Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

inflatablefish posted:

Oh god those curry recipes.

TOAST CURRY. DRY PASTA CURRY. SWEET FRIED FOOD CURRY.
We are now 100% confirmed to be in :britain:.

Also, if our Axew will eventually evolve into a Haxorus then surely we have to name it L33t.

Putting curry sauce on your chips is a common thing here in Wales! (This is the first of many Welsh-related posts.) This is emphatically not the same thing as putting chips in your curry. That would be weird. And we definitely don't add toast or pasta.

I would love to know where the researchers were eating that they formed this opinion of British food. Yes, we like curry, and yes, some of the curry dishes are uniquely British and only loosely based on actual ethnic curries, but they're still made with meat and vegetables and normal ingredients...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Black Robe posted:

Putting curry sauce on your chips is a common thing here in Wales! (This is the first of many Welsh-related posts.) This is emphatically not the same thing as putting chips in your curry. That would be weird. And we definitely don't add toast or pasta.

I would love to know where the researchers were eating that they formed this opinion of British food. Yes, we like curry, and yes, some of the curry dishes are uniquely British and only loosely based on actual ethnic curries, but they're still made with meat and vegetables and normal ingredients...

I'm pretty sure you can get curry sauce in any chippy in the country. But mixing all the fried food into a pot! (Though I assume that Scotland will happily do you a deep-fried Mars Bar vindaloo.:scotland:)

And there's normal ingredients, and then there's us putting raisins and sultanas into curry.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Chairman Roselia, of course.

inflatablefish posted:

And there's normal ingredients, and then there's us putting raisins and sultanas into curry.
I've never been much of a curry eater, but this doesn't sound bad. At least compared to some of the stuff in this game.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I've definitely had curries with raisins (or even fresh grapes) in them before, that doesn't seem that unusual to me. Some of the ones in this game though... whole apples? Giant boiled eggs?

I liked a lot of what they did with the Wild Area in this game, but it frustrated me the regular routes tended to be so empty and linear by comparison. Why couldn't they have built the whole game this way and really give us something to explore?

EXP candy are the most superfluous thing because just playing the game normally with a fixed team will overlevel you enough. Still, they're quite handy for filling out the pokedex or getting newcomers up to speed, so it's a nice feature to have.

And a random comment on your writing, I'm really impressed you're managing to make Hop and Leon likeable, so good work! They irritate the hell out of me in the game.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Explopyro posted:

EXP candy are the most superfluous thing because just playing the game normally with a fixed team will overlevel you enough. Still, they're quite handy for filling out the pokedex or getting newcomers up to speed, so it's a nice feature to have.

And a random comment on your writing, I'm really impressed you're managing to make Hop and Leon likeable, so good work! They irritate the hell out of me in the game.

A: Eh, I kinda disagree. I guess the idea of immediately overleveling your Pokémon appeals to me, having come off the enjoyable-but-tedious grind of older versions.
B: Thanks :blush:. I guess I empathize with Hop; I can understand being that insecure and acting up to cover it. I closely modeled him on a childhood friend of mine who had that same "I'm insecure and a little overblown but very smart and rather charming at times" energy, and not coincidentally he also ended up in biology. As for Leon, he is basically his Canon self with the perceptive thing people keep talking about actually borne out, complete with social implications.

Speaking of answering questions;

inflatablefish posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get curry sauce in any chippy in the country. But mixing all the fried food into a pot! (Though I assume that Scotland will happily do you a deep-fried Mars Bar vindaloo.:scotland:)

From what I understand, Japanese curry is an entirely different animal from curry and the rest of the world, and the curry in this game is actually modeled on the Japanese dish (hence the traditional fan you use to keep the flames out). So it makes sense that it can have flavor combinations that seem off to Western tastes. To some extent.

Blaziken386 posted:

Oh hey, I recognize that remix! Lumen does good work.

...That said, it occurs to me that this game is set in not!Britain, and yet, there's very little drawn from the arthurian mythos. Hrm.

First: I'll probably be using more and more remixes to very up all the tracks. This will not be the last time you see her work here.

