Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
It’s this kind of talk that makes me wet.

400-500hp out of this car is literally my fantasy. But brakes and suspension first. You know, for safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wuss

Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong

Agrikk posted:

It’s this kind of talk that makes me wet.

400-500hp out of this car is literally my fantasy. But brakes and suspension first. You know, for safety.

Yup always safety first :wink: driveshaft loop welded in place and an aluminum or steel driveshaft if you push it over 400 horses as the factory iron maybe wont hold it. Torino should have a 9" rear end already which will handle that power, but a nice set of Wilwood dynalite discs and a new MC will make sure it can stop as well as any modern car, though you'll need to get used to cadence braking if you aren't already.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm glad I was right about it being in good shape and having all of the maintenance records, that's a great car. Good luck to you and your cousin, that money should be a big help to your cousin and whenever you work on or drive that car, it will remind you of your uncle.

Just make sure that you check the weather stripping before you take it out in the Seattle rain.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just make sure that you check the weather stripping before you take it out in the Seattle rain.

That is a really good point. A garage car in the Bay Area might not be weather resistant anymore.

My cousin gets out of the hospital on Monday, presuming her GI system is working again. She wants me to have the car so I’m less stressed now about the car getting away from me.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I wrote a check for $1000 as a deposit towards a mechanic inspection of the car.

Pending a “good” evaluation (whatever that means) I’ll write another check for the remaining balance, paying a total of $3000 for the car, plus the cost of the mechanic.

At this point my aunt considers the car mine, so that’s that. :D I’m excited about that but they found cancer in my cousin’s esophagus, so that’s pretty grim news. :smith:

The next question for all y’all is what should I have the mechanic look at so I know what I’m getting into?

Right now I’m thinking:
Basic tune up
Clutch inspection
Brake inspection
Subframe integrity
Weather seals

What else should I have them look at?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 28, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If they have a paint thickness gauge, have them go over the corners of the car and check for bondo. I doubt you'll find any, but it would be a minor red flag if it had some. It would mean it might have had some fender benders, and that there could be rust lurking.

Most shops though if you ask for a pre-purchase inspection they'll give you what you need. They check for leaks, and overall condition and maintenance of the critical systems. They also might drive it to check things like shock and brake performance.

Ideally you want a mechanic that is used to inspecting classic cars, not the midas down the street. I was looking to have my carbs adjusted and trying to find any shop with an exhaust gas analyzer, and one shop I called actually said "they make adjustable carburetors?"

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah, agree completely. It may actually be worthwhile to contact a local classic car club and see if they can recommend a shop.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

LloydDobler posted:

"they make adjustable carburetors?"

For some people the story ends here with carburetors. For others, the adventure has only just begun! :unsmigghh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Here's some inspiration for you OP :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNAajvS0pnk

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Man that sound is :discourse:.

Also, I'm super noob at leaf springs, but is it supposed to move like that?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MrOnBicycle posted:

:lol:
Yeah, leaf spring vehicles tend to bounce a bit, especially with a bunch of power applied. This isn't going to handle like a modern car without a fuckton of work. The suspension shares more in common with a '98 Ford Ranger than a modern Mustang.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

*cough*

https://www.heidts.com/part/torino4link-1970-1971-torino-4-link-kit/

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Something about old Fords... They just sound good when they're loud as gently caress.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think you might be referring to the traction bars or "slapper bars". They act as a temporary control arm. Under hard acceleration, they slap against the frame or spring mount to prevent excessive axle windup. Under normal driving, they just flop around and the leaf spring acts normally.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I think you might be referring to the traction bars or "slapper bars". They act as a temporary control arm. Under hard acceleration, they slap against the frame or spring mount to prevent excessive axle windup. Under normal driving, they just flop around and the leaf spring acts normally.

Ah yes, it was the thing flapping around I was wondering about. Had no idea slapper bars existed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We called them traction bars, never heard of slapper bars before. You can actually see them working when he hits the gas.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

50% down payment sent. The balance upon completion of mechanical inspection.

I now need to figure out how to insure a 1970 car with no bluebook value. I just spoke with one classic car place and they would only insure it if it was a "weekend car" that was stored inside. Does anyone have any suggestions for insuring a 50 year old daily driver?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hagerty is the go to, I believe.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I insured my Scout as a weekend driver stored inside with Amica. Its outside under a tarp, and I drive it whenever I drat well please.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

I insured my Scout as a weekend driver stored inside with Amica. Its outside under a tarp, and I drive it whenever I drat well please.

this works fine until you want to file a big dollar claim and the questions start

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this works fine until you want to file a big dollar claim and the questions start

Most insurance companies will have a "declared value" coverage option, just have to discuss with your agent. Depending on the agent / company, they may shop different underwriters, but it is definitely do-able.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

meatpimp posted:

Most insurance companies will have a "declared value" coverage option, just have to discuss with your agent. Depending on the agent / company, they may shop different underwriters, but it is definitely do-able.

This.

My friend has an FD RX-7 that he dailies in the summer and its insured with the same company as all his other vehicles under a declared value policy. (Which he just had to bump up since the prices on them are shooting through the roof).

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'm quite happy with Hagerty. My ITR has been insured with them for over a decade. They do specify it cannot be my daily driver, but do not limit how much or how often I drive it. However it is also supposed to be in my garage at night. They've been pretty strict about that as well, so much so that they called me out nearly immediately after closing on the sale of my old house. I was kinda surprised because I didn't inform them of this happening at all. The car at that time was in my alternate storage location, my childhood home, an address they also knew and accepted so things were cool up until I changed my billing address to the new house. This house does not have a visible garage in the front, and they called to tell me my plan was to be cancelled without some sort of proof or attestation that the house did indeed have a garage and the car was stored within it. It was a simple video to shoot, but yeah. They're big on the garage thing.

