgium Falls Discord is the best place to contact me.

Also, if you also host video game races of your own, share them in the thread, and if I like them and if they meet mine, Manic's, or any of the old thread's requirements, I'll add them to this thread's archive.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Bleach is healthy. It's mostly water. And we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach.
THREAD CONTENT IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

(QUALITY OF THESE VIDEOS IS BASED ON THE "YOUTUBE UPLOAD" DATE, NEWER THE VIDEO, BETTER THE PRODUCTION QUALITY, NOT THE "ORIGINALLY RACED ON" DATE)

SUPER MONKEY BALL 2 (RACED ON DECEMBER 16TH, 2017) - chaos_defrost, GeneJeanie, Splash, FlamingRok, Terror Van, Nalwonk

SONIC ADVENTURE 2 - HERO CAMPAIGN (RACED ON JANUARY 15TH, 2018) - Nalwonk, GeneJeanie, ZeroGravyon, FlamingRok, Splash, JSpades (lost footage), chaos_defrost (lost footage)

SUPER MARIO 64 (RACED ON JANUARY 27TH, 2018) - Nalwonk, Subzero7, RobbyLeT2, Splash, FlamingRok, GeneJeanie, chaos_defrost (lost footage), Terror Van (played DKC instead I think)

SONIC MANIA (RACED ON FEBRUARY 10TH, 2018) - ZeroGravyon, Sprasshu, FlamingRok, Nalwonk, CaptainFalconXNess (was an hour late and had no footage)

CRASH BANDICOOT: THE HUGE ADVENTURE (RACED ON FEBRUARY 23RD, 2018) - GeneJeanie, Sprasshu, FlamingRok, lethargicscientist, Terror Van (scrapped footage)

SONIC ADVENTURE 2 - DARK CAMPAIGN (RACED ON MARCH 9TH, 2018) - GeneJeanie, Splash, FlamingRok, Nalwonk, Terror Van (no footage)

SONIC ADVENTURE 2 - ALL CAMPAIGNS (RACED ON MARCH 12TH, 2018) - Sprasshu, FlamingRok, GeneJeanie

PAC MAN WORLD 2 (RACED ON APRIL 20TH, 2018) - FinnKaenbyou, Splash, Terror Van, Nalwonk, RobbyLeT2, FlamingRok (played on console, was no different from my footage really)

SONIC GENERATIONS (RACED ON MAY 18TH, 2018) - clark_mk_iv, GeneJeanie, lethargicscientist, Nalwonk, Sprasshu, PolterGhost (no footage, footage was replaced with Sonic Adventure footage)

SONIC ADVENTURE - AMY, BIG AND GAMMA'S CAMPAIGN (RACED ON JULY 20TH, 2018) - Nalwonk, Sprasshu, FlamingRok, GeneJeanie

WARIO LAND 4 (RACED ON NOVEMBER 13TH, 2020) - Dustminion, FlamingRok, Sprasshu, RycarFlareshine

BIRTHDAY MYSTERY RACE (RACED ON JANUARY 9TH, 2021) - Sprasshu, FlamingRok, GeneJeanie, Terror Van

:phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline:

NO RULES GET PHAT (RACED ON MARCH 13TH - MARCH 14TH 2018) - Terror Van, Nalwonk, chaos_defrost, Sudokuwiz, RobbyLeT2 and Splash (both spectating)

TYPING OF THE DEAD (RACED ON APRIL 17TH 2018) - FinnKaenbyou, Terror Van, Sudokuwiz, Nalwonk, GeneJeanie, RobbyLeT2, chaos_defrost (scrapped footage), Splash (spectating)

GREENDOG: THE BEACHED SURFER DUDE (RACED ON APRIL 24TH, 2018) - Nalwonk, GeneJeanie, Terror Van, FlamingRok, Sprasshu, chaos_defrost

INDIANA JONES: GREATEST ADVENTURES (RACED ON JULY 17TH, 2018) - FlamingRok, chaos_defrost, Nalwonk, Terror Van

THE MASK (RACED ON JULY 24TH, 2018) - Terror Van, FlamingRok, Sprasshu, Nalwonk

THE ADVENTURES OF DR. FRANKEN (RACED ON OCTOBER 20TH, 2020) - Sprasshu, Terror Van, GeneJeanie, chaos_defrost, Nalwonk, FlamingRok (spectating for the first half of the race)

