Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I should have said mine needed filling out because it shipped with a single CPU and I bought a second CPU/heatsink off AliExpress and it got way louder until I filled out the fans.

Dell removed the ability to reduce the fan speed manually in some previous version of iDRAC is the best I could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
As sexy as those R740s are and as desperate as I am to build a server with those kind of specs, I just can’t have that kind of fan noise going on.

I wish this server used normal 4-pin motherboard fan connectors so I could figure out how to cut 120mm holes in the lid to mount a set of 120mm fans blowing directly onto the hardware.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Used Epyc + Supermicro combo from Ebay might be worth looking at?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Set yourself up an HP rx2600-series system running OpenVMS or an HP rp2400-series system running MPE/iX and then see how you feel about the fans in modern hardware.

(Then marvel at the comfortable minicomputer/mainframe operating systems and ponder why we can’t have nice things any more.)

(Anyone have an XKL TOAD-1 or two? Then I could run XKL’s port of TOPS-20 as well as a port of ITS if one ever happens…)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

eschaton posted:

Set yourself up an HP rx2600-series system running OpenVMS or an HP rp2400-series system running MPE/iX and then see how you feel about the fans in modern hardware.

(Then marvel at the comfortable minicomputer/mainframe operating systems and ponder why we can’t have nice things any more.)

(Anyone have an XKL TOAD-1 or two? Then I could run XKL’s port of TOPS-20 as well as a port of ITS if one ever happens…)

Sun xfire servers fans make every other server sound silent. When we decommissioned our two x4200, our whole datacenter went mute.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Agrikk posted:

As sexy as those R740s are and as desperate as I am to build a server with those kind of specs, I just can’t have that kind of fan noise going on.

I wish this server used normal 4-pin motherboard fan connectors so I could figure out how to cut 120mm holes in the lid to mount a set of 120mm fans blowing directly onto the hardware.

I just can't figure out how to get the fans to even run at a reasonable speed, the CPUs and all the other devices are cold as hell thanks to currently being in a Pittsburgh basement and they still scream at like 10,000 RPM

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess the thermal profile of CPUs isn't really comparable to a decade ago but my comment was going to be that that's weird because my decked out R620 ran reasonably quiet until you started to actually stress the two Xeons. I would expect a non-1U unit to be much quieter given larger fans but apparently not. I also valued acoustics over performance so I basically had this thing throttled in every possible way that I had control over in the firmware.

That R620 has been sitting idle for like five years now so I don't even know what's what there. I was once playing around with the idea of pulling all the spinning 15k drives and replacing them with one or two SSDs but that would require me to mess with the SAS controller and I quickly lost any interest.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I saw someone mention that if you have a lot of PCI devices that it will blindly spool the fans so I might trying pulling out the bajillion NICs it has since I don't need any of that physical connectivity. I got annoyed last night and quit but I'll take another swing at it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cr0y posted:

I just can't figure out how to get the fans to even run at a reasonable speed, the CPUs and all the other devices are cold as hell thanks to currently being in a Pittsburgh basement and they still scream at like 10,000 RPM

If you have certain non-Dell pci devices in it'll run the fans full blast all the time. People run into this most often with HBAs.

If you want it to behave nicely you can only put Dell stuff in it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My Proxmox machine went down in the last day or so and I had no idea as the host that has my monitoring and alerting stack went down with it. I think I'm going to go eBay hunt for an Optiplex or the like to move operations over to and use the cobbled together host I have now as a failover or possible just donate it.

I don't need anything insane but I would prefer to get something a bit more suited for VM ops than the now ancient i5 2500k that is dutifully (mostly) working. What's the rule of thumb here? I'd presume it would be "more cores == gooder" and as much RAM as I can fit in.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Warbird posted:

My Proxmox machine went down in the last day or so and I had no idea as the host that has my monitoring and alerting stack went down with it. I think I'm going to go eBay hunt for an Optiplex or the like to move operations over to and use the cobbled together host I have now as a failover or possible just donate it.