Their magazine is a nice bonus, too.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 13, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, that's definitely a good way to go.

What I was saying is that saying your car is garaged and not daily driven when you are in fact not doing that is a good way to potentially get a claim denied, if insurance cares enough to investigate you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What I was saying is that saying your car is garaged and not daily driven when you are in fact not doing that is a good way to potentially get a claim denied, if insurance cares enough to investigate you.

I was referred to American Collectibles by my insurance company and the guy was flat out "If you don't store it indoors under lock and key and plan on using it as anything other than a Sunday cruiser we can't cover you." It was crazy how insistent he was. I'm tempted to call him back and say "Erm, yeah we found space in our garage and no this won't be my daily driver" and see what he says.

I'll look into Hagerty, but it looks like I'll be in the same situation with them.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

So do you not have another car at the moment?

I don't know if it works the same in the US but here in the UK you will not get sensibly priced insurance for a classic car if it is your only car. If you want to drive classics it works out cheaper here to buy the smallest £200 beater you can and insure that as your main car (you don't need to actually drive it anywhere if you don't want to), then you can insure a classic (or more) on a cheap additional classic-only policy and legitimately say that it is not your main vehicle.
getting limited mileage allowances and excluding commuting (or doing just 'occasional' commuting on it) drops the price too.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

This will be the third car in the household. One is for the missus and one is mine, but I was planning on selling my current daily driver and using this one to keep my driveway from looking like a parking lot. Plus the Torino will be way more fun than an 8-year old Altima hybrid.

Looks like I have some homework to do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are you looking at comprehensive? Unless there's a high risk of theft I think I'd just roll with liability. At least here you can buy an entire car every few years for the amount they want to insure an older car.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Agrikk posted:

This will be the third car in the household. One is for the missus and one is mine, but I was planning on selling my current daily driver and using this one to keep my driveway from looking like a parking lot. Plus the Torino will be way more fun than an 8-year old Altima hybrid.
When I spoke with Hagerty they insisted my spouse and I had to have one car each to use as a daily driver over and above what I was trying to insure. Just so you know that's a consideration...

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Agrikk posted:

Looks like I have some homework to do.

Are you planning on using this as your daily driver?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Are you planning on using this as your daily driver?

I was, yes. But now after this, I'm not so sure...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you want to use it as your daily a stated value policy should work but it will likely be expensive.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Just go to an insurance broker that isn't related to classic cars and say "Hey I have this old car that I paid $x for, can I get the bare minimum cost insurance to legally drive it on the roads please." And see what they come back with.

Then make sure you can afford another car if you total it.

You don't have a loan against the car (I hope) so you don't need anything other than that.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think that for the time being you should garage and work on the Torino as a weekend vehicle that you can enjoy without the pressure of making it a daily.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Nope. No loan. Just a straight cash deal.

And it turns out that the car was insured liability-only. It's one thing to pay three grand for a car and walk away if it gets totaled. To me it's something else entirely to pay three grand for the car and another 10-20 in parts and labor and then walk away from it if it gets wrecked. I think I'm going to see about dropping the classic car angle and see about basic liability now, and as it crosses some mythical threshold switch to a stated value policy.

Dang. This really got complicated, didn't it? "I want to give you a rad car" turned into something else. Not that I'm looking a gift horsetorino in the mouth, though. I can't wait to have its steering wheel in my hands...

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

got off on a technicality posted:

When I spoke with Hagerty they insisted my spouse and I had to have one car each to use as a daily driver over and above what I was trying to insure. Just so you know that's a consideration...

Best way to get off on a technicality here is what I call the insurance patsy. Mine has long been a 1993 Honda Accord wagon, which I do actually daily drive, or did in the before time, during the long long ago. Regardless I highly recommend a beater with a heater in the fleet, mine is $250 a year to insure and about $20 in taxes and registration fees. Within my policy it's listed as my primary vehicle, and I think the Odyssey is listed as my wife's, my son is also on a 91 Accord Wagon, but he's $100 a month cause teen driver and poo poo. Then the Miata stands alone without a primary driver, and the ITR is on Hagerty.

Another thing to consider in the insurance world is an umbrella policy. These give you liability coverage into the millions for not a lot of money. I think it's something to consider when you drive a special interest vehicle. You get into any sort of scrape and people are gonna think you've got a dollar or two. Minimum liabilities vary by state, but my state is laughably low at $25,000 per person for bodily injury, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury (so I guess just covering two people max), and $10,000 per accident for property. I'm fairly convinced you can hobble out the ER with a $25,000 bill for a stubbed toe these days, let alone a car crash. It sucks but our society operates in a way that makes it a lot easier to lose wealth quickly than grow it steadily.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

angryrobots posted:

I think that for the time being you should garage and work on the Torino as a weekend vehicle that you can enjoy without the pressure of making it a daily.

I'm going to second this. Essentially, you want to take a 50 year old car you've never driven and depend on it to start up every time and get you everywhere you need to.

At least to start, keep the daily driver and have this as a second car. You'll be able to take your time and do things right. Getting stranded sucks. Being forced to work on your car because you have to get to work tomorrow sucks too. I know you said your wife had her own car. I imagine sometimes you'll be able to borrow hers but not always.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I own nothing but classics, and they're just insured like normal cars. They're not worth enough to worry about more than liability, so there's that.

I'd suggest insuring it with just liability until you get it all built up and have some real money into it, like you were talking about. You're going to be driving it like a normal car, so I don't see what's wrong with insuring it as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm gonna go against the grain and suggest at least having comprehensive and the lowest rental coverage on it.

Comp is cheap, and if the car wanders away in the middle of the night (older cars in particular are downright stupid easy to steal), you've at least got a rental to drive until they cut you a check.