Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Please, Doom Slayer is my dad's name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

biosterous posted:

imo Doomguy is his name and "The Doom Slayer" is his title

Mr Doomguy The Doom Slayer

Mr. Doom "the Doom Marine" Guy, The Doomslayer esquire

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Mr. Doom "the Doom Marine" Guy, The Doomslayer esquire
In Doom's version of the future, a surname-first naming convention has become dominant all over earth; his name is Guy Doom, and 'Slayer' is his nickname.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Another cuddly old favorite returns as we ourselves return to Mars

azren
Feb 14, 2011

biosterous posted:

imo Doomguy is his name and "The Doom Slayer" is his title

Mr Doomguy The Doom Slayer

I can accept this.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Turret Mode on the Chaingun is amazing with the incredibly broken rune combo. Best weapon in the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Gnoman posted:

Turret Mode on the Chaingun is amazing with the incredibly broken rune combo. Best weapon in the game.

Nah, the grenade launcher and rapid fire missiles are more fun

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

JigglyJacob posted:

[Part 7 - Pinky and the Maimed]

Baron of Hell II
UAC REPORT FILE 11S5LW2I

It is clear that Barons are ferocious fighters with a bloodlust unparalleled by any other demon. Barons, larger and faster than their lesser brothers, also possess the ability to generate Hell-energy fireballs which can be hurled at a target. In the doomed Project Lazarus Manned Expedition (MTC 2145/128) it is believed that most of the explorers were set upon by Barons of Hell, though the details are unclear.

Tablets, retrieved from the Great Steppe in the UAC Automated Survey of 2143, suggest that the Barons of Hell are the current Royal Guard of the unknown dark lord of the fourth age. While the nature of this entity is unknown, it must be presumed that as the Royal Guard's power has significantly increased, so too has the power of their master.

Argent Facility
Exterior Opportunities

At times, Tier 1 and Tier 2 advocates will be asked to perform dangerous duties that include exterior work. This work may be put before you as punishment for not meeting your quota, or because you are the best person to complete the job. In either case, new advocates should approach the work with the same focus and commitment as any other task. Should you experience any interdimensional encounters, you are advised to report the event to a Tier 3 Lazarus Project scientist or your Departmental Enforcer. You are advised to not approach any non-human entities without executive supervision.

Pinky I
UAC REPORT FILE ZJC94UBY

These demonic animals are unnamed by those in Hell. They were colloquially named Pinkies, due to their unusual skin pigmentation, when first discovered by the Lazarus Project's Tethering Operation (MTC 2146/351). Their aggressive nature against the living is well documented.

Hologram
This ancient piece of tech is as effective today as it was when first invented in the early 21st century. The Holocaster discharges an invisible cloud of ionized Argon, which a camera then uses to projects an image through. The refracted light creates a "holographic" effect above the device. The decoy image has a broad color spectrum, and can be quite convincing. The device was first theorized by popular culture media of the late 20th century.

Argent Facility
The surface of Mars is an inhospitable environment, despite the breathable atmosphere created by the N2/02 pumping stations. Sand storms regularly make working outside impractical and constant maintenance is necessary to keep the facility fully operational. During adverse weather conditions, exterior work is limited to essential activities such as Argent Tower feed control, interdepartmental transport, cargo handling, emergency access, and level 2 hazard events (such as Argent meltdowns or bio-epidemics). Untethered crossdimensional activity is a frequent occurrence outside of the base, so "buddying-up" is advised for all workers when journeying onto the surface.

Samuel Hayden III
UAC REPORT FILE D1171867

After his rebirth, Samuel was appointed as Project Director of the Argent Facility. It was deemed too bizarre to have the world's first Cyborg leading the most powerful corporation in the Solar System.

Mechanoid Samuel Hayden proved to be an even more impressive figure than his mortal self. Under his leadership, Argent technology exploded. The work achieved at the Argent Facility destroyed the boundaries of our understanding of physics. As Samuel himself said "We rewrote the book and called it Argent".

After the unveiling of the Global Energy Distribution Matrix, it was clear who was really in control of the UAC. Samuel Hayden's triumphant return to power was complete. In a stunning display of bravado and conceit, when the GEDM was finally switched on Samuel Hayden was live streamed from in front of the Argent Tower, pulling a massive 12-foot power lever to dispatch the first Argent package to earth. This sent a clear message to the people of the known Solar System: there is only one "man" that can turn on the power.