Second, it is kind of disappointing how they didn't include basically anything from English or Scottish or Welsh legends in the game, just snapshots of British culture. It's very much a theme park take on the United Kingdom, part of why I'm fishing for :britain:posts.

LiefKatano posted:

:eng101: The only stat that actually increases during Dynamax is your HP, which increases by 50% (+ Dynamax Level * 5%). The increase in power is directly tied to Max Moves having higher base power than the move that makes it (usually; there's two exceptions where this miiiiiight not always be the case Fighting and Poison Max Moves, since the basic versions increase your Attack and Sp. Attack).

Overall I do kinda prefer Dynamax over Z-Moves, though if most Z-Moves actually had a secondary effect rather than just being "deals massive, gently caress-off amounts of damage" they'd win me over.

...Mega Evolution's still better, though.

Looks like you're right. I'll be editing that info into the post in a bit. Since you pointed out something I got wrong, have a :britain:post credit!

Except for the Mega Evolution bits, I'm unqualified to talk about that.

PetraCore posted:

Are you planning to explore the DLC?

Probably not? I don't own it. If I decide to do it eventually, I'll probably make a new thread that covers both it and the postgame.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Which is kind of funny as Japanese Curry is more based off of British Curry than anything else.

Also, TIL Sultana is a type of grape, because I sure had a very different mental image of putting Sultanas in curry until I looked it up.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
A sultana is more like a slightly juicer raisin then an actual grape.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Explopyro posted:

I never use exp candies on my team members because I already have to go out of my way to not steamroll things (especially with the Isle of Armor giving you a permanent lucky-egg charm :argh:), but yes, the fact that I can dump a half dozen candies down the throat of something to powerlevel it is incredibly useful. No longer do you need to beat up the Elite 4 several dozen times to train up pokemon for the dex!!! Thank god.

inflatablefish posted:

Oh god those curry recipes.

TOAST CURRY. DRY PASTA CURRY. SWEET FRIED FOOD CURRY.
We are now 100% confirmed to be in :britain:.
If you dont go out of your way to try and make the most revolting sounding dishes, are you even roleplaying

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Let’s see,

CarolChaning for Roselia
Boils for Tympol
And L33T for Axew

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

If you dont go out of your way to try and make the most revolting sounding dishes, are you even roleplaying

The first thing I cooked for my Pokémon was Spicy Toast Curry. Nobody liked it.

Speaking of which!

Update 7: You Took the Time to Talk to a Pokéball

Motostoke - Pokémon Sword and Shield

Welcome to Motostoke, our first big town (as the unskippable montage suggests). Depending on who you ask, it’s either based on Edinburgh, York, or Manchester. It’s also big. Like really big, bigger than any city I’d encountered in a previous Pokémon game –

Sonia's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Hold on a mo’, we’ve more tutorial now. She calls us over to the Pokémon Center.

Hiya, Gloria! Welcome to Motostoke! Here, got something for you.

Basically, League Cards are baseball trading cards, or at least that’s the American equivalent; I’m not sure what the British equivalent would be. You get little factoids about the Trainers in question on the backs of their League Cards, plus communications features in multiplayer (yes, players have their own League Cards, and you can customize yours; no, I’ve never used them in multiplayer, or used multiplayer).

I mean, I’d prefer to learn the place on my own, I’ll be at university here anyway –

Nonsense!
Come find me after you heal up your Pokémon!

:sigh:

The opening ceremony, huh… I get a bit worked up when I think how exciting and moving it was to actually stand on a stadium’s pitch for the first time...

Let’s proceed to ignore Sonia as long as possible.

See that little glimmer? That indicates there’s a hidden item on the ground; sometimes, there are a bit more obvious and look like Pokéballs, sometimes there hadn’t like this. You just walk over and press A. This one was a literal chunk of gold some poor bastard dropped, I guess. Unfortunately, the rest of the city is blocked off, forcing us to go on Sonia’s tour. It consists of walking about seven paces to the right.

So brilliant young trainer, you know whay the reason you came to Motostoke is?

Wait, I thought I was just supposed to challenge the Gym here. You say it like there’s something else.

