Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Temp controlled kettles rule. It's been a while since I've done tea ceremony, but I think it can be pretty high heat since you're not really steeping the tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir

I sort of regret getting really into tea nerding before coffee, because I have a temp controlled kettle and also kind of want a gooseneck one, but my kettle is still functional and the goosenecks with temp controlled cost like twice as much lol, and I can't in any way justify buying a new one before the old breaks

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Escape From Noise posted:

Temp controlled kettles rule. It's been a while since I've done tea ceremony, but I think it can be pretty high heat since you're not really steeping the tea.

I'm probably being too british about it, but the thought of a kettle that does not actually get the water to boiling by design still feels wierd lol

For a nation that drinks a ridiculous amount of tea, we sure are doing it the laziest way possible :v:

Escape From Noise

NumptyScrub posted:

I'm probably being too british about it, but the thought of a kettle that does not actually get the water to boiling by design still feels wierd lol

For a nation that drinks a ridiculous amount of tea, we sure are doing it the laziest way possible :v:

You don't want to make green tea with boiling water. Believe me! I mean other than matcha

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

NumptyScrub

Over here we are like "11:20 drink tea errday", but the most common method is still using supermarket quality black tea, in bags, and drowning it in milk and/or sugar

This is all new process to me lol

NumptyScrub

Ok so I did a thing and have a dumb question, I assume I should remove this plastic tube / sheath before actual use, right?

Escape From Noise

NumptyScrub posted:

Ok so I did a thing and have a dumb question, I assume I should remove this plastic tube / sheath before actual use, right?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that's just for packing.

NumptyScrub

Saw a cute bowl that's arriving Friday, then it is time to see how terrible I am at matcha :buddy:

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Get ready to enjoy some tea!! Get pumped to whisk!!

NumptyScrub

I am most intrigued by how different it will be to me previously adding matcha to hot water in a mug and just stirring; expecting a different texture at the least :sweatdrop:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
I'm about to pour some boiling water on a teabag, like a caveman

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

NumptyScrub

It is the british way :wotwot:

99% of my tea consumption is pouring hot water on a teabag, I feel trepidation at this new fangled technology

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

time for some tension tamer I think

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Vivian Darkbloom

any recs for an electric kettle where you can put in the temperature?

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Enjoying a jasmine oolong

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's like $100 but i've been happy with the cuisinart one. I mostly just use it for boiling, but it will do other temps and you can set your own. it keeps the water hot for half an hour which is lifechanging.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

NumptyScrub posted:

It is the british way :wotwot:

99% of my tea consumption is pouring hot water on a teabag, I feel trepidation at this new fangled technology

yorkshire gold is my fav bagged tea and it used to be more expensive than my normal twinnings irish breakfast but it was much much cheaper today at the store so i guess i'll just drink it all the danged time.

Escape From Noise

I think my favorite black tea is probably Yunnan gold leaf.

NumptyScrub

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have one of these but basically hunt for a good deal, there should be something that fits requirements on the internets and even better if Jeffy B doesn't make bank on it

As long as the temp control actually works that's the main requirement

poverty goat

i had a weird dream where i made tea and came to byob to post about it but there were a bunch of different tea threads and i didn't know which one was the right one

Escape From Noise

poverty goat posted:

i had a weird dream where i made tea and came to byob to post about it but there were a bunch of different tea threads and i didn't know which one was the right one

Post in all of them imho

actionjackson

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

i have this one https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling-enfinigy-cool-touch-kettle-pro-53101-500/53101-500-0.html

has temps of 140, 160, 175, 190 (coffee), and 212. 212 obviously is boiling, but the lower temps are good for white tea

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
this one is interesting, it comes with a tea cage to deprive your tea of its freedoms

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/salton-temperature-control-glass-kettle-with-tea-steeper-0432762p.html#srp

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Vivian Darkbloom

Dr. Honked posted:

this one is interesting, it comes with a tea cage to deprive your tea of its freedoms

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/salton-temperature-control-glass-kettle-with-tea-steeper-0432762p.html#srp

This looks convenient but it would get stained with tea before long

Escape From Noise

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This looks convenient but it would get stained with tea before long

Then you just soak it with hot water and a little oxygen bleach!

Dip Viscous

denture cleaning tablets are really good at cleaning tea vessels

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

enjoying a Sleepytime, with vanilla!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I just had some super cheap chamomile that is from Croatia or something and is $1.25 for 20bags!!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have received tea that I mailed myself from Seattle, and I should be receiving tea soon from a person where we had beef, but we squashed it earlier this week and now it's all good and I'm getting very exciting teas from them.

Escape From Noise

Drinking the jasmine pearl tea manifisto got me for secret satan! Almost out. I should go get more in Chinatown

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

Genmaicha for a stormy morning

Vivian Darkbloom

Dip Viscous posted:

denture cleaning tablets are really good at cleaning tea vessels

I'll give that a shot. Dish detergent, vinegar, and isopropyl alcohol definitely don't have any effect.

Escape From Noise

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'll give that a shot. Dish detergent, vinegar, and isopropyl alcohol definitely don't have any effect.

Soaking with a bit of baking soda and hot water also works well.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m sippin chamomile

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Exciting teas arrived. Other unexpected and exciting teas have also been consumed.

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
took the kids sled riding and to reward myself made a hot toddy with chai and rum

super sweet best pal

Made some Arnold Palmers recently. Real good.

Escape From Noise

Drinking the last of the tea I got from Manifisto.

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Due to weather and a rather unreasonable amount of my job now being outdoors due to COVID, I have invested in a thermos for the purposes of hot tea for hours.

I have some questions, though!

1) Is there a good way to brew actual tea tea in a thermos without it sitting too long and going bitter? I've been doing herbal tea because you can let it sit forever and it'll still taste decent, but I wouldn't mind alternatives.

2) Are there any gadgets that make brewing loose leaf tea in a thermos not a massive headache? Mine's one of the larger ones.

3) Someone recommend me some herbal teas they like? I've mostly been doing peppermint and Tazo's wild sweet orange but some variety would be nice! The only requirement I've got is that I'm not super fond of blends with cinnamon in them because it's easy for the cinnamon to get overpowering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i think you would want to brew the tea as normal for 4-5 min or whatever is appropriate for your flavor tea, and then strain it into the thermos and use the thermos to just keep the brewed and delicious tea hot instead of putting the leaves in the thermos.