Mancubus III
UAC REPORT FILE BLOJJ483

Their bizarre physiology can also be their undoing. The putrid skin covering their soft belly is easily pierced. When exposed, their organs will explode violently, showering a sizeable area with their revolting (and toxic) innards.

Cacodemon II
UAC REPORT FILE 01152007

When a Cacodemon senses the presence of the living, it will hunt them relentlessly until it gets close enough to gnaw on them using an impressive set of mandibles. To aid the hunt, the Cacodemon has a psychoactive narcotic bile which it spews at range. On contact, this bile inhibits the perception of the target and compromises movement. The effects wear off after a few moments, which is often enough time for the lumbering beast to get within bite range.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, the grenade launcher and rapid fire missiles are more fun

I'm a simple man.

Give me a good double barreled shotgun, and I'm content.

And Doom's shotgun?

Pretty good.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Sam's a Bot From Guy himself.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

JigglyJacob posted:

[Part 8 - Bickering Professionals]

Advanced Research Complex
Construction of the Advanced Research Complex was completed in MTC 2136. This vast state-of-the-art research, design and production center uses cutting-edge technology and fabrication techniques to prototype everything from robotics to weaponry to sub-space communication systems. The building security, life support and day to day operations are almost entirely managed by VEGA, the Argent Facility's in-house Artificial Intelligence mainframe. Due to the highly sensitive nature of the research being conducted at the ARC, the entire superstructure is essentially a Faraday cage to prevent any unauthorized communication beyond its walls.

The ARC is the birthplace of several breakthrough study fields, including BFG development, teleporation research and cybernetic augmentation. This bastion of advanced thought attracts the brightest minds in the scientific community, and is considered humanity's "brain-trust".

Advanced Research Complex
Tier 3 Manifest

Welcome, Tier 3 advocates. You have elevated yourself to the next level of thinking. Your previous notions have been cleansed by science, and you see things now as they truly are. The true power of Argent Energy, under the stewardship of the UAC, will drive us into the next age of mankind. No more secrets, no more hiding. Your journey towards the final Tier begins now.

Our understanding of pandimensional existence grows each day. As we begin to realize the true power that flows from Hell, we are changed into something much greater than we ever though possible. Your life as a Tier 3 advocate is more than just the work you perform. Spiritual understanding of who we are and what we are meant to become grows with each artifact you catalogue, each weapon you prototype, and each heretic you convert. The FEAR of Hell is seen for what it really is: False Emotions Appearing Real.

You have opened your mind.

Samuel Hayden II (Posted Samuel Hayden III earlier by mistake. Here's II)
UAC REPORT FILE T989XB08

Before Samuel Hayden "died", he completed detailed instructions and designs for a new body: a bionic automaton with a plasmatronic processing core (a biomechanical brain). Samuel instructed that his frontal and temporal lobes were to remain intact, but the functions of his parietal and occipital lobes were to be bypassed and networked to the plasmatronic core. Samuel's personality, memories, reasoning and comprehension would be carried over to his new framework, but his perception and calculation would become supercharged. Powered by Argent Caches (and later by an Argent Accumulator), the cybernetic transference was a success. Samuel returned, bigger, stronger, and more formidable than before in a 3-meter-tall mechanoid body. When his decision to choose such a mammoth mechanical physique was questioned, Samuel responded "Dedicating the future of mankind is dangerous work. You never know when we may need a hero."

Stem cells and neural conditioning agents keep his organic matter (specifically, his brain) constantly rejuvenating. He has "existed" for over 130 years now, and it is presumed his lifespan will be indefinite.

It is said that his body has long since passed but his soul will live on forever.

Cyber-Mancubus I
UAC REPORT FILE K2V693Z5

The Mancubus strain of demon has long been a subject of fascination among Lazarus Project scientists. Eager to understand the biology of these creatures, a team of biogeneticists (led by Dr. Pierce herself) was formed to research and manipulate the behavior and effect of the creatures.

Chaingun
Gatling Rotator

This 3rd party modification overrides the crucible release safety, allowing the weapon to fire immediately without waiting for maximum rotation. This action, while allowing for instant use, does prolong the time it takes to reach full speed. This modification is unapproved by the UAC.