What? You seriously forgot about the Gym Challenge opening ceremony?

… I did. Please don’t tell Hop.

No promises, mate! You ought to head there first, before I give you the full tour. Just head in, give them your name and registration, and Bob’s your uncle, you’re in.

Well, laters! I’m going to swing by the shops while I’m here, but don’t forget to register at the stadium, ‘K?

“Laters”? Really.

Motostoke - Pokémon Sword and Shield

As I was saying, Motostoke is very large. Large enough, in fact, to have its own shopping district – one where you can enter the book the stores and do various things. Case in point:

The Battle Café. Once per day, you can swing by here and get in a fight with the owner (or one of his cousins – many towns have a local equivalent). I’ve never had a real problem handling him, so I see it as some free experience and money. He also gives you a special item, usually some kind of boxed dinner or something, that heals Pokémon or removes status effects or something. However, after fighting my way through the Wild Area, I don’t have enough money to spend on haircuts or clothing, so instead I head further in and –

Even with a huge old thing like this bang in the middle of the city, I still get lost. Gloria! All right?

All right. Caught a bunch of Pokémon on the way here.

I can see them on your belt! Got a good type spread, I bet.

Aye, I took your advice to heart – no more forgetting type advantages for me.

One look tells me that you become a trainer worthy of that endorsement I gave you! And… Yes, I reckon you might even be ready to use this… Here, try giving this to your partner to hold.

He gives us a piece of charcoal, a holdable item that boosts Fire-type moves. There’re versions of this item for every elemental type in the game, different stats, all sorts of things. This is going on Bruce and staying there.

You can take that lift up to the city’s upper level, if you’re headed for the stadium next.

And that we are. First time I used that lift, I thought it would just belch steam and pushed me straight up somehow. Standard steampunk stuff. Instead, the gear grabs the platform and swings it up. Startled the hell out of me.

This is where the opening ceremony will be held. Everyone’ll be watching the opening ceremony for the Gym Challenge… My mum… Your mum… The whole world!

Getting stage fright?

Yeah, a little. But… This is it. I know I’m ready.
I’m also excited! Come on, Gloria! it’s about time we make the world know our names.

But first…

Tada! You took the time to talk to a Pokéball, so you deserve a little reward!

They give us a free Pokéball.

In case you’re wondering, I’m not just any old Pokéball! But then who am I, you ask? Well, the answer is simple. They call me the Ball Guy!

They're not lying. Ball Guy hangs around just about every gym, giving out free specialty Pokéballs to anybody who asks. Practically everything about them is a mystery, except the fact that they give you rare items for free. As such, the fanbase loves them to death. I’ve seen multiple cosplayers.

Anyway, enough screwing around.

Gym Lobby - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

I took this screenshot too early, the line I cut off continues below.

These are all potential rivals! Let’s get signed up!

This fancy tosser pushes Hop aside as he walks past.

Seriously? What a piece of work… Bloody ponce…

:raise:

What?

You know what.

No, mate, I really… What?! No!

I know you better than that.

No, trust me, mate. No.

If you say so.

Counter Guy: Excuse me.
If you’re here to register for the Gym Challenge, I’ll need to see your endorsement, please.

We hand ours over.

Counter Guy: Fancy that… This is the first time we’ve had a challenger endorsed by the Champion!

Well, now you’ve had two, because I am as well!

Counter Guy: What?! Two of you at once?! I wonder what’s come over Leon this year… The two of you must be something special.

I’m Hop! I’m Leon’s little brother, in fact. And the next champion. Get me all signed up, would you?

Counter Guy: W-well, yes, I am trying to… If you just give me a moment… There! You two have been successfully registered as Gym Challengers! You can now choose your preferred number for your uniform, if you’d be so kind?

Well, you heard the man. Whatever number we choose will stick with us permanently; we have to wear the uniform every time we have a Gym battle so we’ll have to look at it for the rest of the game, and we can’t change the number after the fact. Voting for our number will end in 11 PM UST (5 PM central) tomorrow! Uniform numbers are three characters; choose any three numbers and tell me why you chose them. Winner gets a naming credit for later.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 8, 2020

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Welcome to Motostoke, our first big town (as the unskippable montage suggests). Depending on who you ask, it’s either based on Edinburgh, York, or Manchester.

