Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

I need the thread to make sure I’m not horribly misrepresenting how actual British people talk (even though I’m pretty sure the game does that too).

Gor blimey Mary Poppins, as a native Brit I'll 'appily take a stick-and-bucket over 'ow you treat God's own mother tongue, innit!

I was trying to squeeze in a "Nidoqueen's English" in there but it wouldn't quite fit.

Also as far as the University system goes, even if Hop didn't get the grades to match one of his offers, he could always go through "clearing" which is where Unis try to fill up any spare spaces they have, and students who didn't do as well as expected see where will take them. Or he could take a Foundation Year course which is usually to top up your education if you want to take a certain course but didn't take the right A-levels to lead up to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

i am not :britain:, however: while I've heard "bollocks" used as an alternative to "ah, gently caress", I've literally never heard "the dog's bollocks". i'm pretty sure that one is a myth told to us americans

Nope, it's the honest truth, though I think it's a bit more London-regional than that common UK-wide.

An in-depth breakdown of British profanity would probably end up longer than the game, but I'll chime in as and when I can. "Bollocks!" does indeed mean "ah, gently caress" as in what you might say when you walk all the way to the shops then realise you forgot your wallet, but it can also mean "bullshit", as in "you're talking a load of bollocks there mate".

As for a :britain:post, Leon's Charizard is almost red and almost a dragon, so let's make it Welsh and call it Boyo.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

Chewtle's evolved form is pretty boss though. If it fits, name him Monsnapitan

Seconding this, I love it. And what could be better for such a hated Pokemon than to make him French?

Crosspeice posted:

Pokemon AND English profanity? Are you making this LP just for me?!

Also I have some Scottish background,

You know what we need while we're in not-Scotland? We need the Pokemon world equivalent of "Yer Da sells Avon".
Yer Da trains Zubats?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Black Robe posted:

Yer da sells Pokedolls.

Yer da catches Digimon.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Wait do we know if the dog is a Good Boy or a Good Girl? Because it might need to be called Philip.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Oh god those curry recipes.

TOAST CURRY. DRY PASTA CURRY. SWEET FRIED FOOD CURRY.
We are now 100% confirmed to be in :britain:.

Also, if our Axew will eventually evolve into a Haxorus then surely we have to name it L33t.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Black Robe posted:

Putting curry sauce on your chips is a common thing here in Wales! (This is the first of many Welsh-related posts.) This is emphatically not the same thing as putting chips in your curry. That would be weird. And we definitely don't add toast or pasta.

I would love to know where the researchers were eating that they formed this opinion of British food. Yes, we like curry, and yes, some of the curry dishes are uniquely British and only loosely based on actual ethnic curries, but they're still made with meat and vegetables and normal ingredients...

I'm pretty sure you can get curry sauce in any chippy in the country. But mixing all the fried food into a pot! (Though I assume that Scotland will happily do you a deep-fried Mars Bar vindaloo.:scotland:)

And there's normal ingredients, and then there's us putting raisins and sultanas into curry.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Welcome to Motostoke, our first big town (as the unskippable montage suggests). Depending on who you ask, it’s either based on Edinburgh, York, or Manchester.

Given how red-brick industrial the place is, I'm definitely thinking Manchester. Both York and Edinburgh have much more of an olde-worlde charm, but Manchester is very Industrial Revolution. The huge steam engines are a little over-the-top but do suit it very well.

quote:

Basically, League Cards are baseball trading cards, or at least that’s the American equivalent; I’m not sure what the British equivalent would be.

Do you have Top Trumps card in America? (No relation to a... certain person. Though I'm sure I heard that they've renamed the card game to avoid the connection.)

quote:

Well, you heard the man. Whatever number we choose will stick with us permanently; we have to wear the uniform every time we have a Gym battle so we’ll have to look at it for the rest of the game, and we can’t change the number after the fact. Voting for our number will end in 11 PM UST (5 PM central) tomorrow! Uniform numbers are three characters; choose any three numbers and tell me why you chose them. Winner gets a naming credit for later.

Hmmm. I was going to suggest 007 for the late Sean Connery, but given that he actively promoted violence against women, I'm thinking not. Let's go with the classic old System Shock code of 451.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Mudbray is cute. It is a horse. Horses are cute, and big, and in a different game Gloria could be riding hers.

It's even cuter than that, it's a donkey!
Of course, if we got both a Mudbray and a Klink then we could get our rear end in gear.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I hadn't heard the story of Murphy before, but having looked it up I don't think we'll do better than naming ours after a war hero who won the RSPCA Purple Cross. https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL25365/

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Also, I just found the most wonderful document. It turns out Motostoke really is Manchester!

That's an amazing read, I'm looking forward to seeing more of these places in the LP!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

God, I love it :allears:.
GIVE US THE CHORUS YOU COWARDS

Yeah, Dietrich is definitely a great name for our to-be-punk Toxel.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Finally, I’ve come to a conclusion: I will not be visiting the Isle of Armor. I have plans for how I’m going plot the rest of the LP and there just isn’t enough room to shove the entire island in. But the real reason? They left the U out of Armour :argh:

But that's precisely why you should go. Because the only thing missing from the Isle of Armor is U!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I have a name to suggest for our Drifloon. We need something inflatable, terrifying, and British. Let's call it Mr Blobby.

