Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Gyshall posted:

What is everyone using for monitoring these days? Prom/Grafana?

MRTG for life.

Seriously now, I installed one time prometheus and grafana and I couldn't figure out wtf they were talking about in there, what tables existed where and with what information and after a good 5 minutes I gave up. MRTG rules. Of course, this is just for me not for any company or paying customer. Surely those things are easy to understand after 10 minutes, but it's not like these forums are gonna read themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Volguus posted:

MRTG for life.

Seriously now, I installed one time prometheus and grafana and I couldn't figure out wtf they were talking about in there, what tables existed where and with what information and after a good 5 minutes I gave up. MRTG rules. Of course, this is just for me not for any company or paying customer. Surely those things are easy to understand after 10 minutes, but it's not like these forums are gonna read themselves.

I think the biggest advantage that something like Grafana has over MRTG is the ability to do ad-hoc exploration of metrics during issue investigations. Sometimes you don't quite know what you're looking for exactly and that flexibility is nice.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Gyshall posted:

I've been fascinated with monitoring and metrics systems for a long time, and I've finally started working on my own. It's named Gnatwren. It's not ready for use by anyone else yet, but it might be more generally useful in a couple of months. It's not going to be targeting Very Large (100s+) numbers of machines anytime soon though :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

mdxi posted:

I've been fascinated with monitoring and metrics systems for a long time, and I've finally started working on my own. It's named Gnatwren. It's not ready for use by anyone else yet, but it might be more generally useful in a couple of months. It's not going to be targeting Very Large (100s+) numbers of machines anytime soon though :)

goons.txt

That's awesome though. I ended up setting up Telegraf/Influx/Grafana and it seems good for now. Just need to figure out how to monitor my UPS and other crap now.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Gyshall posted:

I prefer Telegraf/InfluxDB + Grafana personally.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks.

One other question... I have a beefy Synology NAS that I'm using for NFS and file shares, also have the 10gbe card add in for it. Currently only connected over 10gbe.

I have 3 NUCs that are connected to it running various docker services.

Does it make sense to run the 4x 1gbe nics in a port aggregate to serve NFS, and leave the 10gbe for client access? FWIW I have two desktops that access over the 10gbe at 2.5 gbe, and the rest at 1gbe.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Gyshall posted:

Thanks.

One other question... I have a beefy Synology NAS that I'm using for NFS and file shares, also have the 10gbe card add in for it. Currently only connected over 10gbe.

I have 3 NUCs that are connected to it running various docker services.

Does it make sense to run the 4x 1gbe nics in a port aggregate to serve NFS, and leave the 10gbe for client access? FWIW I have two desktops that access over the 10gbe at 2.5 gbe, and the rest at 1gbe.

Unless the synology disks are all SSD you are not going to saturate the 10g link with the extra NFS load, I would suggest to not add extra complexity and just run all guest services over the 10g link.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

Unless the synology disks are all SSD you are not going to saturate the 10g link with the extra NFS load, I would suggest to not add extra complexity and just run all guest services over the 10g link.

Agree with this, your NUCs are never gonna saturate that link, mainly because they are each only going to be able to handle 1GB of the 10GB, leaving plenty of overhead.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Cool, thanks.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Are there any rack mount server chassis that are “nice” in the way a really good case from, say, Fractal Design is?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

gregday posted:

Are there any rack mount server chassis that are “nice” in the way a really good case from, say, Fractal Design is?

As in, "looks nice" or "things are accessible and airflow is good"?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah unfortunately most DIY server cases look pretty bland compared to stuff like Dell's newer chassis stuff.

https://www.servethehome.com/asus-rs720a-e11-rs24u-review-amd-epyc-7763-and-nvidia-a100-in-2u/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 18, 2021

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any advise for licensing Proxmox at home? Or at least removing the nag from the UI? I have a 3 node NUC cluster running a bunch of VMs, nothing crazy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gyshall posted:

Any advise for licensing Proxmox at home? Or at least removing the nag from the UI? I have a 3 node NUC cluster running a bunch of VMs, nothing crazy.

https://johnscs.com/remove-proxmox51-subscription-notice/

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

sup 3 node nuc proxmox cluster buddy

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

No idea how I missed this thread but gently caress yeah, USFFs + Proxmox are a game-changer.

I've been slowly but surely building up a cluster, starting with an R720 and adding 3 Dell OptiPlex USFFs over the last 1-2 years. The 6th/7th-gen Intel i5 ones can be had for under $200 easily, and sometimes I'll even see 8th-gen i5s around that price point.

Is anyone using the PVE built-in Ceph cluster? I went with standalone Ceph because I wanted to avoid getting locked into their versioning, but it kind of stinks because I can't use the integrated Ceph UI.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I can't wait for Ryzen USFF to start hitting the second hand market.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Cenodoxus posted:

No idea how I missed this thread but gently caress yeah, USFFs + Proxmox are a game-changer.

I've been slowly but surely building up a cluster, starting with an R720 and adding 3 Dell OptiPlex USFFs over the last 1-2 years. The 6th/7th-gen Intel i5 ones can be had for under $200 easily, and sometimes I'll even see 8th-gen i5s around that price point.

Is anyone using the PVE built-in Ceph cluster? I went with standalone Ceph because I wanted to avoid getting locked into their versioning, but it kind of stinks because I can't use the integrated Ceph UI.

Yeah I just started using it. I stuffed my NUCs with 2.5 SSDs as boot disks and then M.2 NVMEs dedicated for ceph. It seems to work well so far but I don't really know much about it. :)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

MIGHT be getting a synology DS220+ for my birthday next month
saying "might" because i dont know if theyre gonna go for that or the DAC

but, yeah - if im using it for torrents and plex poo poo, if it worth having a hardwired ethernet connection or would the difference be negligible

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

hbag posted:

MIGHT be getting a synology DS220+ for my birthday next month
saying "might" because i dont know if theyre gonna go for that or the DAC

but, yeah - if im using it for torrents and plex poo poo, if it worth having a hardwired ethernet connection or would the difference be negligible

Yes, if you try to put that on wireless you're gonna have a bad time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Hardwired if you want to take full advantage of its features.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Pull a cable to anything that is stationary. Only devices without Ethernet (IoT) and truly portable things like laptops and phones should use WiFi. Reserve the limited WiFi bandwidth for things that need it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone doing anything interesting with Wireguard? I am running my home automation on my lab and want to mess around with having my Android device always on and using the Adguard Home servers I'm running, access file shares, cameras, etc.

Thoughts on how to achieve this with minimal exposure to the WWW? My gateway/firewall is a UDM Pro, and I'm not too interested in having to install the go version of Wireguard on that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Gyshall posted:

Anyone doing anything interesting with Wireguard? I am running my home automation on my lab and want to mess around with having my Android device always on and using the Adguard Home servers I'm running, access file shares, cameras, etc.

Thoughts on how to achieve this with minimal exposure to the WWW? My gateway/firewall is a UDM Pro, and I'm not too interested in having to install the go version of Wireguard on that.

I run a little PCEngines APU4 with OpenBSD as a Wireguard server. Been doing it for a few years no without issue.

Could also run it in a VM if you wanted.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
is there any way to acquire a rackmount UPS at a semi reasonable price? it seems like the rackmount form factor automatically makes something about 10x more expensive for a given capacity - not sure if it's just ENTERPRISE upcharging or if there's something I'm missing in terms of features/etc?

at the end of the day I can throw a Cyberpower in a rackmount tray if it comes to it I guess

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have four SmartUPS 2U that I got from eBay. Some will require new battery packs, though.

Spend a little extra for the network management card. It allows multi-client shutdown after the battery drains past a certain percentage.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I got one a couple months ago (march if my last post ITT is to be believed) just trawling ebay and getting lucky. Used CyberPower CPS1500AVRa with brand new interstate batteries for $160 total. Not sure how good of a deal that was before, but it was a lot less than I had been seeing across ebay/craigslist

Still haven't found a good deal on a cabinet though. But the lackrack has been good enough for now.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 7, 2021

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I picked up a 42U cabinet off of Craigslist for $50. If you aren’t in a hurry there are deals to be found.

Alternately I built a 21U cabinet out of wood once upon a time:

https://www.rainwalk.net/2005/12/17/project-home-made-equipment-rack/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
My needs and available space are modest so I’ve been looking in the 12-15u range, which understandably is less common. Thanks for sharing your DIY, I’ve been collecting plans online in case it comes to that and I can borrow Pops’ garage for a day

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Beware that, if you are anything like me, your rack space will fill up with kit pretty quick. It might be worth having room for some future growth.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Over time i downsized rather hard, after all unless you do weird hard compute stuff, your average e-waste recovered 1u server can easily be replaced with a contemporary nuc. I moved from a 27U to a noise absorbent covered 12U and i don't feel I'm going to add more.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Over time i downsized rather hard, after all unless you do weird hard compute stuff, your average e-waste recovered 1u server can easily be replaced with a contemporary nuc. I moved from a 27U to a noise absorbent covered 12U and i don't feel I'm going to add more.

Same. I use a small wall mounted rack for my (passively cooled) networking gear and my server (yes, one) is in an ATX case with big quiet fans. The loudest gear I have is a 2000VA online UPS that I salvaged and I'm looking at replacing its fans with Noctuas. Quiet is king in the home.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Hrm…

My 30,000 IOPS SAN, three ESX hosts, folding@home box, file/media server and backup host just refuse to be miniaturized. :agesilaus:

And I have the electrical bill to prove it.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my synology DS220+ is all set up n poo poo

now how do i get mullvad to stop closing its ports and run qbittorrent in a docker container or whatever

hmmm

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Does anyone know of a way to get Oracle firmware updates? I got a couple of freebie Netra X3-2 and would like to get them onto latest firmware. According to what I can find it's patch 28818396, but that's behind a support login. Thanks for any pointers anyone can provide.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ChineseBuffet posted:

Does anyone know of a way to get Oracle firmware updates? I got a couple of freebie Netra X3-2 and would like to get them onto latest firmware. According to what I can find it's patch 28818396, but that's behind a support login. Thanks for any pointers anyone can provide.

Even if you login, you have to have a valid support ID (AKA a valid support contract) to get it.

Unfortunately, unless someone leaks it you are kinda stuck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-romed4id-2t-mitx-ish-amd-epyc-motherboard-review/

Finally, getting close to an ITX format for Epyc

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
That bad boy would be particularly useful in edge fog storage applications.

e: I'll make an effortpost once I clean some stuff out and figure out what my end state is going to be but here's some ugly top of rack blinkenlights

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 2, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

right now my DS220+ is just sat on top of my minifridge hooked up to a powerline adapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright well does anyone happen to know if it's at all possible to limit how much disk utilization a docker stack can have at any one time
because right now this thing's sitting at 100% utilization constantly but according to portainer none of the containers are using the disk at all which obviously cant be true
and i know it's the containers because when i stop them everything goes back to normal levels