Given how red-brick industrial the place is, I'm definitely thinking Manchester. Both York and Edinburgh have much more of an olde-worlde charm, but Manchester is very Industrial Revolution. The huge steam engines are a little over-the-top but do suit it very well.

quote:

Basically, League Cards are baseball trading cards, or at least that’s the American equivalent; I’m not sure what the British equivalent would be.

Do you have Top Trumps card in America? (No relation to a... certain person. Though I'm sure I heard that they've renamed the card game to avoid the connection.)

quote:

Well, you heard the man. Whatever number we choose will stick with us permanently; we have to wear the uniform every time we have a Gym battle so we’ll have to look at it for the rest of the game, and we can’t change the number after the fact. Voting for our number will end in 11 PM UST (5 PM central) tomorrow! Uniform numbers are three characters; choose any three numbers and tell me why you chose them. Winner gets a naming credit for later.

Hmmm. I was going to suggest 007 for the late Sean Connery, but given that he actively promoted violence against women, I'm thinking not. Let's go with the classic old System Shock code of 451.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Apparently the numbers gym leaders have all mean something in, like... Japanese numerology word-games?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Falconier111 posted:

Basically, League Cards are baseball trading cards, or at least that’s the American equivalent; I’m not sure what the British equivalent would be.

To be honest there isn't anything similar - I'm showing my age when I think the closest equivalent would be Panini football stickers, but I have no idea if they're as popular on the playground now as they were when I was 10...

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Goroawase, yes. Basically, each number can be pronounced different ways, so you can map words to numbers. The Wikipedia article has several examples.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If that's the case, maybe 815? E-i-ko; eikou means "glory." :v: As a bonus pun, it also works as eigo, which means "English" (the language).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

megane posted:

If that's the case, maybe 815? E-i-ko; eikou means "glory." :v: As a bonus pun, it also works as eigo, which means "English" (the language).

This sounds good to me.

Better than what I did in my own playthrough, which was the very unimaginative 420. :v:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

megane posted:

815 sounds good.

I went with 42 myself, because as you should know, it IS the Answer.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

Basically, League Cards are baseball trading cards, or at least that’s the American equivalent; I’m not sure what the British equivalent would be. You get little factoids about the Trainers in question on the backs of their League Cards, plus communications features in multiplayer (yes, players have their own League Cards, and you can customize yours; no, I’ve never used them in multiplayer, or used multiplayer).
Wait, you acknowledge that the game is essentially a dress-up sim, but you ignore part of the dress-up?? That just won't do. Trainer cards are cool and good. :colbert:

(everyone in the thread should post theirs as well, for fun)

Falconier111 posted:

I'm voting for 111, because we're gonna be number 1!

...Also because you have it in your username, so it fits.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

megane posted:

Holy poo poo, you don’t see one like this come by every day. 815 it is. E: whoops, that’s bad voting practice. But this one is the standard to beat, I will admit.

DoubleE: I’ll lock in the Pokénames at the end of the vote, too; current leaders are Chairman the Roselia, L337 the Axew, and Tiddles the Tympole.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 2, 2020

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Hard to beat 815.

Falconier111 posted:

Welcome to Motostoke, our first big town (as the unskippable montage suggests). Depending on who you ask, it’s either based on Edinburgh, York, or Manchester. It’s also big. Like really big, bigger than any city I’d encountered in a previous Pokémon game –
I've also seen a few parts of Birmingham that look pretty similar, especially for those bits around the canals.

You might want to give X/Y a look sometime, I'm pretty sure the Paris-equivalent is still the biggest city Pokémon's ever had. Motostoke's at least top five though, yeah.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Let's go with 815!

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Popping out of being a random lurker to give a further reason for 815.