THE OOZE (RACED ON JANUARY 5TH, 2021) - Terror Van, Nalwonk, FlamingRok, GeneJeanie, Sprasshu

DAIKATANA (GBC) (RACED ON JANUARY 26TH, 2021) - FionaKaenbyou, Sprasshu, Terror Van, FlamingRok, lethargicscientist

PORTAL GROUP 1 (RACED ON FEBRUARY 14TH, 2018) - RobbyLeT2, Terror Van, FinnKaenbyou, chaos_defrost (lost footage)
PORTAL GROUP 2 - Dr. Mutagen, ei, Sudokuwiz (really should of scrapped his footage though), Splash

TMNT IV: TURTLES IN TIME (RACED ON MAY 2ND, 2018) - PolterGhost, Tymestalker, Schide, chaos_defrost, ei, Dr. Mutagen, It's Paranoia

SPYRO THE DRAGON | 2 HOUR GEMS RACE (RACED ON SEPTEMBER 2ND, 2020) - Tymestalker, OkamiOfGames, Sprasshu, Dustminion

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (RACED ON SEPTEMBER 16TH, 2020) - Dr. Mutagen, Shadow Hog, Dustminion, OkamiOfGames, Tymestalker and chaos_defrost (I failed to download their VODS before Twitch deleted them)

GODZILLA: MONSTER OF MONSTERS (RACED ON SEPTEMBER 23RD, 2020) - Tymestalker, chaos_defrost, OkamiOfGames

SKYBLAZER (RACED ON SEPTEMBER 30TH, 2020) - OkamiOfGames, Tymestalker, chaos_defrost, Dr. Mutagen

VAMPIRE: MASTER OF DARKNESS (RACED ON OCTOBER 7TH, 2020) - ZeroGravyon, Dustminion, Tymestalker, OkamiOfGames, chaos_defrost, Sprasshu (spectating, recording Discord call for video, this was the first race I began doing this)

KID DRACULA (RACED ON OCTOBER 14TH, 2020) - chaos_defrost, Dr. Mutagen, OkamiOfGames, Tymestalker, Sprasshu (spectating, recording Discord call)

TYME ATTACK MYSTERY RACE #1 (RACED ON NOVEMBER 10TH, 2020) - Tymestalker, chaos_defrost, Dr. Mutagen, ZeroGravyon, OkamiOfGames, Bendyhuman, FlamingRok, Sprasshu (spectating and recording Discord call for 2/3rds of the race)

DOUBLE DRAGON - 9 LIVES CHALLENGE (RACED ON NOVEMBER 18TH, 2020) - Dustminion, Kyon2570, chaos_defrost, Tymestalker, OkamiOfGames, Sprasshu (recording call, spectating)

SUPER MARIO WORLD GROUP 1 (RACED ON JANUARY 6TH, 2021) - Bendyhuman, Tymestalker, chaos_defrost, Joeygatorman, Sprasshu (spectating, recording call)
SUPER MARIO WORLD GROUP 2 - Terror Van, Nalwonk, FlamingRok, OkamiOfGames (recording call)

SCORE DEFLECT/APRIL MYSTERY RACE 1 (GROUP 1) - Polk Kitsune, Tymestalker, Bendyhuman, Jake Monroe
SCORE DEFLECT/APRIL MYSTERY RACE 1 (GROUP 2) - chaos_defrost, Dustminion, Kyon2570, Terror Van
SCORE DEFLECT/APRIL MYSTERY RACE 1 (GROUP 3) - ZeroGravyon, Sprasshu, OkamiOfGames, FlamingRok

SONIC TARGET PRACTICE (RACED ON DECEMBER 12TH, 2020) - PolterGhost, GeneJeanie, Sprasshu, Dustminion, FlamingRok
--------------------
PolterGhost: Knuckles Chaotix + Sonic Spinball - Good Ending in Chaotix
---
GeneJeanie: Sonic Advance 2 - All Characters
---
Sprasshu: Sonic Adventure - All Campaigns (modded to skip credits)
---
Dustminion: Amy Rose in Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles - 100% 3 & Knuckles
---
FlamingRok: Sonic Adventure 2 - All Campaigns

CRASH BANDICOOT - About27Midgets, Micky J, Manic X, Trained Professional

SPYRO THE DRAGON (TEAM ALPHA) PART 1 | PART 2 | PART 3 - Trained Professional, Manic X, About27Midgets, NoSuchThing

WOLFENSTEIN 3D PART 1 | PART 2 - Manic X, Trained Professional, MickyJ, Fluffy, NoSuchThing

BOMBERMAN - Elektric Paradox, ManicX, MickyJ, NoSuchThing

SPYRO THE DRAGON (TEAM BETA) PART 1 | PART 2 | PART 3 | PART 4 - Manic X, MickyJ, NoSuchThing, Elektric Paradox, Fluffy, DinoDan

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY - Manic X, T. Professional, Midgets, Elektric Paradox

CRASH BANDICOOT 2 - ManicX, MickyJ, EP, 27Midgets, Fluffy, Lister

CROC: LEGEND OF THE GOBBOS - ManicX, MickyJ, Midgets, Fluffy

ALADDIN - SuccinctAndPunchy, ManicX, Ultigonio, Pat? Cody? Whatever. (no footage)

POKEMON FIRE RED - Manic, Elektric Paradox, Fluffy, JR, MickyJ, Kazu

FREEDOM PLANET: TEAM TRYHARD - Manic X, SuccinctAndPunchy, Ultigonio, Ballistic Clipboard, Combat Lobster

CRASH TEAM RACING - Dr. Manic X, Elektric Paradox, Kazu, NoSuchThing, MickyJ, Mr, Lister, Voice Of Mum (no footage)

FREEDOM PLANET: TEAM TRY-HARDER - SuccinctAndPunchy, Combat Lobster, Dr. Mutagen, Manic X, Robust Laser, Snorunt Pyro

RAYMAN - Manic X, Captain Turbo, Elektric Paradox, Micky J, Trained Professional, Fluffy

SPYRO 2 - Manic X, Captain Turbo, Demous, Hamooken, Elektric Paradox, DinoDan, NoSuchThing, MickyJ

KULA WORLD - Manic X, Elektric Paradox, NoSuchThing, ShiN, Micky J, Fluffy

MEGAMAN ZERO - Shin, Manic, Trained Professional, Fluffy

LEGO STAR WARS - NoSuchThing, Trained Professional, Elektric Paradox, Manic X, Demous, Mr. Lister

RC REVENGE PRO - Micky J, Manic, Thunder, Trained Professional, Torrent

SPYRO 3: YEAR OF THE DRAGON - Micky J, Manic, NoSuchThing, Ratchet Mania, Thunder

CRASH BANDICOOT 3: WARPED - Micky J, Manic, ShiN, E-102 Tezuka Rin, Elektric Paradox, Ratchet Mania

BATTLEBLOCK THEATER - MajorMedic & MickyJ789, Elektirc Paradox & NoSuchThing, Manic X & Hamooken, Ratchet Mania

BOMBERMAN FANTASY RACE - Elektric Paradox, Manic X, NoSuchThing, Micky J, Shin, Ratchet Mania, Pyro Vixen (no footage)

LEGO STAR WARS II - NoSuchThing, Manic X, Micky J789, Elektric Paradox, Trained Professional (no footage)

SONIC 2 GROUP 1 - FoldUpVermin, E-102 Tezuka Rin, Electric Paradox, NoSuchThing
SONIC 2 GROUP 2 - Captain Turbo, Manic X, Odogg, Thunder, Hamooken, Pyro Vixen (spectating)

LEGO RACERS 2 - NoSuchThing, Manic X, Micky J789, Elektric Paradox, D6 (no footage)

SPYRO THE DRAGON (THE LAST EPISODE) - Ratchet Mania, E-102 Tezuka Rin, FoldUpVermin, Mr. Lister, Thunder, T00N3Y (Manic X)

SUPER MARIO 64 - Tooney, Shinnessten, NoSuchThing, BloodyThunderX, FoldUpVermin, Elektric Paradox

CRASH BASH - Manic X, Micky J & Fluffy, NoSuchThing, Hamooken, Elektric Paradox, FoldUpVermin, Manic Toon (bonus footage from Manic)

CRASH BANDICOOT (GROUP 2) - FoldUp Vermin, E-102 Tezuka Rin, Elektric Paradox, NoSuchThing, Tooney (playing Crash 2 instead)

APE ESCAPE - Tooney, MickyJ, NoSuchThing, Elektric Paradox

SPYRO 2 (GROUP 2) - Lv27 Markerman, FoldUpVermin, E-102 Tezuka Rin, Tooney

CRASH NITRO KART GROUP 1 | GROUP 2 - Micky J, Tooney, Ratchet Mania, HolyBajebus, NoSuchThing, Oppaiman, BloodyThunderX (Group 2), FoldUpVermin (Group 2), E-102 Tezuka Rin (Group 2)

