Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

can someone put a crown on this and make the background transparent?

make it good and there's a forums upgrade/avatar cert in it for you

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

too late i did it myself but good effort

edit: there was no gap in the previewwwwwwww :argh:

how do I fix this?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 28, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Is Kluber missing next season? Cause turning down an $18 million year for him is....

You might have had to do both images in bb code instead of uploading one and using bbcode for the other, that's all I've got
Odd that the preview doesn't show the issue though, which makes me reluctant to do it again because I won't know if it works until after throwing some more money at it

Guess I should pm some people with the double-tall avys and see if that's how they did it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLByahoosports/status/1321529368414334976

I mean gently caress Turner, but lol at the leage throwing him under the bus when they let a game start without everybody's test results in, and let Turner play for six innings after knowing his test was "inconclusive" in the second.
MLB also had zero enforcement of their protocols in the key moment. It should be entirely predictable that Turner would try to get back on the field for the celebration and MLB was not equipped to stop him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

How much is turner looking to get in the free agent market. The fact that he's 35 and even with 7 very good years in a row he's only been good on the dodgers. This covid stunt is probably seen as a net positive by the average GM (look how much he loves the game) but I don't see a reasonable expectation of more than one year of very good performance out of him.
He just completed his big payday (4 yrs $64M) and the perception at the time he signed that was he took a slightly below-market deal to stay in LA. He not only reached his peak performance as a Dodger but he grew up in Long Beach rooting for the team. He has long been considered a leader in that clubhouse and the emotional core of these recent teams.

If the Dodgers are not criminally stingy, they should be able to work out a deal to keep him in LA the rest of his career, especially with the NL DH likely to return if not in 21 then in 22 and beyond.

This all assumes he isn't permanently debilitated by covid :ohdear:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

That too, there really should been security immediately posted to make sure he didn't try to get back out onto the field, and when he did security should have been a little more forceful than "we asked nicely and he said no, so welp." Makes you wonder how much more of the COVID protocols weren't really being enforced and were just operating on an honor system.
The fact that at least one player and now a Rays family member have tested positive inside the "bubble" also makes me wonder how much of the protocols weren't really being enforced.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I actually kind of hope they don't bring him back, what he did last night was seriously bullshit
I think Zack Greinke is about the only player who might reasonably be expected to have not come back on the field in that context.

What he did was absolutely wrong but to jettison him from the organization over it is ludicrous.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

boroda posted:

I have heard assumptions of like 2/30~32 for Turner. My biggest issue with JT is that I'm worried he'll fall off a cliff and turn into the righty 3B version of Adrian Gonzalez, able to drive it in the gap, but not always fast enough to make it to second.
I doubt he gets the same AAV as the deal he's just completed. For what he's going to get who cares if he breaks down in the last year of it?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They'll play a full season and allow reduced attendance citing this postseason as a "success" for that plan

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

boroda posted:

Barnes seems to be personal catcher for the top two in the starting rotation now. Does that mean Smith continuing to DH a lot? Can Mookie keep Barnes hitting? Does this make Keibert somewhat expendable as a really valuable trade chip (also Cartaya is around lol), or do we just carry three catchers next year?
I expect the Dodgers will work with Will on his framing

his bat is too valuable to give up on him

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vernacular posted:

I think Turner will get the Friedman special: minimal years at a high AAV. Something like the Rich Hill deal.

I'd be happy to see Enrique and Treinen be brought back, but I wouldn't bet on it. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say JT will be the only outgoing FA to re-sign.

An as-is super deep team coupled with the current economic landscape would seem to spell a very quiet offseason for the Dodgers. A JT deal, a few under-the-radar signings and trades...maaaybe an extension for Corey? I am not expecting much.
I kinda expect the opposite for JT: same total value they might offer him in a 2-year deal but spread over 3-4 years. This reduces the AAV for luxury tax purposes which is the main thing they care about. If he falls apart in the last year or whatever he just ends up the veteran vibes guy they want to have around anyway like Chase Utley was.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 29, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yeah i'll take one (1) Brad Hand please

General Bullshit posted:

I look forward to the impending strike and I hope it destroys the league as it currently exists forever.
The 2020 Dodgers, your last and forever World Series Champions :smuggo:

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 29, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh I'm sure a 76 year old TLR will get along just great in that clubhouse, it's gonna be smooth sailing on the south side now!

https://twitter.com/Nick_BPSS/status/1321829317903527936

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Dusty seemed to work for the Astros and he's a billion years old. I guess i'm just so tired of these puppet managers who just listen to what the analytics dept and FO says that I can't poo poo on this as much as I thought.
Can you think of a difference between TLR and Dusty which might be relevant here?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1321900041150337024

TLR gonna show the Sox youngsters how to win without exploiting their opponent's weaknesses

edit: they were about to go with AJ Hinch until Jerry overruled them :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

https://twitter.com/GabeNotDave/status/1321903108604264448

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 29, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

my friend, no!

https://twitter.com/BR_MLB/status/1321902411313606656

between the league-wide excuses to slash spending and now this, Puig may have played his last game in MLB

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

boot him out of the HoF pending the conclusion of his managerial career

better wait until he's dead to consider him again, just to be sure

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/TylerKepner/status/1322032388566880256
"during the games"

king

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bregor posted:

I hope the Dodgers scoop up all these declined options and win again in ‘21 with a $200 million payroll. gently caress the owners and this dumb league
So do I, but if the insurance industry billionaire who owns the Dodgers was ever going to cut back, this winter feels like the time. Cynically, they could coast on this win and the talent already under control for awhile if they wanted to.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

I still don't really see why Houston and Boston bothered firing Hinch and Cora when it was pretty certain they'd be back somewhere else in a year and no one would care by that point.

