Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Endless Trash posted:

Cubs acquire RF Don Jr. for millions and millions of dollars

Unfortunately, his contract stipulates he has to play in a full suit and tie the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Rangers declined Kluber’s option

Corey Kluber’s Million-Dollar Inning

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MLB C/V Offseason: Couldn’t tell where the champagne ended and the spittle started

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Jim Crane is listed as giving only $25K and it's supposedly bipartisan but I find that hard to believe considering the guy was sued for hiring practices regarding minorities and his company was sued and settled out of court for literal war profiteering

He also has a smaller Dem contribution further down the list, so my guess is that it’s just standard legal bribery designed to keep the team in the city’s good graces.

I have absolutely no doubt that Crane personally is a huge racist chud based on his history though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
What I want the Astros to do in the offseason:
- Non-tender Osuna
- Be aggressive about resigning George
- Failing the above, try to sign Brantley to a 2/3 year deal
- Try to extend Correa. He’s an injury nightmare but if you’re going to lose Springer then you’ll need him offensively and he’s a solid defender. Plus, that’ll secure the IF nucleus for a while.

What they’ll probably actually do:
- Somehow keep Osuna around forever
- Let Brantley and Springer walk after incredibly weak negotiations
- Never even broach the subject of an extension with Correa
- Buy some smaller, more discreet cans

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

General Bullshit posted:

I look forward to the impending strike and I hope it destroys the league as it currently exists forever.

The worst thing about the inevitable strike though is that MLB and the owners have been prepping public opinion for well over a decade to instantly turn on the greedy, selfish players and the MLBPA is too toothless to try and fight that perception.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Popete posted:

Nervously cackling at the White Sox well I wait for the Cubs to non-tender every player and replace David Ross with Lance Berkman.

But think of all the Faith & Family nights Wrigley could host then

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
What a week for baseball

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Ahahahahahahha

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Not only is Osuna gone, but the Astros are also done playing the Devo game now.

https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/1322282922246885376?s=21

A good day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/ianmbrowne/status/1322321295292456961?s=21

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I knew Click was gonna be cheap and not do poo poo, but it still makes me angry. I hate the fuckers who run this org.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Bawfuls I’m gonna need the Dodgers to win the WS every four years from now on, so get going on that.

Sorry Cubsposters, you’re never allowed to win again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Strasburgs UCL posted:

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1325654239167721472?s=20

I guess Luhnow has decided not to work in baseball again. I cannot imagine the Astros not settling this, there is no way they want to go to discovery on this.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha come the gently caress on dude no one buys for a second that you were just an oblivious scapegoat

gently caress Luhnow forever lmao

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Are we sure Cohen isn’t a goon posting in this very thread

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Shiroc posted:

I was only in Denver for a weekend but based on how people talked about 'Nolan', trading him to any team seems like it would be hugely damaging. It feels like an *intensely* larger value to the Rockies to try to keep him and make him happy enough than trying to get even a really good prospect return.

I mean this is the same league where Mookie was traded for peanuts and Lindor has been shopped around for three years. Owners don’t give a gently caress about fan happiness because they know you’ll eventually come crawling back out of misplaced ~*team loyalty*~.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

No Safe Word posted:

I don't have a sub so ... what are these trades exactly? (And since it's one per team I'm sad that the Bagwell trade won't be listed since obviously the Babe Ruth trade is worse and probably #1)

The Astros one is trading Joe Morgan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

For a second I thought this was Kyle Tucker’s brother, only to find out that this guy also has a brother in the MLB system. Now I’m wondering what the highest number of MLB brother pairs ever in the league (including majors and minor affiliates) at the same time is. My guess is it might be more common than you think, especially in cases where a club signs a star player’s younger sibling as a way of currying favor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Mets are checking with twitter to see who they should go after lmao

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know the responses will never actually be read by human eyes, but it felt pretty cathartic to just blast Manfred and MLB in every question asked by that email survey.

