Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my ikea desk looks nice but it has the wobbles :( I think I will build a new frame/legs for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Achmed Jones posted:

it took me a shamefully long time to realize that if i just unplugged it it'd stop trying to eat me

we have to unplug ours at work because we don't get provisioned enough power points

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hey same. I am gonna build a fixed floating desk with a 2x4 frame and some pre-manufactured benchtop panel

It will probably be easier to put drawers in than to do a nice mitred box around the frame (I have a lovely table saw) but still mulling that one

kinda like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBmcZbcO9qs

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i’m gonna dig a hole in the ground and use my concrete driveway as one giant desk

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

If me and my partner are going to move to bigger apartment and I will have a space for it I think I will get standing desk for work and my current small sitting desk for shitposting/games

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
IKEA THYGE is a good budget option

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

my dream is a adjustable desk that I can effortlessly change from standing to sitting but this things cost a lot

e: ikea SKARSTA looks nice

RustyKnight fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 27, 2020

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

its pretty easy if you get your boards already jointed. then its just a matter of how many clamps you have.

it'll probably require me edge jointing the boards on my piece of poo poo table saw and buying some more pipe clamps

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I want a big wooden "gently caress you" desk with little hidden compartments and poo poo

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W__qCFWi1KA

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Bloody posted:

it'll probably require me edge jointing the boards on my piece of poo poo table saw and buying some more pipe clamps

thats a lot of work and potentially a lot of ways to gently caress it up. You can buy maple butcherblock for decently cheap.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

President Beep posted:

i’m gonna dig a hole in the ground and use my concrete driveway as one giant desk

same but i'm just gonna get in the hole and lie down and wait for the grim reaper to catch up to me.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

thats a lot of work and potentially a lot of ways to gently caress it up. You can buy maple butcherblock for decently cheap.

yep, i am v aware of the myriad ways it can go terribly, but i might gently caress around and do it anyway. because i am an idiot.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or just do it out of baltic birch plywood. apparently normal hardwood plywoods, even A-1 poo poo, have random bullshit for inner layers?? but BB doesnt?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

same but i'm just gonna get in the hole and lie down and wait for the grim reaper to catch up to me.

heres rotor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokushinbutsu

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i'd dig a really nice plywood desk, maybe with a thick, clear lacquer or someting. nice, light color.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

or just do it out of baltic birch plywood. apparently normal hardwood plywoods, even A-1 poo poo, have random bullshit for inner layers?? but BB doesnt?

doesn't have to be baltic birch, though furniture-grade stuff is commonly birch, yeah. just look for the wood with the most cores.

(amd.jpg)

good plywood is made of many layers of thin veneer laminated together. bad plywood is a few thicker slices. bad plywood warps more, tears out when working, and has more internal voids to surprise you.

cheap poo poo

good poo poo

if you just want something guaranteed good, buy the high end appleply premium veneer product https://www.statesind.com/the-appleply-story/ and call it a day

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 27, 2020

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

yeah baltic birch ply is really nice and won't have any appreciable voids. Its expensive tho, especially in thicknesses where it's adequate for a tabletop.

edging becomes an issue

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/getting-the-edge-plywood-edge-treatments

i like pocket screws cause you get the option of replacing the edging if it gets dinged up.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ohhhhhh baby

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

goddamn. look at that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fact: i have been to koh samui and i have seen this dude

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

doesn't have to be baltic birch, though furniture-grade stuff is commonly birch, yeah. just look for the wood with the most cores.

(amd.jpg)

good plywood is made of many layers of thin veneer laminated together. bad plywood is a few thicker slices. bad plywood warps more, tears out when working, and has more internal voids to surprise you.

cheap poo poo

good poo poo

if you just want something guaranteed good, buy the high end appleply premium veneer product https://www.statesind.com/the-appleply-story/ and call it a day

that stuff looks nice and they have distributors here but the distribs all look uhhh somewhat higher volume than a guy in a pickup truck asking for one sheet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a ha i have found a new lumberyard to check out either for good plywood (13-ply A-1 3/4" stuff + that appleply stuff) or lumber

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah the place I use out here has a $500 minimum order for local delivery, but as long as you're willing to haul it out of there yourself they'll be happy to sell you one sheet. Bring a buddy so you can lift it off the stack and carry it out the front door.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah the place I use out here has a $500 minimum order for local delivery, but as long as you're willing to haul it out of there yourself they'll be happy to sell you one sheet. Bring a buddy so you can lift it off the stack and carry it out the front door.

macbeath?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my desk is made of a single piece of pressure molded 11 layer birch plywood

it's also too small and a little wobbly but I got a good deal on it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

macbeath?

moore newton. macbeath is p deece too but they shut down their bayview store

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

moore newton. macbeath is p deece too but they shut down their bayview store

im so mad about that

moore newton looks good but they're even farther than emeryville - are the better than macbeath?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rotor posted:

macbeath?

the scottish ply

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

President Beep posted:

the scottish ply

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

President Beep posted:

the scottish ply

beep !!!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

11 layer birch plywood

yospos, birch!

HangOverDeMayo
May 6, 2005
Hangover so hung, it beats a horse

Hed posted:

Thanks was looking at these guys for a solid one... do you have any accessories that either sucked or you wish you had gotten. I was curious if putting my computer in that bracket would be cool or annoying.

I recently bought the V2-Commercial C-frame with a 46" carbonized bamboo. Lots of money but I wanted a nice standing desk if I'm going to stare into the abyss of a computer screen daily at home.

I got the desk pad, 8 outlet mountable surge, and the soft roll casters. All are good and worthwhile. The mountable surge protector is probably the best out of it all.
I also bought the desk extension and computer under hang but have not installed either yet. So I cannot tell you if it is worthwhile but I assume the desk extension makes the computer bracket better.

The biggest downside is the Fedex shipping because it looked like they were having strong man throwing competitions with the boxes.

Also, you can just buy the legs if you want to do your own top.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’m not sure the commercial legs would be worth it. I got the regular ones and they are pretty robust

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it sucks that IKEA stopped making the GALANT

that was a good rear end desk

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

President Beep posted:

the scottish ply

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

it sucks that IKEA stopped making the GALANT

that was a good rear end desk

ur desk is the GOOFUS

HangOverDeMayo
May 6, 2005
Hangover so hung, it beats a horse

akadajet posted:

I’m not sure the commercial legs would be worth it. I got the regular ones and they are pretty robust

They probably are not but I do like the fact that the legs telescope from the bottom instead of top and the bottom cross bar makes an okay foot rest.

I am missing out on that sweet, sweet silicon valley hammock though.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

i bought a hardwood sit/stand desk from these dudes awhile back and have been super happy with it, op
https://www.upliftdesk.com/

ya i got one of these its pretty cool.

HangOverDeMayo posted:

the bottom cross bar makes an okay foot rest.

ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like that it has two sets of drawers (on the left and, surprisingly on the right), and they have locks.

I don't like that the side that I don't need to lock has a key, and the side I do need/want to lock doesn't. (It has a drawer for hanging folders, where I keep all my important poo poo.) It has the bitting code on a sticker on the inside but it's an old type that the local locksmiths don't have blanks for anymore.

Good thing my front door has a lock!