Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Izzhov posted:

I quite like this rubric. But to challenge it: it makes me think of the example of people who are addicted to substances. When someone is addicted, depending on what the substance is, the question of, "Can you choose to not do it instead?" becomes fraught. The severity of the addiction determines how difficult it is for an addict to choose not to continue using. How difficult must making a choice become before it ceases to be a choice?

If you want to do something but can't bring it to happen, doesn't that speak more to the difficulty of the action than to whether or not you chose to try to enact it? If you encase a person in a steel coffin where they can't move, can you really say they don't have free will just because they can't choose to escape? Really, they can "choose" to, but the means of making that choice a reality may be beyond them.

For what it's worth, I think that people have the tendency to behave on auto-pilot, but have the capacity to consciously take control of their decision-making processes. This is one of the purposes of mindfulness meditation and various Buddhist practices. I think such capacities can be compromised (through injury/illness/addiction/etc) but that they do exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU