Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

azren posted:

That intro that ends with Doomguy smashing the comm screen is such a brilliant move on the part of the devs. It's them setting an expectation for tone, and stands in stark contrast with he beginning of DOOM 3, and it is beautiful!

It was actually one of the last things they did for the game, if I remember the documentary right. The opening was one of the hardest things to get right, but they eventually landed on, well, the opening we got.

Also, if we're talking chainsaws, I have to bring up that one of the current best selling titles in Shonen Jump is called "Chainsaw Man" about a dirt poor professional devil hunter who gruesomely murders demons, zombies, and major religious figures with chainsaws.

Like Doom, it's a story about an ultra-violent lunatic who barely pays any attention to people making complicated plots all around him.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

Okay but what kind of skateboarding move IS the McTwiggle :thunk:

It's like an overburst backslide through the z-town, but with more of an eastside jersey vibe to it.

Or I suppose you could say it was a hyperbolic chainsaw with a Fujimoto impact, but that really feels like it's missing some of the nuance.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

"It takes a team full of energy. Potential energy."

Wow. That's kinda on the nose, even for the UAC.

Honestly?

By their later standards, that one's actively subtle.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, the grenade launcher and rapid fire missiles are more fun

I'm a simple man.

Give me a good double barreled shotgun, and I'm content.

And Doom's shotgun?

Pretty good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And now the talk about Doomslayer just being misunderstood has made me think about Chainsaw Man again.

A manga where the most feared killer in Hell mostly just wants hugs.

His simple attempt to go on a date had a double digit bodycount.

Maybe Doomslayer was just trying to get a burger or something, and all the carnage is just a consequence of Hell's poor customer service.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There are temperatures below absolute zero, if I remember right. It's one of those "physics gets weird" things you get when doing particle physics experiments and the like.

(Or when you're making a sequel to Gunbuster).

Also, it's nice how Doomguy isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

It was at this point that I went, wait I don't kill hayden?

Nobody kills him. He lives.