(Not terrified yet? Check out this footage from the now-defunct Mr Blobby theme park. Horror really kicks in at about 6 minutes. This was a legit theme park, not a deliberately horror-themed one or anything. People actually thought children would enjoy this.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

For those who aren't familiar with Mr Blobby:

One of the biggest TV hits in the UK in the 90's was Noel's House Party, a variety show aimed primarily at children. A recurring character was Mr Blobby, a mascot character who was a whirlwind of slapstick chaos everywhere he went, cheerfully bowling over stage equipment, sets, co-stars and himself while yelling his heavily-distorted cry of "blobby blobby blobby!". A kid in the 90's would either absolutely love the madcap antics, or sleep with the lights on in case he ate you - or both! He was a massive breakout character for an already hugely popular show, getting his own hit single as well as multiple attempts at theme parks.

Honestly I think his name would be perfect for a Stufful/Bewear if you ever use one.

It's important to note that Mr Blobby was deliberately bad. One of the regular segments in Noel's House Party was the "Gotcha Oscars", where they'd put a celebrity in some sort of dumb situation and prank them - in this case, telling them that they were a guest star on a children's TV programme and that Mr Blobby was a popular kids character. The celeb would be asked to do something, then this lovely parody of a mascot character would supposedly do the same thing, but really just knock things over, trash the set, and generally poo poo over everything to try and make the celeb lose their temper on camera.

What fun we had. Those long evenings in front of the TV just flew by.

What the hell kind of bullshittery is this place? I mean, I know that half our history is basically us just being the evil empire, but the other half is us trying to pretend to ourselves that we weren't.

I think we should swap on the grounds that Dietrich deserves better than being stuck on our B-team, and can spread her wings and go punch dragons on her own.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Route 6 is a bit of an oddball, in that its geography doesn’t really match up with anything in Britain (as far as I’m aware). There MIGHT be a stretch of rocky desert somewhere, but I’ve never heard of it. Nice ruins, though. I’ll take this time to discuss something else. I believe I mentioned that I’ve been developing a theory, and I believe I’m on to something.

It would be lovely if we had our own version of the Petra temple carved into Cheddar Gorge, but, alas, our ancestors were too busy drawing dicks on every hillside.

And while I don't know where Stow-On-Side is supposed to be, the fact that we have a town whose name is basically Carry-on Luggage is a beautiful thing. I'd love to hear their rivals' football chants.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Oh, missed it then, but I think the secret meaning of a town's name is enough to qualify for a :britain:post. You mind?

Heh, I wouldn't say no! Though it occurred to me to look up the name, and while it most calls to mind Stoke-on-Trent (a fairly nondescript city in the Midlands), according to Wiki there's a parish of Stowe in Buckinghamshire - the name of Stowe referring to "a holy place of great significance". Though I don't know if either have a magical ancient mural with hidden statues behind.
(On-Side could be a reference to anything from Teeside to Merseyside to the offside rule in football, which is incomprehensibly arcane.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Quackles posted:

Wait, you're saying football doesn't have a magical ancient mural with hidden statues behind?

1966 isn't exactly ancient...

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

There's also a Stowmarket in Suffolk, with the same root of a significant place. So yeah, Stow-On-Side's name means an important place on the side of something (a river? A lake? A gorge? Who knows)

Well, the magical mural is on the side of the cliff, maybe it's that rather than the geographical location of the town?

(Now I'm wondering if Galar has an equivalent of Weston-super-Mare.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

limeicebreakers posted:

I second Baklava. Or. Hm. Bugklava. I'll see myself out.

Yeah, I'm trying to shoehorn a pun in there like Baklawva or Baklobtsa, but it isn't really coming together so I'll just chime in as another voice for Baklava.

And now I want some baklava, haven't had any in ages.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

My first time through, I was not expecting to see this creature. I didn’t get a good glimpse of it for a while, I just thought it was some weird centipede thing. But no, Falinks is a miniature phalanx. I thought it was just about the best thing ever, caught one, named it Hunk Bunch, and kept it in my party for a while – only to learn it was a gimmick Pokémon outclassed by the rest of my party. There’s a reason I specifically cited it in the OP as a disappointment :arghfist::(.

I've just looked it up and I'll tell you why I'm so disappointed by Falinks. Not because it's an underperformer. But because the Spartan Phalanx-themed pokemon for some unfathomable reason doesn't have an evolution into a Roman Legion. I mean come on, it's a no-brainer!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

I know Britain is supposed to be cold, but I didn’t know it was supposed to be THAT cold.
You say this at the beginning of December? We have not yet even begun to bitch about the British weather!

I'm going to offer a dissenting voice on our Grapploct and suggest that it be called the Dadliest catch.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
In all honesty from a :britain: point of view, finally finding the lifeless, dead shithole almost feels like coming home. It being a complete disappointment on top of that only makes it more so.

I''m going to throw in the name Briggs for The Snowman

inflatablefish fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Magikarp has always been my favourite Pokemon purely for the whole swimming-up-the-waterfall snippet of folklore.