Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
I actually wonder if it's possible diplomacy is a bad idea. If the Darglans are truly the most powerful enemies and they singularly target the player, the player alone has the burden of dealing with them. But if the weaker AIs are forced to fight the stronger AI, the result seems pretty obvious. In a game where you're forced to deal with the ground combat letting the Big Bad that supposedly has super powerful ground units take over worlds and then defend them with these powerful units it sounds like a good recipe for greatly dragging out the endgame.

I bet this could be even worse for someone who didn't rush to the endgame like Sage did. Just imagine a player who has been fighting and losing ships the whole way and hasn't built up near the economic powerhouse, as well as letting more time pass between ranks so the galactic map is more filled out. Then you ally with a few aliens... who have no chance at actually defending themselves and get overrun, empowering the final boss empire further and giving more planets you'll need to eventually wipe out yourself, only against harder enemies than if you just took over the weaker aliens in the first place.

I'm not sure if that's how the game would actually play out, but it amuses me to think that getting allies could do more harm than good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Strategic Sage posted:

:siren:
Empty Threats? Expansion Grind, Part II (24:58)
:siren:

We gradually gobble up more territory and get to see yet another failure condition - the other races simply won't stop demanding that we give up, and you literally can do that if you choose. But the grind is mostly over by the end of this episode; we're nearing the completion of the colonization push and researching what we'll need; meanwhile the Dargslan have begun throwing their weight around, which isn't good for the rest of the galaxy.

Wow. I think you were a bit hard on the Empire's previous leaders when you first got Grand Admiral rank. Why do I say that? How long would you invest in a robust diplomacy corps when literally every day you have one or more of the various other races/empires demanding your surrender? I don't think this would be a new thing just because Dante is in control. And if it's this bad now that the Empire is resurgent with Dante in control, just imagine how bad it was when the Garthogs were still a major player rather than under the Empire's control. I think in this case it's less a matter of nobody ever bothering to try diplomacy than a matter of people making a natural assumption that there are no inroads to make with a group of aliens that are demanding the wholesale capitulation and dismantling of your society on a weekly basis!

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This game looks like it would be a horrible, awful, unfun grind if you didn't know all of these tips and tricks. The endgame dance with the bombs must already be aggravating, I can't imagine how much worse it'd be if you didn't know what to do and were losing ships to the planetary defenses. The ground combat would drive me nuts too, given that if you give two rows of tanks to move forward the second row turns around because the pathfinding doesn't account for the first row moving.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

To be fair with all your criticism of how the Empire was handled before Dante takes the reigns that might not be such a crazy thing for historians to assume. Okay, the higher power bit might be a bit crazy, but assuming that an AI was put in charge?

When you look at what actually happened the Empire was run into the ground by complacent fools, was making no progress in a war with the Garthogs... and then all of a sudden became brutally efficient, cutting every corner possible and miraculously devising how to squeeze every last penny of tax from the populace without causing riots, researched exactly enough to win the war against an extragalactic threat and then gutted the research infrastructure in order to build fleets. Found ways to completely eschew normal space combat and trivialize orbital defenses to the tune of never losing a single ship in who knows how many ground invasions, and effectively went from a mediocre power to one that utterly dominates the Galaxy.

And what goes unspoken is that Dante, after achieving all of this, probably does not go 'Ok, thanks for all the power, I'm now Emperor of Everything forever,' because if he had historians wouldn't need to guess anything; the history would be 'And then God-King Dante appeared and saved us from ourselves.' I like to think that he steps down from power and immediately after the Empire goes back to it's old, inefficient ways. Which isn't all bad; a hyper efficient war economy isn't strictly necessary after the war's been won.

But imagine how it'd look to historians if this was true. A long descent from a great empire into stagnation and decay, unable to end a war with another modest power, to in a matter of five months ballooning out to expand across the entire galaxy and defeating the greatest threat Humanity has ever known... only to immediately go back to business as usual.

Imagine if this time next year the British Empire once again was as powerful as it was in it's heyday after successfully fighting off an alien invasion almost singlehandedly. You're darn right historians looking back on it would be getting whiplash and pulling at straws as to how THAT happened.

Which I think is actually pretty fun, considering Dante appearing and fixing everything is actually what happens in universe, even if it would normally take a player a lot longer and with more muddling about to win.

I have to say though that is one of the most lowkey victories I've ever seen in a game, especially one that sets the stakes so high. For all the hype the game itself gives about control of the galaxy being in your grasp it's strange it doesn't tell you what happens to Dante.