Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, that probably wasn't entirely as the devs intended, but you did it.

In sword of the stars, it's fairly common to bypass fleets entirely to attack worlds. You just have to actually clean up the fleets later, because neither AI nor players will just leave them idling in the rear end end of space.

To celebrate your liberation from placing tanks and moving them to encircle fortresses, I'm going to inflict a puzzle 4X game upon you. It's really a 3X but who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lando131 posted:

*Words about the ending*

While I do agree with most of your points, I don't necessarily think Dante would step down right away. After all, there is still (technically) the long, "slow" process of rebuilding (I say knowing that entire planets were turned into economic powerhouses in a matter of weeks from nothing) and they would probably want Dante coordinating that. They probably could have gotten away with the news anchor saying "Fleet Admiral Dante has been appointed head of planetary redevelopment" or something just as a "Your story ends here, Dante's continues on" type ending. The galaxy is at peace, the three? (At least it looked like there were only 3 left on the map) surviving empires have allied together, and now it's time to repair the damage from the war.

Also... wait, was that the DeLorean picking up a sex worker?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Thanks for the LP! Great to see a game played that I've long been curious about. Even without going for your obsessive micro-management, I don't think I'd ever be able to complete the chore of playing Imperium Galactica :D

That final cutscene was confusing, though. Was it a news report, or an historical film? The tone was all over :/

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
I remember giving up on trying to finish this game because got stuck in a war of attrition that involved trading planets and fleets with the Dargslan, so was looking forward to seeing the ending.

Andddd it's massively underwhelming. Probably because they didn't expect many people to actually grind through to the end.

Well done SS!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Lando131 posted:

Imagine if this time next year the British Empire once again was as powerful as it was in it's heyday after successfully fighting off an alien invasion almost singlehandedly. You're darn right historians looking back on it would be getting whiplash and pulling at straws as to how THAT happened.

Agree with this completely.

inscrutable horse posted:

That final cutscene was confusing, though. Was it a news report, or an historical film?

I think it was supposed to be a news report. But I also think we were supposed to take the Human Empire seriously, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding, so *shrug*.

Randalor posted:

wait, was that the DeLorean picking up a sex worker?

Just a friend getting a ride home. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

FWIW, majority of the empires were still left. Sulleps got the best of it, but Ychoms, Dribs, Ecaleps, and Free Nations Society were all left. On the other side, we eliminated the Dargslan and Garthogs; Alliance of Free Traders and Morgath were the Darglsan victims. So there was plenty of carnage yet.

Amusingly, near the end when other empires would make alliance offers, if I saved the game and reloaded, sometimes the message would read something about how 'Director so-and-so has instructed us to offer terms of our surrender'. Apparently surrender and alliance mean the same thing in this particular dystopian galactic future. Alliance is more what they mean, since after accepting 'surrender' we had no control over their planets, ships, or ground vehicles, no extra income from their planets, etc. But that may be one final dig at the state of the galaxy and diplomatic affairs, in that apparently 'we'll help you fight your wars' and 'we surrender' have no distinction between them.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Good job winning this game! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I love the big irony of all this, how the narrative was about this superior AI finding a method to achieve victory where a human could not. However the reality of your playthough was a human finding a bunch of bugs and exploits in the AI to achieve victory.