Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cleveland Lebrons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lmfao

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/1354211030440710144

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The bloody sock was fake right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hi. Guy who doesn’t follow baseball much here so this is probably a stupid question. So Aaron Judge, an unquestionable superstar and one of the faces of the game on the biggest team in the game has been in the Majors for like 6 years and is now 28 but only makes $10 million a year. The gently caress is up with that?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So you can be a bonafide superstar but you have to wait until you’re just about 30 to really cash in?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That seems not good?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

But then you have that kid getting a 14 year deal out of nowhere? Why is there no rhyme or reason?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The team is gambling that he will continue to produce down the road, and in theory they will save money by paying more upfront, so you lock him up cheaper now and have cost-certainty.

And the *checks notes* New York Yankees can’t do that with their generational talent? I mean I know that a small market outlet like the Yankees is hard up for cash but hey sometimes you need to take risks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

They really haven't spent nearly as willingly since George died.

They also traded for Giancarlo Stanton's massive contract and that has been kind of an albatross as well. I haven't really heard any chatter yet about a possible Judge extension, but I could see the Yankees letting him walk because he is kind of similar physically to Stanton and Stanton just can't stay healthy.

As a kid born in 91 it’s loving weird living in a world where the Yankees aren’t in the World Series every other year.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

there's a weird dynamic in baseball where only like 4-5 teams are trying to win and the rest are just cutting payroll and either blatantly tanking or gambling that the teams in their division are bad enough that they can maybe make the playoffs. The Padres are one of the teams going for it and they are spending money. For example, they traded essentially some teenagers and a mediocre pitcher to the Cubs for Yu Darvish because the Cubs are pretending to be poor because the owners spent a lot of money buying every building in wrigleyville and serving as the funding arm for donald trump. then everyone went nutso so they paid to bring back jake arrieta for a few million.

Yeah how the gently caress did the Cubs go from looking like a budding dynasty in 2016 to reverting back to being the Cubs?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Intruder posted:

Tatis is significantly younger and plays a more premium position

Well the Yankees could have broken the bank when Judge was younger and it was obvious what they had.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Stanton was on the Marlins and everyone knew him because he could hit the ball 500 feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

more falafel please posted:

Outside of baseball fans?

Like, most people don't know who Mike Trout is, and he plays in a major market and may be the best player to play the game ever.

Speaking as someone on the outside I’m pretty confident that most people don’t know that Mike Trout is great because it seems that it’s all measured by analytics that most people don’t give a poo poo about.

Like I watched this video the other day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92ItQ5h0rSU

And absolutely nothing about it stuck with me and I was just waiting for the dude to tell me what his batting average is and how many hits and home runs he’s on pace for.

But I freely admit I’m a simpleton.