I don't need anything insane but I would prefer to get something a bit more suited for VM ops than the now ancient i5 2500k that is dutifully (mostly) working. What's the rule of thumb here? I'd presume it would be "more cores == gooder" and as much RAM as I can fit in.

Depends what you want to host on it. If you need disk space you'll want something to put disks into which is probably a normal mid tower PC or something more specialized. Everything 7th gen intel and below is cheap now ($100-150 for a whole computer for the most part) because 8th gen is the windows 11 cut off. There's also the N100 mini pcs which have 4x 12th gen efficiency cores. They're similarly priced and getting popular for home labs if you just want to run some vms and containers or whatever and don't want to use much space or power. It's not a direct comparison but I've heard they're similar to like a 3rd gen i5 in general performance. They're not going to support putting a bunch of disks in but if you're just running a few things they're an okay choice.

edit: also yeah if you want more cores you'd either go for a higher gen intel cpu or ryzen, but the costs increase a bit. 8th gen was the first intel desktop cpus to have 6 cores.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dunno your budget:

https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-ms-01

The ol' mini PC with an i9, 2x 10gb sfp+ and 3x nvme slots

I wish they'd announced it two weeks earlier or I'd be using it for my updated proxmox cluster

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rexxed posted:

Depends what you want to host on it. If you need disk space you'll want something to put disks into which is probably a normal mid tower PC or something more specialized. Everything 7th gen intel and below is cheap now ($100-150 for a whole computer for the most part) because 8th gen is the windows 11 cut off. There's also the N100 mini pcs which have 4x 12th gen efficiency cores. They're similarly priced and getting popular for home labs if you just want to run some vms and containers or whatever and don't want to use much space or power. It's not a direct comparison but I've heard they're similar to like a 3rd gen i5 in general performance. They're not going to support putting a bunch of disks in but if you're just running a few things they're an okay choice.

edit: also yeah if you want more cores you'd either go for a higher gen intel cpu or ryzen, but the costs increase a bit. 8th gen was the first intel desktop cpus to have 6 cores.

Truth be told I'd honestly just want more than the 16 gigs of RAM I'm capped at now due to the motherboard I'm using. My intent is to build something purpose built once the Microcenter here opens up at some point this year and go from there. I need to up my Motherboard/CPU on my main desktop machine since it's now Win11 compatible so history would dictate I move the GPU over to the new board and that's the new server.

That's honestly the play here and it would be the cheaper route for me. If anything I'd benefit the most from getting decent cases for both since what I have now are pretty substantial in size due to them being either the only option from Best Buy or on sale at Amazon at the time.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I decided to upgrade my router and I went with TP-Link since they've been good on consumer and rack-mounted stuff before. I got the ER8411 which appears to be rack-mountable (this is important for space concerns).

My question is: what is the recommendation for access points? TP-Link Omada has a lot of business-focused stuff but I'm really looking for something simple that just attaches to the LAN and supports whatever the newest protocols are for consumer devices (WPA3, WiFi 7, etc.). My partner is not interested in dealing with computer garbage so I want to minimize friction while keeping the network as secure as possible. He has an iPhone, an iPad, and a few Macs so if that's a factor I'd like to know. All my stuff is Windows (work) or Linux (personal) and I don't mind janitoring it but that's not something I can expect him to deal with.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Joe Chip posted:

I decided to upgrade my router and I went with TP-Link since they've been good on consumer and rack-mounted stuff before. I got the ER8411 which appears to be rack-mountable (this is important for space concerns).

My question is: what is the recommendation for access points? TP-Link Omada has a lot of business-focused stuff but I'm really looking for something simple that just attaches to the LAN and supports whatever the newest protocols are for consumer devices (WPA3, WiFi 7, etc.). My partner is not interested in dealing with computer garbage so I want to minimize friction while keeping the network as secure as possible. He has an iPhone, an iPad, and a few Macs so if that's a factor I'd like to know. All my stuff is Windows (work) or Linux (personal) and I don't mind janitoring it but that's not something I can expect him to deal with.

