Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I had three ESXi hosts at the beginning of 2023, now I have one and one proxmox. It's got a little learning curve but there's a lot of info online so it's not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Theophany posted:

Not sure if they've been posted here before, but there are US and UK private Facebook groups where IT pros sell off gear that their employers are retiring/they have swiped that sometimes have some great stuff at reasonable prices.

If anybody knows an AU equivalent for this, I need it.
I'm sick of people trying to flog their 10 year old Dell PowerEdge for $10K "because it cost them $50K new."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I weaned myself off of ESXi once I realized that one of my servers was mostly resource-dedicated to the VCSA server for that cluster. Actually should move to proxmox but I just kind of went back to baremetal + containers for all the things that had discrete VMs previously, mostly out of expediency and "eh I'll get around to proxmox at some point". I think maybe that was the time I was also messing with Xen or something.

I've been slacking bigtime on the homelab front since I went all-in on simmimg IBM mainframes and learning MVS/zOS :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm still using XCP-NG (Open Source Xenserver) but slowly moving to Proxmox

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I'm still using XCP-NG (Open Source Xenserver) but slowly moving to Proxmox

In doing some googling around that seems to be the other choice. Why are you switching/choosing one over the other?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

In doing some googling around that seems to be the other choice. Why are you switching/choosing one over the other?

Mostly just to trying it out - XCP-NG works just fine, and I still prefer it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Mostly just to trying it out - XCP-NG works just fine, and I still prefer it.

Dammit, now that means I have two things to try out.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Lawrence systems did a few videos on xcp-ng and it looks pretty neat, I ended up using Proxmox because it could handle reliably passing through a USB thumbdrive to an unraid VM, which was a small but specific edge case I think.
His biggest reason for favoring XCP-NG were the backup and backup testing workflow, and Proxmox's lack of 24/7 support plan for actual business use.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Is there a preference between xcp-ng vs proxmox for setting up, among a million other things, a truenas scale VM and passing through a sata controller to it?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Twerk from Home posted:

https://twitter.com/sysadafterdark/status/1747114461146620102

The sound of thousands of nerds grumbling at once, as free personal homelab ESXi is dead now.

Who could have possibly seen this coming?

Now they can all start adopting something Open Source like xcp-ng or proxmox?

eschaton fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 18, 2024

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

some kinda jackal posted:

I've been slacking bigtime on the homelab front since I went all-in on simmimg IBM mainframes and learning MVS/zOS :(

z/OS homelab when?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

eschaton posted:

z/OS homelab when?

code:
esa.vm.ibm.jkl.lab.	86400	IN	A	10.0.80.21
z.vm.ibm.jkl.lab.	86400	IN	A	10.0.80.22
z1.mvs.ibm.jkl.lab.	86400	IN	A	10.0.80.31
z2.mvs.ibm.jkl.lab.	86400	IN	A	10.0.80.32
o1.mvs.ibm.jkl.lab.	86400	IN	A	10.0.80.41

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 18, 2024

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Is there a preference between xcp-ng vs proxmox for setting up, among a million other things, a truenas scale VM and passing through a sata controller to it?

Especially if you've already moved to Scale and left BSD behind, I might at least consider using Proxmox's ZFS support.

Proxmox aims to be your storage as well, has support for ZFS and Ceph.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

eschaton posted:

Who could have possibly seen this coming?

Now they can all start adopting something Open Source like xcp-ng or proxmox?

This seems like a terrible idea. Forcing homelabbers away from ESXi is only going to drive nerds into open source virtualization and those same nerds are going to bring that new familiarity into the workplace.

I can see it unfolding in SMB shops now:

“Actually boss, I’ve used [open source version] a lot and there’s no need to go with VMware. Let me set up a POC and show you how this works.”

