Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Last year I got a good deal on an HP DL380 G7 and equipped it with a bunch of ram and HDDs and threw Unraid onto it, but I just didn't utilize the hardware as much as I could. I was hosting my bitwarden and nextcloud instances but soon took them down after seeing the server logs of everything snooping on them. Now the server has been down for about a month and I'm not sure on what I want to do with it, especially with the lockdowns. May just turn it into filestorage but I feel like the server is VERY overkill for that sort of application, even if I did do plex too. I did get the lower power dual Xeons and the server only pulls down like 80w on idle but still.

Any ideas on the networking side? I was using SWAG for cert management and Cloudlfare for my DNS stuff but not sure what else I could do to harden it just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
No reason why you couldn't get to tinkering with old off lease PCs but there are a host of good servers you could get for pretty cheap. Power efficiency obviously will be a bigger compromise but many 5-7 year old servers can be had for under $300.

I've used Labgopher to hunt stuff down before.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Holy poo poo how is that worth it to you guys?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What do you do that you can write off personal homelab stuff like that?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got 3 Raspberry Pi 2s right now, one is serving as a print server for my house and Retroarch but the other two I'm not sure of what to do with. I've already got a file server and don't think these work well for storage anyways. I'd like to possibly use them as a home project for Kubernetes and Docker stuff but was curious what sort of uses people have gotten out of their older ones.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Should have said I have done a PiHole but it got annoying to manage as it would seemingly break random apps or sites for people. I love the project but didn't like how fragile it seemingly made my network for everyone else lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I like the lone Nerf dart on the floor lol