Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:vince: Your name is SABA SIMBA, goddammit!

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

PWG An Inch Longer than Average 11/15/03

Excalibur: <says that TJ Perkins is back from a tour of> "Mexico, the country of poverty"

Both announcers laugh

Disco: "Poverty and Tortas"

Excalibur: "And beans my friend, beans."

Disco: "Don't discount the beans."

Excalibur: "Lest we forget the Frijoles."

---

Excalibur: "If I was from a, from an ethnic family like him, I would expect sympathy too."

---

Disco: "To say I was blown after this would be an understatement."

Excalibur: "I heard you got blown by a black girl."

Disco: "Hey! Whoa! Whoa! Sir!"

Excalibur: "Haha! Do I tread lightly?"

Disco: "Story at 11"

---

Disco: "I think Joey has an even bigger weakness, and as Salt N Pepa said, his weakness is men."

---

Excalibur: "Joey Ryan like a big gay animal crashing down right to the floor in a heap."

Disco: "Can you name another gay animal in the <Unintelligible>"<...>

Excalibur: "They do like to have their head stick in holes and they do leave their posterior pretty open"

Excalibur: "Joey Ryan as stupid as he is gay. <..> See I'm tired and I don't have a lot of material so I'm just going to keep harping on the gay thing in hopes that it's funny."

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Where are you watching all this old stuff at? Do you have a pretty big collection of old tapes / DVDs?

Also Disco Inferno called PWG ? or is it a different Disco?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Disco Machine, one of the PWG Six.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Thanks. I never really watched anything from that era, and these posts are getting me curious about the quality of the shows.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Where are you watching all this old stuff at? Do you have a pretty big collection of old tapes / DVDs?

Also Disco Inferno called PWG ? or is it a different Disco?

I've actually never bought a wrestling tape, but I have tried pretty much all of the streaming services.

CZW and old PWG are available on various streaming services. In CZW's case, they have their own and have content on most of them, including IWTV. In PWG's case, Highspots is the best. One has to dig a little harder to find certain eras of ROH stuff because their service isn't as good or comprehensive. I killed off my WWE network sub because they pissed me off, but their stuff is all over.

It was Disco Machine who sometimes also teamed up with Excalibur in the ring.

---

In 03, at least:

CZW is the best for garbage matches, heat storylines, Trent Acid, and (due to booking Mercedez Martinez in the era I'm watching) women's wrestling.

ROH is the best for general storylines and workrate.

PWG has Excalibur's super sarcastic commentary over an undercard with local guys of varying quality, and tends to (so far, at least) have an ROH quality uppercard that is treated more seriously.

I had to quit MLW before finishing the last 2-3 shows, though. They were just too brutal.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
FWIW, everything PWG ends up on Highspots on a 1 year delay. It's just not talked about much for some reason? But their Pivotshare has almost the entire run included in your subscription.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
hope pwg is up to date now since uh they haven run this whole year due to covid

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

These PWG trip reports are really weird to me given how Excalibur is now. I guess he's matured over the past 17 years (as everyone should obviously).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he's the same but can't say those types of things on television or while representing a real company

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

These PWG trip reports are really weird to me given how Excalibur is now. I guess he's matured over the past 17 years (as everyone should obviously).

I think it's reflective of a lot of us.

We were younger and the early 2000's were ruled by Family Guy, South Park, etc.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Excalibur was off Dynamite for a while because of offensive poo poo he's said in the past so these PWG reports don't surprise me one bit

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 30, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was under the impression it was one instance of using the gamer word at the suggestion of The Human Tornado, not multiple racist/homophobic jokes in one PPV.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was under the impression it was one instance of using the gamer word at the suggestion of The Human Tornado, not multiple racist/homophobic jokes in one PPV.

It wasn't one show, this is what early PWG commentary is for at least a couple of years

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Ironic hipster racism was pretty big back then. The ostensible idea was that you were making fun of racism by saying corny racist stuff. The notion was rather puerile, but it was widespread. With the rise of the alt-right, it became obvious that a fair amount of people weren't kidding, which caused the schtick to lose appeal for many.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_racism

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/09/how-memes-lulz-and-ironic-bigotry-won-internet/616427/

CZW Night of Infamy II 11/15/20:

"This isn't Compton. This is CZW. We don't want things like that here. What does he think this is? A basketball court? We don't play like that there." - Eric Gargiulo on Ruckus' heel turn

"You're talking about someone who has problems with his own sexuality" - John House regarding Rick Feinberg

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

collocation posted:

Ironic hipster racism was pretty big back then. The ostensible idea was that you were making fun of racism by saying corny racist stuff. The notion was rather puerile, but it was widespread. With the rise of the alt-right, it became obvious that a fair amount of people weren't kidding, which caused the schtick to lose appeal for many.

there wasn't anything ironic or hipster about it, people thought open racism and bigotry was instantly humorous especially those that were in their early 20s late teens back in like 2000s

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

there wasn't anything ironic or hipster about it, people thought open racism and bigotry was instantly humorous especially those that were in their early 20s late teens back in like 2000s

Yeah it was more this than irony. For example: How many of us can remember growing up in the 90s and early 2000s hearing "gay" used as an unironic insult or denigrating term for just about everything.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Pinche Rudo posted:

Yeah it was more this than irony. For example: How many of us can remember growing up in the 90s and early 2000s hearing "gay" used as an unironic insult or denigrating term for just about everything.

