Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Whew. Hopefully the playoff posting chuds don't find us here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like Sanchez so like I'm presupposed to give him excuses, but I'm definitely of the mind of "who you gonna do better on?" and "that's not a team priority."

Do him and Higashioka again next season and if he loses his job to his backup then he made the decision for you. You're not gonna get something for him trading 2 cents on the dollar.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lumpy posted:

The big issue with that is they can't seem to stop giving him chances so he'll never lose his job to his backup. Although maybe they playoffs are a sign they will move past that in the regular season, but I have my doubts still.

I mean they "can't stop giving him chances" becuase he's had 2 good seasons out of 4. And even putting aside excuses about injuries or shortened seasons there's obviously a lot of good with the bad and I'm not convinced that (a) the ratio leans negative or (b) there's a better option.

If there was a better option I think we'd be discussing it and there'd be more pressure. But I also don't think its weird that the team doesn't want to give up on the guy unless you REALLY value batting average.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do think the ball has moved on him though and that speaks to it. Because once upon a time the narrative was "We may have to move Gary away from C to preserve his bat." And now the narrative is "Gary better stabilize his bat or get better at C or else he'll lose his job to Kyle Higashioka." That's definitely a shift.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Goat's Yankee priorities

1. Re-sign DJLM
2. Don't sign Bauer.
3. Sign some other pitcher if you don't keep the ones you got.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess they're not so glad they got him this Thanksgiving.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

Cora resigned iirc which is why he's considered the favorite for the Boston job now.

I did not know this and it amused me very much.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kirios posted:

You'd think baseball would at least act like they give a single gently caress about the cans.

Why start now?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, not giving Brantley the QO seems bleak. Both for the Astros and the general market.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its way too early for him to be in the best shape of his life. There's all that holiday food.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean... I don't really want Turner punished... I guess I want something done... but what's the point of pretending to care now?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, I know we have a gentlepersons' agreement not to post Aubrey Huff's twitter but he's having a real one today.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I suppose I can see the logic in bringing Yadier to try and mentor/light a fire under the rear end of Sanchez. I don't agree with it, but I think I can follow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't imagine there's any kind of way to quantify it but I would assume "hit the ball harder/farther" beats out "bloopey little hit that's funny" in terms of how often it might help. But again, that reduces PEDs to the simplified idea of "get stronger" instead of all the real benefits they have of speeding up recovery and healing time (which in turn lets you work out harder amongst other things and often get stronger).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Julio Cruz posted:

do steroids not make you faster? I expect that's the advantage a guy like Dee was looking for

(I'm not an expert but the fact that pretty much every Olympic sprinter bar Bolt has popped seems to indicate they give some advantage)

They speed up your healing time which allows you to work out and train more which if you train in a way that would build muscles to increase your speed, then yes, they theoretically could "make you faster."

I'm no expert so someone can feel free to correct me but my understanding is that PEDs' primary purpose is to help you recover not only from injuries but all the small injuries and aches and pains that add up both from competing and training.
They cut down that time you have to wait for your body to recover after a particularly hard workout or game or whatever. So whether they make you stronger or faster or leaner or the same as you were before depends entirely on how you use them and what your training regime is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm actually fine with silly personal motivations for votes. That's why you got 10 votes. If enough voters have the same kind of emotional attachment to a player that he gets in they hey, maybe he IS a Hall of Famer? I'm ok with that even if his stats don't impress.

I tend to be of the "let in the steroid guys, gently caress Schilling" crowd for the same basic reason that I don't want to give him and his entire world the satisfaction of a platform and celebration. Bonds is a shithead too but he doesn't have an agenda and the Hall is filled with violent shitheads. But I can't blame anyone for being bothered enough by him to not put him on their ballot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So... the teams no longer are team affiliated AA teams but are now like a Cape Cod League?

I guess my Thunder hat no joins my Clippers hat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It irrationally bothers me that the Yankees now have a Patriots affiliate.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The notion that the Yankees were gonna non-tender Sanchez was really a weird angle for NY sports talk these last couple of weeks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I'm glad they're doing it... eventually. But yeah, they're definitely milking every last cent.

edit: Ha, I didnt see the part where they'd just keep selling the racist stuff anyway. sigh

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Braves could change their name and I suspect the fans would still chop.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1347271848694788099

Not sure what the point of this one is but they really should just announce DJLM.

This pleases me because I already have Allen in my Show farm system.

Not that that's how I evaluate player acquisitions...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Can "supporting insurrection" officially rank worse than roids for Hall criteria?

Also, Curt about to get deleted from Twitter like his daddy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know, I kinda think Jeff Kent is a Hall of Famer but I can't wrap my mind around the thought process that gets you to "Jeff Kent is the only worthy person on this ballot."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wanna be a baseball writer so I can submit a solo Bobby Abreu ballot or a writ in Fred McGriff ballot and just confuse the gently caress out of fans for an afternoon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

I think it's mostly a hold over from all the hype Harper had coming into the league at 19. People seemed to always give him a lot of poo poo and I was never sure why, maybe just because he was so hyped that if he wasn't putting up 1.000+ OPS then he must be garbage or because he comes off as kind of cocky, but he doesn't seem like an rear end in a top hat so idk.

Yeah. Harper's great, but he was supposed to be a god so now "great" feels like a disappointment. Which is silly and stupid and unfair but also kind of human.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Here's what happened:

- A bunch of good people ripped down confederate statues.
- Donald Trump got real mad and said they were heroes and should be preserved.
- People got real mad.
- Someone came up with the genius idea of gathering all the statues of racists in one place and sticking Trump's name on it.
- They added some black guys to prove its not racits.
- No one thought about it for 6 months.
- A week before the end of his presidency Trump realized his only legacy is one of the biggest political collapses and ugliest moments in US political history so said "hey, build a giant rear end billion dollar statue park with my name on it and come up with a list of names."
- Someone went to Wikipedia.
- We'll never hear about it again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be honest the breakup of that team feels to me like its just gonna make it worse for that core of Altuve, Bregman, and Correa. They were kind of the focus of things anyway through their own actions and now the less objectionable guys are all leaving so it feels like it lines up for a more focused taunting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

baseball is dead once again

I've been real quiet in this thread just because, man, I got no passion or excitement for baseball. Last season was such a weird * and the future is still so uncertain and I dunno. I'm just totally out of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh right, I'm terrified Trevor Bauer might be a Yankee. Maybe that's why I'm so cold on it all. I'm protecting myself.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

pigz posted:

Huh that's an interesting mix of media market and guy who never stops talking poo poo.

My sincere hope is that someone sat in a room and worked out his stats and the reason why you'd make him and offer and then someone else worked out the pr cost of him talking to NY media.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Jackie Bradley Jr would suffer some terrible injury trying to recklessly steal home runs in that park. Either that or his value drops a ton since he can't. Or he just keeps trying and does something insane like scale the chain link fence.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

gently caress. Hank Aaron dead. Curt Schilling alive. lovely day.

more falafel please posted:

Didn't it come out that all of the stuff about Cobb being racist was made up by a writer who was basically doing a con for publicity?

I tried reading up on that awhile back and my impression was that not a ton was really "disproven". There's some credibility questions but they all come from Cobb's estate and there's still a bunch of poo poo they just make excuses for and whitewash.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 22, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It turns out its totally normal to feel sad about someone dying even if their death isn't statistically unlikely. Who knew?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

I'm not sure why I but I always thought of Austin Romine as a long time Detroit Tiger but apparently that was only 2020? My AL baseball memory is bad.

Also yeah he sure is a uh, back up catcher...

You're thinking of his brother Andrew Romine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Yankee rotation plan this winter has very much sounded like "get as many arms as possible and find the starts."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Abreu and Garcia are clearly in the mix. The Yankees really like Montgomery. Then there's guys like Loaisiga and King. Its gonna be Cole and then whoever is healthy.

If you can move some of those lower guys for a reliable, strong starter then yeah, do it. But I gotta assume when someone says a pitcher was "more expensive" they're talking Gleyber.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there a reason why the Yankees weren't interested in bringing Tanaka back?

It seems to be a combination of wanting to stay under the luxury tax and concern about a long term elbow tear he's had since 2014.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he's only 32 so he doesn't sound old but he definitely feels like an older SP who you expect to start falling apart if he hasn't already.

I still think the Yanks should give him the 1 year deal and pay the luxury tax. But within the lines of the "budget" idea I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

General Bullshit posted:

That Tanaka can pitch in the majors with a torn elbow and mostly secondary pitches is quite impressive.

I think Tanaka's had a very under appreciated MLB career and I'll fight any Yankee fan who questions his tenure in pinstripes. And like I said, I'd be very happy taking a flyer that he can continue to make it work. But I don't run the Yankees.