I wonder what problem the dropping of free ESXi is trying to solve.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Providing an extra reason to completely kill VMWare when there are no more customers. Until then, they'll milk it for all they can, to recoup the money paid for it and maybe turn a bit of profit. Which they will, as I'm presuming they did their calculations properly. And it is possible that probably there were small businesses out there using that free edition, which will maybe be forced to pay now if they can't move off of it soon enough.

Since they bought it the stock rose a few hundred $ too, so the people at Broadcom got their nice bonuses anyway, so it's a win for them anyway.

For me personally this sucks donkey balls since I moved from proxmox to the free ESXi a year ago, and I've been really happy with it as it is faster overall than proxmox. I hope, if I don't upgrade it or anything, they'll let me have it for some time.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 18, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Agrikk posted:

This seems like a terrible idea. Forcing homelabbers away from ESXi is only going to drive nerds into open source virtualization and those same nerds are going to bring that new familiarity into the workplace.

I can see it unfolding in SMB shops now:

“Actually boss, I’ve used [open source version] a lot and there’s no need to go with VMware. Let me set up a POC and show you how this works.”

Yup. Its just going to make subject matter experts stop recommending ESXi and move them to other platforms.

Broadcom just cannot stop with the IBM/GE levels of MBA driving fuckups.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Volguus posted:

For me personally this sucks donkey balls since I moved from proxmox to the free ESXi a year ago, and I've been really happy with it as it is faster overall than proxmox. I hope, if I don't upgrade it or anything, they'll let me have it for some time.

What's faster about ESXi? VM execution speed? Control plane? Networking? Paravirtual drivers?

I haven't looked into benchmarks but I'd be surprised if qemu/KVM was way slower than VMware for running VMs given the resources and large stakeholders backing it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Some of the VMs I have run builds of some of my projects. The builds finish faster now by more than 20-30%.

That's measured numbers. Not measured is VM responsiveness when I ssh into one and do ... whatever.

The downloads VM also downloads things faster now. It uses more of the available bandwidth.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

It could be QEMU’s default CPU type, which is set to essentially the baseline x86_64 instruction set to ensure maximum compatibility for live migrations. I know ESXi has a similar setting, but I don’t recall what it defaults to. My guess is it targets a newer instruction set that aligns with the oldest processors on the ESXi HCL.

You can (and should) change that for all VMs that you run. Usually “host” is advisable if your cluster is on the same CPU microarchitecture.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 18, 2024

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cenodoxus posted:

It could be QEMU’s default CPU type, which is set to essentially the baseline x86_64 instruction set to ensure maximum compatibility for live migrations. I know ESXi has a similar setting, but I don’t recall what it defaults to. My guess is it targets a newer instruction set that aligns with the oldest processors on the ESXi HCL.

You can (and should) change that for all VMs that you run. Usually “host” is advisable if your cluster is on the same CPU microarchitecture.

Oh yes, I poked in there changing anything that I could/read about proxmox performance. I ran it for several years (more than 4). Until I got sick and tired of janitoring that junk and moved to esxi, which ... whatever it does I do not care, the VMs are faster now. Which is the only thing that matters.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'd like to set up a small homelab to muck about with learning containers, k8s, Intune + Autopilot etc...

Is there any guidance on finding cheap workstations for these kind of projects?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

I'd like to set up a small homelab to muck about with learning containers, k8s, Intune + Autopilot etc...

A lot of it is going to depend where you're putting it.

Like you can hit ebay for a poweredge from some number of years ago for $300. But it'll slurp power like a camel at an oasis and be louder than a 737 Max missing it's door plug.

I usually just whitebox things together myself from newegg parts but I also have my now 11 year old NAS box running on original hardware.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Hughmoris posted:

You can find some pretty good deals on the ultra-small form factor workstations from Dell, HP and Lenovo. ServeTheHome has a good article series on it called TinyMiniMicro.

Buy a few of those, max them out with RAM and put an NVMe and a SATA SSD in each and you can build a solid Proxmox cluster that idles around 10W per node.