SPYRO: ENTER THE DRAGONFLY - T00N3Y, MickyJ, FoldUpVermin, NoSuchThing

MARIO KART 64 - Oppaiman, Shin, DrMonkeyMan, Tooney, FoldupVermin, MickyJ

YU-GI-OH!: THE LEGACY OF THE DUELIST - Shin, Vermin, Milan, Micky, Mini-Tooney

CRASH BANDICOOT: THE WRATH OF CORTEX - MickyJ, Tooney, Ratchet Mania, Thunder, FoldUpVermin, Oppaiman, Dr. Monkeyman (muted)

RATCHET AND CLANK - Tooney, ElektricParadox, NoSuchThing, MickyJ789, RatchetMania

CRASH BANDICOOT 2 (GEM RACE) - Tooney-SA, FoldUpVermin, Dr. Monkeyman, MickyJ789

TEKKEN 3 - Tooney-SA, NST, FoldUpVermin, MickyJ

MINESWEEPER - tooneysa, demous85, kazu, mickyj, Dr. Monkeyman

DOOM - NoSuchThing, Tooney and Andru (footage corrupted), TrainedProfessional, Dr. Mutagen, MickyJ789, Strikeflow

SPYRO 2: CHAMPIONS CUP GROUP A | GROUP B - TooneySA, Daniel Davidson, DantaFanta, Skater6453, Lucas Bolton, Al Malloy (All Group A) | Kolapro, Ratchet5, YesWally1, Luka, E-102 Tezuka Rin, LukeRF44 (All Group B)

RE-VOLT - LooPeR231, MickyJ789, Milan, Tooney, Torrent

CRASH 3: WARPED CHAMPIONS CUP GEM RACE (GROUP A) | GROUP B | GROUP C - Koalapro Kong, Penta Tooney SA, Nitrus Lucass Bender, Dr. Danta Banta, Gladiator (All Group A) | The Psychic Gaymer MickyJ, Dr. Rilla Monkeyman, Marcus Terry Bedford, Looper The Party Pooper (All Group B) | Ratchet5 Cotote CarbonFootprint, Brandon Black, The Dark Lizzard, The Desert Monkey (All Group C)

CROC: LEGEND OF THE GOBBOS (RE-RACE) - TooneySA, Marcus Terry Breniford, LukeRF44, Dessert Monkey, Cotote/Ratchet5, NoSuchThing, The Psychic Gaymer AKA MickyJ (also his last race), Kolapro, Mini-Brandon Black, Lucas Bolton (briefly)

CRASH BASH - GROUP 2 - KolaPro, Looper321, DessertMonkeyJK, DarkLizzard, TooneySA and Lucas Bolton (both spectacting)

APE ESCAPE - GROUP 2 - Totozigemm, Spaceweeb, DessertMonkey, Dr. Monkeyman

-----

BONUS RACES
SUPER MARIO RPG | FALCONEERING FRIDAY - Terror Van, Ampillion, Tymestalker, FlamingRok, Nalwonk, chaos_defrost, Splash, CaptainFalconXNess (hosted the race, no footage)

BUBSY: IN FRACTURED TALES | JAGUAR HELL | SPRACESHU? - Tymestalker, Nalwonk, GeneJeanie, FlamingRok, Sprasshu, Hippoman, Terror Van, CRSreverb and Dustminion (both spectating and laughing at the rest of us)

SONIC ADVANCE 2 | GROUP STRAWBERRY - GeneJeanie, heavybassX, Nalwonk, Dr. Mutagen, tymestalker
SONIC ADVANCE 2 | GROUP BANANA - CptDouglasJFalcon, FlamingRok, ManicX97, Subzero7, chaos_defrost, Extreme0

BIONIC COMMANDO | STORM - Tymestalker (host, footage corrupted), Dr. Mutagen, chaos_defrost, IvyIV (mostly muted), ZeroGravyon

RENEGADE | STORM - Terror Van, Dr. Mutagen, FlamingRok, FinnKaenbyou, IvyIV, YardSaleStalker

I'll update these when I can find time to link all the archived races here to date.

OLD RACE THREADS
Taking damage to save time by Smite
Flailing Around at the Speed of Sound by The T

I'LL UPDATE THIS POST AND LINK TO THE VIDEOS IN A NEW POST IN THIS THREAD WHENEVER I GET NEW RACE VIDEOS OUT!

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 3, 2021

Terror Van
Aug 26, 2007

Are these your friends?
yesss..?
"I can't believe I raced the whole thing" - me in most of these.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Every race to take place to date that still exists in mine and Manic's archives have now all been added to the THREAD CONTENT list. New content will be added to the list as more of these Let's Race videos get edited and uploaded to YouTube. I will also make a post in this thread whenever a new let's race video is released, which if I keep on top of editing them together, should be at least once a week.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
We have no set schedule for races, we kinda do them whenever we find time. So we have an upcoming race almost exactly a month from now - 22nd November is the final race in the Spyro OG Trilogy. Spyro 3 100 Eggs. We've currently got 11 people signed up for it, so it'll be at least two groups. New entrees are welcome.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Loved these threads. Can't wait to see what kinds of races come out of it. :dance:

You think more racers and races will be taken competitively like kind of learning speedrun strats and stuff or will they more be blind or very low speedrun exposure to the game kind of races?

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Danzel Glovington posted:

Loved these threads. Can't wait to see what kinds of races come out of it. :dance:

You think more racers and races will be taken competitively like kind of learning speedrun strats and stuff or will they more be blind or very low speedrun exposure to the game kind of races?

These races are entirely casual, so the latter. Most the games we race, most of us either go into blind or with little experience playing them. Always intended these races to just be for the fun of it all, not as some sort of competition to be the best at playing video games. Though sometimes, we racers can take things too seriously, and the lines between casual and competitive get blurred.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Let's Race: Indiana Jones - Greatest Adventures | Terrorible Tuesday, now up on YouTube!

Featuring: FlamingRok, chaos_defrost, Nalwonk, Terror Van

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I know a few of the posters here are aware, but I'm just pointing out Smite is still around, he just changed his handle to Smight because of the MOBA.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Bellmaker posted:

I know a few of the posters here are aware, but I'm just pointing out Smite is still around, he just changed his handle to Smight because of the MOBA.

This is accurate and perhaps I should edit the OP to mention that. Smite also changed his name to Smight to disassociate himself from Something Awful in 2017.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 27, 2020

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Sprasshu posted:

This is accurate and perhaps I should edit the OP to mention that. Smite also changed his name to Smight to disassociate himself from Something Awful in 2017.

I've watched his show here and there over the years, almost all the guests I've watched are SA users :D I never knew he was attempting to disassociate from the site. Maybe the new owner is a good reason to come back! (It was uplifting enough for me to post more right away)

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Danzel Glovington posted:

I've watched his show here and there over the years, almost all the guests I've watched are SA users :D I never knew he was attempting to disassociate from the site. Maybe the new owner is a good reason to come back! (It was uplifting enough for me to post more right away)

Hopefully let's racing can regain some of its former popularity, as it did under Smight.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Would you mind if I use the artwork gif at the top - I could start putting it at the start of my videos too.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Manic X posted:

Would you mind if I use the artwork gif at the top - I could start putting it at the start of my videos too.

The Let's Race animation was originally made by Nalwonk, so you'd have to ask him permission to use it, you probably don't want my edited GIF of it anyways since it'll look rough editing around my glitchy visual effects. I can see if he wants to make it open source or not though, Nalwonk only ever used it for the 2 race videos he made for the now defunct SMELL (which was later changed to STORM) races before I took over with my own series.

Specifically, he used it as the intro to these races:

SONIC ADVANCE 2 | GROUP STRAWBERRY - GeneJeanie, heavybassX, Nalwonk, Dr. Mutagen, tymestalker
SONIC ADVANCE 2 | GROUP BANANA - CptDouglasJFalcon, FlamingRok, ManicX97, Subzero7, chaos_defrost, Extreme0

I asked Nalwonk if I could use it for my thread, and he said it was fine. I just edited it out of the video myself, but Nalwonk might still have the assets to the animation itself. Again though, ask him first Manic.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Let's Race: Sonic Adventure 2 - All Campaigns | Spraceshu now out on YouTube!

Featuring: Sprasshu, FlamingRok, GeneJeanie

The end of the race trilogy for Sonic Adventure 2. I would say watch the other 2 Sonic Adventure 2 races to get a better context regarding this one, but they're old and not well-edited.

To put it simply, myself and FlamingRok were equally matched in the first 2 races, with myself beating Rok in the Hero race and Rok beating me in the Dark race, so a tiebreaker was held between Rok and myself 3 days after the Dark Campaign race to beat the entire game. GeneJeanie, who had also competed in the other 2 races, threw his hat into the ring as well, and this was the end result.

