Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i was just thinking about this game we used to play all the time in the computer lab when i was a kid. it was called goldfields and was about trying to strike it rich during the ballarat goldrush. its basically kind of an oregon trail like for australia except the goal is to make money instead which is ftw. i also know it has no end because i figured out how to optimise it as a kid and ended up making billions of dollars and probably destroying the educational aspect of it entirely

if you want to experience being 8 years old in a 90s australian primary school you can download and play it here or you can buy a slightly updated version from the company that is still selling a game made in 1986 for $36.32 for some insane reason lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

=> Information for “new chums”.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

we still had this in primary school in the mid 2000s. there weren't enough computers in our classrooms so i remember playing it in teams to see which group could earn the most to win a tim tam prize before we went on the big overnight trip to the gold fields

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

amenbrotep posted:

we still had this in primary school in the mid 2000s. there weren't enough computers in our classrooms so i remember playing it in teams to see which group could earn the most to win a tim tam prize before we went on the big overnight trip to the gold fields

lol, thank you public school for not having enough computers to play a 20 year old game

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the same developer also made another school room staple Kraken: a deep sea quest which i distinctly remember for being boring as hell. its also available for sale on the greygum website for a mere $52.25

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Those 1-bit photos are from Sovereign Hill in Ballarat.

Did your school computer have gumboots? It was like an Australian version of Carmen Sandiego but worse
https://youtu.be/tIoYDwFl9Go

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What is the legality rating for

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

What is the legality rating for
might be related to gold licenses and the general dislike of having to pay ~$84 a month to pan for gold regardless of if you found anything or risk having your head stoved in by a retired soldier pulled in to replace all the cops who quit to pan for gold

when i started primary school we had apple iis with some old-rear end apps i can't remember the name of and am unable to find anything about for the very life of me, i might draw some mockups at some point just to see if anyone else remembers them. one of them was like a sticker book where you could go up and down a tree and place/move characters who would wander around by themselves, like a white rabbit. by the end we had pcs with GIZMOS AND GADGETS which ruled

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The Kins posted:

might be related to gold licenses and the general dislike of having to pay ~$84 a month to pan for gold regardless of if you found anything or risk having your head stoved in by a retired soldier pulled in to replace all the cops who quit to pan for gold

when i started primary school we had apple iis with some old-rear end apps i can't remember the name of and am unable to find anything about for the very life of me, i might draw some mockups at some point just to see if anyone else remembers them. one of them was like a sticker book where you could go up and down a tree and place/move characters who would wander around by themselves, like a white rabbit. by the end we had pcs with GIZMOS AND GADGETS which ruled

gizmos and gadgets was some drat win. whenever you played a game with this dude, you were in for a good time:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elementary school computer class ftw. i remember we had one that was a big haunted mansion you had to explore and use different items in the different rooms to get rid of the ghosts, but i can never think of what to google to find it.

i know "chease and pepperoni" is played out, but in elementary school computer class, we did play some oregon trail and our teacher wanted to use the tomb stone names to see who had actually played for our grade, but the Tombstone Pizza commercials had like just come out, so basically everyone in the class put "cheese and pepperoni." she got really upset. her name was mrs. dumphy and everyone started calling her mrs. dummy after that behind her back, until one kid said it to her face when he was mad about having to do LOGO again, and she started crying and he got in big trouble.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Spoderman posted:

gizmos and gadgets was some drat win. whenever you played a game with this dude, you were in for a good time:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
in middle school the entire computer class would have oregon trail races. pick banker, buy enough food so you never have to shop, 20 oxen + grueling pace for maximum movement speed. powerful speedrunning techniques for a 12 year-old

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The only game we had was commandos and monster truck madness free demo and you could play them at lunch instead of playing in the yard

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

We'd play Street Rod and you could only race for pink slips so someone else could get a turn after you lost the first race.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Kid Pix and All the Right Type 3 .

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we had that java port of quake and would play it in the CADD lab after finishing our assignments lol.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i spent three months of recesses trying to find a way to steal hexen to play it on the school computer, then lost recesses and got grounded for a week after my mom heard about what i was doing and showed the teacher hexen screenshots

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Bicyclops posted:

elementary school computer class ftw. i remember we had one that was a big haunted mansion you had to explore and use different items in the different rooms to get rid of the ghosts, but i can never think of what to google to find it.

Hugo's House of Horrors?

Another good game was Math Rescue where you jump around collecting numbers and when you press spacebar a butterfly dude appears and dumps slime on the baddies. There was also word rescue I don't think it was as good.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

in 2nd grade I loaded up number munchers and started the 'prime number' mode and it glitched and only put out 1s and 2s. I didnt know what a prime number was but I knew it meant only eat 2s. I got the schoolwide high score and they put my name on the wall of the computer lab

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh yeah we had one where you picked a haunted kewpie doll at a carnival and got pulled away to a deserted island full of puzzles. no idea what it was called but it was cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I remember in fourth grade we had three DOS computers in our classroom which was a big upgrade over the 10 year old Apple IIs other classes had. There was a rudimentary login system and all the kids had access to was a bunch of educational software like Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, etc. One time the teacher was on the computer and I saw over his shoulder that he had Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and other games on his login. RIP Mr. Williams, one of the best teachers I ever had

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I remember in middle school playing with My Own Stories (basically story book weaver) and making weird stories and adding to various stories under the alias "me", I made a story about the wii commercial guys where they accidentally burn down a house. I do have a copy of story book weaver deluxe, so maybe I should remake that story.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SpaceAceJase posted:

Hugo's House of Horrors?

Not sure, but this looks a little more advanced than what we played. I might have to find a playthrough to see, though. lol if it was a rip-off of maniac mansion, a game I also loved when I could play it at a friend's house.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah! posted:

oh yeah we had one where you picked a haunted kewpie doll at a carnival and got pulled away to a deserted island full of puzzles. no idea what it was called but it was cool

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I remember playing the hell out of the cd version of Treasure Mountain during lunch in 5th grade and being dedicated to finish the game, to the point where I realized I could just skip the educational component entirely to rise up in the ranks.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Spoderman posted:

My favourite was always Ancient Empires despite never actually being very good at platformer games

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I remember in fourth grade we had three DOS computers in our classroom which was a big upgrade over the 10 year old Apple IIs other classes had. There was a rudimentary login system and all the kids had access to was a bunch of educational software like Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, etc. One time the teacher was on the computer and I saw over his shoulder that he had Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and other games on his login. RIP Mr. Williams, one of the best teachers I ever had

Yeah we only had the IIes in elementary school, then I remember graduating up to middle school and getting DOS computers with Commander Keen. I remember they had a curling game of some kind too because I had a friend who would play that and yell instructions at the screen

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

SpaceAceJase posted:

Those 1-bit photos are from Sovereign Hill in Ballarat.

Did your school computer have gumboots? It was like an Australian version of Carmen Sandiego but worse
https://youtu.be/tIoYDwFl9Go

nope but we had the 1997 point and click rerelease of where in time is carmen sandiago that kicked loving rear end, i was the first person to beat it at my school and they rewarded me with my conputer time that i could use to sit inside the computer lab and play sim city 2000 instead of playing in the sun with my friends.

we also had the logical journey if the zoombinis so im suddenly realising how many new release games we had when they first built the computer lab building which is pretty cool for some small suburban public school

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My school computers had Myst but none of the older kids would tell me what it was or how to play it so I never got the chance :cry:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gently caress yeah! ty

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fungah! posted:

i spent three months of recesses trying to find a way to steal hexen to play it on the school computer, then lost recesses and got grounded for a week after my mom heard about what i was doing and showed the teacher hexen screenshots

Lmfao

We just ran the cows over in monster truck madness because they had the physics of like plastic models and would bounce around like crazy

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I have vivid memories of playing an old black and white Mac game about designing paper airplanes and seeing how far you could throw them in my 6th grade drafting class. The only problem is whenever I try to search for the concept the only thing that comes up is Glider, which visually fits the bill but isn't the same type of game.

Also Number Munchers and Oregon Trail on the old 5.4" floppies and The Incredible Machine later on.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also played the poo poo out of this game at a friend's house back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cizRuQy83M4

Duck Stab!
Oct 21, 2020

HERE I COME, CONSTANTINOPLE!

Anyone remember Millie's Math House?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

American McGay posted:

I have vivid memories of playing an old black and white Mac game about designing paper airplanes and seeing how far you could throw them in my 6th grade drafting class. The only problem is whenever I try to search for the concept the only thing that comes up is Glider, which visually fits the bill but isn't the same type of game.

Also Number Munchers and Oregon Trail on the old 5.4" floppies and The Incredible Machine later on.

this link isn't working right on my phone but i think this is the game, i played it as well https://svf.netlify.app/paper-airplane-mac-game.html

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

this ruight here

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Our gym teacher was also the one responsible for everything related to computers.
He would just say:”have fun on the internet kids” and do his own thing since he lived in a van without internet access.
So my educational gaming was just murdering Bin Laden on newgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I posted this on another thread, but in like seventh and eighth grade our school tried to convert a study hall into library class once a week and some very Christian kid (like, his parents wouldn't let him play black magic cards because they were satanic or w/e, he couldn't read harry potter, he told me that my girlfriend and i were going to hell because catholicism worshipped the saints as gods, etc) got caught looking at the edgy 1998 "santa = satan??" website and tried to pin the whole thing on me while he was taken out of class crying. I wouldn't have known how to do anything on the internet at the time, I had dial up AOL and just used it so I could talk to the GF w/o my mom listening in on the call.