Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'd say that Kelly is an enlisted to officer career path guy, rather.

I know this game has a sequel, but I don't know much about that, or any sequels, until Nexus: The Pluto Incident (ignore Jupiter, there's nothing there) which was apparently planned as a sequel for this, or so I heard. Regardless, it's an interesting game with a lot of uncommon interesting elements to it, and even a little bit of interesting SF thrown in although it's not really exploited for what it could be worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Nexus makes perfect sense as the sequel engine turned into something else, it's the showy tactical combat mode made into a complete game.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Distant Worlds isn't that rough, just let the automation slide you into the game.

Also, Distant World 2 got announced.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I wonder how ahead of the game time curve you are, really.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The ground combat in this game seems like it's deliberately designed to inflict harm on the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, that probably wasn't entirely as the devs intended, but you did it.

In sword of the stars, it's fairly common to bypass fleets entirely to attack worlds. You just have to actually clean up the fleets later, because neither AI nor players will just leave them idling in the rear end end of space.

To celebrate your liberation from placing tanks and moving them to encircle fortresses, I'm going to inflict a puzzle 4X game upon you. It's really a 3X but who cares?