Cinderace, Bruce's final form, is National Dex #815.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Yeah this is confluential. One more for 815.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Winner, obviously, is 815. As is traditional, Megane, you get a naming credit. I know there's a few of you with credits, so as a reminder, you can use it on any of the Pokémon I catch or that opponents use; if you rename somebody else's Pokémon, I'll be doctoring the narratives to reflect that choice.

E: It occurs to me the way I’ve been weaving italicized new dialogue in with plaintext preserved dialogue might be a bit confusing or immersion-breaking. Do you folks want me to stop making that distinction and just have everything in plaintext, keep it as is, or something else?

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 3, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Keep it as it is.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

keep it as is, it's easier to tell what's game and what's your dialogue.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Please continue using italics to differentiate between game-dialogue and LP-dialogue

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah, I like the italics. It makes more sense that way.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Your current standard italics work just fine. (Also, good job on coming up with something that works so well, Megane. I would have just suggested 777 because we're feeling lucky or something.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Italics to differentiate your text is fine.

Blaziken386 posted:

Wait, you acknowledge that the game is essentially a dress-up sim, but you ignore part of the dress-up?? That just won't do. Trainer cards are cool and good. :colbert:

I'm down!

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Blaziken386 posted:

I should really make a new one, but here's one I really enjoy. (I could... never actually figure out how to get an image on PC that's just the card, tbh.)

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Message received. Fair warning: this next post might or might not take a while; it’s going to require a lot of writing and that takes longer than just transcription or explanation.

Jadecore posted:

I should really make a new one, but here's one I really enjoy. (I could... never actually figure out how to get an image on PC that's just the card, tbh.)

I think the way you get just the card on your PC is opening up the screenshot in paint and editing it :v:

Also the reason I dismissed trainer cards was because I kind of ignored them my first time through. Once I have the opportunity to get a bit more clothing you’ll probably start seeing them.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 3, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

Do you have Top Trumps card in America? (No relation to a... certain person. Though I'm sure I heard that they've renamed the card game to avoid the connection.)

I'd compare them more with football stickers, honestly. Obviously, they're not quite the same - stickers are meant to go in an album for each year rather than traded around after the fact, and don't have facts and stats on them - but they're the main sports collectable that I know of.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 3, 2020

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Here's my league card. A pretty old version of it, mind...

...I really need to update it, if only to get rid of the Pokemon Quest(?) background.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yep, that's Pokémon Quest all right. I remember playing it, but I got bored when I found out to get Pokémon with good IVs, I had to use the high level cauldrons, and couldn't just grind up my starting Pokémon.

I might go back to it someday.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 8: Team Yell is Here to Help, After All!

Before we go any further, we ought to take a second to go back in time. Head to the Pokémon Center, talk to the guy…

Much better. Where were we? Oh, right, numbers.

Gym Lobby - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

gently caress me, this was a good pick.

megane posted:

Counter Guy: Number 815, is it? Very well. And here. Please wear this Challenge Band at all times to identify yourself as a Gym Challenger. The opening ceremony for the Gym Challenge is to be held here tomorrow. All the Trainers taking part have been booked a room at the nearby Budew Drop Inn.

That’s the League Chairman for you! Even booked us all hotel rooms! I’m off to check out the fancy digs!

:shrug: Why not? I suppose I could catch a few winks…

What a prick. Goodnight, prick.

We even get an escort! A really pushy escort that practically leads us by the nose to the building to the left (the inn). This did not deserve that level of commitment.

We also learn something a bit alarming about the local economy.

Budew Drop Inn - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Hiya! Looks like you both got yourselves registered.

Oh hey, Sonia! What’re you doing at our hotel?

I’m researching that Pokémon of yours – and I think it's related to that statue. Do you know who that is?

:cripes: Oh no, don’t get her started.

Ssh! I want to hear this.