I also genuinely wonder how many people are going to end up mixing up Mike Trout and Pete Alonso when tasked with identifying either.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Man, I am just absolutely dreading the hot takes my dad will have when they formally announce the name change.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Just make it the Cleveland Master Pizzas :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

LD is made by people who are actual fans of Berman-era Trek and it shows

They are also able to poke fun at the rest of Trek in a fun but loving way. The sequence where they recreate the part in TMP where the Enterprise refit is introduced had me rolling.

This is like that episode where Worf keeps shifting universes and ends up in one where Picard is dead, only this time you jumped to a universe where mcmagic is only wrong most of the time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

“No, no, it’s fine, we can still sell these SS armbands because some of the profit will go to the Shoah Foundation.”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Atlanta Suburbs

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That combined no-hitter is the only one I’ve ever seen in person, so I can’t hate on Biagini too much. He does seem pretty bad and injury-prone though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gerblederp posted:

Fishers first game for the Jays where he let a fly ball hit him in the face instead of catching it set the tone pretty well

lmao I forgot this happened

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

skaboomizzy posted:

Pirates GM said Joe Musgrove and Adam Frazier are on the block too. I get that it's a rebuild and all but good lord this team is gonna lose 100+ games next year and look especially awful doing it

They won’t lose 100+ games.

Mostly because they won’t even play 50+.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Yeah but that last part doesn’t matter anymore because half the teams in the league will make the new expanded playoffs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ngl, empty Hall and Schilling missing the vote would be :discourse:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
popete make the post

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Wow, gently caress Cleveland forever. What a joke.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/dszymborski/status/1348706055052800000?s=21

Kansas City’s is metal as gently caress, Atlanta’s is somehow on brand in terms of offending people

So many good thread titles here

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Well now I definitely don’t care about that list.

LIMA TIME FOREVER

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

pffffffffthahahahahaha

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I want to care about the Astros if they're not gonna re-sign Springer. World Series MVP* homegrown talent and you're gonna let him walk? gently caress off.

*yes I know for the purposes of this discussion I don't care though.

I haven’t kept up with a single baseball thing outside this thread since the season ended because I know it’ll only bring pain and misery, and things like this are why. Crane was handed the perfect excuse to accelerate the next tank phase that was clearly already in the works, and after everything else from the last few years there’s basically zero reason to be emotionally invested in the team in any way now. Just pretend Houston baseball does not exist anymore.

I can’t even derive any joy from Cleveland games anymore because those fuckers sold off the heart of the team just to save a few dimes and they managed to manufacture the most absolutely despicable and cowardly way to finally make a franchise change that should have been done decades ago.

This has been an absolute banner decade for “gently caress All Billionaires” and every headline coming out of this offseason just makes me want to throw hands at the nearest rich piece of poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

alpha_destroy posted:

Trump's dumb garden statue list got revealed and Cy Young is getting a statue lmao. So is Ruth and Clemente, those those are less funny to me than Young. I wonder if there are any other baseball players set to be put in that ridiculous shrine.

Willing to bet Curt Schilling is furiously lobbying for a garden gnome of his own at this moment

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chamale posted:

There are six baseball players: Clemente, Gehrig, Robinson, Ruth, Thorpe, and Young. Also athletes Muhammad Ali, Herb Brooks, Kobe Bryant, Vic Lombardi, and Jesse Owens.

Clemente, Robinson, Ruth, and Thorpe were dedicated anti-racists, but Gehrig and Young are weird choices. Satchel Paige would have been a better choice for a pitcher, and I'd put Ted Williams or Curt Flood in the garden instead of Gehrig.

Andrew Jackson is also on the list, maybe we should just consider ourselves lucky that Trump didn't give Cap Anson a statue.

USPOL theorized that someone gave Trump a giant list of candidates and he just approved them all because he’s lazy, and that would absolutely explain why it’s so broad and all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Joe Musgrove has a sub 100 ERA+, dude is a JAG at best

Why are the Padres trading anything of value for him?

Musgrove rules and I won’t stand for this slander.