Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This game is quite fun, and also incredibly ambitious for when it was made.

I look forward to seeing if your way of squeezing everything you can out of the early game is the same as mine. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I played the Java remake, not the original game, but it's almost identical to the original as far as the actual gameplay goes (or so I've been told).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Apparently, the galaxy stuff doesn't actually start happening until your second promotion, at least in the original, though I played under the assumption that it happens from the start in the remake. I rushed the early game by demolishing stuff to supercharge my economy, and rushing the missions, but I actually would have been better off stalling the missions as much as possible (while still supercharging my economy). It also turns out that having way too much housing can also slow down your growth, though I don't know the exact math for it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

OutofSight posted:

Woah.
Didn't they make another space strategy called "Haegemonia" later? That would explain why somehow the ambitious mechanics feel ...familiar despite never having played this game.
Maybe Haegemonia did not have the same scope, but they tried some neat stuff with the hero skills, tech system and space spies.

Yup! My favorite sci-fi strategy game even after all these years, shame about the instability on modern systems.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We're returning from a GLORIOUS VICTORY against the Garthogs. In unrelated news, our everything is on fire and there's a Garthog fleet in pursuit, go deal with them and don't ask stupid questions.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Complications posted:

As an occasional space trader I can confirm that this is my first thought when I discover that a planet has dropped out of interstellar trading due to... unfortunate events.

Starsector?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
100 makes it easier to do quick math, at least.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The ground combat in this game get incredibly dull as you get closer to the endgame, grinding out the same battle over and over and over again on different planets.

Another reason to blitz.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I remember using fighters moving up and down in front of the enemy planets as a distraction that would ideally avoid getting hit and only really taking damage on my fleet from stray shots, but I forgot if that only worked with the ground based planetary defenses or with the starbases too.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The fun begins now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Considering that the great AI overlord's first commands as de facto supreme commander of Humanity were "disarm the fleet", "disband the military" and "build more police stations on Earth", I think certain people are starting to poo poo their pants a bit too late. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

inscrutable horse posted:

Just don't lose your Death Star analog, and accidentally commit genocide.

Ah, the "whoopsie" incident.

IIRC it was accidentally placed in a scouting fleet send to an enemy planet, and, well, whoopsie.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Once you start building a fleet, it'll probably be worth it to take over the hostile human nation. The population is compatable with your infrastructure, and will pay for itself. And as a bonus, one less headache for you.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The more I see you play this game, the more I want to see you tackle Haegemonia: Legions of Iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
When I played the game, I rushed the missions a lot, but not as much as Strategic Sage, and the Dargslan had expanded enough that fighting them was a horrible grind that took forever.

If you spend too much time in the middle ranks you are 1) completely hosed 2) completely hosed and 3) completely hosed