BFG-9000
BFG II

The theoretical design for the BFG-9000 was first put forward by the R&D department in the Advanced Research Complex, and the concept was later given its own funding program. The BFG Division was formed to develop a working design. Several prototype weapons have since been made. The prototypes never went into full production due to numerous testing accidents and the deadly radiation spikes produced. Previous versions of the weapon had slightly different energy patterns to the current generation. Some released solitary Argent spheres that unleash a deadly wave upon impact, others formed an Argent laser that cuts through anything in its path. The current prototype, the BFG-9000, creates Argent streams that seek out targets and boils them alive.

BFG-9000
BFG III

Advocates!

Witness the BFG-9000. What greater triumph for the glory of the Ascension could there be than an entirely new type of weapon, born not only of traditional UAC technology, but by your faith and dedication to the cause? This is what we strive for - an understanding beyond traditional science, unrestrained by the repressive thinking of dimensionally bound contemplation. Only through our use of SEFT can the power of such a mighty weapon be realized. Such a weapon requires not only science, but BELIEF.

While access to the BFG-9000 is strictly limited to Tier 3 advocates, you are encouraged to envision the day you might get to see the magnificence of its design, and if you are luckier still, experience the invigorating touch of its majestic form of Argent Energy.

BFG-9000
BFG I

When correctly charged, ionized, and compressed, deadly packets of Argent Energy can be released in a controlled manner at a velocity and potential energy quota far exceeding conventional weapons. The weaponization of Argent Energy led to the development and mass production of the Plasma Rifle, but the UAC realized they were capable of much more.

The BFG-9000 is the culmination of those efforts. Only one prototype of the final weapon exists, and it is housed deep within the ARC in the BFG Division. This weapon delivers streams of supercharged Argent Energy to multiple targets, and is to some extent self-guiding. The streams will seek any cache of Argent it can find - usually demons (or human test subjects that have had Argent beacons surgically implanted). When the streams find their target, they released all of their stored energy in a fraction of second, delivering an electrical shock that instantly boils the blood and fatty tissue of the recipient. Spontaneous explosion of the subject often follows.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

These two Rune challenes were easy, but they're also probably the most useless Runes in the entire game, so it makes sense.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ThornBrain posted:

The first line hit me like a kick in the face
I feel incredibly called out by this episode. It's very rude. :colbert:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We recorded this two weeks ago when I was a quarter asleep, so I can't remember for the life of me why Jacob titled this part that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

quote:

The fight itself is not too bad. It's not super easy. But He-he's got a number of attacks. You just gotta keep shootin' him. He's always vulnerable to damage.

So, to defeat the Cyberdemon, you shoot him until he dies?

On quad-damage, I wasted a bunch of them when I first played because I was expecting a Baron Of Hell to show up. The charge shot on the Gauss Cannon will one-shot a Baron with a Quad-Damage headshot, and this is extremely satisfying.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Have a helly, jelly Christmas as we trod over gigantic corpses

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Want to Glory Kill a Titan please.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've heard that this game is supposed to take the previous games as canon, so I assume the titan is meant to be the Icon of Sin? But then I've also heard that the Doomslayer is supposed to be part of some ancient warrior race or something? That sounds dumb. Him just being some guy who turned out to be amazingly good at killing demons is a much better story.

I took the lore dumps in this game as being the demons mythologizing this human who walked into hell and murdered his way through it and out the other side, but I haven't played Eternal (or even actually finished this game), so I don't know what it has to say about any of that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Most of the stuff you mention is in Eternal, yeah.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Wasn't Doomde's original motivation that his friends were killed by demons while he was playing poker with them?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tiggum posted:

I've heard that this game is supposed to take the previous games as canon, so I assume the titan is meant to be the Icon of Sin? But then I've also heard that the Doomslayer is supposed to be part of some ancient warrior race or something? That sounds dumb. Him just being some guy who turned out to be amazingly good at killing demons is a much better story.

I took the lore dumps in this game as being the demons mythologizing this human who walked into hell and murdered his way through it and out the other side, but I haven't played Eternal (or even actually finished this game), so I don't know what it has to say about any of that.

The icon of sin was a titan, iirc the strongest of them.
so yeah hell is just littered with the giant corpses left behind by doomboy countless ages ago

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

White Coke posted:

Wasn't Doomde's original motivation that his friends were killed by demons while he was playing poker with them?
------------------------------------------------------------
THE STORY SO FAR
You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in
combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted
a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon
civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl
Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the
Union Aerospace Corporation.

