Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
That population loss after every invasion is some bullshit.

It is a flat rate or does it scale with invasion size and damage caused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Enjoying this one so far so great to see you picking it back up.

Have memories of playing the game when I was younger, getting into a stalemate situation in the endgame and eventually giving up.

Good to watch it being played strategically and by someone who knows the mechanics.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
You planned your research and production well. Look forward to the Garthog blitzkrieg next episode after the build-up.

Can see their fleet moving between their worlds. Would they ever move to attack your planets, and is a loss still a game over at Commander rank?

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
You're leaving that roaming Garthog fleet alone, which makes sense, but interested in what it actually does.

Is destroying it linked to a trigger? What is the fleet composition?

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Looks like the need for micro is diminishing and your tactics are evolving.

Way you threw those destroyers 1s in as space base bullet shields seemed unthinkable in the last rank where you were carefully levelling up the crews. Same with the tanks.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey

maninthesuit posted:

And drat, all of Dante's predecessors must be feeling pretty bad right now. At war for over 30 years, with nothing to show for it. Dante? Pretty much dismantled the Garthog empire in little more than a week.
I'm not even joking.
Part 14 (The invasion begins) started at 3427, October 16, 19:50pm.
Part 17 (Garthog Climax) ends at 3427, October 26, 6:10am.

What I'm saying is that this speed-run just got a whole lot more hilarious now that I've looked at the clock for once.

The way time passes is really odd. Probably worked for the first rank but as the game grows in scale the way time passes stops making sense.

Last week: "Mortal enemy who just invaded my planet - RESIST RESIST RESIST. No taxes." :black101:
Week later: "Eh suppose they're not so bad." :shrug:

Same with research and production timescales. Industrial capability to turn out a fleet of flagships in a week, but still struggling on with a war for 30 years.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Does a higher diplomacy rating with a race stop them sending fleets towards your colonies?

If so, what happens to fleets en-route?

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Thanks for cutting out most of the grind!

The financial side was interesting. Do you consider the payback time for building colony improvements or even for the colony ship?

Have some tiny tax revenues compared to more established colonies.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
The "Pro" experience level in the info box tipped me off, but the unarmed destroyer 1 run off by a colony ship was the Excalibur, Dante's very first command.

Expect the elite crew are very bitter about it after being the scourge of pirates and Garthogs.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
I'm shocked that they don't let you select multiple ships and perform same action at once. The bombing runs look so tedious.

Thoroughly enjoying the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
I remember giving up on trying to finish this game because got stuck in a war of attrition that involved trading planets and fleets with the Dargslan, so was looking forward to seeing the ending.

Andddd it's massively underwhelming. Probably because they didn't expect many people to actually grind through to the end.

Well done SS!