Oh, judging by the sword and shield that’s probably Prince Gudelic of Old Camer. When the Unovans left after the Third Kalosian War, the native Camerans set up a bunch of petty kingdoms in modern Galar proper, but when the Fourth Kalosian War broke out and ended up breaking the Empire entirely, several groups of Kalosian refugees ended up forming armies and invading the area. Gudelic wasn’t able to throw them out entirely – he stopped a few waves from going further in after they established a presence near modern Wyndon – but he halted the invasion in its tracks for decades. Eventually, though, he died and the Kalosians pushed out his heirs. Modern Galar is split between North Galar or Galar Proper, the majority of the old Unovan territories inhabited by the descendents of the Kalosians, East Camer, the rest of Unovan Galar still occupied by its original inhabitants, and South Camer, where the Unovans never had any influence – not for more than a couple generations, least. Not that the Kalosians actually displaced the Camerans in Galar Proper, though: did you know that the average North Galarian is genetically about two thirds Cameran? Granted, a lot of that’s probably due to Cameran immigration a little while back –

What about that sword and shield?

Oh, right! Those are Zacian and Zamazenta, they show up in legends about him a lot. Depending on who you ask, they were either a literal sword and shield, two bodyguards or sub-commanders, or a pair of very powerful Pokémon, possibly rogue Kalosian superweapons or Legendary Pokémon. They show up pretty much every time a story needs something to serve as the end goal of a quest or something. But! Some of those legends say that the Sword and Shield originated in the Slumbering Weald and went back there after the Prince’s defeat. And that’s why we saw Zamazenta there!

And what about the Darkest Day?

I… I don’t know that one. Wait, isn’t that the title of one of the older epics? The one where Zacian goes around in a cart?

Yeppers! But if you read between the lines, a lot of the older accounts – especially the untranslated Unovan and Old Cameran ones I found sniffing around the local libraries – mention Gudelic fighting off some kind of shadow in the middle of the day.

“Yeppers.” Sonia. :cripes:

I don’t have any specifics yet, but he, Zacian, and Zamazenta always seemed to square off against the Darkness and its minions at the end of the story.

Hold on a tick, have you been reading those texts in the original languages? You have to be translating them as you go. That’s some dedication.

No, it’s honestly kind of a blast! I haven’t flexed my language muscles like that since undergrad. Give me a day in the archives, a couple hours after to hit up the shops, and I’m happy as a clam! But let’s leave off, I think we’ve overloaded Hop a tad.

:psyduck:

After all,
you two are staying here at the hotel tonight, aren’t you? Shouldn’t you check in?

Probably so! Finally! And we’ll look out for you, too, Sonia. If we find anything, we’ll let you know.

That’s all I can ask. Laters!

(I couldn’t fit this in the narrative, so I’ll leave it here. Every region has at least two or three Legendary Pokémon, unique Pokémon hidden deep in special dungeons or locked behind plot events that have unique abilities and moves, plus a very nice stat spread. Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus fill the role in Galar, though they might have added some in the DLC, I dunno.)

Team Yell Appears! - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

What’s this, then?

Team Yell Grunt: Team Yell is here to help, after all! You’re in for a battle if you wanna stop us!

Wait, if you’re all about helping, can you get out of the way so I can check in and go to my room?

Team Yell Grunt: Team Yell’s all about helpin’… Helpin’ one very special Trainer win the Gym Challenge, that is! We wanna make sure she gets cheered on nice and proper… And now you’re gonna help us make some noise!

Every generation has a crime syndicate for your characters to face off against, usually called Team (something). They vary in motive from “actual crime syndicate” to “want to dry up the world’s oceans”, but they usually end up driving the plot in some manner. Meet Team Yell, the lamest Team in Pokémon history. These guys are chumps. Two of them fight you one by one with one Pokémon half my party’s average level each. After I put down the second down, she actually apologizes for taking up my time.

I wasn’t expecting checking in would be such a big fuss, Gloria! What’s going on? Sneaking in some Pokémon battles without me?

These tossers won’t let us queue properly.

Well, we can’t have that.

I SUPPOSE I could use some help.

Well,
I could use some training, so I’ll join in! Here, I’ll even heal your Pokémon, too.

Hop. Hop, honey. I just fought two Pokémon five levels under the Pokémon wandering the tall grass just outside Motostoke. I don’t need that healing. Save the effort for later!

The plot forces it on me anyway.

I’m Hop, one of this year’s Gym Challengers! And the one who’s going to be the next Champion! Now let’s have us a nice two-on-two!