Can't say for sure this'll be the last Sonic Adventure 2 race for Spraceshu, we might revisit it again in the future and I have plans for setting up a race for the Chao Garden at some point as well.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 30, 2020

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

9 Racers take on PS1 Nightmare classic Croc legend of the gobbos

Let's Race Croc: Legend of the Gobbos

Featuring: TooneySA, Cotote, MTB, LukeRF44, DesserMonkey, NST, The Psychic Gaymer (MickyJ), Kolapro, and Brandon Black.

-Briefly features Lucas Bolton's voice.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Manic X posted:

9 Racers take on PS1 Nightmare classic Croc legend of the gobbos

Let's Race Croc: Legend of the Gobbos

Featuring: TooneySA, Cotote, MTB, LukeRF44, DesserMonkey, NST, The Psychic Gaymer (MickyJ), Kolapro, and Brandon Black.

-Briefly features Lucas Bolton's voice.

Race was added to the THREAD CONTENT archive.

I'll take this opportunity again to say that if anyone else out there creates "Let's Race" videos or anything similar of the sort, again feel free to share them here and if they meet the expectations, I'll add them to the archive. Don't care if they're new or old either, if they are a part of a series you hold or used to hold, I'll add it to the OP and give it its own section in the THREAD CONTENT archive, if they were just one-offs, I'll add them to the EXTRAS RACES section of the THREAD CONTENT archive.

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 31, 2020

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

UPDATE: Been a bit inactive with the thread as of late. Failed to hit my video a week quota, college has kinda been burying me a bit. Video output is gonna slow this month, and will pick up again in December. Work on the next Spraceshu upload, Sonic Generations, has begun, then after that, I'm gonna work on a Sonic Adventure Race that happened around the same time as Generations. After I finish those 2 videos, the archives I had leftover from 2018 will be completed and I can focus on the modern day races again, starting with The Adventures of Dr. Franken, a Terrorible Tuesday race that took place on October 20th, 2020. For now, I'm gonna try to at least get Generations and Adventure edited and uploaded for this month.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Let's Race: Sonic Generations | Spraceshu

Featuring: clark_mk_iv, GeneJeanie, lethargicscientist, Nalwonk, Sprasshu and PolterGhost (no footage, footage was replaced with Sonic Adventure footage)

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

UPDATE: 2 things:

First, there were 2 Let's Race videos I previously made from 2018 that were from a racing series called STORM that I had unlisted on my channel for sometime because the quality of them weren't great. I decided to unlist them and make them public again for the thread because even though I think they are poo poo, some people might still get some enjoyment out of them.

BIONIC COMMANDO (RACED ON APRIL 14TH, 2018) & RENEGADE (RACED ON MAY 12TH, 2018)

:phoneline:

Bionic Commando is what I would consider the worst race I've ever edited together for Let's Race. Complete with race host Tymestalker's footage corrupting, videos just slapped onto the screen in random positions and all scaled differently, a godawful choice in display text with lots of particle effects, a lazy background that blends in with the gameplay at times and to top it all off, is at 3 hours in total length. To my defense, this was in the early years of editing together these race videos. Also, this race acted as a turning point for me in terms of producing these videos to put more focus in overall production quality. The next race to come after Bionic Commando, which was Typing Of The Dead, was much different and better in terms of overall production quality.

This race featured: Tymestalker (host, footage corrupted), Dr. Mutagen, chaos_defrost, IvyIV and ZeroGravyon

Renegade on the other hand is a race I unlisted just for being generally a race I found to be kind of uninteresting and difficult to follow the action with because of the kind of game it is. But on the plus side of things, everyone who competed in this race had their footage included in the video and the editing on this video is decent, with the exception of the racer's screens being a bit too small. Again though, just because that is my overall opinion on this race as a whole, doesn't mean that some people won't still find it to be enjoyable.

This race featured: Terror Van, Dr. Mutagen, FlamingRok, FinnKaenbyou, IvyIV and YardSaleStalker

Both of these races will be included into the BONUS RACES portion of the THREAD CONTENT post.

The other thing I wanted to mention was that I'm updating the THREAD CONTENT post to include the dates that each race took place. I've already started on this with Spraceshu, so over the next few days, I'll work on including that into the post. I'll be working on that over the next few days.

Work on the aforementioned Sonic Adventure race has also begun. I plan to have it out by the end of the month. That's all for this update!

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Let's Race: Sonic Adventure - Amy, Big and Gamma's Campaign | Spraceshu

Featuring: Nalwonk, Sprasshu, FlamingRok and GeneJeanie

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Let's Race: Double Dragon (9 LIVES CHALLENGE) | Tyme Attack

Featuring: Dustminion, Kyon2570, chaos_defrost, Tymestalker, OkamiOfGames and Sprasshu (recording call, spectating)

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 21, 2020

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

4 Racers take on PS1 rejected Crash game!

Let's Race Crash Bash: Group 2

Featuring: Kolapro, Looper, DarkLizzard, and DessertMonkey

Guests: Lucas Bolton, TooneySA

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Twitch Race: The Adventures Of Dr. Franken | Terrorible Tuesday

Featuring: Sprasshu, Terror Van, GeneJeanie, chaos_defrost, Nalwonk and FlamingRok (spectating during the first half of the race)

I'm done college for now, so I'm back to doing uploads again for a bit. I plan to have a Mystery Tyme Attack race that took place last month out by New Years!

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Mystery Race #1 - Tyme Attack

Featuring: Tymestalker, chaos_defrost, Dr. Mutagen, ZeroGravyon, OkamiOfGames, Bendyhuman, FlamingRok and Sprasshu (spectating and recording call for 2/3rds of the race)

Occasionally Tymestalker will host a mystery race of sorts on Tyme Attack, where the game is a mystery until the time of the race. So the game will remain a mystery on YouTube and this thread as well until people watch the video. These races don't occur very often. Enjoy!

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

UPDATE: CONSOLE WARZ IS BEING REBRANDED TO TARGET PRACTICE

Rough Draft of Banner, subject to change, all artwork by Sprasshu

The first Target Practice Race will be uploaded sometime next week! Also the rules for Target Practice have been changed to the following:

Everybody picks a game/games and challenge to finish in a target amount of time that matches the theme of the race (if there is a theme). Whoever can finish the challenge they've set out to beat closest to the target time set for the race is the winner!

OP UPDATED!

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 8, 2021

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

I'm receiving messages from Manic X and Terror Van about the thread link not working and the thread not appearing in the Let's Play forums, so this post is something of a test.

I would have no idea why the thread would be taken down, it certainly wasn't inactive as I'd recently posted the Console Warz update a mere 3 days ago. Hopefully this is just some sort of error.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Twitch Race: Wario Land 4 | Spraceshu

Featuring: Dustminion, FlamingRok, Sprasshu and RycarFlareshine

---

Also, a new series called Target Practice will have its first video debut Sunday, so stay tuned for that!

Finalized Target Practice banner by Sprasshu

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 16, 2021

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

APE ESCAPE GROUP 2

GRA's latest race up on YouTube (since Manic hasn't posted it here yet)

Featuring: Totozigemm, Spaceweeb, DessertMonkey, Dr. Monkeyman

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

The Debut of Target Practice: SONIC TARGET PRACTICE

Featuring: PolterGhost, GeneJeanie, Sprasshu, Dustminion and FlamingRok

PolterGhost: Knuckles Chaotix + Sonic Spinball - Good Ending in Chaotix
---
GeneJeanie: Sonic Advance 2 - All Characters
---
Sprasshu: Sonic Adventure - All Campaigns (modded to skip credits)
---
Dustminion: Amy Rose in Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles - 100% 3 & Knuckles
---
FlamingRok: Sonic Adventure 2 - All Campaigns

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Twitch Race: The Ooze | Terrorible Tuesday

Featuring: Terror Van, Nalwonk, FlamingRok, GeneJeanie, Sprasshu

First race to take place in the new year!

THREAD CONTENT UPDATED!

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 23, 2021

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

TWITCH RACE: SUPER MARIO WORLD - MOST EXITS IN 2 HOURS

GROUP ONE | GROUP TWO

Group One: Bendyhuman, Tymestalker, chaos_defrost, Joeygatorman and Sprasshu (spectating, recording call for Group One)

Group Two: Terror Van, FlamingRok, Nalwonk and OkamiOfGames (recording call for Group Two)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Wow the last race thread was 2016? Dang! Glad to see this thread is up and kicking.

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Donkringel posted:

Wow the last race thread was 2016? Dang! Glad to see this thread is up and kicking.

