Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Sanchez sucks now, if they can convince someone he's going to rebound then by all means let him go

DJ needs to come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Sanchez might suck out loud but he got incredibly unlucky this year with balls in play. Go compare his batted ball data to Willy Adames, and then compare their actual statlines, it's ridiculous.

And I usually hate boiling down stuff to "Oh he was just unlucky" but the dude hit the poo poo out of the ball and never got anything to show for it for the entire season. (Higgy absolutely earned his postseason at-bats though, I'm not one of those truthers.)

At some point you need to translate that onto the field, otherwise you end up like Ricky Nolasco where everyone fawns over your peripherals but the results never actually live up to the underlying numbers

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, I'm only willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this season because of how short it was. But also if he can be defensively average, even his 2019 line is above-average catcher output, it's a hosed up position.

Mostly with Gary I just don't see how the Yankees get rid of him and get anything of value, and I don't really see any way they get a real upgrade at C regardless.

The Yankees need more players who hit for average and not guys who hit .180 with suspect defense.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Catchers as a cohort mostly do nothing except hit .180

I mean yeah that isn't wrong

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

It's just how The Post refers to the mayor.

He thinks he's the greatest thing walking the earth

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Plaschke was right all along

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

lol, what a dumb thought. What does that matter at all

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Happ is gone, praise be!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Not wanting Bauer on a one year deal is stupid, that's every teams dream. Good asset on a cost certain team safe deal because there is no long term risk

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It's basically been common knowledge the Red Sox would at the very least investigate bringing Cora back once his suspension was up as soon as they let him go

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

LeMahieu shows how hard it is to evaluate Coors Field players. Rockies fans were bummed when they didn't re-sign him, but no one here thought they were losing a superstar, either.

DJLM in Colorado: .299/.352/.408, 49 HR in 7 seasons
DJLM in New York: .336/.386/.536, 36 dingers in a year and a half (!!!)

Talk radio was roasting Jeff Bridich the other day for letting LeMahieu walk and then giving the exact same 2/$24M contract he got to Daniel Murphy, calling it a fireable offense and I mean... yeah, kinda.

He hits a lot of opposite field dingers to the porch in YS

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Lmao the red sox are dumb and that timing is very typical of their cowardness

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Lmao cano you idiot

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yankees should be all over that but beyond the teams hating each other they are also crying poor so he's probably too expensive ( :lol: )

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

There is no possible way they lost 2 billion dollars unless they lost a physical briefcase with 2 billion dollars of cash in it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Fire Manfred

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Letting DJ walk over what amounts to pocket change for this team is dumb

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

euphronius posted:

If the owners indemnify the players for vaccine related injuries (should they occur) I could see it

Might need a couple hundred million dollar fund or similar

lol good one

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

because MLB revenues are so much lower! The NBA made 8.3 billion to the MLB's tiny 3 billion!

In fact, MLB has claimed that even in a regular season they'd have lost money this season. How? Well, when you account for the fact that somehow; despite increasing revenues year after year, MLB has claimed that, magically, at most, over the last like 5 or 6 years the most profit the league has made is around 250 million more than they spend. How? well, when you define what is baseball revenue and have accountants who can turn 4 million in profit into 2 million in loses, and don't have to open the books to the players union, well, it's not hard.

I thought the NBA didn't make that much money and thats why they have a salary cap and that stupid rear end salary structure they have. Man the players got hosed in their cba

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

A season mostly out of the pandemic vs a season entirely in the pandemic

I meant in general

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Same old Rays but this will probably work out in some way or another for them too

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Imagine if at any point in the last half-decade the Angels went in this hard on acquiring pitching

lol good one

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Cubs definitely lucked their way into a World Series by playing and beating the only other loser franchise that is as inept at winning as them. One of them had to win and the coin just fell on the cubs side with a gift rain storm

It was the MLB equivalent of the Browns and the Lions playing in the Super Bowl

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Popete posted:

Very lucky to have won 103 games in the regular season

Getting to beat the poo poo out of the Pirates and Reds all year will do that

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Every title has a good dose of luck in it, such is the nature of baseball. Often this comes in the form of random mediocre players getting hot at the right time (WS MVP David Eckstein, wild card teams going all the way, the 1988 Dodgers, etc). I just thought it was interesting the Cubs version was like half the roster having career years all at once.

It is weird to me that cubsposters of all people would take offense to this observation.

Same thing happened to the White Sox

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

lmao what a trade

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cleveland spent their budget for the year on announcing a new name for next year

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

loving Yankees, just pay DJ. Stop pretending you are poor and can't afford it

The loving luxury tax is so stupid, ugh

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I feel like Strasburg will outlast Sale, although really who knows

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Signing Kluber in 2021 screams of "we tried" or "look a big name" cause I don't think he has anything left in the tank

e: I mean as anything other than a flier. Depending on him to be an important piece and fill a big hole is laughable

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The thing about DJLM is the Yankees had figured out that both Coors the park and the altitude had an effect on him and were considering signing him because they felt like getting him out of there would have good results. Then Cashman talked to Jim Hendry about it and he heavily recommended it because he drafted him and said he was a good guy and so on.

I'll have to see if I can find the article but there was something about people doing a study that the altitude messed with more than just pitchers

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Jackie Bradley Jr sucks, the only reason the red sox were able to carry his dead weight was the rest of the lineup hit the poo poo out of the ball

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

JBJ's been an average or better player (by WAA) every year since 2015. But go off.

Yeah he looks good on WAA because it values his defense. He's not a bad defender but he can't hit for poo poo and the true value and accuracy of defensive metrics is still a mystery compared to what we actually know about offense.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Pirates are the Rays but worse cause they suck

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

They didn't appear to give up much for him so gently caress it, looks fine to me

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Roflex posted:

Cool, cool, finally.

gently caress

Getting rid of arcane blackout rules would solve this

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

You get people like Tom Verducci waxing poetic about how they hold the weight of the world in their hands and the responsibility is unbelievable and so on

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Moose, Tanaka, and Kuroda :smith:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

runner on second in extras is dumb poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006