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive
waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and
Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day
consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in
the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest
supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and
Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including
research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have
been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos,
throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out
the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown
dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them
have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form
of insanity--babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that
breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-
body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to
the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports
state that the research is suffering a small set-back, but
everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from
Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something
fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer
systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon
afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then,
attempts to establish contact with either moon have been
unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty
million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were
ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest
of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio
picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling
orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence.
Seems your buddies are dead.

It's Up To You
Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off
the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have
been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a
pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma
rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your
way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of
pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the
landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial
firepower somewhere within the station.

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear
animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors.
They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

THE STORY SO FAR
Huh, I never actually read the backstory in its original version. Better writing than I expected, to be quite honest.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The icon of sin was a titan, iirc the strongest of them.
Well if that's true, the titans can't have amounted to much :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

THE STORY SO FAR

*skips past everything because lol story in a DOOM game :v:

Being serious, I could've swore the reason Doomguy swore unending bloody vengeance against demonkind was because they killed his pet rabbit, Daisy. That and him being in Hell and somehow picking up demonic radiation having been at it in Hell for like centuries and getting those powers. The Glory Kills, the haste, berserk, etc.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Being serious, I could've swore the reason Doomguy swore unending bloody vengeance against demonkind was because they killed his pet rabbit, Daisy.
He only found out that his rabbit was dead when he returned from hell after the first Doom; in fact, Daisy was only mentioned in the end screen of Thy Flesh Consumed.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

JigglyJacob posted:

[Part 9 - The Unholy Diaper]

Siphon Grenade
The Siphon Grenade was designed to work with the Doom Marine's Praetor suit - specifically to make use of the Argent receptors found in the gloves and chest plates.

The grenade has 3 stages. When primed, the grenade releases a positively charged particle field around itself and the operator's hand. Then, when the grenade is released and explodes it releases a negatively charged particle field, over a distance of a few meters. The negatively charged particles attract Argent plasma from any demon caught in the radius, tearing the plasma from their cells. Finally, the positively charged Praetor suit then attracts the negatively charged Argent cloud, and gathers the plasma. This siphons energy back into the suit, partially healing the Doom Marine.

Lazarus Labs
An Important Message

Fellow disciple, this message has been sent to you in recognition of your service to the Lazarus Project. I am Olivia Pierce. You have been granted the highest level of clearance we allow at the Lazarus Project, and as such you are expected to partake in all rituals, sacrifices and vivisection programs (both demon and human) as requested - whether as a practitioner of the dark arts or as a patient of a cleansing. As we work tirelessly to open the gates to Hell, remember our mantra: "The science will cleanse us."

Our recent expedition to the Great Steppe resulted in the retrieval of new tablets which will help us further decode the Helix Stone. I must reiterate again the importance of fully decoding this stone. The scriptures tell us that it holds the key to both realizing our future and destroying us - so we must know it before the enemy. The enemy will come and we must be ready. While we are decoding the latest artifacts and relics, there will be no rest, no leave and no sleep. We must succeed. Our lives mean nothing. Opening the gate is everything.

Elite Guards
Decoded Entry 002

UAC employees are advised to comply with any orders received from an Elite Guard. Their jurisdiction is absolute, answering only to the highest level executives of the UAC. If an Elite Guard kindly requests that you accompany them to the Lazarus Labs, you will be going to the Lazarus Labs.

With such powerful capabilities in each Elite Guard, it was deemed necessary to implant a kill chip in each uniform so that they might also be controlled should an uprising occur among their ranks. The kill chip responds to a Lazarus Wave signature that can only be broadcast by Samuel Hayden or Olivia Pierce.

Plasma Rifle
Heat Blast

A copper crucible attached to the focusing lens of the Plasma Rifle absorbs residual thermal energy from the weapon and can discharge it instantly by transferring the heat to a borosilicate diffusion chamber. This creates a heat wave from the end of the weapon that causes localized damage and sometimes creates a pressure wave that will knock back targets. The crucible recharges with normal use of the weapon. While the operator of the weapon is partially shielded from the charge, it is recommended that a thermal protection uniform (such as the X suit prototypes) be worn while operating this modification.