to be honest, i was being generous about the age range, but i felt like clocking Excalibur and other performers ages around that time that seem much more level headed now.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

KungFu Grip posted:

It's one of the reasons the SA forums became popular

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

KungFu Grip posted:

Oh, I definitely agree. I mean, there were people who used that as their ostensible excuse, but so many of them went openly racist later on that it seems beyond thin as a pretense at this late date. Plus, looking back, there is little to no difference between supposed ironic and non-ironic racism, especially online, and it's not as if calling it irony diminished the extent to which that type of casual racism laundered standard bullshit racist tropes. Irony is, however, what many used as an excuse to justify their bullshit, and that does seem like the tone that Excalibur was trying to go for, which does nothing to justify it.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

NWA TNA PPV 71 11/19/03:

"Yo, Glen Gilberti's ineptitude in our industry is legendary, just like his penchant for tossing salad." - Konnan

collocation fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 28, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Konnan really loved to talk about tossing salads. I remember him saying that a few times in WCW

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

Konnan really loved to talk about tossing salads. I remember him saying that a few times in WCW

and peeling potatoes!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And calling people "strawberry"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Alaois posted:

and peeling potatoes!

My girlfriend was walking through the room while I was watching a Nitro where he said that, she still uses it as an insult.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I used to read the Monday Nitro reports on DDT Digest regularly when I first started following wrestling online. While Bill (the site's owner) wrote the majority of the reports, he would occasionally have a guest writer fill in if he couldn't write one for any given week. One particular week, he had someone fill in for him who was also in attendance for the show; it turns out the guest writer and his buddies had floor seats a row or two behind the commentators' desk.

At one point, Konnan dropped by to do commentary for a match, so the guest writer's buddies took it upon themselves to loudly crack racist jokes and hurl racist comments at Konnan, presumably in an effort to distract him. While I want to say that the writer was bragging about it, it was so long ago that I don't really remember what the tone was of that particular part of the report.

If you're wondering why I remember this snippet from over two decades ago, it's because when you're a teen and a person of color, even the most insignificant and non-personal encounters with racism (like from simply reading an online wrestling show report) get burned into your brain forever.

Anyways, that's my story about Konnan and racist pieces of poo poo.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 1, 2020

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Raw 11/24/03:

"Hey man, I don't know what you've heard, but V1 is all man, V1 is straight" - Matt Hardy

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Better Than You posted:

Anyways, that's my story about Konnan and racist pieces of poo poo.

Konnan's pretty outspoken about the racism he's encountered in wrestling, which is good. He also used the n-word a lot when he had a podcast on MLW's network, which is less good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Konnan's pretty outspoken about the racism he's encountered in wrestling, which is good. He also used the n-word a lot when he had a podcast on MLW's network, which is less good.

Unfortunately, sometimes victims of bigotry think their years of suffering abuse entitles them to be lovely to other marginalized groups. Look at some of the lovely stuff Dave Chappelle said about trans folk. Then he doubled down, then used the "my trans friend thought it was funny" defence.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Smackdown 11/27/03:

"I'm talking to you, you little jumping bean." - Brock to Mysterio

"Let me give you some advise, cut these losers loose, and let me put some white sprinkles on your chocolate mousse." - John Cena to Shaniqua

"You may be Native American, but I'm pitchin' a teepee" - John Cena to a woman in a NA costume

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Raw 12/8/03

The Rock being The Rock to La Resistance and the camera man said:

"The Rock knows Marty the cross dressing camera man here. Don't worry your secret is safe with The Rock."

"You come out here running your mouth to Mick Foley about how you're gonna beat him French style. What the hell is that? What are you doing to do? French kiss him to death? Is that what you are going to do? <..> The Rock knows you two are a little fifi anyway."

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

have you thought about turning this into a coffee-table book? maybe one edition per 3-5 years

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Cavauro posted:

have you thought about turning this into a coffee-table book? maybe one edition per 3-5 years

No, but I always thought that it would make a heck of a video, albeit a long one.

---

NWA TNA 74 12/10/03:

"I'll tell you what. You guys debate same sex marriage on somebody else's time. We got titles to defend." Road Dogg to Swinger, Diamond, Gilberti, and David Young

"Let me tell you Triple J*. Your boyfriend Callis..." - Eric Watts

---

*Watts is trying hard to get over Triple J: Jeff Jackass Jarrett.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

collocation posted:

*Watts is trying hard to get over Triple J: Jeff Jackass Jarrett.

Did DDP feed him that burn?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Double J Jeff Jackass

or

Double J Jackass Jarrett

Would have been fine

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Did DDP feed him that burn?

Can't be, didn't use the word scum

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Smackdown 12/11/03:

"Brock Lesnar can get each and every one of you deported. You see I got a little chant for you guys right here in Mexico. San Diego where the hell we're at. You all look the same. It might as well be Mexico. It looks like Mexico out here. So I thought I'm in Mexico. I mean San Diego." - Brock Lesnar

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Brock's from South Dakota so I don't think any of that was scripted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

CZW CAGE OF DEATH V 12/13/03:

The crowd chants <f word slur referring to homosexuals> for Rick Feinberg after he gyrates to pop music.

"Pay attention, I know you're from Puerto Rico, pay attention." - Rockin Rebel