Some OptiPlex Micros also have a slot you can install a second 1GB NIC in using the WiFi M.2 slot.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Especially if you've already moved to Scale and left BSD behind, I might at least consider using Proxmox's ZFS support.

Proxmox aims to be your storage as well, has support for ZFS and Ceph.

I actually started on scale. I'm not picky about which flavor of truenas i run though. That's neat that Proxmox has ZFS support. Can I do SMB/NFS with it? I mostly just need a big blob of storage for personal files or whatever.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Korean Boomhauer posted:

That's neat that Proxmox has ZFS support. Can I do SMB/NFS with it? I mostly just need a big blob of storage for personal files or whatever.

Proxmox is strictly a hypervisor, so all of its ZFS and Ceph management is focused on that. There's nothing in the UI to manage any SMB shares or NFS exports. It's just Debian under the hood, so you could if you had to and didn't mind managing all the config by hand.

Scale does VMs and (Docker) containers by itself so I don't think there's a compelling case for putting Proxmox underneath it unless you have some other requirements.

some kinda jackal posted:

code:
esa.vm.ibm.jkl.lab.	86400	IN	A	10.0.80.21
z.vm.ibm.jkl.lab.	86400	IN	A	10.0.80.22
z1.mvs.ibm.jkl.lab.	86400	IN	A	10.0.80.31
z2.mvs.ibm.jkl.lab.	86400	IN	A	10.0.80.32
o1.mvs.ibm.jkl.lab.	86400	IN	A	10.0.80.41

gently caress yeah. You just inspired me to fire up Hercules again. Dammit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cenodoxus posted:

You can find some pretty good deals on the ultra-small form factor workstations from Dell, HP and Lenovo. ServeTheHome has a good article series on it called TinyMiniMicro.

Buy a few of those, max them out with RAM and put an NVMe and a SATA SSD in each and you can build a solid Proxmox cluster that idles around 10W per node.

Some OptiPlex Micros also have a slot you can install a second 1GB NIC in using the WiFi M.2 slot.

2nding this - The Micro Form Factor Dell/HP/Lenovo can pack a lot in there, I have one with a socketed i7 10 core/20 thread and 64GB of RAM + 2 nvme and a 2.5" SATA. A nice little powerhouse

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cenodoxus posted:

gently caress yeah. You just inspired me to fire up Hercules again. Dammit.

Condolences :twisted:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughlander posted:

A lot of it is going to depend where you're putting it.

Like you can hit ebay for a poweredge from some number of years ago for $300. But it'll slurp power like a camel at an oasis and be louder than a 737 Max missing it's door plug.

I usually just whitebox things together myself from newegg parts but I also have my now 11 year old NAS box running on original hardware.

Cenodoxus posted:

Ok thanks for the ideas. I'm looking more towards a couple of mini PCs that I can stick in the corner of my office and remote to.

Amazon sells mini PCs by a vendor called Bee-link. You can get a 12th gen Intel processor for $139. Hmmm.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Amazon sells mini PCs by a vendor called Bee-link. You can get a 12th gen Intel processor for $139. Hmmm.

I have 2 Beelinks and they're a mixed bag. They are fine but you can tell that they're cheap. The best value Beelink right now if you want a little more grunt are the 8 core AMD ones for ~$280, they're a hell of a lot faster than those cheapo Intel ones.

I have a N5095 and N5105, and the problems I've run into are:

• audio is connected via an internal USB port and Windows Update has installed audio drivers that don't work twice. uninstalling the audio driver brings sound back.
  • Intel's Tremont line had a bug where Linux guest VMs hang regardless of hypervisor. this has been fixed by microcode update after being widely discussed on both Proxmox and VMWare communities.
  • Their BIOSes are awful and expose every possible option, including many that should never be touched. they're also all configured to use 15W out of the box even if it's a 6W TDP processor.
  • The Windows licensing on them is.... fucky. Windows reinstallations are fraught, you are supposed to get an image from Beelink. Another goon reported that theirs showed up unactivated and wouldn't activate.

