Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man what a rollercoaster this thread was. I expected to see some rust bucket with moss and poo poo, but that looks clean and nice? Without knowing anything about prices for these in the US, I'd say that it sucks that you didn't get it for free, but $4k will at least go toward something good.
Or your could "meet in the middle" with your cousin and the aunt and pay a bit less, but both of them get part of their wishes. Who actually owns the car (maybe you said and I missed that part)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Man that sound is :discourse:.

Also, I'm super noob at leaf springs, but is it supposed to move like that?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I think you might be referring to the traction bars or "slapper bars". They act as a temporary control arm. Under hard acceleration, they slap against the frame or spring mount to prevent excessive axle windup. Under normal driving, they just flop around and the leaf spring acts normally.

Ah yes, it was the thing flapping around I was wondering about. Had no idea slapper bars existed.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Lol that poo poo quote reminded me of when I left my bicycle at some place to get it sorted (adjust gears, replace some minor parts etc) and they came back with a $250 bill or something. Didn't even put new screws in the fenders so they were hanging loose. This was a "reputable" shop. Only reason I did it was because I was stressed out with exams and poo poo for med school.

Lesson? Do poo poo yourself even if you don't have the time (which I hadn't) because you'll know exactly what has been done, bodge or not. You'll learn tons and save tons of money. With your running and driving car I'd also take it slow and get a feel for it before swapping stuff out. :)