Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

BraveLittleToaster posted:

I've been silently reading along all this while and I got to say, you've done dang good in my books, I'm definitely gonna read along with whatever you do in the future as well.

Explopyro posted:

Congratulations! This was certainly a journey, and I've thoroughly enjoyed sharing it with you.

limeicebreakers posted:

This was great, thanks a lot. :five:

Black Robe posted:

This was great, you should feel drat proud.

Quackles posted:

Well played! Well done! Huzzah!

Where's a flock of Wooloo to ring out the credits when you need 'em

The Golux posted:

Good show bringing it full circle!

Dareon posted:

Well hey, thanks for that. It's been a ride, and you gave us a story better than the game itself did. As someone with two abandoned LPs to their name, I'd say you can be proud of what you accomplished.

This is all an excellent stroke for the ego :blush:. Anyone who contributed :britain:posts, check the OP and let me know if I missed your posts; if you have anything additional to add on the topic, now's the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Congrats on the LP, definitely different than I expected, but you had the freedom to tell your own story and it was great! Also congrats on finishing a Pokemon LP, it's harder than it looks!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 74: Canon Roundup

I’m gonna lead with a few anecdotes that seem COMPLETELY unrelated to Gloria but stick with me. During the American Civil War, when generals as a rule spent great deals of money on their clothes and appearance, Ulysses S Grant had a habit of not only wearing the standard foot soldier’s uniform, but not bothering to keep it clean or spend much time on his personal hygiene. He tended to shun fancy meals at the officers’ mess in favor of sitting down at the nearest campfire and sharing their rations (his friends and biographers agree he had bizarre tastes in food anyway, so he may have preferred it to what he’d get there); he ended up looking indistinguishable from ordinary infantryman, so much so we have a few anecdotes of messengers asking Grant to direct them to Grant and one where a messenger threatened to have Grant court-martialed when Grant informed him that he was, in fact, Grant. We have records of him getting haircuts with his soldiers, demanding Union and Confederate troops receive care in his army’s hospitals, and universally offering parole to the prisoners he took instead of sending them to one of the War’s notorious prison camps. By all accounts he wasn’t doing this for popularity; he seems to have genuinely felt more comfortable with ordinary soldiers then military high society and did his damnedest to look after them even as he sent them to their deaths. His troops loving adored him, and his sense of egalitarianism and disdain for physical comfort/hygiene featured heavily in the most well-received paper I wrote in grad school which basically proved he was autistic (don’t push me, I’ll summarize it in the thread, so help me God).

Ulysses S Grant and Gloria are, uh, very different people, but I tried to write her with that same kind of egalitarian charm. She has the same contempt for social requirements forced on her (like at Motostoke), and the same ability to ignore the social status of those around her and just interact with them as individuals. It’s a big part of why she tends to make friends despite struggling in social situations sometimes; she’s confident, friendly, and doesn’t try to fit other people into boxes.

Her roles in the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra DLCs were very much improvised; I had at most a vague idea of how the DLC ended and what I wanted to happen over the next update or two. The only thing I had planned in advance was Gloria’s issues with her family and finding the empty plot where their old manor used to be. I can’t tell you how happy I was to discover Freezington had a little clearing in it; I thought I was going to have to find some vaguely square plot of land just outside of the village. Making Gloria a tourist in the Isle was a no-brainer (why else would she be visiting an out-of-the-way island), but I did have to strain a bit to structure her visit to the Tundra – if her decision to depart seemed a bit sudden, it’s probably because I ran out of time to figure out how to frame it.

Her sanity/mental illness rant paraphrases something I’ve believed for years, and I realized around Turffield that the LP was shaping up to reflect those themes without my conscious knowledge. I tried to lean into it with dubious success, I think. But, man, I put, like, literary themes and poo poo in an LP. That’s pretty wild.

Hop’s character arc canonically finished in the postgame, but I ended up completing it earlier because that felt more natural to me. I kind of struggled to give him any kind of pathos, especially because I don’t believe in inflicting characters with random drama to make the narrative more exciting. I think I managed well enough. So glad I managed to slip in another walk-and-talk, though; those started out as a way for me to hide the fact that I can’t write scene transitions but became a pleasure to write on their own.

Marnie was so underserved that I kind of feel bad; you never even run into her after the main plot unless you seek her out or she happens to show up as a random encounter on the Isle. I did what I could to work her in but there was only so much material to work with :shrug:.