I appreciate the reply Donkringel, my hope with this thread is to hopefully revive let's race from its ashes and bring it back to its former glory by generating new found interest in it again with the races hosted by my crew and Manic's crew.

The thread hasn't been active much as of late on account of having no race VODs to edit and having not many races take place, so I've been slowly rebuilding my backlog of races again. Since the last upload, 5 races had take place, so I'll return to uploading again shortly. Will have a new race video up sometime this week!

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 21, 2021

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

SPECIAL ANNOUCEMENT!!

We are currently looking for video game race submissions for a mystery race tournement I am setting up over on my Discord server, Gelgium Falls. This will be Gelgium Falls first ever race tourney! Sign-ups for the tourney start March 1st! Anyone is welcome to join, but we could use some help with getting submissions for the tourney, so if you got any ideas, submit them to the form and I'd greatly appreciate it. Here is the link to the submission form!

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 16, 2021

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Gelgium Falls is hosting its first-ever Mystery Race Tournament! Sign ups for the tourney are now open on Challonge! Currently we are sitting at 8 participants. My goal is to get at least 16 minimum for the tourney to work at its fullest potential, and no more than 32 participants. If you like racing video games with other people or just enjoy competing in similar tourneys like Kusogrande and Giantroopa, consider signing up. We'll be kicking off this tournament starting at the end of April: https://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/fwdIiIW2Cv#/signup/z5770mhn4j

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 16, 2021

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Twitch Race: Daikatana (GBC) | Terrorible Tuesday

Featuring: FionaKaenbyou, Sprasshu, Terror Van, FlamingRok and lethargicscientist

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

(Banner subject to change)

Just a reminder that Gelgium Falls is hosting its 1st-ever Mystery Race Tournament at the end of April. Signs up are now open! We are currently at 11 participants, I need at least 16 participants signed up in order for this tourney to work as intended. Once again, here is the link to the Challonge page: https://challonge.com/gelgiumfallsMRT

Currently signed up: CirclMastr, GeneJeanie, Tymestalker, bendyhuman, chaos_defrost, PolterGhost, Subzero7, TerrorVan, heavybass, soundlyParanoid and Pufferfish_King

:phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline:

Also as a slight update, due to the amount of prep required to get this tourney set up, race uploads are on a when-I-get-them-done basis. I'll have a new race upload out soon though!

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

Twitch Race: BIRTHDAY MYSTERY RACE | Spraceshu

Featuring: Sprasshu, FlamingRok, GeneJeanie and Terror Van

For my 23rd birthday (January 10th), I tricked 3 people into racing one of the worst games on the Dreamcast. It is also a game that has been featured prominently on my YouTube channel a few times before, with each time playing it ending with disastrous but hilarious results.

It took me a while to upload this because I didn't receive FlamingRok's footage until the start of March (his laptop bricked not long after the race), and by that time, I was heavily investing all my time into my college work and setting up the Mystery Race Tournament (Which you should totally check out). I'll try to upload a couple more races during April, but for the most part, I'll be inactive with race uploads until May.

(Apologies for the cropping on Rok's video, the source video was like that when I got it and giving the nature of the race and the amount of time it took to get the footage from him, as well as the nature of Rok's situation, I wasn't gonna scrap his footage over a bit of screen cropping of what is mainly just text anyways)

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprasshu
Oct 21, 2020

For the month of April, every Tyme Attack will be a Mystery Race, with the roms decided by Tymestalker himself. I will try my best to get the archives of these races out before the end of April, so I can guarantee at least 4 race uploads this month. Tonight is the first of these 4 Tyme Attack streams (Tyme isn't around Wednesday this week, so it's happening a day early)

The first race is a Low Score race, there are 4 games, 30 minute for each challenge, and there will be a score penalty if any of us fail to complete a challenge. The first race is happening right now, go check it out!

GROUP 1: https://www.multitwitch.tv/tymestalker/bendyhuman/polk_kitsune/jakemonroe
GROUP 2: https://www.multitwitch.tv/residual_deviance/terrorvan/kyon2570/dustminion
GROUP 3: https://www.multitwitch.tv/flamingRok/sprasshu/zerogravyon/okamiofgames

GROUP 1: Tymestalker, Bendyhuman, Polk Kitsune and JakeMonroe
GROUP 2: chaos_defrost, Terror Van, Kyon2570 and Dustminion
GROUP 3: FlamingRok, Sprasshu, ZeroGravyon and OkamiOfGames

Sprasshu fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 9, 2021