Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I have only seen Cleo from 5 to 7, and it may be my favourite of the French New Wave films that I have seen (although, I really love 400 Blows). I am interested in watching more of her films. Looks like Happiness should be my next step.

I have also really wanted to see her documentary on the making-of the Young Girls of Rochefort.

I have recently gotten the Criterion Channel again, so I really have no excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am tempted to go earliest to latest, but depending on the director, I can get burned out on their early films. For me, I just go with their most popular (or highest rated), and then go from there. I find doing it this way gives me a deeper appreciation of their older films, because I can see elements of what they are doing that they did better in their later work.

However, that is an interesting presentation of the films. In my Bergman set, I am pretty sure they just presented his films chronologically.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

No, the Bergman set did something similar, with the idea that it was a "Bergman film festival", so there are headliners, double features, themed nights, and stuff like that.

This is my way of saying that I purchased it and watched exactly one film and one episode of "Scenes".

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I watched "One Sings..." last night, and I am in awe. Just a completely unique film -- it's unlike anything I have seen. It starts with suicide, poverty, and abortion, in a naturalistic way, but the film never feels overly heavy. Sure, the topics are heavy, but the film seems to not present anything as a conflict in the typical way. Instead, it's more of a meditation on the joyousness of friendship.

On a side note, I realize the French, especially in the 70s, were a much different culture. But I was shocked to see full-frontal from the lead actress portraying a 17-year old girl. Also, a bath scene with the teenaged daughter. All of these scenes were shot in a naturalistic way, but it just shows how removed I am from that culture.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I watched Varda by Agnes yesterday.

I was wary about watching a final film as a first introduction by the artist, but it's such a casual and insightful portrait of her many projects. Her career is fascinating and inspiring. I love that she sets aside formalities of cinema, and really many aspects of creative fields, to instead express her intentions and inspirations.

I loved the blend of academic presentation with playful cinematic documentary moments (like the tracking shot scene). It always feels personal, like she's directly addressing the viewer, which was charming and reassuring.

What a life! What a career! What a woman! I can't wait to dig into her films more.

Would you recommend watching this next? Or, do you think I should follow my current path of watching the highest rated films?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I watched Varda by Agnes yesterday.

I was wary about watching a final film as a first introduction by the artist, but it's such a casual and insightful portrait of her many projects. Her career is fascinating and inspiring. I love that she sets aside formalities of cinema, and really many aspects of creative fields, to instead express her intentions and inspirations.

I loved the blend of academic presentation with playful cinematic documentary moments (like the tracking shot scene). It always feels personal, like she's directly addressing the viewer, which was charming and reassuring.

What a life! What a career! What a woman! I can't wait to dig into her films more.

Watched this last night, and I was most struck by the joy of humanity present in so much of her work.

Also, it just made me really want to hang out with her. The art installation/grave for her cat was the sweetest thing -- especially when the shot of the young girl who came back without her friends to be able to experience it.