Oh, and one last thing: they all ship with only 1 DIMM but this isn't a big deal on the model you posted because Intel processors are such garbage that they only support single channel memory. I put a 32GB kit into my older, dual channel N5015 and it gets 40fps in Fortnite.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
All of this talk is making me consider using mini-PCs for my hypervisors but I need a PCIe slot for a fiber HBA.

Is there such a thing? What’s the smallest mini PC available with a PCIe slot?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Agrikk posted:

All of this talk is making me consider using mini-PCs for my hypervisors but I need a PCIe slot for a fiber HBA.

People can and do use M.2 to full size PCIe adapters to do all sorts of stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/ADT-Link-Extender-Graphics-Adapter-PCI-Express/dp/B07YDH8KW9

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im this reviewers setup

they say the use-case was to run 4 GPUs at once so it's a crime they didn't show the fully populated system

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Agrikk posted:

Yes, there is, the Lenovo M720q has a PCIe slot available:

https://www.servethehome.com/lenovo-thinkcentre-m720q-tinyminimicro-feature/

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If its a half height card, theres the minisforum ms-01.
Its got a 13900h, 2 dimms, 3 nvme, 1 u.2 (disables 1 nvme if used), and a half height single slot pcie

code1
Jan 28, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Recently, I had a breathtaking journey to the enterprise-level storage microservers world. Here is a short shot of how it went. Enjoy!

Admin Edit: Removed spam youtube link

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CommieGIR posted:

2nding this - The Micro Form Factor Dell/HP/Lenovo can pack a lot in there, I have one with a socketed i7 10 core/20 thread and 64GB of RAM + 2 nvme and a 2.5" SATA. A nice little powerhouse

Yeah, I've been very happy with my optiplex micro. You can get a decent little pc with quicksync support for under $200 if you're willing to grab used. I recommended a NUC, optiplex, or other x86 micro pc to my father, who's looking to get back into some modest homelabbing after having to chuck all of his stuff for a move. A little device like that with proxmox on it and a NAS to backup your VM states make for a great basic homelab setup for under $600 (before hard drive costs)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, I've been very happy with my optiplex micro. You can get a decent little pc with quicksync support for under $200 if you're willing to grab used. I recommended a NUC, optiplex, or other x86 micro pc to my father, who's looking to get back into some modest homelabbing after having to chuck all of his stuff for a move. A little device like that with proxmox on it and a NAS to backup your VM states make for a great basic homelab setup for under $600 (before hard drive costs)

Dell Refurbished also has occasional sales where they give 40-50% off, which puts their refurbs in a comparable price range to used. My homelab stuff (Plex, Minecraft server for the kids, PFsense, etc) runs on a couple SFF PCs like that.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's been a while since I physically mucked with enterprise class servers as opposed to just configuring them with Dell and drop shipping them where they need to go. On an R440 (dual socket but only one socket occupied by a Xeon), what's the maximum memory slots I can actually use with a single CPU? I *think* they are all technically usable I will just be crossing an interconnect/different NUMA nodes?

Also learned the hard way that an R740 is entirely too loud for a homelab unless I am missing some trick to get the thing quieter (set power profile to both sound capped and energy efficient but still a loud sumbitch)

cr0y fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 28, 2024

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

cr0y posted:

Also learned the hard way that an R740 is entirely too loud for a homelab unless I am missing some trick to get the thing quieter (set power profile to both sound capped and energy efficient but still a loud sumbitch)

Filling out all the internal fans reduced the overall volume a little for me, but not enough to the point I'd want to be in the same room with it. I relegated mine to my works office where it's doing lab duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Aware posted:

Filling out all the internal fans reduced the overall volume a little for me, but not enough to the point I'd want to be in the same room with it. I relegated mine to my works office where it's doing lab duties.

Whelp