Team Yell Grunt: I can already hear my victory comin’! The only sound you make is a whimper of defeat!

:laugh:

Once in a while, you have the opportunity to engage in a double battle that pitches two of your Pokémon (or one of yours and one of an ally’s) against two opponents at the same time. The rules vary a little bit – some moves hit multiple Pokémon, some moves specifically assist friendly Pokémon in double battles – but it isn’t really that more complicated or interesting than a standard battle. Bruce wrecks both their Pokémon while Hop’s Wooloo hits one of them with an ineffective Tackle. After we beat the stuffing out of them…

Marnie's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Team Yell Grunt(s): N-n-nothin’… We was just…

I know lot are eager to help me along, but you gotta show a bit of restraint.

She turns to face us.

Sorry ‘bout them! They’re just a bunch of my fans. Call themselves Team Yell and follow me around, cheerin’ for me. I think they’ve let it all go to their heads a bit…

:stare:

She turns back to them.

Come on, you lot! Back home with you now!

They leave.

:stare:

They’re just so caught up with wantin’ to support me and all that they tend to get a bit shirty with other Gym Challengers. Sorry if they caused you any trouble.

So you’re a Gym Challenger, too? Team Yell, was it? Pretty impressive that you already have a set of fans to call your own!

Ilikeyourhair!

Eh?

I like your haircut! I don’t recognize it. What’s it called?

Well, I dunno if it HAS a name. I just got it from me barber back in Spikemuth…

You’re from Spikemuth? Are you into Punk?

Well, I would object to that, that bein’ a stereotype and all…

Aw, bollocks, I’m sorry –

…But you’re absolutely right, I am. Best city for punk in Galar, it is.

Ooh, do you ever go to shows? If I go, how do I tell which shows I should go to?

Well, I’d say the first thing to look for is…

… And how’d she check?

I don’t want to say in public, but…

While you to whisper to each other, I’m off to bed. It’s under “Hop”, please.

Concierge: Ah, I see it. Here’s your key, sir.

Escop annool :stare:.

I don’t know what that means, but I catch your meaning. Wait, was that East Cameran?

Well, yeah, but we call it Munethic. And East Camer Muneth, though both names work just as well.

I’m a tad jealous, Cameran’s all but extinct down south. I never had the time to learn it.

They teach us in school, and by the time we’re in 4th form, they want us to be able t’ use it in…

…So we agree: Cameran wool is better, but Munethic WEAVING is better?

Aye, but only when we’re talking about –

Budew Drop Inn - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Concierge: EXCUSE me, ladies, but I believe you both have an appointment in the morning? It IS half past 2.

Ah, bollocks.

Ah shite! I oughta get to bed. Sorry to cut this short, but –

No, no, we both need a little sleep. It was wonderful talking to you, though.

Concierge: Your key, miss.

Thanks. Same :shobon:. Talk with you later, Gloria.

:wave:

Concierge: I see that the league has booked a room for you. And if I might, thank you for helping us out of a sticky situation with those hooligans earlier. I hope you have a pleasant stay here with us. Sleep well.

Plannin’ on it.

To make it clear: East Camer/Muneth is Wales, South Camer is Scotland, and North Galar/Galar Proper is England. Greater Galar (or just Galar) is the whole island and Old Camer is Galar Proper and Muneth. Also, thanks to Black Robe for the Welsh info.

Also if you catch what I’m referencing with Zacian riding a cart, I don’t know how you got in that deep, but welcome to the club.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 12, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Holy #$#%, you've really expanded the story of this game already and I love it.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

:allears: Your exposition and character writing are a delight.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Might be worth checking out a bit of the Crown Tundra lore since it adds an entire sub-region deep down south it seems like you could integrate into Gloria's history rants, but you don't really need it for nothing, no. And Isle of Armor just takes place on someone's private island, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Falconier111 posted:

Also, thanks to Black Robe for the Welsh info.

No worries, I'm really enjoying what you're doing so far :)

And yes, the DLC does add a couple of legendaries, but nothing essential to the story.