An rear end in a top hat to the end, this one. In Canon he’s still much less mature and self-possessed than he is in the LP and he has a less supportive relationship with <player_name>; my takes on them have a sort of adversarial friendship that just wasn’t present in the original. I do like my take, it gives both of them someone to really fence with.

Avery is very close to his canonical self. I made him a little more rational and self-aware because I do that for every character (except Peony), but the two versions are nearly identical. The big differences are that a) he becomes introspective after his defeat instead of becoming another Bede and b) he has such a positive relationship with the dojo family because of his work with Hyde.

I’ll leave whether Gloria’s mom slept with Milo up to you.

Leon has a huge role to play in the in-game postgame in that he runs the Battle Tower. I tried it a few times and found it wasn’t to my liking, plus I didn’t have anything in mind for when it came to the LP. Consider it something fun you can do if/when/now that you have the game.

It didn’t come up in the LP much, but Leon now runs what’s left of Macro Cosmos as an entertainment company. He knows a lot of people in the energy industry, though, which is part of how Gloria, Marnie, and Piers set up their energy company.

Sonia was a lot better in the postgame than the main game, honestly; she showed some actual resilience and bravery while staying clearly herself, though she may have been a bit too forgiving. As I’ve covered, her relationship with Piers is completely original, but honestly, I think it works for them. Both of them were shunted into leadership roles they didn’t choose and offered respect they don’t feel they earned; they are both kind, intelligent, and mature people far enough from each other’s social spheres to escape the many expectations heaped on them.

In the Crown Tundra, she’s the referee of a find ‘em all search like we had for Digletts back on the Isle, except for a few Gen 4 legendaries. You have to literally track them down by finding footprints. You need to find something like 50 footprints for each and, like, no.

I never did get the chance to talk about her heartfelt, bittersweet history with Nessa. If the thread’s interested I’ll go ahead and dump it, but it’s not like you need it to appreciate the story.

By the by, “Elizabeth” didn’t even have a name originally; she just showed up as Sonia’s favorite assistant, backstabbed her, and left. She is, of course, named after Aunt Betty. This never came up, but in the LP she’s the scientist in the Max Lair (they share a model). The whole time she’s interacting with Gloria and Peony she’s internally screaming, but she isn’t in any danger because Gloria is absolute poo poo with faces.

Poor Magnolia, stuck in a secondary role and barely acknowledged.

I leaned too heavily into the “Opal is a troll” thing at the expense of her character, I think :sigh:. Too late to fix it now.

Canon Piers is a friendly, laid-back, and generous person with a rough exterior, a punk with a heart of gold and a big fan base. Not a very deep character, but a likable one. I built my Piers from the ground up as the true king of Galar, however, complete with dropping hints in Gloria’s infodumps early on. He shares a demeanor and outlook with his original self, but he’s also highly insightful, a natural politician, and a natural at ensuring economic growth overflowing with charisma and a deep sense of responsibility for his people. In theory, he’s the perfect monarch. In practice, he despises the idea of taking any bigger leadership role than he has to and despises that kind of hereditary hierarchy on principle; he is, after all, pretty punk rock.

Who?

There’s a secret scene in the Crown Tundra where you can run into Oleana standing at a gravestone because she heard Rose might be in the region; if you talk to her, she yells at you, makes funny faces, and yells at a nearby Peony for being related to Rose before storming off. I was going to rewrite that scene to have her snapping at Gloria, apologizing, and then talking about being rootless after Rose went to prison. After a while, she decides to join Bede as one of his Gym Trainers and thanks Gloria for hearing her out. I forgot about that in the rush to get this thing done and don’t have the energy to go back, find her, and write it.

Rose ‘er? I ‘ardly know ‘er!

These two in Canon consider themselves co-monarchs and seem to have never heard of Piers. They spend a lot of time talking about how they’re celebrities as much is royalty and cite their popularity as frequently as they cite their bloodline when it comes to their right to rule. Those people in the powerplant? They were groupies.

Remember how I had that noncanonical fight back in update 52? In the first scene of the postgame they ambush Hop and <player_name> as they try to return the artifacts, steal whichever artifact Hop has, and use it to initiate their plan, which is nearly identical to what I put in the LP; you always fight the mascot of the other version before your mascot shows up to be caught. After you return to the forest shrine at the end of the postgame, Leon brings the two of them around and informs us all they have to do to get off free and clear is go on a loving apology tour. They show up later in the Galarian Star Tournament which is a thing I will not cover.

E: forgot to mention: their names in the rest of the world are just takes on the English words for sword and shield, but look up their names in Indo-European languages and marvel at how wonderfully they all combine words for swords and shields with aristocratic names. Schwerthold and Schildrich? Jean-Fleuret and Jean-Targe? Perfection :allears:

I changed Zamazenta more than any other character except Gloria largely because she WASN’T a character. She vanishes from the narrative the moment you catch her and becomes just another Pokémon. However, I knew that Gloria was going to be alone for long stretches of time on the Isle and in the Tundra, so I needed something for her to do. I’m a follower of my take on the Team Four Star school of humor (such as it is):
  • While observational and situational humor can be funny, character humor is generally funnier. Corollary: character humor is at its best when it involves multiple characters interacting.
  • Comedy is less a genre and more a trait compatible with any number of other genres. Corollary: if and when properly used, comedy can contribute to even drama or horror.
  • Humor carries no positive or negative moral value. Just because something’s funny doesn’t mean it can’t be serious, and just because something’s funny doesn’t mean it’s insightful or valuable. Corollary: it is an artist’s duty, not as an artist but as a citizen and moral being, to make sure their humor at least does no harm, just as it is the duty of anyone with any kind of power to not abuse it. If touching on sensitive subjects, sometimes that humor will cause harm unintentionally, and in that case the artist’s duty is to acknowledge that and actively prevent their work from causing that type of harm in the future.
The jokes I’ve written over the course of this LP have tried to stick to these principles, and since I needed somebody to help me fill out point one, I had Zamazenta form and maintain that mental bond with Gloria to give her somebody to interact with. They needed to have an actual relationship to make that dynamic work, though, and giving them time to develop one is a big part of why I had those two timeskips (I also wanted the characters to have time to come to terms with the way their lives have changed before throwing more stuff at them). I ended up using Zamazenta a lot less than I would have liked to, but she did come in handy at least a couple times.

Worth noting: she and Sonia are friends. She picked up the technical vocabulary she used on the Isle of Armor after I added it in from studies they conducted on Zamazenta’s control of Galar radiation.

Almost identical to his Canon self. I made him a little sharper and a little wiser, mostly so he could realize the obvious, but there isn't much that needs changing :allears:.

Likewise very similar to her Canon self. The only developments I had in mind would have been basically reprinting the information on her league cards (according to the wiki); she managed a trading firm before she met Mustard and, even as she runs the dojo, she’s currently working on developing a mass production-ready version of Max Soup (which she invented). She also has a team about on par with Mustard’s, but there was no way on earth I was going to sink all the time I needed to uncover this into the game.

The stereotyped vocabulary? The technical aptitude? The abrasive personality? The inability to go outside? That thing he wears, which I recognize as medical equipment used to moderate sensory input? There’s no way on earth Hyde isn’t meant to be autistic (or at least autistic-coded). I tried to give him a little more agency than he has canonically, but I frankly had no idea how to write him so I didn’t have him show up much. Didn’t want to turn this into another Spikemuth.

Peony is so close to his Canon self I think I gave him exactly one new line. Gloria didn’t like him much because he’s loud, unpredictable, talkative, and doesn’t listen to her, all of which she finds really uncomfortable; if you confronted her about it, she’d probably grudgingly admit there’s nothing wrong with him, but she basically just puts up with him and goes with the flow for most of that part of the LP. I ended up cutting a bunch of his lines and a big part of his storyline (Calyrex is the first of many Legendaries he helps you catch) for space.

Peonia strikes me as a Gyaru stereotype in a British school uniform, so I decided I needed something a little bit more interesting to make her an actual character. Her being trans came out of how her hair and headband map to the trans flag colors, pretty much.

The only characters that changed more than Calyrex were Gloria and Zamazenta, mostly because they are basically original characters. Canonically, Calyrex is supposed to be funny and almost pathetic, a Legendary without any powers that fails comically every time it tries to do something. It practically begs you to help it, despairs at its own inadequacies, and sometimes cracks jokes. It also turns Peony into a meat puppet out of convenience. That’s messed up, man. I wanted it to be a villain, but I went through several iterations of its villainy even as I wrote the updates; for a while I was planning for its presence to wear away at people’s free will until Gloria caught it moments before it took over entirely, but I gave up on that pretty quick. As someone who deeply treasures self-control, Gloria can’t help but be scared shitless by Calyrex’s mind control, and in fact her fear, paranoia, and isolation are what drove the last half of the Crown Tundra. But it went down and now it’s out of the picture. Once you have Calyrex you can do a bunch of weird things with it up to and including separating it from its steed, but I’m not going to bother with that.

I have to say, looking back at Calyrex’s introduction I’m pretty proud of how eerie it looks appearing behind its statue. Too bad it hid how I slipped “nice” into the end of Update 69.

Here’s a fun thing for you guys to do! Somewhere in this LP’s structure is a reference to a Glorantha character. If you can find him, I’ll spoil a plot point for my next LP that won’t tell you anything about the ending but will get your :tinfoil: going. E: Protip: this isn’t something that showed up in a throwaway line, he came up a couple times.

Crosspeice posted:

Congrats on the LP, definitely different than I expected, but you had the freedom to tell your own story and it was great! Also congrats on finishing a Pokemon LP, it's harder than it looks!

A: thank you and B: don't I know it :negative:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 5, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Falconier111 posted:

Somewhere in this LP’s structure is a reference to a Glorantha character.

...well, I know what I'm doing when I get home from work.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

Somewhere in this LP’s structure is a reference to a Glorantha character.

It's Gloria, innit.

Gloriantha.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

...I may have heard of Glorantha before but not in any significant detail.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Golux posted:

...I may have heard of Glorantha before but not in any significant detail.

It's the setting for King of Dragon Pass and Six Ages. And a lot of roleplay game stuff. A LOT. Both complete KoDP LPs fell into multiple rabbit holes and barely scratched the surface of the lore.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Just wanted to say again that I appreciate the way you made all these people into actual characters, since the game largely wasn't interested in doing it.

Falconier111 posted:

In the Crown Tundra, she’s the referee of a find ‘em all search like we had for Digletts back on the Isle, except for a few Gen 4 legendaries. You have to literally track them down by finding footprints. You need to find something like 50 footprints for each and, like, no.

I don't blame you not wanting to do this, but it's worth pointing out this is a lot kinder and less annoying to do than the digletts. The footprints constantly spawn and you just need to inspect 50 total, you aren't penalised for missing any and you don't need to complete it. You can knock it out in a couple of minutes for each one, honestly.

There's also a secret where you take those three legendaries to a specific location and feed them curry, and that spawns a Mythical pokemon :psyduck:

Falconier111 posted:

Leon has a huge role to play in the in-game postgame in that he runs the Battle Tower. I tried it a few times and found it wasn’t to my liking, plus I didn’t have anything in mind for when it came to the LP. Consider it something fun you can do if/when/now that you have the game.

I'm a bit sad you didn't cover this, if only because the royal guard inspired getup Leon wears in the Battle Tower is pretty slick and (to my mind) much better character design than the eyesore he wears the rest of the time. It honestly made me warm up to his character a bit, after being extremely annoyed by him throughout the rest of the game.

Too lazy to get my own screenshot right now but here's the best bulbapedia had

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm still annoyed he's got the sticker still stuck on the brim of his hat. Although, if they wanted to convey he's an idiot, there's not a lot of more immediately obvious visual cues. And visual cues seem to be important with Leon's design, given the crown-like pattern on the underside of the brim.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Dareon posted:

I'm still annoyed he's got the sticker still stuck on the brim of his hat. Although, if they wanted to convey he's an idiot, there's not a lot of more immediately obvious visual cues. And visual cues seem to be important with Leon's design, given the crown-like pattern on the underside of the brim.

Sticker?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Chapter 75: Conclusion

Some statistics:
  • .99 gigs in the folder.
  • ~2200 images and a total of about 120,000 words, not counting coding or text in images (if I had to guess I’d say the latter add about 10,000 16,000 words due to new estimates), making this LP long enough to fit into two respectable novels.
  • 74 updates (update 13 doesn’t count) spread out over 135 days (not counting the break), each averaging about 29 images and 1760 words (1966 counting words in images).
  • 96.5 hours spent ingame.
  • By far the largest creative project I’ve ever engaged in, let alone finished.

Special honors to:
  • Black Robe (for the script dump and British culture briefings) and The Golux (for spending money on this LP), as well as to too many standout posters to count.
  • The developers of Pokémon Sword and Shield for making such an excellent game to rebuild from the bottom up.
  • Chokes McGee, Didja Redo, TheDarkId, Bobbin Threadbare, Jerusalem, and all the other narrative screenshot LPers that built the rich legacy this LP draws on.
  • The poster reading this.

The Sword and Shield Pokémon: Eyewitness Accounts Of The Most Important Events In Galarian History posted:

Acknowledgments
To my wonderful wife Marnie for providing me with vital economic context, to my equally wonderful son Victor for repeatedly schooling me in aspects of the Continental feudal system, and to both of them for keeping me happy and sane as I put together my life’s work.
To Zamazenta, for providing the interviews this book is based on and for saving my life more times than I can count over the years.
To Mum, for pouring so much time, care, energy, and generosity into somebody who hopes she can pay it back someday, or at least give as much love to others.
To my best and oldest friend Hop, for the scientific grounding he provided me with and the unconditional support he’s offered me for as long as I can remember, and his husband Avery, for making his life so happy and stable.
To Bede and Klara, the only toxic people I know who neutralize each other’s toxicity, for stress testing my theories and “keeping it real” (not keeping that promise, Bede) in their criticism.
To the wonderful people of Spikemuth, especially Piers and Sonia (and all your little ankle biters, some of whom are old enough to start looking at universities, God forbid).
To Leon, who gave me way more funding than he probably should have.
To Hyde, my successor as Champion, for reminding me that you can never really rest on your laurels and for providing tech support for someone who really should’ve known better.
To my editor Peonia, for making sure my ramblings make sense to other people and keeping me from vanishing too far into academia.
To my fellow scholars at Prifysgol Aberpych for your unconditional support and for making me just a little bit more East Cameran.

And to you, the reader, whomever you are, because at the end of the day this was written with you in mind. I cannot express my gratitude enough.

– Gloria.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 17, 2021

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The obvious glorantha stand in is the new farfetched evolution because you do not gently caress with the ducks.

I don't think we saw it much in the lp, though.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

FoolyCharged posted:

The obvious glorantha stand in is the new farfetched evolution because you do not gently caress with the ducks.

Sirfetch'd is sword exclusive, the shield equivalent (regional variation of a mon with an evolution the original doesn't have, and also of the type of the stow-on-side gym leader for that matter) is Corsola, but that's why I traded Falconier a duck with a leek.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

On the brim of his cap, partly concealed by his hand. I missed it too at first.

FoolyCharged posted:

It’s one of Shieldbert’s Pokémon, but I don’t blame you for missing it; by that point we were roaring through fights at lightning speed, anyway :v:. If I have one major regret about the LP, it would be my failure to work Pokémon in beyond puns, fights, and a few specific mentions.

For clarity, the reference is a person mentioned in one of Glorias backstory dumps. You’re on track with KoDP; he’s the most important character in Dragon Pass in that time period who doesn’t show up in that game even though he TECHNICALLY does.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The crown thing, or something else? I figured the crown on the top of the brim was an intentional logo. I think it's like image attached?

Or did you mean something else? I guess now that I think about it hats do have round stickers on the top of the brim but I don't think they're usually that big?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

FoolyCharged posted:

:ducksiren:

Also I give up, I reread every single update and missed whatever it is. I need to replay KoDP soon.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

The Golux posted:

The crown thing, or something else? I figured the crown on the top of the brim was an intentional logo. I think it's like image attached?

Or did you mean something else? I guess now that I think about it hats do have round stickers on the top of the brim but I don't think they're usually that big?

I think it’s just the logo tbh :shrug:

Quick question: I won’t be able to keep up that frankly insane once-a-day 1500 word posting schedule in the future, but that much writing every two or three times a week (plus one on weekends) is probably doable. Next time around, does that sound about right for update speed? I could also probably do 2500-ish words two or three times a week total. Which sounds better?

Because I’m impatient and like saying enigmatic things more than letting the enigma unfold naturally; the reference is a king, while the referencee is, in fact, a prince. Same outlook on politics, too.

Black Robe posted:

Also I give up, I reread every single update and missed whatever it is. I need to replay KoDP soon.

Search “prince” in the Glorantha wiki, read through the article on the founder of the dynasty, and check out the lorepost I linked in the second post; see if you see any similarities. I like being obscure but if you’ve close-read the whole LP and missed it, it’s probably TOO subtle.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 5, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Black Robe posted:

You could always go play The King's Dilemma with a live goon audience. We need more players, and it's delightfully political.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Golux posted:

Yes, the dumb clothing brand logo that otherwise intelligent individuals leave on their hat.