Cyberdemon
Specimen CD587-1
UAC REPORT FILE XCZOUYYZ

The Corrax tablets discovered during the UAC Automated Survey of 2143 mention an ancient battle in the Titan's Realm during the third age. An expedition to the plains recovered several relics including the petrified remains of a massive shadow lord believed to be an ancient Baalgar demon. Researchers in the Lazarus Labs began work on piecing the creature back together. At first the project mandate was to construct an educational and inspirational exhibit. However, the focus quickly shifted when an attempt to meld the petrified tissue uncovered that exposure to small doses of plasmatic Argent Energy would reanimate the relic. The potential of creating living, growing tissue from the relic and the lure of an ultimate battle demon was too enticing to - pass up. The project team quickly shifted direction and began work on melding the ancient remains with high tech weaponry.

Olivia Pierce II
UAC REPORT FILE UQ3PJQEP

Samuel saw Olivia as a protege. He sponsored her during her formal graduation, and was the driving force behind her promotion to the Global Science Council. Olivia made her fortune as one of the founders of the NanoStruct Aerospace & Defense Systems, in part thanks to a sizeable donation from Samuel. Olivia's career blossomed, and Samuel eventually offered her the freedom to design and run her own cutting edge laboratory by joining the UAC. Olivia refused, citing that she had no interest in "the energy business."

When Olivia did finally leave NanoStruct it came as a shock to the scientific community. She relinquished a position of sizeable power and control to work at an isolated outpost 140 million miles from earth. A former colleague of Olivia's at NanoStruct stated that Samuel sent her an artifact recovered near the Argent Fracture, after which she became obsessed with joining the UAC. A few weeks later, she accepted the offer and became the leader of the Lazarus Project, working directly under Samuel Hayden.

Cyberdemon
Specimen CD587-2
UAC REPORT FILE RRNOR75J

During the Cyberdemon Reanimation Project, the beast was kept alive by controlling the amount of plasmatic Argent Energy it retrieved. This kept the beast in an effectively "brain-dead" state while additional components were cybernetically implanted. A neural pathway was created between the creature's brain and the Argent Accumulator, allowing the creature to administer Argent power to any part of its body as needed. In hindsight, this neural pathway was a mistake as once the pathway was activated the dormant beast immediately administered an Argent surge to the medulla oblongata, which allowed it to restore motor function. Once active, the circulatory system quickly restored and the beast achieved full motor function within a few minutes. It is only through the bravery of Follower Jacobson that the beast was contained. Follower Jacobson willingly gave his own life as bait when he lured the giant Cyberdemon into holding pen 6, where it could be contained. Unfortunately, there was no way to retrieve Jacobson once the doors has been bolted, and he was sacrificed.

A report following the incident suggested that this act was not instinct by the Cyberdemon, but rather a suggestion of a greater intelligence governing the will of any creature demon borne - a "mastermind" of sorts. Research on this theory continues.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

JigglyJacob posted:

[Part 10 - Titanic]

Slayer's Testament IV
UAC REPORT FILE I3S5A9XB

The age of his reckoning was uncounted. The scribes carved his name deep in the tablets of Hell across eons, and each battle etched terror in the hearts of the demons. They knew he would come, as he always had, as he always will, to feast on the blood of the wicked. For he alone could draw strength from his fallen foes, and ever his power grew, swift and unrelenting.

Gauss Cannon
Precision Bolt

A standard telescopic sight can be placed on the Gauss Cannon, allowing for even greater accuracy at long ranges with this precise weapon. While using the scope, the operator can accumulate additional magnetic charge within the launch chamber, which when released will fire the flechettes at an even greater speed. When fully charged, a functional flechette is almost unstoppable, and will pass through multiple targets.

Titan's Realm
After the disastrous Project Lazarus Manned Expedition (MTC 2145/128), it was decided to avoid Kadingir Sanctum until the environment was more conductive to human exploration. The second Project Lazarus Manned Expedition (MTC 2148/177) was changed to a new location - an area referred to as "the Great Steppe". The Corrax tablets describe this area in detail:

"Through the Titan's Realm and down, down to the Great Steppe where the trophies of victory are kept through the ages. Their false idols banished to a wasteland. Their towers fallen, their foundations ground to dust, their hallowed halls kept empty as cruel reminders that civilizations shall fall before the ascension of the great ones."

Pinky II
UAC REPORT FILE YX7348LC

Pinkies will charge once their prey is detected, using a cortical bone plate that covers their face as a battering ram. They accelerate quickly but have limited control when charging. Their inability to stop quickly or turn makes them vulnerable to charging over ledges or into hard surfaces, stunning them. At close range, the Pinky has a significant bite which it will use to fend off attackers. They have limited visual perception and rely primarily on pheromone detection to locate enemies. The thinner skin on their flanks does not offer as much protection and should be considered a point of weakness.

Spectre
UAC REPORT FILE CLWTHI1R

The Spectre is the unfortunate result of a misguided attempt to genetically modify the Pinky. Several Pinkies were gathered during the first Lazarus Project's Tethering Operation (MTC 2146/351). Four of the captured beasts were vivisected. While three of these experiments resulted in the death of the subjects, one resulted in a Pinky with limited psionic abilities. In an attempt to increase its ocular capacity, the optic nerve of a Cacodemon was transplanted into the Pinky. After the operation, the animal was returned to its enclosure to recover. It is believed that the beast was accidentally released from its pen when its keeper, thinking the invisible Spectre had escaped, opened the gate. Several months after the first Spectre went missing, the second Tethering Operation (MTC 2147/016) captured two fertile specimens. Presumably, the original Spectre wandered into the Lazarus Wave testing facility and was teleported back to Hell by a Summoner. It is unknown how the Spectre managed to breed, but the psionic trait has carried to the offspring.

Besides psionic invisiblity, there are no known difference between the Pinky and Spectre.

Slayer's Testament V
UAC REPORT FILE ZPHVM41A

None could stand before the horde but the Doom Slayer. Despair spread before him like a plague, striking fear into the shadow-dwellers, driving them to deeper and darker pits. But from the depths of the abyss rose The Great One, a champion mightier than all who had come before. The Titan, of immeasurable power and ferocity. He strode upon the plain and faced the Doom Slayer, and a mighty battle was fought on the desolate plains. The Titan fought with the fury of the countless that had fallen at the Doom Slayer's hand, but there fell the Titan, and in his defeat the shadow horde were routed.

Olivia Pierce III
UAC REPORT FILE JT6TG4XG

Before joining the UAC, Olivia was open to discussion about her endeavors and beliefs. She was known to have been an avid world traveler, served a 2-year tour of duty with the Global Science Council, and even spent time serving as a missionary in South America - which she noted was a "spiritual but frivolous pilgrimage".

Since moving to Mars she has become a recluse, cutting off friends and family to focus on her secretive work on the Lazarus Project. She is rarely seen outside of the lab and no longer attends board meetings or any UAC press events. Past colleagues of Olivia's have noted that this behavior may just mean that she has something spectacular to reveal in the near future.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I looked up Hitler vs Lovecraft and Torp wasn't wrong, it's harder than it should be
http://www.beesgo.biz/horp.html

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I got 11 out of 14 points. Something that makes the game easier is knowing that Lovecraft was an atheist so any of the quotes mentioning God in a positive way are from Hitler.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Get that chest snake out of me, John Ro-

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And now the talk about Doomslayer just being misunderstood has made me think about Chainsaw Man again.

A manga where the most feared killer in Hell mostly just wants hugs.

His simple attempt to go on a date had a double digit bodycount.

Maybe Doomslayer was just trying to get a burger or something, and all the carnage is just a consequence of Hell's poor customer service.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
"Two, three, many Icons of Sin."

Here's some demons of various ranks. No archdukes but some marquises and even presidents.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC the Lords of the Nine Hells in D&D are Archdukes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The comment about the one enemy in this episode being generic reminded me of my only major complaint about this game, and it's that all the enemies (and environments) look pretty similar. One of my favourite thing about the original Doom is how easy it is to tell, even from a brief glimpse at a great distance, exactly what type of enemy you're looking at - with the exception of the Troopers and Sergeants, which are still easier to tell apart than some of the enemies in this game. And there's blue and red and green and yellow all over the place. I'll take colourful over "realistic" any day.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its less to do with the colors and more to do with contrast.
These enemies can blend into the background, blurring their silhouette, and motion blur can further blur that. They dont *need* to be brightly colored, but they need to stand out from the environments.

My goto example for good silhouetting is Team Fortress 2 because there really hasnt been a FPS since thats done it so well.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

JigglyJacob posted:

[Part 11 - Rock and Droll]

Cyber-Mancubus II
UAC REPORT FILE D070AKZU

The work of Dr. Pierce and her biogeneticists proved successful and several Cybernetic Mancubi are currently held in captivity within the Lazarus Project laboratories. They are held under the strictest UAC security protocols, so there is no chance of an escape [citation needed].

Slayer's Testament VI
UAC REPORT FILE WMHVVFJ

And in his terrible rancor between worlds and through time, the Hell Walker found the wretch who shall not be named, but in his heresy was loyal to his evil cause. The wretch adorned the Doom Slayer in a mighty armor, wrought in the forges of Hell, impenetrable and unyielding. With sword and shield of adamantine strength, the Doom Slayer set to banishing all that were left unbroken by his savagery to the void.

The Necropolis
When the expedition of 2148 reached the Great Steppe, massive structures were found - unlike any other edifices yet seen in Hell. It is believed that these structures were native to this area, absorbed into Hell when the civilization was conquered. The construction bears resemblance to many known earthly architectural movements, and several unknown (potentially extra-terrestrial) designs. Most of the structures appear to be religious or spiritual design, and have been corrupted to pay homage to the dark magic of Hell.

Although the expedition ended in a total loss of human life, it was considered a resounding success not only for the vast amount of data recovered by the Scout-Bots, but also for returning the petrified remains of a massive shadow lord believed to be an ancient Baalgar demon.

The presence of such high ranking demons in The Necropolis suggests that the area holds some item of extreme importance (or vulnerability) to the demons. Current research suggests this may be the lost artifact known as the Crucible. However, no further expeditions to this area have been planned under explicit instruction from Olivia Pierce.

Slayer's Testament VII
UAC REPORT FILE JSLR7ESL

Yet as the mighty Titan fell and dread engulfed the armies of Doom, the demon priests of the Blood Temples laid a trap to capture this scourge of Hell. Insatiable, even by the vanquishing of the Great One, the Hell Walker sought prey in the tombs of the Blood Keep. And blinded by his fervor, the lure drew him in. The priests brought down the temple upon the Doom Slayer, and in his defeat entombed him in the cursed sarcophagus. The mark of the Doom Slayer was burned upon his crypt, a warning to all of Hell that the terror within must never be freed. There he lies still, and ever more, in silent suffering.

Rocket Launcher
Remote Detonation

This simple modification applies a nano-fiber membrane to the fuse of the projectile upon leaving the firing chamber. This membrane contains a graphite weave laced with low density explosive, allowing the operator to override the impact fuse and detonate the explosive charge within the projectile at any time after launch. Care must be used when employing this modification, as there is no safety system present to prevent self-harm.

Hell Guards
UAC REPORT FILE SHT036U3

The borderlands between Titan's Realm and the Great Steppe is home to one of the most ferocious demons yet found - the (biomech) Hell Guard. While there has been no direct human contact with this beast, it was discovered by Scout-Bots during the second Project Lazarus Tethering Operation (MTC 2147/016). Confronting this demon signaled the end of the expedition, but the Scout-Bots did manage to send data to the relay beacons before they were destroyed.

A detailed study of the few video frames that were captured before the equipment was destroyed revealed that the Hell Guard is actually a parasite housed within a bone and keratin exoskeleton. The parasite, imbued with enormous quantities of Hell energy, provides power to the Hell Guard and controls its actions entirely. Before entering the exoskeleton, the Hell Guard exoskeleton is a lifeless husk. Attempts to retrieve the parasite alone have proved fruitless as the uncoupled demon is too weak to survive passage between dimensions. Once coupled however, the demon presents a daunting and relentless enemy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And Doom never had a generic melee enemy that could turn invincible again.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

But aren't we all Vega?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Looking at the Orders of Magnitude (Power) page on wikipedia gives these comparisons to Vega's 2.4 terawatt power draw.

0.7 terawatts: The combined resting metabolic rate of every human on Earth.
3.34 terawatts: Power consumption of the United States in 2005.
18.1 terawatts: Power consumption of human civilization in 2013.
50-200 terawatts: Power output of a hurricane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I mean effectively pulling in the entire united states power into a single sphere the size of maybe a bus is pretty drat impressive.