Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A lot of places are absolutely swamped with applications since covid in addition to having limited volunteers so I’m not surprised it’s been such a hassle.

It might be more productive for you to find a rescue organization you really like, go through the application process and then tell them what exactly you’re looking for. They can keep that in mind as they get in new dogs and could potentially mean getting first dibs before they even get posted on petfinder or whatever.

You also could look into people looking to privately rehome their dogs for a reasonable adoption fee on places like Craigslist or your local pet rehoming fb page. You wouldn’t be supporting a rescue directly and you’d have to do all the evaluation and vetting yourself but you could be keeping a dog from needing to enter the shelter system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

OP it seems like rescues in your area are doing pretty well so maybe you can shift to contacting good breeders in good conscience. Rescue is great but supporting good breeders of a breed you like is good too! No one can say you haven't tried and you can always donate to rescues if it makes you feel less guilty. It sounds like filling out a million rescue applications is making you insane so at least filling out a breeder's application would be a change of pace!

You'll probably still have some that ghost you because dog breeders are bad at the internet as a rule and there will probably still be a wait (my breeder had an older puppy available when I contacted her but that isn't the norm) but at least you would know that you would be on waiting list and there will be a puppy that fits your needs eventually. If you don't want a puppy breeders sometimes have dogs that have been returned or are looking for pet homes either after breeding or washing out of a breeding program.

I have dogs from both places and they're all good dogs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

:sever: and get a puppy

jk, good luck on your quest OP! In my experience, the right dog shows up when you need it.