Although googling for that revealed there are custom stickers you can buy and stick on, which for some reason falls under "acceptable customization" for me, whereas leaving the maker's mark on is "walking around with the store tags on your jeans."

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Falconier111 posted:

I think it’s just the logo tbh :shrug:

Quick question: I won’t be able to keep up that frankly insane once-a-day 1500 word posting schedule in the future, but that much writing every two or three times a week (plus one on weekends) is probably doable. Next time around, does that sound about right for update speed? I could also probably do 2500-ish words two or three times a week total. Which sounds better?

Because I’m impatient and like saying enigmatic things more than letting the enigma unfold naturally; the reference is a king, while the referencee is, in fact, a prince. Same outlook on politics, too.

Search “prince” in the Glorantha wiki, read through the article on the founder of the dynasty, and check out the lorepost I linked in the second post; see if you see any similarities. I like being obscure but if you’ve close-read the whole LP and missed it, it’s probably TOO subtle.

Ohhhh. I actually did vaguely notice that but I was looking for specific names, I thought you'd namedropped one of the gods or something. In my defence I was very tired. Nice one. (New King of Dragon Pass LP when?)

As for your update question, I personally would prefer 1500-ish updates to 2500-ish, I generally like my LPs in small easily-digestible chunks - unless it's a game like Pokemon that I know inside and out and there can never be enough text about. But it's your LP and your process, do as much as you're happy with and be careful not to burn out.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Black Robe posted:

Ohhhh. I actually did vaguely notice that but I was looking for specific names, I thought you'd namedropped one of the gods or something. In my defence I was very tired. Nice one. (New King of Dragon Pass LP when?)

As for your update question, I personally would prefer 1500-ish updates to 2500-ish, I generally like my LPs in small easily-digestible chunks - unless it's a game like Pokemon that I know inside and out and there can never be enough text about. But it's your LP and your process, do as much as you're happy with and be careful not to burn out.

Fair enough. Dream Zanarkand is actually on top of Mt. Gagazet under Ronso stewardship and by update 5 there will be at least two Tiduses running around.

I’m planning on starting... maybe Wednesday? Monday and Tuesday are going to be long and important days.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Out of curiosity, for anyone still reading this thread: how did I do with the whole British dialect thing? I tried to get things right, but... I remember turning in something I’d written in grammatically correct Shakespearean English for a writing class and being told “you pulled it off, but I’m not sure it added anything” and I was like “story of my life”. I’d like to know so I know what I can improve on.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
As an American it seemed fine and not overdone, the only time I really even noticed was when you had Gloria talk about the Isle of Armor with the proper U.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I didn't notice any issues with it, though to be fair we're so used to seeing American stuff that I might not notice if you did slip out of it occasionally.

It actually gave me a similar "unexpected familiarity" feeling to playing Xenoblade 2 for the first time and double-taking at Nia's Welsh accent. Kind of startling and refreshing at the same time.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

E: gently caress, wrong post

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

ANYWAY, my new LP just went up!

[img]https://lpix.org/3944511/2021020713422200_s[1].jpg[/img]

You can find it here!

Quantum Toast posted:

I didn't notice any issues with it, though to be fair we're so used to seeing American stuff that I might not notice if you did slip out of it occasionally.

It actually gave me a similar "unexpected familiarity" feeling to playing Xenoblade 2 for the first time and double-taking at Nia's Welsh accent. Kind of startling and refreshing at the same time.

I'm REALLY glad to hear that. I was worried it came across as a bit affected or artificial, but I'm overjoyed it actually managed to make it past your expectations!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I've been pretty busy, so I finally got caught up with the end of this LP.

Thank you for the wonderful story! I'll think about it as I play Sword, when I finally get the time to get back to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Thanks for the fantastic LP! I just happened to stumble upon it right after I got Shield for myself, and it made for a great reading aide. Or playing aide, I guess? The game was a good reading aide for this thread, that works. It was fun to read ahead of where I was in the game, and if I ended up playing ahead then I'd get to look forward to how you show off that part. (Piers asking who Sonia is got a good laugh out of me.)

Your writing style is really charming, and it's gonna end up shaping my memory of this game for awhile I bet. I never ended up beating Zamazenta after the credits, so all the post game and DLC knowledge I have will probably be based on this for even longer.

Looking forward to FFX!