I've had success with zyxel nebulaflex switches and access points, once they are set up i didn't have to interact much with them. Omadas are a direct clone of unifi so if you like them and want modern features, i would suggest to go there instead

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Azhais posted:

Dunno your budget:

https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-ms-01

The ol' mini PC with an i9, 2x 10gb sfp+ and 3x nvme slots

I wish they'd announced it two weeks earlier or I'd be using it for my updated proxmox cluster

Well drat. These things would be perfect for me if only they had more memory slots. 32g won’t cut it for me.

RavenickSA
Jan 30, 2024
I am looking to build a NAS using a 6-bay Synology DS620 slim, and dump a bunch of Ironwolf Pros in there.

Is this still considered a good way to get started with NAS storage or are there better options? I've heard Synology has been flaky with some of their software accessibility but apparently that's been resolved?

And, is power consumption with this a concern whatsoever or is it literally just like plugging in another desktop computer in your house?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Agrikk posted:

Well drat. These things would be perfect for me if only they had more memory slots. 32g won’t cut it for me.

The spec sheet says it's validated with 64GB, and I would be surprised if it doesn't actually accept 2x48GB for 96GB.

If you need a lot more though pretty much any desktop board with 4 slots can accommodate 192GB now though.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 31, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Twerk from Home posted:

The spec sheet says it's validated with 64GB, and I would be surprised if it doesn't actually accept 2x48GB for 96GB.

It does, servethehome tested it in that configuration

https://www.servethehome.com/minisforum-ms-01-review-the-10gbe-with-pcie-slot-mini-pc-intel/

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

After a hardware refresh, I finally got around to putting up the blanking panels.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

After a hardware refresh, I finally got around to putting up the blanking panels.

Looks awesome.

Is that part of us-east-1?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

RavenickSA posted:

I am looking to build a NAS using a 6-bay Synology DS620 slim, and dump a bunch of Ironwolf Pros in there.

Is this still considered a good way to get started with NAS storage or are there better options? I've heard Synology has been flaky with some of their software accessibility but apparently that's been resolved?

And, is power consumption with this a concern whatsoever or is it literally just like plugging in another desktop computer in your house?

the 620 slim only takes 2.5 inch drives

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

If NDAs werent a thing tht might apply to some people I might be making hilarious comments about how that quality of work might exceed most of what someone who theoretically had been in one of those facilites might have found there.

RavenickSA
Jan 30, 2024

Inept posted:

the 620 slim only takes 2.5 inch drives

Wow, thank you for pointing that out, I didn't notice. I original one I had disappeared so I went with what looked like the next closest thing and I forgot the Ironwolf Pros are 3.5".

What would be the best price value for a Synology that can house 4-5 of those?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Agrikk posted:

Looks awesome.

Love the stack of UPSs.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

It's probably the entire us-east-1 .

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Looks awesome.

This is where the DynamoDB metadata cluster lives. :D

Seriously, though, It's DR for a couple of clients, hosting for a few more clients, and an architecture lab for everything else.

Starting from the top:

Dell Force10 S4810 48-port 10g switch (with four 40g uplinks)
Dell PowerConnect 6248 48-port 1000base-T PoE switch (with four 10g uplinks)
SonicWall NSA 4500

3x ESXi 7.03 hosts
Supermicro X9SRi / E5-2667 v2 @ 3.3GHz / 128GB DDR3 ECC RAM / Mellanox ConnectX-3 / 128GB SSD

TrueNAS Filer / iSCSI target:
Supermicro X9SRi / E5-2667 v2 @ 3.3GHz / 128GB DDR3 ECC RAM / Mellanox ConnectX-3 / 2x IBM M1015 HBA
4x 250GB Samsung 860 SSD in RAID-10
16x 500GB Samsung 860 SSD in RAID-10
4x 1TB Samsung NVMe 970 EVO Plus in RAID-10

Dell PowerConnect 2716

8-port KVM

1U monitor/keyboard/mouse

TrueNAS Filer / iSCSI target:
Supermicro X8DT6 / E5620 @ 2.40GHz / 96GB DDR3 ECC RAM / Mellanox ConnectX-3 / 2x IBM M1015 HBA
10x 4TB WD Red HDD in RAID-Z2
6x 250GB Samsung 860 SSD in RAID-10

Backup Server:
Windows 2019 Datacenter / Backupexec 21
Supermicro X8DT6 / E5620 @ 2.40GHz / 24GB DDR3 ECC RAM / Mellanox ConnectX-3 / HP SmartArray P410 with 1GB battery-backed FBWC
8x 4TB Seagate TerraScale HDD in RAID-6

SmartUPS RM1000
SmartUPS RM2200
SmartUPS RM2200
SmartUPS 1500
SmartUPS 1500

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

RavenickSA posted:

Wow, thank you for pointing that out, I didn't notice. I original one I had disappeared so I went with what looked like the next closest thing and I forgot the Ironwolf Pros are 3.5".

What would be the best price value for a Synology that can house 4-5 of those?

Probably second-hand if you absolutely need the cheapest. Just make sure you avoid the xx12 (1512/1612/1812/etc) lines as they all have the Intel Atom bug which just makes them die.

I just went from a 1511 to a 1821+ myself because the price difference for the extra 3 bays was like 1 drive for me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Joe Chip posted:

Omada works much like Ubiquiti Unifi, in that you're expected to have a controller somewhere on the network to handle stuff for it. Either a C200 or ER7212PC with the latter being a device capable of acting as a router, switch, PoE injector, VPN concatenator, and device controller.
Biggest problem with the latter is that it doesn't come with 2.5G ports for Wifi7 or 10G SFP+ ports for when it's being used as a core device with 10G edge.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Omada has a software controller that works fine. I just tossed it on my windows server

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Whatever you do don't get Deco line gear, it's horribly gimped and buggy. Omada has been fine however.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Azhais posted:

Omada has a software controller that works fine. I just tossed it on my windows server
Right, I keep meaning to investigate what's in the tarball, and if it can be made to run on FreeBSD using the Linuxulator.

:ninja:EDIT: Oh, it's just Java and MongoDB - just like the Unifi controller.
Don't know why it took me this long to look, when the answer was so simple.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Something might be happening with Unraid licensing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/1auembi/psa_unraid_might_be_changing_license_models/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

For those that don't follow the NAS thread:

https://unraid.net/blog/pricing-change

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

SpartanIvy posted:

For those that don't follow the NAS thread:

https://unraid.net/blog/pricing-change

Ah, I forgot there was a NAS thread.

fewyn
Apr 6, 2009
Looking for some help/suggestions

I've got this Dell Poweredge R720XD I've had for about a year and I've just have had it sitting on the table.

I'm wanting to reclaim the space and for obvious reasons below it won't fit in my rack. (10" Custom 3D printed rack into a KALLAX shelf)

Any ideas for mounting it the wall or any kind of other solutions?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

StarTech.com 2U Vertical Wall Mount Patch Panel Bracket - Steel Rack Mount Bracket w/Hardware for 19" Network, Server and Data Equipment (RK219WALLV) https://a.co/d/dV6AfTH

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

SamDabbers posted:

StarTech.com 2U Vertical Wall Mount Patch Panel Bracket - Steel Rack Mount Bracket w/Hardware for 19" Network, Server and Data Equipment (RK219WALLV) https://a.co/d/dV6AfTH

I installed this exact mount in my parents basement in 2018, and slapped an HP Proliant DL Gen 4 or Gen 5 on it. It's been hanging ever since without issues*.

*I hung it up on the wall, was like "I'll play around with this thing eventually" and never powered it on or touched it since. It's now buried behind a bunch of storage bins in my parents utility room.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

If you go the StarTech route, or any other wall mount strategy, for the love of god please use a piece of plywood to back your mounting hardware or use a stud-finder to ensure you are bolted to a solid frame, not just drywall.

I’ve seen the aftermath of small shops mounting their wall mount racks to the drywall and thinking it was solid until it’s a pile of dented and broken hardware covered with drywall dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Semi homelab related, has anyone played around with any orchestration tools? Like XenOrchestra, Rancher etc. I've got a few things in random places country wise and thinking about making them centrally adminablelelele.