Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So do you keep the pirate fighters that joined you for that one fight? Because if you don't, I'm surprised you didn't go with plan 'Pirate Meat Shield' in that last fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Strategic Sage posted:

It's a flat rate. The only issue at hand is 'did this planet get attacked by ground troops'.

There's a building later on that reduces the loss, but there's no way to eliminate it.

So with that guaranteed population loss, is it a viable tactic to send your own invasion forces in one at a time with the cheapest ground force possible, with the goal of dealing no actual damage but bleeding the enemy's population to nothing?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
My problem with weird mysteries in plots like this, is I never know if something is intended or just someone messing up. I would have totally written off the inconsistent map and date as having been something that got changed in development but they forgot to rerecord the lines and redraw the map. When Dante mentioned his dream to her and that he was sure he'd been in the room before, I'd expect her to ask where, or at least ask him to describe the room. But again, I just wrote off her not doing that as the writing being not particularly great.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm a little disturbed that the 'war council' has a Geneticist at all, to be honest.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Torrannor posted:

You don't need to pump up the importance score of items you build, unless you're building more than one kind. 100% of your capacity will be used when you produce something, the importance score is just for when you build several items simultaneously, and want one particular thing finished first.

I was thinking that making the importance of every item 100 doesn't make a lot of sense. You should just leave 80 as the norm, since all that matters is that they're equal. And that way if you do want to rush a build, you can move that one to 100 and won't have to drop every other item down.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Is there any particular reason you aren't just sitting back on your main game to let those additional events trigger, like enemy buildups to avoid or things that are easier later because you went so fast? Or is it just a matter of 'this war machine only goes at ludicrous speed'?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Strategic Sage posted:

I can't wait to hear your explanation for what that fleet does ... or should I say doesn't do ... in the next episode.

"Commander, are we going to move in and attack the marauding human fleet?"

"Not until we get new orders from Command."

"Sir, Command got completely wiped out by a barrage of tank and rocket fire."

"Then I guess you'd better get comfortable. :smug:"

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
My guess for the patrol fleet:

"Admiral, our worlds are lost to the humans! We are the last of the Garthog military! What do we do?"

"Why, who are these 'Garthog' you speak of? We the noble 'Harthog', and we want nothing but peace with the humans."

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm curious. I assume that the aliens have to colonize planets using ships the same way you do. If that's the case, can you 'guard' planets you want to colonize with a single destroyer with a radar or something, and use it to chase away any colony ships like you do with fleets?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Strategic Sage posted:

Possibly, but it seems to me a simple 'do you have any flagships left' check would have solved that.

Seems likely to me that it's just a matter of the AI being programmed to 'do space battle', 'do ground battle', and then 'return to nearest military factory to repair'. Probably just a combo of they didn't think about a player sending a lot of little tarpits around to slow down enemy attacks, and how much more difficult it would have been to program an AI that reevaluated its fleet strength after every battle to decide when it needed to return and reinforce.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Strategic Sage posted:

I sort of look at that differently. The other races weren't attacking us early on (for gameplay purposes obviously, but still). I rather see the aliens attacks and surrender demands as a rational response to the Empire's power spike, ending a 30-year-war with the Garthogs in weeks and then expanding like mad into the rest of the galaxy. Absent meaningful diplomatic contact during that period, what would they logically think? They'd be naturally concerned about a return to the iron fist of the Old Empire.

That still explains the lack of diplomatic channels, though. Absent any unifying threat, these various groups had no reason to entertain diplomacy with the sunseting empire that most, if not all viewed as the old oppressors. Its mostly likely that the Empire just gave up on diplomacy when the response they kept getting was 'you are a dying beast and we'd rather feed on your carcass.'

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm curious. Since the Dargs strategy seems to be 'maxed out fleets of high-tech units', are you going beat them in the tech curve and actually get an advantage against them at some point, or is fighting them always going to be a matter of cheesing their fleets or simply throwing your maxed out fleets at their maxed out fleets and beating them by out-producing them?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Strategic Sage posted:

Every ship for themselves. That's another strike against late-game fighters, because they just are what they are. Can't boost their ECM, so they're a good target, and then the explosion damages nearby larger ships, and .... yeah. Might as well paint a bullseye.

Of course, that cuts both ways. I was wondering if Multihead Missiles were even worth using with the risk ECM has, but if you're able to strategically target enemies with weaker ECM in the middle of formations to increase your hit chance, that actually is kind of neat.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know, given that your colonies are more profitable than alien colonies, at the point that one colony was at, wouldn't it have been better to starve it out and rebuild it with a new colony ship, rather than try and drag it back?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Do you plan to ever actually have a major fleet battle? If not, it might be neat just to do a non-canon one to show off what the game expected gameplay at this stage to be like.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Why do you keep rocket sleds out of battle with Fortresses? High against against immobile targets seems like what they're made for. Also I've noticed that it seems like the enemy rocket sleds can fire from way further away than you. Do yours just suck compared to the AI's, or is there some trick to making them fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I love the big irony of all this, how the narrative was about this superior AI finding a method to achieve victory where a human could not. However the reality of your playthough was a human finding a bunch of bugs and exploits in the AI to achieve victory.