Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Hilario Baldness posted:

The only compelling argument I've heard from anarchist primitivism is from the introduction to Ted Kaczynski's collected works (Technological Slavery: The Collected Writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski), as written by David Skrbina.

He makes an analogy about how humanity has been around for about two million years and equates it to about 50 years. The last three months of this 50 years correspond to how long we've had civilization. Our species is the culmination of millions of years of evolution, yet we train ourselves to exist in civilization by ignoring the first 1,990,000+ years of our existence. A fifty year old is somehow supposed to ignore the first 49 3/4 years of their existence? What have we done in those three months of our fifty years? Nearly killed all life on the planet several times, invented world ending weapons, trashed the environment. We (and our ideologies) are the meteor that struck the world sixty million years ago.

As I said, that's the only compelling argument I've heard from the primitivist camp. I read it from the perspective of a Marxist and equated a lot of the evils and problems to the prevailing social order, which in our case is capitalism.

anatomically modern humanity hasn't been around for 2 million years, it's only been around for ~250k years. we didn't train ourselves to exist in civilization, we loving built it. our natural behavior, combined with environmental changes, led to it. arguing that civilization is "unnatural" is nonsense that is predicated on humans somehow existing outside of nature. building civilization is obviously in our nature, because we did it multiple times across multiple epochs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU