Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

Cubs will probably do nothing, idk what the plan is going forward. Kinda seems like they might just give up and start over. Or do the usual and hope everything turns around this next year and sign a handful of aging veterans who will get 50 PAs each.
“Sorry, we wrote a big check to the Trump campaign for ‘All the Money’ and we can’t spend any more”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Rangers declined Kluber’s option

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Remember when the Nats gave up guys like Giolito and Dane Dunning for Adam Eaton?

https://twitter.com/jessicacamerato/status/1321523848840359936?s=21

Yeah.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Strelok604 posted:

What the hell happened to Kluber? Feels like he turned into a scrub overnight
He got hurt

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If they can't even trade Brad Hand the players are about to get turbofucked in free agency.
It’s going to be like that one off-season in the 80s where nobody would sign Andre Dawson (I think this was the collusion off-season), so he gave the Cubs’ GM a blank contract to fill out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes that is not TLR’s signature at all

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Things are going to be bad enough for good FAs this year the way MLB is crying poverty, let alone for guys who have struggled to get contracts like Puig

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I could see nobody offering Morton a contract this off-season because collusion is incoming and he’s like 37

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sydin posted:

Hand clearing waivers is a *really* bad sign for FA's this offseason.

That's not even the worse candidate they're considering:

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1322024806821355522

If you're not aware McLeod is the guy who ran the pitching side of our farm into the ground for almost a decade, before being shunted sideways into a do nothing advisor position for somebody who (hopefully) actually knows how to draft and develop pitching.
I think they also interviewed Michael Hill, the recently fired Marlins GM who was never very good at his job

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That ended up being an awful, awful trade

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They're pretty likely to rehire him. It's been rumored since not long after he got fired.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

The fact that the Astros didn't even give Brantley a QO in an offseason where they're losing him and Springer in a thin OF market with no internal options for replacing them is just the cheapest poo poo

Oh god Ryan Braun is going to be an Astro isn't he
Do they really think he would take the QO? They must. I'm sure the players are already getting the indication that the owners are going to cry poverty as much as possible during this offseason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Tyler Kolek... Wasn't he the dude who threw 102 in high school? Marlins first round pick?
Yes he was taken ahead of guys like-

-Carlos Rodon
-Trea Turner
-Aaron Nola
-Matt Chapman
-Kyle Schwarber
-Michael Conforto

In fairness that 2014 1st round is not that great overall. There weren't a lot of 'can't miss' guys.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 2, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

Wasn't there a MOTY fired just a couple of years ago

e: might be thinking of another sport
In 2006 Joe Girardi won NL MoY and got fired

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You know it's bad when one of the star players is like 'well I'm glad they won't treat us like cattle anymore'

also I think I saw that the Mets are inviting Bruce Maxwell to camp which is good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I know this is a huge shock but the Indians are shopping Lindor officially

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1324717318262411264

i will assume he used his time off to learn how to hide his cheating better
Yeah this was pretty clearly going to happen even after they fired him

Plus look how quickly Hinch got another job

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Remember this when the owners tell you they are broke

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Poor Brodie.
also Omar got fired. Again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No seriously, why isn't Turner being punished for this?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The market is going to be poo poo this year so yeah, taking almost $19 mil is probably a good idea

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bawfuls posted:

The only teams left without a Cy Young Award winner are Miami, Colorado, and Texas.

If only Jose hadn't decided to joyride his boat while coked up, he might have brought one to the Marlins.
Dontrelle came very close to winning a Cy Young

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They did say the other day that the pick would be unorthodox

I like it though, she has a good track record

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently her first time interviewing for a GM spot was 2005. Wow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Was this not the year that Jeter was first eligible? I guess it's next year. This is probably the weakest ballot we've had in more than a decade.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean if I’m Epstein I would be pissed that I have to leave as a cost-saving measure because my boss insists on shoveling money into the Trump grift

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Another 4-5 years of rebuilding for the Cubs. Amazing how the Cubs, who are probably the 3rd richest team in the league, apparently can't afford to keep veterans around and have to dump them like we're Oakland.
Look, those Republican PACs aren’t going to fund themselves.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would be extremely surprised if a middle infielder got 5 years in this upcoming market when he's already 31

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Are we sure it’s him and not an intern or something

He posts like a 20 year old

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes I’m surprised that they didn’t mention the Cabrera trade

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean he is far from the only dickbag in the HOF

Bonds deserves to get in, and I think Schilling does also despite how much of a shithead both are

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve seen some good arguments for Billy Wagner but there are a lot of guys that should be in ahead of him so whatever

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's already been a big Covid outbreak in the Dominican Winter League

https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1330851619647463427?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1331020390987165696?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

IMO if the Astros trade Correa they might as well just blow it all up since they are going to let Springer walk. That's a big chunk of offense gone between those two.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

It's hard to say what the first few signings mean for the market. Morton and Smyly got about twice as much money as MLBTR predicted, and Gausman got a QO which no one expected. Seems like teams are willing to spend on short term deals, but we'll see if they're as willing to give out longer term contracts.
I'm thinking no on the guys who aren't top tier because we are in a CBA negotiation year and also the pandemic is making teams more reluctant to spend because we don't know if fans will even be able to attend games in April.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

But can he still bring the heat?
:discourse:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

quote:

The Philadelphia Phillies let go 80 employees on Wednesday, reducing their front office workforce by 20%, reports Marcus Hayes of the Philadelphia Inquirer. A number of Major League teams have diminished their staffs since the pandemic prompted revenue losses all across the sporting landscape, but the Phillies brought their own particular panache to the unfortunate business of layoffs. Hayes reports that employees were alerted of the latest cuts by email the day before Thanksgiving.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/phillies-reduce-front-office-workforce.html

gently caress the Phillies

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It sounds like the Cape Cod League. I don't think they could even pay players because at the point they would be in the league, they would still be 'amateurs'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't believe that indy ball players have contracts that last beyond a season. At least not in my experience.

These indy ball teams that are going to end up becoming MLB affiliates have to pay a fee to get in, according to MLB rules.