I mean, I do get it, but I don't see why anybody's bothering putting on airs of integrity here in our nation's Post-Shame Era.
For everyone involved there is PR value in leaving. Hinch and all the key Astros hitters will disperse among other teams and before you know it there's no single team left for fans to direct their anger at.

They all get to say some variation of "that's in the past I'm turning over a new leaf here in <CITY> looking forward to building a winner with this great group"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I don't think this is true.
There were some pretty strong signals that he was clubhouse cancer in Cleveland, based on what people said when he left.

Well if there's one thing hedge fund billionaires are known for, it's NOT treating laborers like expendable commodities!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 30, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

I am surprised hand cleared waivers, as this report indicates

https://twitter.com/mandybell02/status/1322297235833556995?s=21
confirmation that even the Dodgers are gonna cut this winter

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ckurcon/status/1322235201234345984

:discourse:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/JSalisburyNBCS/status/1322248170752167938

Wait so how is Nerris still elligable for arb if the Phillies declined his option? If you sign an extension that has an option that overlaps with your final year of arb, declining that option puts you into arb instead of just making you an FA? If so that's loving bullshit.
Players do not reach free agency until 6 years of service time, period. They are free to negotiate multi-year contracts with their controlling club before that time. Doesn't change the basic rule that it takes 6 years of service time to reach free agency.

If you sign a multi-year contract that only covers arb years, it is by definition not an extension as it doesn't extend your time with the team.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 31, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Maybe. Well the top of the market players will get their money and everyone else gets screwed, that's probably a better way to say it
Do we really expect a 29 year old with a career 117 OPS+ and bad defense to land a big deal this winter?

Maybe he found something this year and is the next David Ortiz but I don't see anyone breaking the bank to find out in this climate.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

turns out there is a space inserted after the top image no matter what, so you either have to put a transparent image up top or have a mod upload the full length image for you

looks like Athanatos hooked me up

it is glorious and I feel the urge to :justpost: so I may gaze upon it more

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 2, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers lost two Cy Young finalists and still won the World Series

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1323400815353057280

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

short season manager of the year is the best award

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1323415207771820032

-guy who's team had the biggest 'rona outbreak and got one of the charity postseason spots
-guy who's team continues to underperform their previous peak
-guy who publicly chastised his team's biggest star for hitting a grand slam

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the Dodgers got Freddie Freeman?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh boy I can't wait to see Clayton Kershaw visit the White House

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

hello fellow sports nerds

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

those hats are much better than the atrociously ugly cubs hats from 2016 and now i'm livid that we didn't get a little bear wearing the world series trophy as a crown
This came from some guy on instagram who seems to make small batches of hats. This one went up twice and sold out within a day both times, I caught it the second time. Not sure why it's always such a limited run, he could sell a ton of the Lebron one I'm sure

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

more falafel please posted:

so what you're saying is you don't have the official hat. Sorry that means your team didn't win which means we have to assign it to the [wheel slows down clicking] twins. Congratulations twins fans
lol I bought aaaaaaaall the dumb poo poo, this was just the first to show up

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

I'm just glad the Dodgers got their ring after all this. This sounds weird but after reflecting a little on it it kind of rights some of the wrongs of the situation. Hell, they should probably win next year too.
it doesn't right poo poo but I agree the Dodgers should do it again and again

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The hyperfocus on JT individually is just MLB trying to shift blame away from it's own institutional failures.

https://twitter.com/AM570LASports/status/1324830744619855873?s=20

https://twitter.com/ChadMoriyama/status/1322517919280979968

Joe Kelly seems to be saying at least one of Ken Rosenthal/Tom Verducci was golfing during the bubble. What other non-player, non-umpire "on-field talents" are there?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 6, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Dodgers fans seem determined to destroy any sympathy they get for 2017 by complaining about not winning thrice.
at least post the tweets of the random morons you found saying this

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bawfuls I’m gonna need the Dodgers to win the WS every four years from now on, so get going on that.

Sorry Cubsposters, you’re never allowed to win again.
Midterms

Even Year... Chalk?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Bawfuls the Dodgers can go to the White House :unsmith:
Oh boy I can't wait for Kamala Harris to tell us what a big Dodgers fan she's always been!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red Sox stuff was in MLB's report. The report made it seem not nearly as extensive as the Astros scheme (largely because it said the Red Sox were only signaling batters with a runner on 2nd) so people just never got all that riled up about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1325287203224903680

whoopsiedoozle wonder how that might have happened
If you read the piece a bunch of these people weren't in Texas. Of course it's all vague on details because MLB dgaf at this point, they got the season and playoffs in so they don't care anymore.

quote:

most of the people who tested positive were outside the so-called bubble at the World Series in Arlington, Texas.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 8, 2020