Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I ctrl-f'd for it and I don't see anyone talking about Hommage d'Zgougou, so it is my duty to present it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cggCfxMEMQ

"Bernard still accepts this" is one of those quotes that I wish was famous because I think about it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
A big part of it is how Cleo gradually comes to terms with and eventually sheds all of her protective layers in the face of her looming mortality. It's not just about how she interacts with others, but how she sees herself interacting with others, which is why so much of it is focused on things like the hat-buying scene, or all the sequences with mirrors, or the scene where she and her boyfriend have a mundane conversation in a frilly bed while romantic music plays. She's unsympathetic at the beginning because she's playing a part she thinks she's supposed to play, which is gradually picked apart scene by scene, like in the bit where she puts on her record at a cafe and realizes that all of the energy she puts into this big dramatic role as a pop star amounts to nothing more than background noise for people drinking coffee. Eventually, after existentially baring herself to herself, she has a single moment of authentic contact with another human being.

I think the reason I love this movie so much is how it's almost like an essay, with every scene functioning as a self-contained moment of exploration of a different facet of Cleo's problem and journey, so when you put it all together you not only have a character arc, but a study of Cleo and the world around her.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Oh, gosh, several times. Five or six, I think. I haven't watched it in a little while but I think of it often.